Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Revamp the Indigenous Structure of Peace Making

By: Asegedech Mekonnen
September 9, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

""After confirming the electronics media participation in the accusation, I will sue them requesting apology for moral damage. But I think it is interesting case to test the independence of the judiciary," Gomes added."

Source: The Daily Monitor, Addis Ababa, August 26/05

"The burden of keeping Ethiopia's peace rests on the shoulder of Kinijit (CUD)", Berhanu Nega

Source: The Reporter Amharic on-line magazine. (Free translation)

The Outsiders

I was a bit reluctant to take Ms. Gomez's quoted statement as fact and comment on its extraordinary implication on Ms Gomez's character. But then this (The Daily Nation) seems to be a credible news media that should command my trust as a reliable source. Hence, my decision to go ahead with this commentary.

I also read a three-part letter written by Prime Minister Meles regarding Ana Gomez's report. His commentary, if the facts he presented holds ground, notwithstanding some other allegations he omitted, could render the Mission's report one sided and non-constructive. However, we should leave that for those who scrutinize the facts and tell us which version is correct.

For now let me concentrate on what she is quoted as saying. The first part is personal and within her purview. She could go ahead and sue the individuals and the institutions that have caused her 'moral damage'. But she will be considered a bit unruly and out of bound if her intention is to "test the independence of the judiciary." By stating this opinion of her, she concluded that the judicial system is not independent as long as it renders a verdict that does not suit her. This is a gross error in judgment that is coming out of a person that is supposed to be impartial and judicious. It is obvious that the judicial system could find an allegation unfounded or one that has a merit. This is a decision that the judges make after reviewing facts. How can, then Ms Gomez, tell us that her case will be a 'test case'? Is she going to bless the judicial system independent based on a single positive (favourable) outcome of her case? My intention here is not to defend the judicial system in Ethiopia. In fact when we constantly write for government institutions to be free from political influences, we are implicitly saying that their independence is being compromised; that they have to be free from political interference. What is bothersome in Ms Gomez's statement is her lack of sensitivity and responsibility. She must recognize that she is a guest of the Ethiopian people and act accordingly.

Ms Gomez is not really helping us get along the road to democratization. She has proven to be another ferenji who has a disregard for truth/facts and depends on her/his subjective feelings and create history. The many books and articles written by many foreign correspondents, save the few brave and fair-minded souls, fall into this category. Books on Eritrea were not based on facts but on heresy and false stories. Michela Wrong's book is one good example. I would direct readers to go to Dagmawi's website and read his book report. This man has convincingly shown how outsiders have grossly spoiled our history and our peace.

I have no qualms with Ms. Gomez's decision to find the government guilty of irregularities. Just a day or two before the election, I had commented that the ferenjis will find the election not free and fair. A conclusion that is favourable to a conduct of a third world country, let alone a country like Ethiopia where the politics is heated and passionate, should not be expected from the western world. A process that refused to involve the king-makers (NDI, IFES, IRI) in the election monitoring game is 'prima face' found guilty as charged.

But to the surprise of many of us the Europeans and the Americans will say that although not fair, their final recommendation will be for all parties to work together, i.e. for the opposition parties to join the parliament and for the ruling party to ease up on its hegemonic hold on all public institutions including the media. They would not want to antagonize Prime Minister Meles for the single reason that the West is glued to fighting terrorism. The ever increasing presence of China in Africa has become a new source of anxiety to the west that they would be careful not to antagonize Meles by associating themselves with the opposition. They will try to please both while maintaining the status quo.

Trust in Thyself

There is one thing that all parties in Ethiopia need to understand. The fate of the country rests on them. They need to stop accusing each other and try to be sensitive to the needs of our people.

Dr Berhanu Nega has shown his concern and sensitivity towards the safe-keeping of Ethiopia. This man has fairness, honesty and sense of justice that is built-in within him. I do not know if group politics and the characters of others could influence him to go against his fair judgment in the future. But his statements for the time being tell us how genuine and concerned this man is.

He understands that the role of outsiders is based on their self-interest. They have no problem in dividing Ethiopia into as many parts as is advantageous to them, if they conclude that this is to their advantage. He seems to understand that jeopardizing relative peace of the country for egoistic self interest is irresponsible and irreprehensible. I only pray that he gets the courage to be himself and be governed by his conscience. I have no doubt that if sober minds prevail over the destructive 'zeraf' mentality, the Ethiopian parliament will see divergent views vying to win the support of the people through peaceful, civil and legal means.

Unfortunately many Ethiopian politicians, those in power and those aspiring for power have become out-ward oriented. They trust outsiders to give them the right verdict. 'Yager shimagles' are no more respected and consulted. Outside powers have become the judge and jury trusted to give verdict on the future prospect of Ethiopia. In my opinion this is a wrong approach. We have lost many precious opportunities by concentrating on the trivial. It is high time that we start believing in our collective wisdom, avoid confrontational approaches, trust in our people and resources to guide us in the right direction and secure respect from outsiders. Outsiders come to us because they have a vested interest. We should be smart enough to realize that cost is involved in all transactions.

Ethiopia, as is the case with many old societies, has its own problem solving-mechanism. Community elders have an untarnished history of making peace in their community. It is based on community interest, future harmony and a redress to a victim. There is no any other farer method of resolving confrontation than this one. Third parties that come from outside the communities do so with their self-interest in mind. The fact that we 'begged' outsiders to come to our assistance speaks volumes to our lack of understanding in terms of building a free and fair governance that cater to the needs of the community. The government and the opposition tried so hard to please outside powers. In all their campaigns they were not appealing to the electorate to choose them based on their programs, but they were speaking to the Europeans and Americans, each arguing that it is better than the other.

"Yagerun serdo bageru berie". This and other similar sayings of the Ethiopian peasantry convey important messages for political leaders and other learned Ethiopians. Our fundamental interests are the same. But the way we want to achieve them may differ. There might be self interest involved but there is no evil intention to hurt the other among our politicians. We have to stop creating phantom enemies and fight with each other for no gain at all. Let's use our indigenous resources to solve our indigenous problems.

City: addis