Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CUD DC in a state of paralysis

Ethiopian Review
August 18, 2005

Members and leaders of the Coalition for Unity & Democracy (CUD) in Ethiopia are being harassed, tortured and killed by the Meles regime while struggling to liberate our country from tyranny and poverty. Ethiopians around the world are assisting the opposition parties' struggle at home. Unfortunately, the people who have been assigned the task of coordinating support from Ethiopians in the Diaspora are undermining the struggle by failing to carry out their responsibilities. Instead of organizing fund raising events, lobbying and educating U.S. government officials about the dire political situation in Ethiopia, informing the public about CUD's activities at home, recruiting new members, etc., members of the CUD committee in Washington DC spend most of their time arguing with each other, picking fights with other groups, trying to prove who's more loyal to CUD, and debating on trivial matters. They turned the CUD DC committee into a debating society.

Many Ethiopians in the Washington DC area who wish to support CUD's struggle for peace and democracy at home are frustrated with CUD DC's lack of leadership. To make matters worse, the CUD DC committee goes out of its way to undermine the efforts of independent groups that have been created by concerned Ethiopians to fill the vacuum. One of these groups is Ene Le Hagere, whose members have succeeded in raising tens of thousands of dollars for CUD. Instead of appreciating the efforts of these people and encouraging to do more, the CUD DC committee is actively undermining their activities. One egregious example is that Ene Le Hagre had called a public meeting recently and invited CUD and UEDF officials to talk about their activities and plans. After the group announced the date of the public meeting, CUD DC called its own public meeting one week in advance without any preparation. The meeting turned out to be a debacle since it was organized hastily just to throw off Ene Le Hagere.

It's unbelievably idiotic for the CUD DC committee to turn away concerned Ethiopians such as Ene Le Hagere and others who have come together to support CUD's struggle inside the country. Successful political parties around the world actively seek the help of independent groups. CUD DC is doing it the other way--it actively pushes away those that wish to help, like an exclusive country club.

CUD members and leaders, both at home and in the Washington DC area, need to start asking questions. What is going on with the CUD DC committee? Because of the troubles the CUD DC is creating, tens of thousands of dollars that have been collected are tied up and kept in the bank. This money is desperately needed in Ethiopia.

CUD leadership in Addis Ababa needs to take action. ER recommends that CUD's chairman send a well experienced organizer to Washington DC whose task will be to dissolve the CUD DC committee, fire its leaders who are currently sleeping at the wheel, develop a strong organizational structure, and allow members to democratically elect new leaders.

A person well suited to carry out such a task is Ato Andargachew Tsige, who played a major role in devising CUD's organizational structure and campaign strategy.

If the CUD leadership in Addis Ababa fails to do this soon, the enormous potential of the Ethiopian community in the Washington DC area to support the struggle at home will stay unrealized.

Re: CUD DC in a state of paralysis

if i am not mistaken ato Andargachew came recently to D.C. if that is true, he lack the credibility to the people.it seems that you are endorsing at andarge( keep in your mind that some group of people may not be happy about ato andarge's leadership) Moreover, the diaspora ethiopian community should work together as one not siding for CUD or UEDP or others.the money which was raised should be distributed for individuals who lost their loved ones, attorney expenses for people who faces court in an election related cases and to strengthen the individual opposition parties as well. as far as i know our people want a good administration whoever is on power( except TPLF).
selam

I admire the moderator contribution concerning the Ethiopian current situation. But I have difficulty about the ability he/she has choosing the topics since the Berehanu Nega affair. The moderator is sometimes intending to give a media service to Ethiopian as the western media groups are doing to their orents. Moderator has to understand that Ethiopians are not like the western. We are not the developed one using information or discussion in constructive ways. The last time rising some questions in me saying w like what is the moderator main purpose having this site? Is the moderator career or the Ethiopian benefit first? If Ethiopia is first, then don't post sensitive issues before you know the reality. Take your time with sensitive issues as I see here about the CUD in DC. Leave them alone. If you have difficulty selecting issues, we can help you. All in all you are doing well. But Ethiopia must be first than everyone's career. Media groups are making career during bad Times, but not against their own people. Take CNN; it happened during first gulf war

Email: Gimma@hotmail.com

ER you are doing good. It is better to inform from the begining than after the explosion. I hope this will help the concerned body to see its week sides and take action accordingly on time. Some may think this will help the EPRDF to split the opposition but it is wrong, there is nothing hidden. We don't need the weyane way of poletical systems where every thing will be kept secret until it explods like the case of Eritrea and the problen inside the woyane itself.
Lets make every thing transparent and let the people share all the goods and bads.

It is good to expose the problem but your suggested solution is not appropriate. It seems like you are forgetting the whole concept of a democratic system. We have to be tollerance of other ideas and groups without crying foul.

Email: cud4ever@yahoo.com

City: Detroit

Hi dear all,

Every body soutted against this article. But in reality the diasporas seem saying "Mission accomplished" simply because they demonstrated on june & july. But that is not all. The people's choice has not yet been respected. We have to continue our struggle until the end. Endurance has to be our slogan. "yand semon girgir keziya makom le woyane temechitotal". It seems that Woyane realized this weakness, it took too long time for probing allegation to neutralize our struggle. We have to unite, endure & persist. "Yebeg koda lebisew kemimetu tekulawoch entenkek"

Email: wegenetenesa@yahoo.com

I hope CUD party members in DC are driven to free the Ethiopian people who have been in prison for the last 14 years instead of bickering around. They need to work hard and urgently. Our people are being tortured and killed. There is no time left. I hope there is no enemies’ with-in that has been created by Meles. These need to be investigated. As saying goes-"Money Talks"

Dear Moderator,
ER has been at the forefront of struggle for over a decade. I'm certain ER was contacted by other CUD supporters in regard to lack of vigorous party activities(including fund raising)as well.
Our fellow brothers and sisters in Ethiopia who are putting their lives on the line deserve nothing less than the best representation in the Unites States.

Email: nmengistu1@aol.com

City: la

ER, Obeviously, this incident occured just soon after the formation of CUD, the individuals in the DC area, some if not all came up not only with the idea of marginalizing individuals, groups and other political organizations but also with undermining heros like Lidetu Ayalew, as an active member of the diaspora, I know how these very individuals stick with the idea of creating such a bizzare in and around the DC area, some of them are not willing to accept the reality and have made themselves heros way ahead of Mr. Lidetu and the likes of who had been in the struggle for freedom of conscience for the last fourteen years

City: Takomapark

There is always minor disagreements that happen when people work together. I know the representatives of CUD here in DC. They are the most committed people I have come across so far. People, I am talking about these people abandoning their families priorities to work for the cause of our country and what CUD is standing for. Despite the very demanding life here in the US, they have decided to committ themselves to this important responsibility to help however they can.
If we, Ethiopians in the DC area, feel like they are not doing a good job, there certainly is a much better way to approach the problem and the representatives with out undermining their efforts and their best intensions.

Moderator:
I suggest that you take out this inflamatory topic and let us resolve this problem internally. This is hardly the time to bicker with in ourselves. Please, remove this and other deragatory comments about CUD and it's leaders from your forum. What your doing is not strategic. We, the Ethiopian community are very well aware of some minor problems that might arise in our struggle to save our country from TPLF, but that does not by any means meanwe can't work together. We know we CAN, WE WILL, AND WE HAVE TO, AND WE ARE WILLING TO RESOLVE OUR PROBLEMS TOGETHER BY DISCUSSING AND BRAINSTORMING BECAUSE WE ALL WANT THE SAME THING; SAVE OUR COUNTRY ETHIOPIOA FROM THE DISTRUCTIVE PATH TPLF IS TAKING HER.
WE ALL KNOW WE LOVE EACH OTER, WE UNDERSTAND MINOR PROBLEMS HAPPEN EVEN AMONG BROTHERS ADN SISTERS, BETWEEN PARENTS ADN THIER CHILDREN, BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY HATE EACH OTHER OR HAVE BAD INTENTIONS FOR ONE ANOTHER.
SO, MY BROTHERS ADN SISTERS, LET US FOCUS ON OUR # 1 ENEMY, TPLF, AND LET US FOCUS OUR ENERGY TOWARD THAT !!!!
AMESGNALHU
ETHIOPIA AND HER PEOPLE WILL LIVE FOR EVER AS ONE PROSEROUS RESPECTED NATION!!!!!!

Selam Elias,

Endate neh? You did not respond to my last email when you wrote about Dr. Berhanu. I thought you went too far and maybe too quick to judge and as it turned out you were wrong. However, it is totally understandable to make a mistake and I don't fault you on it and I am sure you have learned from it.

And today, I saw your post about CUD DC group. I thought you did an excellent job not because the story was something I or many other wanted to hear but because you did what had to be done: expose the wrangling and waste of this group when they should actually be working together and stand up for our people in Ethiopia.

I even went and read the comments section and expectedly most were against you. I don't think the latest article exposing the inefficiency of CUD DC can be compared to your last article. I think they just want to blame you and but I now see you are doing your best as an independent media to cover the stories. It looks like you understand that your job is not to please but as media to tell the truth even if it is a story most would prefer not to hear. And this is exactly the responsibility of the media otherwise you would be another Walta, FanaRadio and the rest of government junk.

I also think it is because of people like you who are willing to challenge we have the CUD and it had made a huge impact in just a short time. We don’t need people to conform for the sake of fitting and we need people to challenge and you are doing it. If CUD is to succeed we need to be able to take criticism in the public. The other option is to be like TPLF where only a single man makes the decision and that is not how we want to see CUD operate. I know most people will not appreciate it but I now believe you are gong to make a real difference.

Great job Elias! I am sure you are making enemies from all sides and I am sorry about that but I can definitely see you are man of truth.

tsega

Dear All:
In my opinion what the moderator is saying is that let CUD DC be as active as it should be. We are in a time where time is of the essence. One needs to strike the iron when it is hot. There are millions of resons to thank the moderator- he created this forum for us and the whole world so that the truth about the political process in Ethiopia could be disclosed to the international community.

In my opinopn, urging CUD DC to do more has nothing to do with division. I don't care if any one is fired if unfit for the job. After all this is about a fate of a soverign nation. Even a 7-11 supervisor could fire you for failing to show up at your work. In demcoracy fairness and justice should be considered before anything else, and let's just do that before we throw something into the eyball of the onlooke

I was flabbergasted to learn this because we all admired those productive and brave CUD folks in DC for sometime now, hence hearing this is really hurting to say the least. They have done lots and better than some too, but to really end up like this and at this very crucial time too, are beyond my belief and comprehension. I did hear similar problems in their camp too, but thought that was resolved and a new breed have been working as a team since the last committee election. No wonder then that almost all of them stopped communicating on the forum too lately. I also wish if those “Ene Le Hagere” Group joined the CUD-DC committee than operating independently because having groups here and there will make the public suspicious about the transparency and genuinely of those groups. They should have had the blessing of the CUD leaders too, to collect monies in their name. As we all know too, no one these days, would like to be asked by different parties let alone dozens of support committees for financial assistance or co-operation on all other matters. We have been through so many difficulties on these hence should have learnt from the past mistakes on these matters.

I heard when this problem was mentioned to Engineer Hailu too; on Tensae Radio recently, hence if this is true then, others should take over and march forward. We have no time to waste by fighting each other anymore or keep those few power hungry souls in committees. But I would not agree With Ethiopian Review that Ato Andargachew Tsige, a London resident, have to go to DC to resurrect committee activities in CUD-DC. I say this because there are, I am sure, thousands in DC areas much better than him who can intelligently carry out these things. Besides that, it will cost CUD thousands of dollars to keep Ato Andargachew in DC to carry out the tasks and while he is not known in the DC areas too, he will not receive good co-operation as the ones who live there and are known by Ethiopian communities.

I am not saying Ato Andargachew lacks the skills but am saying that it will be costly and unwise to send someone to another continent for a committee job as if it is a government assignment. Also the CUD-DC will take it as an insult on their intelligence to receive a stranger from another continent to organize and guide them on the things they know well and better but lacked unity of purpose for some reason.

Hence I urge CUD-DC to get on with their responsibilities, invite the Ene Le Hagere folks to join and work with them and or organize for a new committee election to take place very soon so that some of them or all of them are replaced to carry out fundraising and lobbying activities as before. I wouldn’t advice anyone to carry some public responsibilities and positions gained through elections or recomendations and waste time on arguing with one another and abuse their obligations too. CUD needs money and hard workers more than ever before hence we shouldn't let-down Ethiopia and Ethiopians. I also urge CUD leadership to closely monitor and encourage all support committees too. I thank you.

To ER Publisher/Mr.EK:

I was quite critical of ER for the manner in which they suggested Dr. Berhanu to "show hime the door." I was angry about the manner in which ER suggested at this critical time cause as we all know, CUD and other opposition parties are experiencing hell in Ethiopia by Woyane. I think I was in part justified for criticizing Ato Elias for that call.

However, Mr. ER Publisher, I am in 100% in AGREEMENT with the latest criticism about the CUD DC committee! We often forget that there are a few hundred thousand Ethiopians in the DC Metro area, I think last an estimate was taken by 'Tadias Online' Ethiopian magazine was close to 400,000 thousand Ethiopians. This is power although most of them might not be US Citizens...it's still power because these folkes no matter what their background can serve their country and make major changes and it's well known fact that the DC based CUD ought to make the biggest difference by lobbying the local political US base for Ethiopia! This ought to be the important job of CUD in DC!! What is CUD in DC doing in terms of lobbying, raising funds, mobilizing more demonstrations and educating the American Politicians about Ethiopia and the lies game the dicator plays on them?? I THINK ER'S CALL ON CUD DC COMMITTE THIS TIME IS RIGHT AND TIMELY!! I urge the CUD CD to realize that they have a historic opportunity to not only listen to constructive criticism and make changes to get better for this important fight for our citizens who are dying back home in Ethiopia!

Thank you ER for caring enough to criticize these vital opposition organizations in the diaspora so that we can get out s#%t together and make a difference!! I beg others who criticize ER, to think for a moment and see what is wrong with the suggestion really? If the change is made it is us and Ethiopia that will benefit! Not Meles or the idiot Woyane supporters who are so blinded even on this forum that they think their stupid propaganda will have an effect on others...who cares about them, their death is near anyways and they know it including their Eritrean Master Aite MEles!

CUD DC:

Please, please increase your furvor for lobbying, ask for money as this is critical momentum, recruit more members or professionals as members who have knowledge how to lobby the US Congress, actively pursue an attention getting campaign by writing letters to the media all over the DC Metro (all major ones are here for Gods sake!), also get a campaign to mobolize the Ethiopians (400,000 in DC) or as much as possible to join their time or be part of the movement...contrary to Meles wanting to make us believe we're divided and dead, I am sure many are willing if the right environment is created for them to contribute even on a small scale!

Thank you ER, at times, we all need a type of ADL style of an independent organization to let others know of what they are doing right and wrong ... and there is nothing wrong with that as long as the final result is to the benefit of democracy in Ethiopia and the unity of Ethiopians!

Great Job Mr. Elias! You are a pioneer in a new movement and have inspired me a bit actually!

Thank you for the ER report. From the start, I would like to assure forum participants that I am not a member of Enem le Hagere but supporter of CUD. Therefore, as CUD supporter and DC resident, I would like to comment the following.

The problem is very serious and has already undermined the efforts of many CUD good-wishers and supporters. My own concern and fears is that party politics and feud among leadership of the three member parties of CUD, might have prevailed over public interest. To be sure, the current leadership has successfully isolated CUD from the general public. Under the prevailing circumstances, we do not have the luxury of working in isolation and waiting for instruction from Addis on every minor issue. How did we come to the present state of affairs? The facts are as follow:

For the first time in many years, Ethiopians in DC area came out en-masse to support the opposition parties:

At the establishment of UEDF

The March 12, 2005 and subsequent Fund-raising occasions

The historic mass demonstrations in DC before and after May 15 election.

Except at the occasion of UEDF establishment, the other functions were the collective effort of Interested Ethiopians, CUD and UEDF (in that order).

Later on, when the parties indicated they would rather operate alone, the interested and committed Ethiopians decided to continue their effort by establishing “Enem le Hagere”.

The rest is history. The men and women in the streets of DC want to support opposition parties without being party members.

The solution to the current crisis is very simple- go back to the mode of operation used to mobilize Ethiopians for the demonstrations and collective fund-raising. This means, very close collaboration between CUD and Enem le Hagere. Short of that, no miracle would resolve the issue. Individuals from Addis or Ato Andargachew may have a role but the key issue is to listen to the public!

The general public in Metropolitan DC, like the Ethiopian people, would like to see collective effort rather than fragmented activities. Wish us good luck and pray for our unity.

It is such a sad fact to learn that the CUD representatives to undermine the contribution of able Ethiopians in Diaspora (fertile ground). I am really dismayed by this bad news as the leaders of the oppositions’ parties were and are still requesting for those of us who are in Diaspora to galvanise the diplomatic effort and raising financial support.

Email: hassabu_1@yahoo.co.uk

Re: CUD DC in a state of paralysis/ Call for public meeting

I think there should be a very well organized public meeting to discuss these issues ASAP !!

I bet anything these Support Groups everywhere are
dominated by men. It just seems like nothing can ever be done without cannibalizing each other. Please, for the good of the "Struggle" get some women in there to clean up this mess. Women are good at focusing on the job rather than on themselves and checking their egos at the door.

It is true these Support Groups need to get their act together. For starters, CUD needs a postal address in the US where people can send their contributions. Some of us are willing to help, just ask!!!!!!!!!!!!

Email: kinijit2005@hotmail.com

City: Portland

gross incompetence would be a more fitting term to describe the cud-dc. peasants in Ethiopia are much better at running organizations than the leaders of the cud-dc. the main leadership in addis is operating under extremely difficult condition, and yet they are able to organize the party through out the country. but the cud-dc are living comfortably, all the latest technology is available to them, yet they are doing nothing. i think er's suggestion is too linient. not only they should be given pink slips, they should also be sued for malpractice.

well Elias I have read the news and the comments... last night on the chat room I beg you not to post this news cause I already figured where the readers emotion could reach!!!... any how it was not a smart way to let our enemy know that CUD reps. in DC have such a little difference... AS you know these days EPRDF takes every opportunity to undermine CUD's reputation ...
Beyond delivering the news you have ,made a suggestion that Ato Andargachew Tsige should take over the leadership in DC and fire/hire some one... well.. with due respect Elias I disagree with you .. you as a professional journalist .. you do not need to take aside and or make a targeted suggestion naming individuals... I am a fraid you do not want to lose crediblity from your readers....
Peace,

Elias,

Ease up your horses.. you may not see what's happening cuz your not part of the CUD committee, you have every rite to comment on the situation as you see it, however, for you to endrose a person is sorta arrogant move.. where is the democratic way of electing our leaders. We kno how much you care and passionately involved in the struggle to free our people, but dont overlook democratic ways of handling things. you have to always need to take care not to put your reporting crediblity on the line, we need to get off this emotional train and act like a progessional. I appreciate your fight and i kno it's coming from your deep concern for our ppl. I'd like to see you report things, organize things,etc. but not like an emotional person that puts out everything they feel cuz they have the medium. Look what's happening now.. woyane is losing the diplomatic fight.. they started bashing diplomants, other people..,etc. so it's about time we see some mature EThiopianreview engaged in reporting and good commentary. you like it or not you have big influence in this struggle and you to be careful and resposnsible in your commentaries and reportings..

peace

ER, as always you nailed it on the head. The CUD representatives in Washington, DC, can be characterized as local hooligans who lack rudimentary understanding of politics. They suffer from deadly combination of ignorance and arrogance.

In the past, genuine Ethiopians have approached these so-called CUD representatives with suggestions to restructure CUD in the North America in such a way to bring in professionals and experts from various disciplines. Since they are intoxicated by the little power they are enjoying, they have rejected all reasonable suggestions so far. One must put the blame on CUD leadership in Ethiopia for entrusting these incompetent personalities to oversee the activities in the United States.

Yes, the CUD leadership in Ethiopia is heavily inundated. However, that reason alone should invigorate the leadership in Ethiopia to put highly qualified individuals in charge of its activities in the United States. After all, the United States is a home for thousands of Ethiopians who can be critical allies in the fight against the despotic regime in Addis.

It is incumbent upon the leadership in Addis to begin damage control. It is imprudent for CUD leadership in Addis to leave its powerful constituencies in the United States in the hands of ineffectual individuals who spend a great deal of their time engaging in mere idle political chatterings in local Washington, D.C., restaurants. Their incompetence has been amply demonstrated by the lack of visible progress to date. They have retarded the momentum, and if they are allowed to stay on, they will continue to do irreparable damage.

Is the CUD leadership in Addis ready to revamp its presence in the United States? Or, will it continue to permit a handful of retards to run the show? The decision will be a decisive factor in the future success or failure of CUD’s activities in the United States.

Er,

This is much ado about nothing. It would have been more constructive if you had consulted CUD officials in secrecy before posting your rhetoric. "BLAMING" others does not do us any good. It did any good for this world neither. That's the first sin that came into the world and became cause of our death. When God asked Adam "Why did you eat the forbidden fruit?" He said Eve persuaded me...then Eve said the serpent persuaded me and God knows what the serpent said.... I am not trying to be a preacher here. Neither I am but this is a basic moral and journalistic ethics. I hope you got my point.

Next time you need to have a basic journalistic ethics and refrain from your rhetoric!!

Email: hailu_awlachew@yahoo.com

City: Boston

Moderator,

the way you present this sensitive issue is not accepatable. it is very practical that a disagreement can occur in any form. but when it is brought up for public consumption, it should be with utmost care and consideration.

as a reporter, we are expecting the true picture of any issue without any additionals. it sounds that you have taken side and it does not sound good.

Email: yamral-negussu@yahoo.com

City: washington

Tazebe,

Don't blame the messanger, and leave God out of this. Religion and politics should be mutually exclusive since the latter relies on pragmatism rather than faith.

Desta, Seble, Meskerem,

Thank you! You ladies seem to know exactly what is going on. Time is of the essence, what can we do
about it?

good they deserve it

Email: d@yahoo.com

City: washington

teddy [Thumbsdown... how many times you die under depots, showdown to freedom.. believe me we live in 21st century, no sucker can deny us our freedom, will fight for freedom

I have a few concerns to share, which some of them are repeatitions (sorry about that):

1. How credable is the information ER reporting here? Have you shared it with others who support CUD or who are concerned about the current problem of Ethiopia before posting?

2. Assuming the the information is correct, is it wise to tell the whole world about it? Mind you, there are enemies who can take advantage of this and TPLF is # 1 in this. Couldn't this be a risky venture? As you know, words are powerful weapons that can cause a great deal of damage, specially in a society like that of ours. I agree that, pointing out weaknesses (of CUD-DC)and giving suggestions for improvent are necessary but it should be done very carefully and maturely only in the right environment.

3. Something positive should come out of this whole issue. Again assuming there is a problem, CUD-CD should weak up and seriuosly consider its problem to reorganize itself in order to become more effective and serve the Ethiopian people. CUD and others should get prepared to defend the organization in case TPLF spreads lies based on what ER has posted. By working hard and smartly, they can turn things aroud and take the opportunity to further expose the evil work of EPRDF.

4. Despite some minor exceptions, generally, ER is doing an excellent job in serving the Ethiopian people. I would like ER to continue its service. In order to do this effectively, it should continue proving itself as reliable and positive as possible. Therefore, ER should be more careful about what it is posing. Please do not spoil it--we need your service and should say around.

God bless our native land, Ethiopia.

Email: wazeleke@yahoo.com

Meskerem
you wrote ...
"Don't blame the messanger, and leave God out of this. Religion and politics should be mutually exclusive since the latter relies on pragmatism rather than faith."

Your comment is just a cliché and nothing more. Don't freak out on me because I called the name God. I brougth the story just to stress that it is a basic principle by which every human being should abide by.
Nothing I can do If you understood it differently.

Email: hailu_awlachew@yahoo.com

Tazebe,

Should I remind you that there is no such 'a basic principle' that governs human behavior. Our mother Earth is too vast and diverse for such narrow view. That is lesson #1, as you fully digest that, I will continue with lesson #2.

CUD is created on the foundation of many sacrifices paid by many individuals and organizations inside Ethiopia. But the organization failed its supporters by recycling the good old boys from Medhin and AAPO who were the reasons for the failures of past anti-EPRDF struggle in the Diaspora. Some of these individuals have showed all the bad qualities Meles and Mengistu have in the organizations they lead. CUD needs to make a readjustment and put young and vibrant leaders like Lidetu to organize and motivate the Diaspora. Please stop recycling these guys ……give them something to do behind the scene.

Email: Haile_haile@yahoo.com

City: TN

There is a problem to be solved. Thiose of you are not aware of it, but quick to criticize the moderator please cool down and think about it. We just can't keep hiding our problems, better to do something like the editor of this news site than dreaming for the good while the worest is coming.

Haile

You said it all. A new blood is very much needed. Why recycle the old guard when there is an untapped resource? I second the ER, the CUD in DC is in a state of paralysis. Time to make a change.

Thank you Mituye.

The moderator cares for CUD very much, and that is why he is helping us to focus on the serious problems surrounding the leadership of CUD in North America. So much could have been done if the Ethiopia leadership has picked a fresh leg to lead us in the Diaspora. One example of fresh leg is Ato. Berhanu Mewa and some guys I don't know by name, good picks. But I tell you......... some of these guys who are leading CUD in Atlant and DC need to be controlled. CUD is not for sell....when people in Ethiopia find out who these guys are there will be some fire...
To: CUD Addis don't pick up people you are not able to control (Discipline)

Haile,

I think it would be great if CUD forms a task force for the purpose of screening individuals who can take over the CUD-DC and other States in the United States. Eng. Mogus of CA should be given a visible role, two thumps up for him. I don't know the individual you mentioned, I am sure his name also can be submitted to the task force. What can be done to expedite the process?

Attention Moderator:

This is a delicate matter before you start writing this type of editorial, you should have the consulted with the CUD leadership, and hear their side as well. It seems that you only spoke with people who wanted fast action with out looking at the ramifications. I was at Washington D.C meeting and I saw some supporter that were anxious and frustrated and want immediate action.

Don’t forget all of us that wish the best for Ethiopia are frustrated by the election process and all the corruption and manipulation we see by the EPDRF/TPLF. We can't wait this anti-Ethiopian power broker are replaced with genuine democractiv government with out any blood shade.

Accusing the CUD leadership in D.C on Ethiopian Review would not benefit non of us, you should have select other type of medium.

I am sure there might be some flows with CUD leadership in D.C,Don't forget they are sacrificing their valuable time to support CUD, and I believe that you should consider that the CUD leadership in Washington D.C have to abide by the U.S law. To act on matters, unlike in Ethiopian don’t forget there are Tax, Fund Raising and Income code that political parities have to abide my to operate in this nation.

CUD is in the formation of four political parties, there is legalities involved here. Who ever this Ene Le Haberyae are they need to resolve their difference behind close door, as CUD supporter we don’t want to hear this unproductive way of dealing with operation issues on this medium.

We expect some professional courteous from you, please go back and read chapter one of Journalism 101.

Mitu,

We should ask Elias to set up a teleconference between Ethiopia CUD and concerned supporters who could address the issues.

Moderator, you are dead right. All of you who have suggested to squash such a debate of basic freedom of expression are missing the point. CUD in the diaspora must be careful in the way it treats people who do not want to be members of any political party and yet help and be part of the day to day struggle of the Ethiopian people. The majority of people of any country are never members of political parties.
It seems that CUD DC wants to be in charge of all sectors of the diaspora - this is impossible. The same story is starting to happen here in Australia. I don't even know if the supposdly CUD people here have the endorsement of the head office in Ethiopia. If anyone want to get together as an independent group and support both CUD & Hibret and other democratic forces, CUD must respect that and even better - cooerdinate efforts for maximum effect.
I think the Addis Head office should have strict guide lines of operations for overseas branches - including choosing competent people to lead them.

Email: hiwot@optusnet.com.au

City: Sydney

Dear Haile and those of you who appreciate the role of free press:

I've requested a teleconference/interview with CUD-North American Chairman Shaleqa Yoseph Yazew for tomorrow night 9 PM. I'm waiting a response.

The rest of you who are bura kereyuing because ER criticized some political leaders are a scary bunch. I don't think you are in line with CUD's goal of building a democratic culture in our country.

Regards,
Elias

Haile,

Not a teleconfernce. We should submit our recommendation via ER. If the idea of forming a task force get acceptance, I am sure the task force can set up an email address which we can use to forward our nominees. What do you think?

Cripled Idea!

We all know that you all are working to those brutal woyanes,this is the struggle of true Ethiopians and please leave Ethiopia to Ethiopians.

Time will come very soon we will dance on your grave

Satanaw from Gondar

Email: gunag@hotmail.com

Tazabi,

CUD supporter are always proud of what CUD was able to achive in Ethiopia. I have talked to two dozen CUD supporters and they are ashamed and troubled by the way CUD is organized and run in North America. And very much turned off by the recycled leadership of CUD support group in DC and Atlanta.
Mr.Tazabi if you don't really see this, you must be one of those recycled leaders.
Your style of attack to Mr. Elias sounds familier...you are or you must have been mentored by the X-leader of MEDHIN.
Most are here to help CUD...and trust me I personally do help a lot.
CUD is always open and believe in making improvment.CUD doen't need members, supporter, and leader that sounds defensive and left/ communist style propagandists.

Ezana Dire Dawa,

Professional courtesy, wow! How can we grant the CUD in DC such courtesy when it does not have such integrity. If in case you missed this whole dialogue, what we are asking CUD to do, is to set up a professional committee to handle its political and diplomatic affairs in the United States. The people who are in charge currently are failing CUD, and most importantly, the people of Ethiopia. CUD belongs to Ethiopia, and it is not a private club to be dominated by a handful of power mongers in Washington.

A person in this case the moderator has every right to criticize those who are on position of responsibility. If the allegation is wrong they have to show with evidence that they have fulfilled their responsibility.

Trying to silence those who criticize is a sign that the allegation might be true. If you have nothing to hide then you do not try to silence others.

Ethiopians are capable of discerning between a war anted, a malicious and an honest mistake criticism and no one should try to silence others.

ER,

Please ER, any issues you have with oppositions,
WHY DON'T YOU DIRECT IT TO THEM? WHY TO A PUBLIC FORUM?? IS THERE ANY PROBLEM?

This doesn't look professional, very inappropriate.
It will be wiser to direct it to their address only.

Thanks.

Mitu,

It will not be fare to ask CUD to empower individuals submitted by members and supporters. CUD should have its own organizational methodology to pick competent and potential or proven leaders/individuals to run its affair. And prove to people how democratic process is the order of the organization.

st:

If a public forum is not used to discuss public affairs, why do we need a public forum then? CUD is not a private business. It's a political organization that wants to govern our country. Every thing it does must be scrutnized in public by the media such as ER.

Haile,

I have to disagree with you. Since the leadership of CUD is in Ethiopia, it may not be privy of critical information on the backgrounds of individuals. If they set up a task force, concerned indivudals can forward their nominees along with their bios. The task force of course can do background check on nominees. The idea is to get as many nominees as possible to select from.

Mitu,

If CUD agrees to devise what you just proposed as a guide line to make the North America support group an effective one, I have no problem.

Great Haile, Let us make it happen. Can we press ER to write an editorial to press CUD in Ethiopia to set up a task force?

I would like to extend my heart felt appreciation to ER for its contribution as an instrument to inform the Ethiopians about our country EThiopia.

With regrad to CUD DC leadership; I am sorry to inform you that it is not the role of a media/a journalist to suggest change of leadership. As a journalist invite those concerned and get the views of the leadership and the members/supporters on your media-- that is all; I guess. Then let the members/supporters and more appropriately; the main party of CUD in Addis Ababa decide what to do with them. As one person stated; such news are very damaging at this juncture and will be a very good news for EPRDF TV to drum-beat out of proportion. We all shall be carefull when we make such type of statements in the future.

Otherwise you are doing so great please keep it up.

Thank you

City: St. Paul, Minnesota

Tibebe,

Not very difficult to figure out your condescending remarks, try it elsewhere please. We are what you call the matured audience:)-

Dear Elias or Moderator,

I support you on this almost 100%, but you should have not named who should do the recommendation tasks. As you know, not every body is favored by every body. Other than that it is a timely message. For the rest of the noise, don't bother, some of them are weyane paid pesters.

Dear ER,

This looks real suspicious. I live in Washington DC and I'm a supporter of CUD. Every one I talked to the whole day today and tonight is happy that finally some body is willing to call a spade a spade, i.e, the CUD-DC is tangled up in a web of intra- and inter-party mess. The committee is rendered a dud, a none functioning entity. I'm sure you get my point. So where are all these people who are attacking you here in the forum coming from? Your article hit the target like a laser guided missile. Every one in the Washington DC area who follows Ethiopian politics is talking it. From what I hear, the committee is also shaken up to the core by the bluntness of your message--I'm sure you intended it to be that way. You are a life saver. Thanks. Hopefully, now they will clean up their acts and get to work. Or else an outsider should come and do it for them.

I think you better resolve the problem with the concerned people instead of posting it to the whole world.

Meskerem,
What narrow view ? you don't make sense to me at all.
Don't throw at me your gibberish words.
You must be smoking something. By the way the messenger in this case got the wrong message. If you are related to the ER Publisher. I don't blame you for going out of your way to defend him.

Email: yalt@yahoo.com

Haile,

What nonsense are you talking about ? what recycled leader ?
It is people like you who are a disgrace to ethiopia. You always wanna be with the upper hand. What story do you have to tell about your effort to bring democracy in Ethiopia ? The people whom you are acusing have supported CUD finacially and morally since its inception.

I bet you are one of the "Mehal Sefaris" who are upto no good.
Tell your boy and Meskerem to shut up.

Email: yalt@yahoo.com

All what CUD has done to bring about a change in Ethiopia is wonderful.However it is long way which awaits CUD in order to reach the goal determined. Oragnising the people in a decisive political movement and lead them to victroy over the dictator and tyranny and to have a democratic country is the ultimate goal.

I happend to know from what I read from internet and other sources the party is not well organised; no well established chain of command,weak leadership and non charismatic leader.The case in point is the misundestanding between DR Birhanu and Ato Lidetu.It should not leave a gap for TPLF/EPRDF which is well founded.Not only this party is built on a strong base but also chaired by one of the smart and intelegent person endowed with wicked dreams to realise.

To fight against such intelegent but wicked person(Meles)we need to be well organised and to smartout him intelegently.We need a strong leadership and a smarter person than Meles whose order obeyed by the party members as a word of god.In my personal opinion such a person that we lack and I think the disorganisation and the DC problem is non other than this deficiency.If I'm not mistaken Ato Ledetu is the right person whom I feel is competant.

Email: mtkkfk05@hotmail.fr

City: paris

Tazebe,

I noticed that resort to insult when you are incapable of defending your position. Please try to learn the simple rule of communication, if that is not too much to ask.

Dr Berhanu demonstrates his lack of respect for his own

Elias I hope you haven’t repeat the same mistake again.

From Ethiopian Review,
August 8, 2005
We were shocked to learn that a proposal that calls for power sharing with the
EPRDF murderous regime has been released in the name of CUD and UEDF a few
days ago (August 4, 2005). The proposal bears the signature of Dr Berhanu Nega of
the Coalition for Unity and Democracy (CUD), and Dr Beyene Petros of the United
Ethiopian Democratic Forces (UEDF). Later on, we learned from other CUD leaders
that the proposal has not been authorized by the CUD leadership.

By presenting such a proposal, without consulting his colleagues
in the CUD leadership, Dr Berhanu demonstrates his lack of respect for his own
party's rules and procedures.

Here is CUD response

Wrong information was disseminated asserting that the proposal was planned and forwarded by one person without being discussed by the CUD Council. This wrong information has unfortunately created an unnecessary confusion among the public at home and abroad. We wish to assure the public that the proposal was a common stand of the CUD Council taken after due discussion.

City: canada

Mark my word,

I see that you are so ill informed. Did you know that Tensi radio has been sued by EPRDF? I guess EPRDF loves the radio so much it decided to take it to court, you are so bright.

ER,

Please don't be discouraged by those who are trying to intimidate you. You are doing a great service to our country by exposing the hidden truth. These people want to bury every thing under the rug in order to retard the progress.

We want the right leaders in place to move us forward. We are tired of listening to the same old and tired song. We are ready for change and we need capable leaders to move us forward.

cud05,

That is a cover up. We don't want to dwell on the issue, but the fact remains that the CUD council did not approve the proposal before it was released. The parties that make up CUD had been opposing such a proposal for over two years, and as recent as 6 weeks ago.

I have a very short/long message… Elias we all know you are doing this for the good of Ethiopia and its people. Again, as most commentators mentioned, Let us not open DOOR for enemy and please let us not destroy the one and only weapon that CUD has (POWER OF THE ETHIOPIAN PEOPLE). Your article writing and message delivery system relay needs to change. Even weyane knowing that they deliver no good, but their media is very controlled not to disintegrate their party. A lot of Ethiopians depend on your other good work but sending out a message like that, will chnge a lot of people’s view and encourage them not to support and we will start hearing “drewos ye Ethiopia negre” the most demoralizing saying. Thank you.

We Ethiopians will unit and fight for our democracy

City: canada

Moderator wrote:
That is a cover up. We don't want to dwell on the issue, but the fact remains that the CUD council did not approve the proposal before it was released. The parties that make up CUD had been opposing such a proposal for over two years, and as recent as 6 weeks ago.

Oh, so now you're now above official CUD press releases!

If you don't want to dwell on the issue, retract your character assassination of Berhanu. Like I said before, no rational person quarrels with your right to disagree with the proposal or even to ask for clarity on the procedures used to enact it, but your insults were out of line and symptomatic of the social behaviours that have resulted in our society permitting itself to be governed by a Mengistu and a Meles.

As for your last point, Berhanu himself was against such a proposal till recently. That doesn't mean anything. It's a complex strategy game in which the opposition has to keep EPRDF on its toes.

Email: a@b.com

cud05,

It is not healty to shove the problem under the rug. If you do that, the problem will remain even though it is hidden from the public's view. Not a permanent solution, of course.

I am convinced that except for the handful of political operatives in Washington, DC, that are comfortable with the prevailing mediocrity, the large majority of Ethiopians want to see fundamental change in the way the Ethiopian politics is conducted in the US. Currently, a bunch of political amateurs, but yet very connected, have been given a free hand to manage the political activities of CUD-DC. Their dismal performance is an open secret. They are pushing able people away while they are bringing in their own cliques, who are their own intellectual match. They are bully and feel that they have a monopoly of our country’s political future. Some people say ignorance is bliss, and others say ignorance is deadly. I happen to support the latter.

The political momentum that has been achieved by the blood of our brothers and sisters in Ethiopia is being compromised by CUD-DC. They must go because they neither have the practical skills or the willingness to seek help: a deadly combination.

Solution:
1. Get rid of these ego maniacs, and bring in visionary, confident and strategic thinkers.
2. Set up committees such as Lobbying, fund raising and Public Relations.
3. Be sure to organize a public meeting at least once a month to get feedback from the people.
4. Create a system by which the people can have a direct access to every committee members.
5. Put in place a system to asses the performance of committee members.

I am sure others can add to the list. The right people must be brought in to put the last nail on the woyane’s coffin. Only then can we move forward to help those who are doing the real and ugly fight against EPRDF.

Wogenotche,

Sible is simply saying it is broke and let's fix it.
CUD-DC as well as the other Support Groups, help is out there. This is about Ethiopia and we are all in this together. Let's stop this bickering and let's get busy. Who wouldn't want to work along side a trooper like Sible? C'mon Ethiopian women rise up to the occasion and save the day, your brothers need help.

To those who are trying hard to divert the real issue that has been addressed by the ER editorial staff.

The issue has never been about the CUD in Ethiopia. It is about the CUD-North America in general and CUD-DC in particular.
What started the debate is the failure of these support groups to capitalize on the momentum gains of the CUD-Ethiopia.

Failures
1. No major efforts in setting up support groups at different US cities.
2. The leadership inability to work with experts, CUD-supporters/members, civic groups, friends of Ethiopia, and other political group in the Diaspora to score a major diplomatic gain for CUD.
3. The struggle in Ethiopia has intensified and the need to fund different regions to sustain the dynamic political development is at its pick, but no new strategies to raise money in North America.
4. A terrible PR job.

These are some of the obvious ones, but if we try to analyze each number the problems are enormous.
I believe most of us here look forward to see CUD-North America organized better to support CUD-Ethiopia efficiently.

Next time we will discuss the causes of these problems.

i'm one of the volunteers for the cud in dc. following the successful worldwide demonstrations, a plan had been worked out to organize fund raisings in 21 cities. the plan was quashed by none other than the so called cud dc leaders. these people killed the strong momentum. it's customary to always attack the carrier of bad news. but that's not going to help the struggle at home. all concerned ethiopians through out the united states need to start focusing on getting the cud dc back on its fit. because the cud dc is the center for all the cud committees in other cities.

Haile,

I think it's as important to talk about the way the moderator has addressed the issue as it is about the issue itself.

CUD DC may be doing a terrible job for all I know. If the moderator wanted to point that out, he could have written a constructive article, perhaps stating what is expected from CUD DC and asking questions about whether such is being delivered and if not, why. Instead the tone of the article is completely accusatory, and ends with demanding the lot of CUD DC be fired. How is that constructive? It isn't.

We should keep in mind that CUD DC, if it has problems, is certainly not alone among Ethiopian political and even civic organisations in the diaspora and at home. I think we would all agree that Ethiopian political and civic organizations, any entities that require some degree of collective consciousness, are notoriously fractious and ineffective. Given this, perhaps we should ask ourselves what we are doing as a society that causes us to be this way, rather than pointing the finger at particular individuals or groups of people. Perhaps the type of social interaction displayed by the moderator in his article is one of the underlying causes of the problem.

Hence the importance of discussing the moderator's approach to the issue.

hirna,

are you trying to deflect attention from solving the problem? ER is not the issue. ER simply put a light on the frustration of many ethiopians in the washington dc area, including me, who wish to see action from cud dc. for this we appreciate ER. we want action from cud dc. when are they going to hold a fund raising event? when are they going to organize protest rallies? are they going to hold regular public meetings? what you wrote is useless psychobable, i'm sorry to say.

daniel, I have made it clear in my post that there are two issues - the moderator's article, and CUD DC itself. I discussed the moderator's article because I think it important.

I also suggested that any discussion of CUD DC should involve constructive criticism (or praise if any). I did not go beyond that because I am not intimately familiar with the issues or problems in CUD DC.

It seems you are familiar with the problems, if any, with CUD DC and have raised some legitimate questions. Good, you ought to put these questions to CUD DC and get them answered. You should perhaps publicize your exchange in order keep the process transparent. If you are unhappy with CUD DC's response and think there needs to be a change in leadership, then gather enough like-minded people and vote the current leadership out. If CUD DC is not a democratic organization, then you should get enough like-minded people together to lobby CUD Ethiopia to change this. I think that's the way things are done here in the West, and that's why things work here.

As for the useless psychobable, fine, but it would help if you explain why it is useless psychobable instead of just labeling it. You've done exactly what the moderator has done. This is what I mean when I say what is needed constructive criticism, not name-calling.

Hirna,

We are calling for fundamental change, you want us to look hard to find something good about CUD-DC. We can shower them with empy praises so long as they fade away from the scene.

hirna,

What do you call this?

<>

What "social interacton" are you talking about? The moderator simply passed on to a wider audience what cud supporters in the washington dc area are saying in private and public, when given the opportunity. Genuine cud supporters and members in dc are ecstatic that ER took up the issue and presented it in a way that no one will ignore. As an insider let me tell you some news: In the past two days there is a lot of movement, a lot of discussion between the leadership in Addis and members of the committee. Ato Hailu Shawel himself is getting involved. You will see a shake up of leadership and a more responsive and active committee soon. We owe all this to ER.

Meskerem wrote:
We are calling for fundamental change, you want us to look hard to find something good about CUD-DC.

I said no such thing. I even said that I know nothing about the CUD DC situation, and that the CUD DC committee may be doing a terrible job for all I know. I just didn't like the way the moderator wrote his criticism. To an outsider like me, who does not know whether CUD DC is functioning or not, the article sounded like alubalta, devoid of hard facts.

Let me put it this way. How would you react if I wrote the same article about CUD Canada (where I live) and you have no inside knowledge of the situation? Wouldn't you wonder to yourself whether I was trying being divisive and perhaps have some personal issues with those I am attacking? Wouldn't it be better if I wrote the article in a way that would illustrate the problem with hard facts instead of vague references to this or that meeting? Wouldn't it be better if I talked about institutional weaknesses, such as the lack of a democratic structure, rather than focusing on the members of the committee themselves? I think so.

hirna,

you are focusing on the individual moderator yourself, and yet you are telling ER not to focus on the individuals at the cud dc. do you see how you contradict yourself? it seems that what bothered your more is not the lack of activity by the cud dc committee, which is hurting the struggle at home, but why the cud dc committee was criticized by er. those of us in the dc area who are trying to help cud's struggle in ethiopia are more than happy that er spoke loudly for us.

Hirna,

ER can't be responsible for your lack of willingness to gather background information to fully educate yourself on the matter. This is about CUD DC, and for those who are familiar with the issue fully understand ER's appeal.

Dear Moderator::: Thank you for doing your job. Putting pressure on others to do more, is not disrespecting them. It is out of expectation to see better. We have a different level of expectations, that is why some of us tend to put more pressure on others, those in charge of representing us. To tell them "You could do better again!". I am with you 100%, let's keep putting pressure on the CUD/UEDF in diaspora. They are in a less stressful situations compared to those CUD/UEDF...at the site of the battle.

One problem of CUD_Diaspora is none of its officals are elected by the community they claim to lead. We have to stop behind the people appointments. Bring also vibrant leaders without controvertial past. ER thanks for exposing our weakness.

Moderator you are doing great job. Everybody should be stirred up to do more. We want to see a time of movement that we saw around the election. We need to be persistent in our struggle. Wake up organizers!!!

Email: habessha@yahoo.com

Hey guys please leave ER alone.

May be part of what he said is true and although what he wrote may hurt CUD for a moment if unchecked it will be diseasterous on long term. Let him say what he fills and let the CUD main office investigate and either proof or disproof ER's alligations.

But don't grossy agree or disagree with ER before any investigation. That is the problem all of us ethiopian have. Instead of saying let's us investigate we simply express our wish which may be different from reality.

Please stop blaming ER and try to atleast investigate and say something.
Bye for now

Ayalew, Dallas

City: ayalew03@homtail.com

It is true CUD has public support both in Ethiopia and in disappora but this support isn't the leader's political maturity or their political program. CUD was running for election with out international observers. CUD didn't care whether NEB is changed or not. CUD were running from responsibilities when the people of Addis demonstrating. CUD isn't willing to work with UEDF. UEDF struggle is wiser than CUD. For Ethiopia's political betterment, these two parties should solve their ideological difference. The fact is their similarities are larger than differences. CUD DC and UEDF DC play main role in this part.

Email: bdabay04@yahoo.com

City: DC

You guys,you don't know what it means paralysis.For me most of the paralysis are irrecoverable but in case of the CUD DC,they may undergo in state of impairment which is mild and can be heald if they get the right treatment that is a constructive criticism.As to all political entities CUD can have certain shortfalls leave alone this minor disorganisation which prevails for the time being.It happens everywhere where there exists such a kind of a political movement.

Do not try to compare to any political bodies ;such as TPLF/EPRDF.This political party has a strong base. To arrive the party has walked a long and tiresome journey.

How many years it has taken this party to reach to this state?
How was the degree of their sacrification?
I leave the answer to you,my fellow Ethiopians!!!

In this case the CUD in DC is in infantile stage!
Leave them to grow and ripe correctly but never withdraw from giving them the appropriate critics.
They are human being as you and me,they can commit mistakes,if you tell them they they can correct themselves!!!!!

Don't worry

City: Paris

I think it is time now for an appropriate response from the HQ( Addis Ababa) about this issue. Having stayed in DC area for long, so far CUD and its constituent parties have existed more as a support group than as a Committe per se, ( I stand corrected if otherwise).

In any case there is great deal of information gap between what the publc knows about the "Committee " if ever there is one, and what is being talked about.

Any one in a position to clear the air?

Selam Yitadeg,

The confusion has been cleared today. Members of CUD committee in Washington, DC have answered all questions posed by the people on Nigat Radio, www.negatradio.com. I don't know if you have listened to the interview at 950 or 810 AM. It is not at all what ER wants us to believe. The committee is still working closely with the support group, called Enem Le Hagere, which by the way supports all Opposition parties,not just CUD according to Ato Solomon, the founder of the group. Moreover, according to the committee member there are no any motives for calling the meeting on the said date. He said it is only a prepartion for the coming conferences and meetings. He made it clear it was not intended to stand against anyone. They also said there is no money in their possession, unlike what ER wants us to believe.

So my friend, ER, unfortunately is pulling the trigger before getting the facts straight. I hope next time around they will double check their information before they make it public.

Thank you,
Yebret Qolo

"I think it is time now for an appropriate response from the HQ( Addis Ababa) about this issue. Having stayed in DC area for long, so far CUD and its constituent parties have existed more as a support group than as a Committe per se, ( I stand corrected if otherwise).

In any case there is great deal of information gap between what the publc knows about the "Committee " if ever there is one, and what is being talked about.

Any one in a position to clear the air?" [ Yitadeg]

I am a long time resident of DC and supporter of CUD. I have contributed a lot of my time and hard earned money for AEUO and for CUD. Like all my friends I have been one of the frustrated supporters. Thanks to Ethiopian Review now the radio programs in DC and the public have started to ask hard questions and finally the CUD dc committee is forced to answer. Even though I am happy that the CUD dc officials are finally making themselves available for questions, they are still refusing to acknowledge the problems in the committee and correct them. I am also distrubted by the venemous attack by some of the committe members and their cliques against Ethiopian Review and its editor for criticizing them. I said to myself these people are ignorants who forgot what CUD is struggling for. I have to say not all of them are like that. Not even a majority of them. Just a few lumpen among them. We owe ER for a great public service. My message to ER is to stay firm and do more of what you are doing. I and my friends stand with you. Regarding the thousands of dollars that was not sent to Ethiopia, I heard it in my own ears from one of the organizers of the fund raising event, Dr Mankelklot who has a radio program. So do not tell me there is no money. I missed the Negat radio interview tonight, but if any of the committee members said there is no money sitting in the bank not sent to Ethiopia because of disagreements, they are lying. Call Dr Mankelklot and ask him. He also talked about the problem on his radio. Please do not try to hide all these problems under the rug if you really care for our people back home. This is an urgent public matter that needs to be solved immediately so that we can get back to the serious business of collecting money and other jobs.

This is what i was affraid of. CUD must do something
now before it is to late and must elect new leader

City: north America

The most intriguing thing is that at times the position of the opposition tilted toward the centrifugal force,some thing from within is swaying in a way which put every one in absolute topsy-turvey,with such a move of getting tired and sick of the old ones seem futile, joining the opposition just about 160 days before the election, and now with a pace so descretedly grabbing the leadership is un attainable; I blieve the CUD-DC is nothing than being attributed to the idea of the very new groups who in such power hunger need to dominate the very influntial young leaders like Mr. Lidetu Ayalew, you know one of the pivotal factors among other things is that the people of Ethiopia is in a state of perceiving who is for what and the chance to deceive is over.alas! the time is for the old ones in the struggle but for the young and bright guys; hence people in the DC cud do really need to ponder and consult issues with their guys on top to refrain from such devisive course.

City: Takomapark

It is shame, unbelievable and frustration when members of a political party (CUD-DC) behave the way we are hearing about. I thought you who are living in a well developed democratic country (US) would play big roles about the democratisation and development of your country (Ethiopia). I also thought you would do anything including at the expense of your personal benefit for the sake of Ethiopia. I also thought you would never wish to have power or financial reward unnecessary while the people of Ethiopia is among the poorest of the poor. We are not became the way we are by nature but because of our mistakes. I also thought you are hungry of leadership, good governor and development to your country. I also thought you already knew even before you joined the party that the Ethiopian people need leaders not rulers. I don't understand how some of you are thinking off. Are you still thinking that the Ethiopian people will accept you with the diseases you have that you became unable to solve differences even among themselves for the sake of the country? Modern politic we are looking for Ethiopia is not the way you are looking first to benefit yourself. To be a politician is to be a hard worker with lots of responsibilities for the sake of the mass. A company or individual is selecting the best among the many not because of to affect the interest of the company but to get more benefits. If any one of you is looking to get power to benefit yourself at the Expense of Ethiopia, get over. It would be wise to you if you change from this bad behaviour. The Ethiopian people will hire you after became sure that you will bring best results to benefit first the people. You have to understand that you are also part of the people, and you are part of the benefit this way, too.
I think, you the old guards who are grown differently and thinking centuries back as feudal, are causing troubles among the young, competent, and energetic Ethiopians in the CUD-DC. The time to get respect just by talking personal stories is not working any more. It is not a theoretical time but practical. You also will never get respect or advantages because of your age before Ethiopia. Ethiopia is before (first) than each of us is looking for personal benefit.
Dictatorial behaviour and power is something you impose. Leadership and respect is something you get not demand. It is a shame when you failed to learn how democracy works in the country you are living (US) and translate to use it according to the ethiopian circumstances. I thought you even would go further and became more understandable long a go about our democracy that is on the way to born. We are in the process delivering democracy in Ethiopia although we are the oldest country on earth. We are in a critical point. It is the time to become together for one big purpose (poor Ethiopians; their head and body are eaten by lice and other parasites, who are getting pain from hunger, who are dieing from preventable diseases, who are playing with flies, who have no shoes, who are living the same ways close to animals, who are counting with the world population only because of they are still breathing and with many weaknesses causes because of leadership failures. I think those CUD in DC have no idea about the people they are looking to lead or are they looking to rule with destruction? If not, they would totally concentrate looking the Ethiopian people first rather than themselves while they are living a comfortable life in US.
I still believe that there are only few troublemakers in the CUD-DC putting the whole process in jeopardy. I’m not a member of any political party as many of us are. But I’m very much concern and looking the best to the Ethiopian people as many of us are. I even sometimes am thinking more than necessary throughout the day and night for the sake of my country. When I and others who are not in the middle of the game are looking the most and doing the best for the sake of the country, those centre players (party members) have to work hard as far as giving themselves to the interest of the country. If you are looking your political membership to give you the benefit that you cannot get it somewhere else because of you are not competent enough doing something in practical, forget about it. It happened in the past and as the result our country became the way as she is now. To build a house demands lots of sacrifices. To live in a house is comfort and benefit. Right now we are in the process building democracy in our beloved country. We all have to contribute as much as we can to build a one big family home (democracy) for all Ethiopians. Politicians in America are living in democracy that built long a go. If some of you who are living in US are looking to live as politician the way that in the US is, you are wrong. We are in the process building democracy paying including expensive sacrifices.
I’m a young man. Some of you in the CUD- DC are by age older than me. Some of you also have been members of the past failed regimes in our country. If you are really thinking positively, you would identify the past mistake easily and early and teach the young generation in order not to repeat. You would be the first to accept changes from the past mistakes that have vertical characteristic relationships, not side by side as an equal citizenship. The bad and cruel one standing over the good and weak head, emotion and shoulders to reach (get) the highest positions is not acceptable anymore.
The CUD members in Ethiopia are wide, long and deep sighted about their country. We know the life situation they are living. They are under constant fret by a brutal regime. Some members of the party have no even job (income). Others have only one pairs of old shoes, no extra cloth to change, no place to feel home and etc. But they are committed to sacrify to our common country. Those CUD-DC are living a comfortable life. They are free to gather, demonstrate, speak or what ever they want to do for the sake of their country while those in Ethiopia can't as they are living with constant fret under a gunpoint. Yet those in US whom the Ethiopian people have big expectation from them are doing something unimaginable.
I know most members of CUD-DC are working hard for the sake of the country. Only few (may be those too old to have dreams and ambitions to create good results the right way) are causing troubles like few foxes are doing against the whole herd. If the CUD-DC are not solving their differences by themselves with major operation soon by eliminating those foxes, the people of Ethiopia (around DC) must intervene with responsible behaviour. We have to stop criticizing by generalizing the mass while those creating troubles are few and known. We have to gesture our fingers directly towards those responsible creating troubles at the time we all Ethiopians have to come together leaving personal differences behind.
Look immigrants from Cuba how they are influencing the American Govt policy against Cuba for many years. The number of Ethiopians in US is not much less than those from Cuba. But the Ethiopians are criticizing and cat fighting with each other rather than become one strong force to have significant influence including the American policy towards Ethiopia. Many of us are lions, tigers or cats among each other but cows, sheep or mice against others. Instead of becoming one united strong force to influence the American policy towards Ethiopia and getting financial assistances to finance the financially weak CUD party back home, you are fighting with each other like vultures over scrubs that was not there to feed even the few.
Don't make us sick. If you can't function properly, leave it. Ethiopia have many children. Don’t be a shadow or hurdle in front of those who are able to contribute the best. Ethiopians deserve to have those who work for them, not vice versa. I think young Ethiopians and women who are educated and understand how modern politic works have to take their responsibility for the sake of their country. Dictatorial behaviour or respect because of age or some personal history is not coming before Ethiopia. Every one and everything must be after Ethiopia. We have to become more that ready to benefit first Ethiopia rather than vice versa as some of you who have heads working with old and infected software (brain) are looking for.

God Bless Ethiopia and the competent and good people of Ethiopia. God bless CUD back home whom are examples to all of us how politic in present Ethiopia has to work. God Bless UEDP and others who are working to benefit Ethiopia. Let God makes or totally breaks CUD-DC in order the young and energetic politicians get space to contribute the best of their ability to their poor people back home. I also ask the Ethiopians in US and around the world to continue with their financial and moral contribution to opposition parties back home. They are doing well. soon our country will be us(to all Ethiopians). Those who want to visit, live, work, invest or something else will be free to do in their beloved country with their people and environment the way they want and wish. $10,- worth lots in Ethiopia. It can help a jobless but a good Ethiopian asset young man or woman to continue working to bring positive change in Ethiopia. There are many reliable channels to send money or other material supports directly to party members back home.

I also have to admire the moderator bringing this issue earlier. He got some criticism at the time including from me, because of no one expected like this shame and disastrous situation would occur among the so called Ethiopian politicians in US while those back home are doing well with circumstances which are very bad. I think moderator have right about what is going on inside CUD-DC. all along I admire you, moderator. If you are demanding apology, I’m asking you to receive it although no one was criticizing you intentionally but to the sake of the country. We still feel our politic is like an iceberg during summer season or like playing with eggs on a rocky mountain. I believe you also have understanding about the general behaviour of your customers. Continue giving contribution with your remarkable service to Ethiopia this way as I do mine in different ways. Your, mine and others purpose (goal) is our beloved beautiful Ethiopia that became poor and weak because of her children unwise and childish behaviour.

Email: Gimma@hotmail.com

Sir!

Arguing is one of the magnifiers that help to see and evaluate weak and strong ideas. Diversity of ideas should be welcomed and discussed thoroughly before they're going to be picked and implemented. This is the essence of democracy. Principle of politics is not dogmatic. Do you know one of the problems of Bushmen [Woyane]? The TPLF is pulled by the principle dreamed by one guy [Meles]. The other gangsters are simply followers, like a follower of a fortune teller. They do not know what to do tomorrow or after tomorrow, and they do not know where to go. That is why the party is spoiled and rotten before it was born. Do not forget that stagnant water spoils.

So, Brother when you see people are fighting for ideas, you do not have to hurry to condemn them, because it just for good. You may ask me what our responsibility is in this particular case. The answer is easy. If you are really on people side, and when when you see an argument, first, try to identify the main points [ideas] that people are fighting for. Then, invite people and gather their opinion. It helps you to know how many people are supporting each idea. If you like, you can put yourself from any group that you think compatible to you. I think this is what is expected from us instead of saying paralysis or dead, or something similar. Here is I think our problem.

Email: teshager_til@yahoo.com

City: Chicago

Teshager...I believe this is not the way to do it. We need to stop releasing our negative energy and power ourselves with positive energy...If there differences, let them be resolved in amicable manners instead of exchanging bitter words in the presence of Weyane.....

ELIAS GOOD JOB YOU ARE THE ONLY REPORTER WHO DIDNT TOOK POSITION LIKE ETHIOMEDIA FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANK YOU FOR EXPOSING THE CONTRADICTION BETWEEN DR BIRHANU AND LIDETU TO THE WORLD NOW CUD DC UNABLITY TO ORGANIZE IT SELF THIS ALL INDICATES CUD HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER 5 MORE UNLESS IT COLAPSES BEFORE THAT.

GOOD JOB KEEP UP YOUR GOOD JOB EXPOSING THE OPPOSITION.

Email: mahder@yahoo.com

Wodigeralti,

You wish CUD will wait another five years of Melese and dictatorship, It ain't gonna happpen. The problem is at CUD-DC not CUD-Ethiopia so what is the wait for.

You are a slick Ehadeg.

I wish peace come to your head and heart

Email: yahoo.com

City: CA

WEDIGERALIA,
You are another despicable Woyane, who have no shame that stands by the killer of innocent Ethiopians. You think you are so smart. You are twisting what was said to benefit your cause. Elias never questioned the ability of CUD leaders. Your sarcasm shows your lack of good judgment.

Nega,
If any one needs urgent medical care, it is your boss Meles. You need to put the killer Meles in psychotic ward before he goes on another killing spree. The opposition leaders haven’t caused harm to anyone.

Hmmm?

I think we need an organization that will list and expose woyane's and eprdf members for their treason, at least those who pretend to act for ethioia but are for self interest and in the process for ethiopia's enemies...history will remember your treasons that is for sure.

CUD DC must make changes, otherwise, they are doing the work of woyane's wish to see a divided opposition as it is their current campaign. ER will certainly and should be given credit along with others but if no changes are done, then what is CUD DC about?!?
After all, ethiopian americans, espeically those in DC should make the most difference by as the user 'solomon keshewa' said, lobby congress, media and encourage ethio civil orgs to unite and get a more effective campaign against woyane-ehadeg! Is it really that complicated CUD DC????!?!?

Peace!