The Alternative Science Physics Forum

New Alternative Theories Physics...

The Alternative Science Physics Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gravitational Red Shift

General relativity says, in an accelerating frame (e.g. elevator cabin ; supposed to be upward), frequency of light source at the roof is observed differently to an observer at the floor. And difference is related to the distance between the both.
- Trial of disproof - On the roof, there are two light sources (frequency is the same). In the middle of the one light path, there is a relay point. Frequency at the relay point is the same to the frequency of the other light path (point ; the same height). It will be able to regard this relay point as new light source (relay point is able to move to the floor limitlessly).

To administrator,

Sorry, i made a mistake !!! Erase please this post and above.

Distance will be related not to frequency but to wavelength and light speed (if the emission theory is true).《

Imagine a unit time h/c second (h is height of this elevator cabin). In this accelerated cabin, one light source is switched on. And after 99 h/c second, the other light source (frequency is the same) is switched on. At the moment (the latter light reaches floor), number of waves that exists in both light paths will be the same. Thus, phenomenon gravitational redshift (books say, difference of frequency is not appearance) is unthinkable.

i confess, this problem (in elevator cabin scale) must be considered under Ritz's emission theory. Wave length of light path becomes longer. Besides, this change will increase as the source recedes (also, speed of waves [relative to the cabin] will increase). Though, in the cabin, state will be constant (because, acceleration is uniform).

Allow me to post another question, please.

In many books, an experiment (done at a tower at Harvard University [height is 25 meter]) is shown. Now, a mirror is set at upper part of the tower. From the ground (just below ; point A), a light ray is emitted to the mirror (supposed to be 30 seconds), and reflected light is observed. Emitted light and reflected light at point A seem to be the same (on frequency also). How does relativity explain ?

Are there any errors in the following passages ? From non-gravitational field to gravitational field, a light ray is emitted. When two waves (from the start of emission, A+1th and A+2th [in these turn]) are emitted, the second light ray (frequency is the same) is emitted. Behavior of four waves (two are the front waves of second ray) in gravitational field will be the same. Phenomenon time dilation will be impossible.

Several books (e.g. “Raum, Zeit, Materie” by H Weyl) say,“Frequency that an observer receives is the same to the frequency that a light source in a different gravitational field (at a standstill) emits. But it’s not the same to the frequency that the same source at hand emits". By interference of this two lights (one waves pass the other waves ; different from interference of MM experiment), it seems to be clarified whether phenomenon gravitational redshift occurs or not (after enough time ; even by earthly experiment).

If phenomenon gravitational redshift is true, explanation (quantitative) as follows seems to be possible on an elevator cabin stays in a gravitational field. Light speed is slower in a gravitational field. So, speed of light emitted upward becomes faster and wavelength becomes longer. Then, redshift occurs.
-P.S.- In an elevator cabin in a uniform accelerated motion (upward), this change is contrary.

Gravitational redshift (both in a gravitational field and in a uniform accelerated frame) will be invisible. Because, colors are caused by the difference of frequency (not by wavelength).

In an accelerated elevator cabin (upward ; uniformly), behavior of every wave will be the same. So, difference of frequency at the roof and at the floor will be impossible (in an elevator in gravitational field, it will be the same).

On Harvard Tower Experiment

No book seems to touch on difference of atmospheric pressure (a tube [set vertically] was filled with helium).

There is a space ship (accelerating upward). Books say that "gravity" at roof and floor is different.

Disproof ; There are two probes (accelerating upward). Position of the two is apart vertically (distance is the height of the space ship). "Gravity" at the two will be the same.

Correction & Apology

i am sorry. Yesterday, i made a wrong post (because of a book ; in Japanese ; 2008). In a space ship, "gravity" is uniform.

Bending of Light by Gravity

Many books explain bending of light with an elevator cabin in free fall. Now, two elevator cabins are falling before an observer's eyes. Falling speed of the two is different because starting points of falling is different. Does the observer observe different bending of light (gravity g is the same) ?

Re: Bending of Light by Gravity

P.S. In many books, light ray is coming from the outside of the elevator cabin. In some books, light source is set on the wall of the cabin. In the former, falling of the cabin will have no effect on light ray (imagine a cabin without wall). In the latter (if the emission theory is true), behavior of light ray will be easy to imagine.

Re: Bending of Light by Gravity

To Gretchen,

i thank you so much. Also i say sorry, my English is not good (Bugs are still found). This site was opend in the latter half of 2003.

For a 10 seconds, an elevator cabin accelerated upward and stopped. Number of waves of light that appears and vanishes during that time will be the same.