Return to Website

Dancing Goddess Circle

Welcome!

This is a forum for people who have come together through Dancing Goddess Dolls. We all have a little (or a lot!) in common, so this could be a fun and informative community. Grab a cuppa and come and chat!

~Kelli

Dancing Goddess Circle
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Goddess Music?

What do you all listen to? I need some new material! I listen to a lot of Goddess music while dollmaking. My favorite Goddess song of all time must be "The Circle is Cast" by Robert Gass & On Wings of Song. It's like Pagan Gospel. Love it. I love most all of their stuff, actually. Their version of "Ancient Mother" is also really great.

Who else do I like. . .Circle of Women, Lisa Thiel, Elaine Silver. Sky Cries Mary has a beautiful version of "Back to the Sea" that was my first ever Goddess song. The first time I heard it was at my first public ritual in oh. . .1990? I remember it was a very foggy night, and I felt like I was wrapped in the element of Water, and then, in this attic room with about 20 other women, this song started playing into the silence. It is probably one of my most memorable spiritual experiences.

Anyway. . .what do you all like?
~Kelli

Re: Goddess Music?

This might sound weird but I totally consider Tori Amos to be a Goddess Artist. Also Loreena McKennit, Dead Can Dance and Lisa Gerrard (lead singer of Dead Can Dance, her solo stuff is awesome!)

I've found that 'Shawna Carole's "Goddess Chant" is good. I also listen to the Mist Of Avalon soundtrack.
Yanni's music is also soothing to my soul, even tho it's not considered Goddess Music as such.

Blessings,
Lin

Oh, I love Lisa Gerard. You know where she was really great - the Gladiator soundtrack! I absolutely love that soundtrack. Do you know Azam Ali/Vas? Very similar style to Lisa Gerard - I just discovered Azam Ali several months ago and I've just been eating her up. ;)

Lin, is the MoA soundtrack the one from the miniseries? My sister works at TNT, and if that's it, I may be able to have her get me a copy. Thanks for the tip!
~K

Kelli,
Yes, the soundtrack of the movie. I got my CD of the Mist of Avalon at Best Buy. You can always order online from: www.bestbuy.com ; if you don't have a store near you. It's great. After listening to it, I always want to watch the movie again.

Blesings,
Lin

I totally love all of Jana Runnalls stuff, espcially "I sing her Praises". She's a pretty local artist though (Glastonbury/Bristol area) so dunno if you guys will know her so much. She's gonna be at the Glastonbury Goddess Conference, which I'm totally looking forwards to!

Also I like Ruth Barrett's "The Year is a Dancing Woman".

After some recent problems with another Goddess lady (long story... basically she sent me a nasty email which led me to over-dose) I packed away ALL my goddess related items (including my beloved Rhiannon doll!!! which was like denying my "daughter" as well as the Goddess!).. but they are now gradually coming out of the box again. In fact the music seemed even more special after not playing it for weeks!

Blessings and lotsa love,
Kate
xxx

oh I forgot to mention a local Bay Area artist, Jennifer Berezan!

I am looking forward to checking out these new artists! Thanks, all, for sharing!

(And Kate, I'm glad you are starting to feel better!)
~K

Hey! I just bought a new goddess CD today I wouldnt partically say it is my favourite.. but it is sure unusual and worth telling you all about.. ok.. i seem to have lost the case, must have left it in the car! but im sure it's called "rock the goddess".. but dont ask me who it is by. (altho of course.. if u are really interested do ask, and I'll dig the case out for u!!).
- Kate
xxx

Hi there!

This is a wonderful thread

I have a rapidly-growing collection of Goddess music, and adore listening to it all. Jennifer Berezan and Shawna Carol are two of my favourite Goddess musicians. Jennifer has a few excellent CDs out, including "She Carries Me" and "ReTURNING" -- the latter was recorded by a group of Goddess women at the Hypogeum at Hal Saflieni, Malta and is an evocative and atmospheric album. Shawna Carol's CD, "Goddess Chant" is a powerful call to the Divine Feminine in all of us

And of course, the wonderful Native American-inspired CD, "Fire Prayer" by Denean is great for circles and gatherings!

I also enjoy music by Gypsy, who has a wonderful rocky-Pagan CD called "Enchantress", and the soulful and haunting Laura Powers, who has a trilogy of CDs out called "Legends of the Goddess". And then, of course, there's folks like Loreena McKennitt, Anúna, Clannad, Caroline Lavelle, Era, Heather Dale (wonderful retellings of the Arthurian legends, put to music -- very melacholy in places!), Robert Gass, The Reclaiming Collective and so on.

Though not Goddess-y, my favourite artists are Sarah McLachlan, Chris de Burgh (whose "Where Peaceful Waters Flow" is wonderfully Goddess-y), and a-ha, who were popular in the 80s but are now making a comeback. I love listening to the "new age" music produced by the artists at New World Music as well, and Ludovico Einaudi is a fabulous pianist.

Hugs and Blessings to all --

Heathwitch

Hi Heathwitch :-)

Thanks for all the goddessie-musicie goodness you posted! I was espeically interested in the albumn you said that was recorded at Hal Saflieni Hypogeum in Malta - I was only there a matter of weeks ago! A truely amazing place... even if the guide did slightly annoy me by always referring to the priests that would have been there and never once even mentioning "priestesses"! Is there a web-site I could order the music from? Preferably an English one!

thanks and blessings,
Kate
xxx

Re: Re: Goddess Music?

Hi Kate --

The CD I mentioned is called "ReTURNING" and is by Jennifer Berezan. You can order it from her at Edge of Wonder or via amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005NC32/.

Good luck!

-- Heathwitch