The Betoota Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

The Betoota Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Betoota

Has anyone shown interest in buying the hotel in Betoota or starting their own accommodation for people to stay. Its an interesting town the history could come alive. I live near Charleville. I look forward to emails or reply on forum.

Regards Madonna Weaver

Re: Betoota

Hi Madonna and thanks for the post.

Ziggy bequeathed the hotel (he died 2004) to the syndicate which owns the Birdsville and Innamincka Hotels. The last I heard was the syndicate had no immediate plans.
The hotel building would require a good deal of renovation to bring it to a suitable standard for accommodation.
The Birdsville/Windorah road now bypasses Betoota and any intending visitor needs to make a short detour.

I agree the town has a fascination.
The Betoota Cup is held on the weekend after Birdsville races, and a Gymkhana held in April annually. It was particularly hard this year due to drought conditions. The event relies heavily on sponsorship from local pastoral entities who have found it difficult to support the event , plus with land in such poor condition competitors were struggling to afford feed for their horses.

The event brings the local community together and takes the mind off the harsh reality of drought, just for one weekend.