Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ambassadors’ Donor Group Statement

This is sad. Now folks like Dr Berhnau will use this to force the CUD to enter parlament in spite of people's opposition.
Westerners understand power ... So far they have been only seeing the power of gun of the EPRDF. The CUD has failed to show its power which is the people. So WHY WOULD AMBASSADORS LISTEN TO THEM ?????

THIS IS THE FAULT OF THE CUD !!!! AND I AM AFRAID THEY WILL BE DOING ANOTHER GRAVE MISTAKE BY JOINING THE PARLAMENT AND PUT ETHIOPIA IN CHAOS ... FOR THERE WILL BE OTHER SPLINTER AND ARMED GROUPS THAT WILL BE FORMED THEN.

MAY THE LORD SAVE ETHIOPIA FROM BEING LIKE SOMALIA ..!

Email: tazabi@yahoo.com

City: Addis

Tazabi, I agree with you that the CUD leadership is responsible for this. I suspect that some in the CUD, such as Dr Berhanu, in fact, may have lobbied the ADG to issue a statement like this so that they can have an excuse to enter parliament. Our anger should be directed against the CUD leadership, not ADG, for failing to lead the people they promised to represent.

Selam to all

I cant wait to read Mamo's take on this.

With Love!

Folks,

Here comes the truth. Ana Gomes only tried to bury the truth for few days .Her report has been fully decimated by the PM's rebuttal letter and the Ambassodors group has opened its eyes to the overwhelming facts and the feeling of the people.

It was, then, proved Ana Gomes neither reflected the interest of the Ethiopian people nor that of the European contries. Who's iterest does it serve? Clearly, the report only reflected the personal interest of Ana Gomes and the opposition.

I am not sure if she will publicly admit her failure in her final reports but the fact is that her report will have little impact on the democratization process.

By now, every one should have clear understanding why Meles said her report was full of lies.

Finally truth has won, the Ethiopian People has won!Mamo Quilo, any comment?

Alemayehu01

Email: Alemayehu01-2005@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

My advise to the commentors: please use words that describe a good character, respect others that is a reflection of our beloved culture. Do not trash yourself, down grade this forum by being not professional in conveying your messages.

Best,
Thanks

Email: sol_richo@yahoo.com

Vibrant multi-party parlament? This shows that who their choice was even before the election. forget EU election observer mission report and Meles remarks. it was all a game.

What do you expect? The same donor supported and finaced the Meles dictator governament for the last 14 years. Most of them they don't want to see a genuine progress and development in ethiopia. They want to see disintegrated begger poor ethiopia. So, our trust and hope are god and the people of Ethiopia.

Email: Ywenzlej@yahoo.com

City: Atlanta

The ADG statement as well as hopes to continue dialog with OLF are the last nails to shut-up the mouth of power mongers and also may salvage the little democracy which has begun on May 15, 2005.

It does not matter what the donor nations have to say about us. We alone are in charge of our own destiny. It appears that their statement is made with a reckless disregard for the truth. That is what happens to a poor nation like Ethiopia.

But they also said, “Violations of human and political rights must be investigated and the perpetrators brought to justice.” Meles violated the human rights of Ethiopians when he killed 42 innocent individuals and violated the political rights of Ethiopians when he banned demonstrations and arrested thousands of Ethiopians and members of the opposition groups. Meles should be brought to justice and thrown out of office immediately. This is the only part of their statement that contained the truth.

We, Ethiopians, should be the ones who should make the decisions based on what is right for us and not the donor nations. If the donor nations do not respect the voice of the Ethiopian people, let them stick their donations in their own pockets.

ETHIOPIANS VALUE FREEDOM OVER DONATIONS. WE RATHER DIE WITH FREEDOM AND DIGNITY RATHER THAN BEING ENSLAVED WITH DONATIONS FROM WESTERN NATIONS!

SO GOD HELP US AS WE ALL STAND FRIM AND UNITED FOR OUR FREEDOM.

"Violations of human and political rights must be investigated and the perpetrators brought to justice." This is the substance that I can take in form the statement. When this statement is scrutinized, the whole point will have been said. I just cannot understand why EPRDF should be rewarded a winning card in parliament in retrun for its killings, abrupt blunder, and all kinds of violations of human rights.

Having all other avenues tried and failed including the last effort to investigate the irregularities, Ethiopians should unite indomitably to bring about the much needed democracy in order for the country to come our of the strait jacket of poverty and gross human rights violations.

Melsites,
The statement by the ambassadors' group did not say anything that contradicts what the EU observers's mission reported. They did not say the election was free and fair. They were very careful with what they wrote. They simply stated that NEBE (KEMAL BEDRI) has confirmed EPRDF's victory. No body contested that. In fact, it was an open secret, way before the election, that the NEBE will put Meles and Co. in power, no matter what.

Whether the diplomatic community will stand firm on principle or cave in under the pretext of maintaining peace, however, was any body's guess. Sadly, the ambassadors'group chose to put political expediency over the right of the Ethiopian people to vote and get their votes counted. The group acknowledged the killings, acknowledged the vote rigging ("irregularities" in diplomatic language), acknowledged Meles and Co.'s sole grip on the governmenet media, but chose to ignore it for reasons we can only speculate.

The struggle of the Ethiopian people to free themselves of the blood sucking dictators shall continue. No dictator has ruled people against their wills forever and Meles and Co. will not be the first in history.

To all concerned Ethiopians who are frustrated by the betryal of the diplomatic community in Addis and the western capitals, please keep your cool. This is not the first time that Ethiopia and Ethiopinas have been abandoned by outsiders. To the dismay of those who hate us, Ethiopia and Ethiopians prevailed then and we shall prevail again.

Let us not prejudge the opposition or the (some of) leaders' of the opposition. Now is not the time to resort to second guessing and infighting. Now is the time to stand shoulder to shoulder and intensify the Ethiopian people's peaceful struggle for freedom and democracy.

At these testing times, we should double our resolve and face the set backs patiently and with determination.

May god bless the Ethiopian people!

Mamo Quilo,

Where are you? Why doesn't tell us, at least, your disappointment? I am expecting your reasoned and substantive argument.You were dancing and rejoycing the Ana gomes's report as a victory day. Where are you now?

I believe the ADG report is a final death that put the nail to the coffin of Ana gomes's report. What do you say on that. If you have honoured the judgement of the Ethiopian people, you should not have dacing after the Ana Gomes report. The Ethiopian people have proved their support to EPRDF. You were confident that the Ana Gomes report will turn the public believe down. Now, where do you stand?

Don't frustrate. You are only required to open your eyes to reality. Still, I wish you happy new year.

Regards,

Alemayehu01

Email: Alemayehu01-2005@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

Dear Brother and sisters,

The only way we can help our people and our great nation is by being ourselves, being togather and persue the path of freedom and development for our people.

I recommend to all to read and re-read the above message by "visitor" and act accordingly.
The above writer had a very positive interpretation of the donor group statement and most importantly he/she has identified what true Ethiopians and friends of Ethiopians should do next. ie fight the brutal dictators where ever they might be and what ever it may take. I beleive fighting them in a peacefull democratic manner not only lead to the people victory but also will be less costly when compared with the human, material cost if the current government is leading the country for the next five years. They will completely destroy the country and the cream of society - those who are not a machinary to EPDRF/TPLF and those who object the sinister motives of EPDRF will disapear.
Hence the only way is to fight and win and not seat idle and die.

Thanks SA.

Email: Semachewa@yahoo.co.uk

City: London

The international community doesn't worry about the Ethiopian people. If not, they are well aware of the reality that the Ethiopian people hadn't elected Meles. They throw us food when their Ethiopian puppet begs for aid. It's upto the Ethiopian people to fight against this tyrant. We don't have to be submisive & hesitating.

We get the real justice from the Almighty Lord.

Email: wegenetenesa@yahoo.com

What more do you need? All the reports except that of Ana Gomez have said that Ethiopia is on the right track - it is making a genuin step to embrace true democracy. Most of us in the diaspora haven't been in Ethiopia for quite a long time and our knowledge of what is happening at home is limited. we can only learn from those co observers who committed time and money to do proper research.
Something that the out going US ambassador said caught my attention. we don't necessarily have to love our opposers and whose who seem to have a differing views. But we much respect and be willing to listen to them if we are to true achieve democracy. we must learn to tolerate one others. any time something goes against us we must no cry faul.
Let us not be deceived by those hypocrit politicians who are using the current situation to advance their agendas. all these cries are bs! Ethiopia didn't have an obsolutely free election but it is understandable. It shoul there were a number of problems but Rome wasn't build in one day. we are on the right track. let us keep helping each other. I entreat you that rather than wasting ur time and money going to NY to protest do something concrete to help those in need.
peace

City: boston

CUD is caught in the middle of two fires, his supporters and EPRDF. The wrong strategy and plan CUD used to promote itself to the ruling party position is now backfiring on it. If CUD decides to join the parliament after letting it's supporters die for it's cause it's (CUD's) supporters will make it they sworn enemy, if it boycott the parliament the EPRDF will make it ileagal the next day and hunt each and every CUD members and throw them to jail to rot there. Now the fat cat CUd leadership are ****ting their pants.

Email: jaff@aol.com

Jaffar,
Thats why CUD leaders had their passports visa stamped and air ticket in hand during the attempted coup.
I hope they boycott parliament, but for me its a totally different reason.
I want Addis Ababa cut to size and put in place, so it cannot do what mogadishu did to somalia, and what other african capitals do to their countries. everything in the capital and the outerlands with no say in power, is disasterous.
Addis Ababa should be told in no uncertain terms that she is only a big dirty city that needs a sewer system.
A temporary admin woud make the integration into the state very smooth. If CUD rejects the election, I would be celebrating.

You see!
Even though I am very upset, it is a well expected stand from selfish diplomats. We Ethiopians will free our nation from her tyrants son by ourselves. The Ambassadors’ Donor Group Statement has no a taste of truth. How could they be this blind, and ask the oppositions to be part of the dead parlama. First of all, Opposition parties have no any right to take order from outsiders. The Oppositions represent Ethiopians, not these groups.

Yes! I can understand that this so called diplomats are enjoying there career without a challenge, but they need to know the fact that they are part of the history and history shall no remember them as sub-human due to there bias judgment. They do not even want to give the doubt of the benefit for EU-election mission's statement. Rather, Meles latter create a fearful stand.

One day the truth will shine!
Ethiopians will claim there political freedom without any1's help!
Our unity will destroy, TPLF and bias diplomats stand!!!

Email: ethioart2002@yahoo.ca

City: Toronto

I’ve read the statement by Ambassadors’ Donor Group dated
September 13, 2005 with a total dismay, as it tend to prescribe what to do to the opposition parties and dare to make a decision to the fate our people.

Yes, it is a well-known fact that Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world whereby the large portion of both its annual budget and the feeding of its people depend on the donation from this very group. However, this doesn’t give them a mandate to dish out what is right for us by completely disregarding the gruesome acts of EPDRF such as: the vote rigging, killing and mayhem (innocent demonstrators, members of opposition parties, elected parliamentarians,….) the on going assaults on journalists, leaders of civil servants groups, and the list is far to long to list.

Ethiopia had learnt its lesson long time ago i.e. the destine of our people is determined not by any outside force who pose as a stake holder in our internal matter, it is rather, solely by the will and the desire of our people! Thus we shouldn’t be surprised by this statement …. One can draw analogy from how Emperor Hile Selasies appeal to the League of Nation and the type of replay he had received at the time. It is a two tier system one for them another for the rest of us!

No matter what, our People will and desire shall be realised!

Email: hassabu_1@yahoo.co.uk

i think its time the opposition to join the parlament ! Other wise , things might turn ugly to everybody , i am not expecting ANA GOMEZ will come up some other view than this !!!, she was exposed very badly , so -she may not come again to save the opposition , CUD-must be smart enough to use this opertunity . The PM and EPRDF -will go at any length to defend them selves, we may take the GOOd example from this day`s new ( PM meles wants to have a dialoge with OLF), lets all think wisely , if at this moment reached an agreement with OLF and the PM minister , am 100% sure that CUD-will not get what he has get right now-so , its time to come up with Other strategy !! join the parlament and keep on fighting =thats how i think , One more thing , they should stop listening to the diaspora ethiopians , they no nothing about ethiopia ,