Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kenenisa Bekele set for Millrose Games

Kenenisa Bekele set for Millrose Games

Ethiopian superstar to face Lagat in Wanamaker Mile

NEW YORK (Jan.5) - Kenenisa Bekele, the 2004 Olympic gold medalist at 10,000 meters and eight-time World Cross Country Champion, will compete in the famed Wanamaker Mile at this year’s Millrose Games, organizers announced today. It will be Bekele’s professional debut at the distance.

The second event of the Visa Championship Series, the 99th annual Millrose Games is set for Feb. 3 at Madison Square Garden.

“I’ve always liked the challenge of the shorter distance, and with no major championships for me in 2006 this is my chance,” Bekele explained. “I like to run in the U.S., and I have heard a lot about this Mile race in New York City.”

Bekele, 23, is widely considered one of the best distance runners in history. Twice named Athlete of the Year by the sport’s international governing body, Bekele owns three world records (10,000m, 5,000m, 5,000m indoors) and two world titles at 10,000m (2003, 2005) to go with his Olympic and Cross Country honors. His match-up against American Bernard Lagat, the two-time Olympic medalist at 1,500m and one of the best middle-distance runners of his generation, promises to be a highlight of the international indoor circuit. Lagat, the American record-holder at 1,500m, last year broke Eamonn Coghlan’s 24-year-old Millrose record in winning the Wanamaker Mile in 3:52.87

With just a year to go before its centennial running, the 99th annual Millrose Games, the oldest continuing sporting event at Madison Square Garden, is set for Feb. 3 at 6:30 p.m.

Tickets are on sale through Ticketmaster by phone (212-307-7171); via internet at www.ticketmaster.com; at a Ticketmaster outlet near you; or by visiting the Madison Square Garden ticket office. Information can be found at www.Millrose-Games.com. The event will be broadcast on ESPN2 on Feb. 5 from 6-7:30 p.m.

Email: vithibee@hotmail.com

City: NYC