Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CUD DC in a state of paralysis

Wogenotche,

Sible is simply saying it is broke and let's fix it.
CUD-DC as well as the other Support Groups, help is out there. This is about Ethiopia and we are all in this together. Let's stop this bickering and let's get busy. Who wouldn't want to work along side a trooper like Sible? C'mon Ethiopian women rise up to the occasion and save the day, your brothers need help.

Email: kinijit2005@hotmail.com

City: Portland

To those who are trying hard to divert the real issue that has been addressed by the ER editorial staff.

The issue has never been about the CUD in Ethiopia. It is about the CUD-North America in general and CUD-DC in particular.
What started the debate is the failure of these support groups to capitalize on the momentum gains of the CUD-Ethiopia.

Failures
1. No major efforts in setting up support groups at different US cities.
2. The leadership inability to work with experts, CUD-supporters/members, civic groups, friends of Ethiopia, and other political group in the Diaspora to score a major diplomatic gain for CUD.
3. The struggle in Ethiopia has intensified and the need to fund different regions to sustain the dynamic political development is at its pick, but no new strategies to raise money in North America.
4. A terrible PR job.

These are some of the obvious ones, but if we try to analyze each number the problems are enormous.
I believe most of us here look forward to see CUD-North America organized better to support CUD-Ethiopia efficiently.

Next time we will discuss the causes of these problems.

Email: Haile_haile@yahoo.com

City: TN

i'm one of the volunteers for the cud in dc. following the successful worldwide demonstrations, a plan had been worked out to organize fund raisings in 21 cities. the plan was quashed by none other than the so called cud dc leaders. these people killed the strong momentum. it's customary to always attack the carrier of bad news. but that's not going to help the struggle at home. all concerned ethiopians through out the united states need to start focusing on getting the cud dc back on its fit. because the cud dc is the center for all the cud committees in other cities.

Haile,

I think it's as important to talk about the way the moderator has addressed the issue as it is about the issue itself.

CUD DC may be doing a terrible job for all I know. If the moderator wanted to point that out, he could have written a constructive article, perhaps stating what is expected from CUD DC and asking questions about whether such is being delivered and if not, why. Instead the tone of the article is completely accusatory, and ends with demanding the lot of CUD DC be fired. How is that constructive? It isn't.

We should keep in mind that CUD DC, if it has problems, is certainly not alone among Ethiopian political and even civic organisations in the diaspora and at home. I think we would all agree that Ethiopian political and civic organizations, any entities that require some degree of collective consciousness, are notoriously fractious and ineffective. Given this, perhaps we should ask ourselves what we are doing as a society that causes us to be this way, rather than pointing the finger at particular individuals or groups of people. Perhaps the type of social interaction displayed by the moderator in his article is one of the underlying causes of the problem.

Hence the importance of discussing the moderator's approach to the issue.

Email: a@b.com

hirna,

are you trying to deflect attention from solving the problem? ER is not the issue. ER simply put a light on the frustration of many ethiopians in the washington dc area, including me, who wish to see action from cud dc. for this we appreciate ER. we want action from cud dc. when are they going to hold a fund raising event? when are they going to organize protest rallies? are they going to hold regular public meetings? what you wrote is useless psychobable, i'm sorry to say.

daniel, I have made it clear in my post that there are two issues - the moderator's article, and CUD DC itself. I discussed the moderator's article because I think it important.

I also suggested that any discussion of CUD DC should involve constructive criticism (or praise if any). I did not go beyond that because I am not intimately familiar with the issues or problems in CUD DC.

It seems you are familiar with the problems, if any, with CUD DC and have raised some legitimate questions. Good, you ought to put these questions to CUD DC and get them answered. You should perhaps publicize your exchange in order keep the process transparent. If you are unhappy with CUD DC's response and think there needs to be a change in leadership, then gather enough like-minded people and vote the current leadership out. If CUD DC is not a democratic organization, then you should get enough like-minded people together to lobby CUD Ethiopia to change this. I think that's the way things are done here in the West, and that's why things work here.

As for the useless psychobable, fine, but it would help if you explain why it is useless psychobable instead of just labeling it. You've done exactly what the moderator has done. This is what I mean when I say what is needed constructive criticism, not name-calling.

Hirna,

We are calling for fundamental change, you want us to look hard to find something good about CUD-DC. We can shower them with empy praises so long as they fade away from the scene.

hirna,

What do you call this?

<>

What "social interacton" are you talking about? The moderator simply passed on to a wider audience what cud supporters in the washington dc area are saying in private and public, when given the opportunity. Genuine cud supporters and members in dc are ecstatic that ER took up the issue and presented it in a way that no one will ignore. As an insider let me tell you some news: In the past two days there is a lot of movement, a lot of discussion between the leadership in Addis and members of the committee. Ato Hailu Shawel himself is getting involved. You will see a shake up of leadership and a more responsive and active committee soon. We owe all this to ER.

Meskerem wrote:
We are calling for fundamental change, you want us to look hard to find something good about CUD-DC.

I said no such thing. I even said that I know nothing about the CUD DC situation, and that the CUD DC committee may be doing a terrible job for all I know. I just didn't like the way the moderator wrote his criticism. To an outsider like me, who does not know whether CUD DC is functioning or not, the article sounded like alubalta, devoid of hard facts.

Let me put it this way. How would you react if I wrote the same article about CUD Canada (where I live) and you have no inside knowledge of the situation? Wouldn't you wonder to yourself whether I was trying being divisive and perhaps have some personal issues with those I am attacking? Wouldn't it be better if I wrote the article in a way that would illustrate the problem with hard facts instead of vague references to this or that meeting? Wouldn't it be better if I talked about institutional weaknesses, such as the lack of a democratic structure, rather than focusing on the members of the committee themselves? I think so.

hirna,

you are focusing on the individual moderator yourself, and yet you are telling ER not to focus on the individuals at the cud dc. do you see how you contradict yourself? it seems that what bothered your more is not the lack of activity by the cud dc committee, which is hurting the struggle at home, but why the cud dc committee was criticized by er. those of us in the dc area who are trying to help cud's struggle in ethiopia are more than happy that er spoke loudly for us.

Hirna,

ER can't be responsible for your lack of willingness to gather background information to fully educate yourself on the matter. This is about CUD DC, and for those who are familiar with the issue fully understand ER's appeal.

Dear Moderator::: Thank you for doing your job. Putting pressure on others to do more, is not disrespecting them. It is out of expectation to see better. We have a different level of expectations, that is why some of us tend to put more pressure on others, those in charge of representing us. To tell them "You could do better again!". I am with you 100%, let's keep putting pressure on the CUD/UEDF in diaspora. They are in a less stressful situations compared to those CUD/UEDF...at the site of the battle.

One problem of CUD_Diaspora is none of its officals are elected by the community they claim to lead. We have to stop behind the people appointments. Bring also vibrant leaders without controvertial past. ER thanks for exposing our weakness.

Moderator you are doing great job. Everybody should be stirred up to do more. We want to see a time of movement that we saw around the election. We need to be persistent in our struggle. Wake up organizers!!!

Email: habessha@yahoo.com

Hey guys please leave ER alone.

May be part of what he said is true and although what he wrote may hurt CUD for a moment if unchecked it will be diseasterous on long term. Let him say what he fills and let the CUD main office investigate and either proof or disproof ER's alligations.

But don't grossy agree or disagree with ER before any investigation. That is the problem all of us ethiopian have. Instead of saying let's us investigate we simply express our wish which may be different from reality.

Please stop blaming ER and try to atleast investigate and say something.
Bye for now

Ayalew, Dallas

City: ayalew03@homtail.com

It is true CUD has public support both in Ethiopia and in disappora but this support isn't the leader's political maturity or their political program. CUD was running for election with out international observers. CUD didn't care whether NEB is changed or not. CUD were running from responsibilities when the people of Addis demonstrating. CUD isn't willing to work with UEDF. UEDF struggle is wiser than CUD. For Ethiopia's political betterment, these two parties should solve their ideological difference. The fact is their similarities are larger than differences. CUD DC and UEDF DC play main role in this part.

Email: bdabay04@yahoo.com

City: DC

You guys,you don't know what it means paralysis.For me most of the paralysis are irrecoverable but in case of the CUD DC,they may undergo in state of impairment which is mild and can be heald if they get the right treatment that is a constructive criticism.As to all political entities CUD can have certain shortfalls leave alone this minor disorganisation which prevails for the time being.It happens everywhere where there exists such a kind of a political movement.

Do not try to compare to any political bodies ;such as TPLF/EPRDF.This political party has a strong base. To arrive the party has walked a long and tiresome journey.

How many years it has taken this party to reach to this state?
How was the degree of their sacrification?
I leave the answer to you,my fellow Ethiopians!!!

In this case the CUD in DC is in infantile stage!
Leave them to grow and ripe correctly but never withdraw from giving them the appropriate critics.
They are human being as you and me,they can commit mistakes,if you tell them they they can correct themselves!!!!!

Don't worry

City: Paris

I think it is time now for an appropriate response from the HQ( Addis Ababa) about this issue. Having stayed in DC area for long, so far CUD and its constituent parties have existed more as a support group than as a Committe per se, ( I stand corrected if otherwise).

In any case there is great deal of information gap between what the publc knows about the "Committee " if ever there is one, and what is being talked about.

Any one in a position to clear the air?

Selam Yitadeg,

The confusion has been cleared today. Members of CUD committee in Washington, DC have answered all questions posed by the people on Nigat Radio, www.negatradio.com. I don't know if you have listened to the interview at 950 or 810 AM. It is not at all what ER wants us to believe. The committee is still working closely with the support group, called Enem Le Hagere, which by the way supports all Opposition parties,not just CUD according to Ato Solomon, the founder of the group. Moreover, according to the committee member there are no any motives for calling the meeting on the said date. He said it is only a prepartion for the coming conferences and meetings. He made it clear it was not intended to stand against anyone. They also said there is no money in their possession, unlike what ER wants us to believe.

So my friend, ER, unfortunately is pulling the trigger before getting the facts straight. I hope next time around they will double check their information before they make it public.

Thank you,
Yebret Qolo

"I think it is time now for an appropriate response from the HQ( Addis Ababa) about this issue. Having stayed in DC area for long, so far CUD and its constituent parties have existed more as a support group than as a Committe per se, ( I stand corrected if otherwise).

In any case there is great deal of information gap between what the publc knows about the "Committee " if ever there is one, and what is being talked about.

Any one in a position to clear the air?" [ Yitadeg]

I am a long time resident of DC and supporter of CUD. I have contributed a lot of my time and hard earned money for AEUO and for CUD. Like all my friends I have been one of the frustrated supporters. Thanks to Ethiopian Review now the radio programs in DC and the public have started to ask hard questions and finally the CUD dc committee is forced to answer. Even though I am happy that the CUD dc officials are finally making themselves available for questions, they are still refusing to acknowledge the problems in the committee and correct them. I am also distrubted by the venemous attack by some of the committe members and their cliques against Ethiopian Review and its editor for criticizing them. I said to myself these people are ignorants who forgot what CUD is struggling for. I have to say not all of them are like that. Not even a majority of them. Just a few lumpen among them. We owe ER for a great public service. My message to ER is to stay firm and do more of what you are doing. I and my friends stand with you. Regarding the thousands of dollars that was not sent to Ethiopia, I heard it in my own ears from one of the organizers of the fund raising event, Dr Mankelklot who has a radio program. So do not tell me there is no money. I missed the Negat radio interview tonight, but if any of the committee members said there is no money sitting in the bank not sent to Ethiopia because of disagreements, they are lying. Call Dr Mankelklot and ask him. He also talked about the problem on his radio. Please do not try to hide all these problems under the rug if you really care for our people back home. This is an urgent public matter that needs to be solved immediately so that we can get back to the serious business of collecting money and other jobs.

This is what i was affraid of. CUD must do something
now before it is to late and must elect new leader

City: north America

The most intriguing thing is that at times the position of the opposition tilted toward the centrifugal force,some thing from within is swaying in a way which put every one in absolute topsy-turvey,with such a move of getting tired and sick of the old ones seem futile, joining the opposition just about 160 days before the election, and now with a pace so descretedly grabbing the leadership is un attainable; I blieve the CUD-DC is nothing than being attributed to the idea of the very new groups who in such power hunger need to dominate the very influntial young leaders like Mr. Lidetu Ayalew, you know one of the pivotal factors among other things is that the people of Ethiopia is in a state of perceiving who is for what and the chance to deceive is over.alas! the time is for the old ones in the struggle but for the young and bright guys; hence people in the DC cud do really need to ponder and consult issues with their guys on top to refrain from such devisive course.

City: Takomapark

It is shame, unbelievable and frustration when members of a political party (CUD-DC) behave the way we are hearing about. I thought you who are living in a well developed democratic country (US) would play big roles about the democratisation and development of your country (Ethiopia). I also thought you would do anything including at the expense of your personal benefit for the sake of Ethiopia. I also thought you would never wish to have power or financial reward unnecessary while the people of Ethiopia is among the poorest of the poor. We are not became the way we are by nature but because of our mistakes. I also thought you are hungry of leadership, good governor and development to your country. I also thought you already knew even before you joined the party that the Ethiopian people need leaders not rulers. I don't understand how some of you are thinking off. Are you still thinking that the Ethiopian people will accept you with the diseases you have that you became unable to solve differences even among themselves for the sake of the country? Modern politic we are looking for Ethiopia is not the way you are looking first to benefit yourself. To be a politician is to be a hard worker with lots of responsibilities for the sake of the mass. A company or individual is selecting the best among the many not because of to affect the interest of the company but to get more benefits. If any one of you is looking to get power to benefit yourself at the Expense of Ethiopia, get over. It would be wise to you if you change from this bad behaviour. The Ethiopian people will hire you after became sure that you will bring best results to benefit first the people. You have to understand that you are also part of the people, and you are part of the benefit this way, too.
I think, you the old guards who are grown differently and thinking centuries back as feudal, are causing troubles among the young, competent, and energetic Ethiopians in the CUD-DC. The time to get respect just by talking personal stories is not working any more. It is not a theoretical time but practical. You also will never get respect or advantages because of your age before Ethiopia. Ethiopia is before (first) than each of us is looking for personal benefit.
Dictatorial behaviour and power is something you impose. Leadership and respect is something you get not demand. It is a shame when you failed to learn how democracy works in the country you are living (US) and translate to use it according to the ethiopian circumstances. I thought you even would go further and became more understandable long a go about our democracy that is on the way to born. We are in the process delivering democracy in Ethiopia although we are the oldest country on earth. We are in a critical point. It is the time to become together for one big purpose (poor Ethiopians; their head and body are eaten by lice and other parasites, who are getting pain from hunger, who are dieing from preventable diseases, who are playing with flies, who have no shoes, who are living the same ways close to animals, who are counting with the world population only because of they are still breathing and with many weaknesses causes because of leadership failures. I think those CUD in DC have no idea about the people they are looking to lead or are they looking to rule with destruction? If not, they would totally concentrate looking the Ethiopian people first rather than themselves while they are living a comfortable life in US.
I still believe that there are only few troublemakers in the CUD-DC putting the whole process in jeopardy. I’m not a member of any political party as many of us are. But I’m very much concern and looking the best to the Ethiopian people as many of us are. I even sometimes am thinking more than necessary throughout the day and night for the sake of my country. When I and others who are not in the middle of the game are looking the most and doing the best for the sake of the country, those centre players (party members) have to work hard as far as giving themselves to the interest of the country. If you are looking your political membership to give you the benefit that you cannot get it somewhere else because of you are not competent enough doing something in practical, forget about it. It happened in the past and as the result our country became the way as she is now. To build a house demands lots of sacrifices. To live in a house is comfort and benefit. Right now we are in the process building democracy in our beloved country. We all have to contribute as much as we can to build a one big family home (democracy) for all Ethiopians. Politicians in America are living in democracy that built long a go. If some of you who are living in US are looking to live as politician the way that in the US is, you are wrong. We are in the process building democracy paying including expensive sacrifices.
I’m a young man. Some of you in the CUD- DC are by age older than me. Some of you also have been members of the past failed regimes in our country. If you are really thinking positively, you would identify the past mistake easily and early and teach the young generation in order not to repeat. You would be the first to accept changes from the past mistakes that have vertical characteristic relationships, not side by side as an equal citizenship. The bad and cruel one standing over the good and weak head, emotion and shoulders to reach (get) the highest positions is not acceptable anymore.
The CUD members in Ethiopia are wide, long and deep sighted about their country. We know the life situation they are living. They are under constant fret by a brutal regime. Some members of the party have no even job (income). Others have only one pairs of old shoes, no extra cloth to change, no place to feel home and etc. But they are committed to sacrify to our common country. Those CUD-DC are living a comfortable life. They are free to gather, demonstrate, speak or what ever they want to do for the sake of their country while those in Ethiopia can't as they are living with constant fret under a gunpoint. Yet those in US whom the Ethiopian people have big expectation from them are doing something unimaginable.
I know most members of CUD-DC are working hard for the sake of the country. Only few (may be those too old to have dreams and ambitions to create good results the right way) are causing troubles like few foxes are doing against the whole herd. If the CUD-DC are not solving their differences by themselves with major operation soon by eliminating those foxes, the people of Ethiopia (around DC) must intervene with responsible behaviour. We have to stop criticizing by generalizing the mass while those creating troubles are few and known. We have to gesture our fingers directly towards those responsible creating troubles at the time we all Ethiopians have to come together leaving personal differences behind.
Look immigrants from Cuba how they are influencing the American Govt policy against Cuba for many years. The number of Ethiopians in US is not much less than those from Cuba. But the Ethiopians are criticizing and cat fighting with each other rather than become one strong force to have significant influence including the American policy towards Ethiopia. Many of us are lions, tigers or cats among each other but cows, sheep or mice against others. Instead of becoming one united strong force to influence the American policy towards Ethiopia and getting financial assistances to finance the financially weak CUD party back home, you are fighting with each other like vultures over scrubs that was not there to feed even the few.
Don't make us sick. If you can't function properly, leave it. Ethiopia have many children. Don’t be a shadow or hurdle in front of those who are able to contribute the best. Ethiopians deserve to have those who work for them, not vice versa. I think young Ethiopians and women who are educated and understand how modern politic works have to take their responsibility for the sake of their country. Dictatorial behaviour or respect because of age or some personal history is not coming before Ethiopia. Every one and everything must be after Ethiopia. We have to become more that ready to benefit first Ethiopia rather than vice versa as some of you who have heads working with old and infected software (brain) are looking for.

God Bless Ethiopia and the competent and good people of Ethiopia. God bless CUD back home whom are examples to all of us how politic in present Ethiopia has to work. God Bless UEDP and others who are working to benefit Ethiopia. Let God makes or totally breaks CUD-DC in order the young and energetic politicians get space to contribute the best of their ability to their poor people back home. I also ask the Ethiopians in US and around the world to continue with their financial and moral contribution to opposition parties back home. They are doing well. soon our country will be us(to all Ethiopians). Those who want to visit, live, work, invest or something else will be free to do in their beloved country with their people and environment the way they want and wish. $10,- worth lots in Ethiopia. It can help a jobless but a good Ethiopian asset young man or woman to continue working to bring positive change in Ethiopia. There are many reliable channels to send money or other material supports directly to party members back home.

I also have to admire the moderator bringing this issue earlier. He got some criticism at the time including from me, because of no one expected like this shame and disastrous situation would occur among the so called Ethiopian politicians in US while those back home are doing well with circumstances which are very bad. I think moderator have right about what is going on inside CUD-DC. all along I admire you, moderator. If you are demanding apology, I’m asking you to receive it although no one was criticizing you intentionally but to the sake of the country. We still feel our politic is like an iceberg during summer season or like playing with eggs on a rocky mountain. I believe you also have understanding about the general behaviour of your customers. Continue giving contribution with your remarkable service to Ethiopia this way as I do mine in different ways. Your, mine and others purpose (goal) is our beloved beautiful Ethiopia that became poor and weak because of her children unwise and childish behaviour.

Email: Gimma@hotmail.com

Sir!

Arguing is one of the magnifiers that help to see and evaluate weak and strong ideas. Diversity of ideas should be welcomed and discussed thoroughly before they're going to be picked and implemented. This is the essence of democracy. Principle of politics is not dogmatic. Do you know one of the problems of Bushmen [Woyane]? The TPLF is pulled by the principle dreamed by one guy [Meles]. The other gangsters are simply followers, like a follower of a fortune teller. They do not know what to do tomorrow or after tomorrow, and they do not know where to go. That is why the party is spoiled and rotten before it was born. Do not forget that stagnant water spoils.

So, Brother when you see people are fighting for ideas, you do not have to hurry to condemn them, because it just for good. You may ask me what our responsibility is in this particular case. The answer is easy. If you are really on people side, and when when you see an argument, first, try to identify the main points [ideas] that people are fighting for. Then, invite people and gather their opinion. It helps you to know how many people are supporting each idea. If you like, you can put yourself from any group that you think compatible to you. I think this is what is expected from us instead of saying paralysis or dead, or something similar. Here is I think our problem.

Email: teshager_til@yahoo.com

City: Chicago

Teshager...I believe this is not the way to do it. We need to stop releasing our negative energy and power ourselves with positive energy...If there differences, let them be resolved in amicable manners instead of exchanging bitter words in the presence of Weyane.....

ELIAS GOOD JOB YOU ARE THE ONLY REPORTER WHO DIDNT TOOK POSITION LIKE ETHIOMEDIA FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANK YOU FOR EXPOSING THE CONTRADICTION BETWEEN DR BIRHANU AND LIDETU TO THE WORLD NOW CUD DC UNABLITY TO ORGANIZE IT SELF THIS ALL INDICATES CUD HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER 5 MORE UNLESS IT COLAPSES BEFORE THAT.

GOOD JOB KEEP UP YOUR GOOD JOB EXPOSING THE OPPOSITION.

Email: mahder@yahoo.com

Wodigeralti,

You wish CUD will wait another five years of Melese and dictatorship, It ain't gonna happpen. The problem is at CUD-DC not CUD-Ethiopia so what is the wait for.

You are a slick Ehadeg.

I wish peace come to your head and heart

Email: yahoo.com

City: CA

WEDIGERALIA,
You are another despicable Woyane, who have no shame that stands by the killer of innocent Ethiopians. You think you are so smart. You are twisting what was said to benefit your cause. Elias never questioned the ability of CUD leaders. Your sarcasm shows your lack of good judgment.

Nega,
If any one needs urgent medical care, it is your boss Meles. You need to put the killer Meles in psychotic ward before he goes on another killing spree. The opposition leaders haven’t caused harm to anyone.

Hmmm?

I think we need an organization that will list and expose woyane's and eprdf members for their treason, at least those who pretend to act for ethioia but are for self interest and in the process for ethiopia's enemies...history will remember your treasons that is for sure.

CUD DC must make changes, otherwise, they are doing the work of woyane's wish to see a divided opposition as it is their current campaign. ER will certainly and should be given credit along with others but if no changes are done, then what is CUD DC about?!?
After all, ethiopian americans, espeically those in DC should make the most difference by as the user 'solomon keshewa' said, lobby congress, media and encourage ethio civil orgs to unite and get a more effective campaign against woyane-ehadeg! Is it really that complicated CUD DC????!?!?

Peace!