Return to Website

Terry Nation's Survivors -"GREG" Forum

Welcome to our "GREG" forum, this is designed to be used for discussing Subjects related to Survivors, developing longer threads & the deeper side to Survivors & quality TV drama.  Some rules apply: 1. One username per person, this will be their real name EG John Jones - no nicknames, IPs are being checked to ensure this, 2.  No serious abuse or sale of items, this is not Ebay, 3. Off topic messages & threads Will be deleted If you Do not agree with these rules, please don't post here..........  Bob meade, Suffolk, UK. Nov 2005. (survivors-at-supanet.com)

LINKS

My New MAIN WEBSITE: Terry Nations Survivors: http://bobmeades-ivil.tripod.com/index.html

(Note the link above consists of several site "Knitted" together but that is the best place to start)

NEW FORUM Survivors 1975 - 2016 very user friendly:  http://survivors1975.boardhost.com/index.php

Very rare DVDs for sale..click this link: http://bobmeades-ivil.tripod.com/id13.html

Forum: Terry Nation's Survivors -"GREG" Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Review of the first survivors story series 1

Ok I have listened to part 1 any one have opinions yet??

Email  
Re: Review of the first survivors story series 1

Ok I will start then.
I admit I found the first two stories different from the original series. Although I can see that they where trying to introduce new characters into the series.
The time line follows the original well the first story relates to when the plague first strikes and its immediate effects.
The second storyline takes place immediately after the plague and the chance meeting with Jenny Richards who is leaving London for the country .
The third now has Jenny and Greg interacting with the new characters. This takes place after the fuel tanker has arrived, the flood has wiped out the stores and trading with Little Barton has become difficult.
I agree with Ian McCullock that the storyline involving Jenny and Greg are up to the original standard set by Terry Nation.
I like that the timeline is set just before the end of season 1 and I wonder if more of the original survivor actors will be involved for the next production in 2015.

Email  

It did seem to be an excersise in introducing new charactors - then killing many of them off! Whilst it was entertaining, would this really be a major occupation for real survivors in a nearly empty country? I have my doubts! - saved though, by Ian, Lucy & Carolyn.

OK, silly question time . Where are you listening to these from? Are they broadcast or is this the £25 CD thing that was advertised a few months ago?

Being tight I don't want shell out if I can hear it broadcast for nowt ...

It is the Big finish version, which can be obtained by download for £20 & burnt to a CD (MP3) as I have done, great listening in the car!

http://bigfinish.com/releases/v/survivors---series-one-box-set-953

It is pretty good for the most part, a vast improvement of the BBC remake in the last decade, it could only be bettered (in my opinion) with a proper continuation following the "Power" episode - not impossible, just very difficult
Bob

Quote: HOST: Bob Meade
It is the Big finish version, which can be obtained by download for £20 & burnt to a CD (MP3) as I have done, great listening in the car!

http://bigfinish.com/releases/v/survivors---series-one-box-set-953

It is pretty good for the most part, a vast improvement of the BBC remake in the last decade, it could only be bettered (in my opinion) with a proper continuation following the \"Power\" episode - not impossible, just very difficult
Bob

How do you burn it to CD?

I have bought the download. It arrived in that horrible WINRAR zip file format. I can play it on the computer, but can not burn it to CD or transfer to my MP3 player.

I would recommend others buy the CD if they are technophobic like myself.

I've only managed to listen to the first 30mins so far on the computer.

I like that they have kept the same theme tune as the original. The American female character gets on my nerves. It seems quite good so far.
Yes a continuation after "Power" would have been best.

Hi Rachel.
Have you got the Winrar program on your computer, if not you will need to download & install it (from winrar !). then go to the Survivors file you downloaded from Bigfinish & right-click on it, you will see the option extract files do this, it will create a new folder of the same name, go there & open it & you will see the same zipped files extract files again & you should end up with the MP3 files you need (yes an odd double unzip idea!) - which can be burnt to an MP3 CD using Nero or similar - I listened to it on my car stereo, there is a slight pause between tracks, but that is not a major problem.

Rachel
But yes, no one has had the gumption to follow on After POWER It is quite easy to re-create something that has already been done, they seem to get bogged down with the fascination of Mankind's big demise, & cannot see beyond that to the “what comes next story" for that is what Survivors should really be about. There is lots of help in books such as Earth Abides, by George R Stewart or Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham, I'm pretty certain that Terry Nation read both these books & adapted ideas from both of them, I pretty sure Terry Dudley did the same too.

The Big finish “Filling in the gaps in the original story" idea is a good idea, though I agree with you, some of the Characters are less than thrilling! But I would like to eventually see them go beyond the whole existing story (& POWER) & face up to the real basic story of, “What would decimated mankind do, would he pick up the pieces & start again? or eventually forget everything & revert to an almost stone age culture?"
Or perhaps there might even be a third option, of two civilisations high & low tech, living side by side - like the "Morlocks" in the H G Wells story: The Time machine! There are lots of options concerning the direction of which way Mankind might go, following it's decimation down to a few thousand.......
Unlike Nation, Dudley thought that mankind would try to get the Power back on, for example & that might work - in the short term, but the big question is would the few skilled men left alive (Like Alec Cambell) be able to KEEP it going, & what would the rest of the Survivors DO with that Power? These are the two threads of the story, that I feel Big finish should be looking at & are at the root of WHY Survivors has such a fascination built in to so many of it's fans - it goes far beyond normal TV & Radio entertainment.

That is why Season three was a bit of a mess, as in portraying the various ways that mankind might go, the different writers found continuity between episodes very difficult.

There is more about these Big finish files here:
http://forums.bigfinish.com/threads/3400-S1-Download-Extras-question

Thanks Bob. I managed to figure it out and put it on CDs.
It was the double zip that got me...and the large amounts of clicking.

At the same time I wrote to you, I also wrote to Big Finish to ask them how to download the files. They wrote:

"Dear Rachel Due to an error (by me, I\'m afraid), the current Survivors file is four zip files within a zip file. When you first open it, you\'ll get the four zip files. All you should have to do is double-click on the four zip files and this will open each of the four Survivors adventures as MP3s.

Let me know if this gives you any problem. I am looking to upload a simpler main file when I get a chance! My apologies for any disruption.

-Ian "

I share this incase someone else has problems downloading.

I will get busy listening now.

I listened to the first part, got bored and put it aside and only finished listening to the rest today.

I agree the new characters were "less than thrilling."

The "Dan" character was bland.
Not too keen on "Jacky" played by the great Louise Jameson or "Fiona".
It was only the old characters that I liked.
The whole "escape" part of the story reminded me a Boys Own Adventure story where they escape from a boarding school.

I found the leader of the commune, James Gillotson unrealistic. I can imagine the leader of a commune like that being a tattoed thug, or an ex army person, not an RP accented Polytecnic lecturer.
In the 70's series you could get a ex-lecturer like Gillotson as a leader because most men then had army experience, but not now.

Quote: HOST: Bob Meade
Rachel
...they seem to get bogged down with the fascination of Mankind's big demise, & cannot see beyond that to the “what comes next story" for that is what Survivors should really be about. There is lots of help in books such as Earth Abides, by George R Stewart or Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham...

I agree

Perhaps someone creative will eventually understand what Nation & Dudley created between them! Because both had the right idea, of not dwelling on the big calamity - but moved on swiftly to coping with a post technology life. Of course, that is the more difficult option.

BTW, I don't know if you've heard - but Terry's original book is being released as an audiobook in December (By Big finish) read by Carolyn Seymour - at £15 as a download.
Bob

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com