Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anti-Amhara hysteria

The anti-Amhara hysteria was not only limited to verbal attacks and demonizations. All the non-Amhara population of Ethiopia were prodded or called upon to rise against the Amharas who were henceforth dubbed colonialists, expansionists and neftegna chauvinists etc and were made to bear responsibility for of Ethiopia's past and present ills. Soon the anti-Amhara witch-hunt began in earnest and began to claim human lives. In areas like Bedeno (13) , Girawa, Kurfa Chele (14) , Lange, Kersa, Soka, Deder, Hirna, Kuni (15) , Messela, Galeiti, Doba (16), Habro region (17) (Boke, Bedessa, Gelemso, Mechara), Arba Gugu (18), Arsi Neghele (19), Wellega (20), Gojjam (21) , etc Amharas and Amharic speakers (Gurages, Kembatas, Hadiya, christian Oromos, etc) were hunted down like wild animals and herded into various prisons where they were subequently exposed to tortures, and in some instances, forced labour and later mercilessly murdered and dumped in ravines by the forces of the OLF/IFLO/OPDO(EPRDF). Some of these precipices or ravines in which these victims were dumped are located in localities such as Gara Kufa and Chefe Bante both of which are located near my home town of Hirna in Western Harrarghe. Today the ravines into which the bodies of these innocent Amhara cvilians (many of them peasants) were dumped are popularly referred to by the local people as Haleya Amhara (Amhara ravines (22) or precipice i.e Haleya means ravine or precipice in Oromo language). In Dire Dawa city alone, 37 Amharas were brutally killed in one day and many others wounded when forces of the OLF/IFLO were allowed to go berserk against unarmed civilian Amharas in this city in the summer of 1991 right after the July 1, 1991 "national peace conference" - a conference that had the international backing of major western powers (23) and was publicized by western media moguls. The soldiers of the Tigrean army of TPLF who were watching this drama were laughing when Amharas were being brutally killed by the OLF/IFLO forces that were armed by the Tigrean regime - a regime which armed the rationals (OLF/IFLO, etc) and disarmed the irrationals (24) (the Amharas). Surprisingly it was the Issa Somalis of Dire Dawa (who were later publicly exhorted by Tamirat Layne to beat and punish the Amhara chauvinists and neftegas) who were revulsed by these deliberately instigated pogrom-like anti-Amhara campaigns in Dire Dawa city and sent a telegram asking the TPLF/EPRDF government officials in Addis Abeba to immediately intervene and stop the bloodshed. The Issa Somalis of Ethiopia threatened the government in Addis Abeba saying that should the EPRDF government fail to intervene and stop the carnage of Amhara civilians, they (the Issa Somalis of Dire Dawa) would directly intervene to stop the blood-shed (25) . Subsequently it was these Issa Somalis who came to the rescue of the defenseless Amhara civilians of Dire Dawa and assured them their safety since the Amharas were disarmed and were not allowed to defend themselves against the OLF/IFLO thugs who were armed and encouraged to attack Amharas by the Tigrean regime. This solidarity which the Issa Somalis showed to the Amhara civilians of Dire Dawa will go down in history as a great example of human compassion in times of distress and need. No political group inside (except this Issa group in Dire Dawa) or outside Ethiopia that is worth its salt protested the wanton killings of Amharas in such places like Araba Gugu, Hararghe, Wellega, etc until the All Amhara People's Organisation (AAPO) appeared on the scene in January 1992 and began to voice the plight of the Amharas (26) . In the north western Ethiopia region of Gonder such as Humera, Dansha, Armachiho, Wolkayit, Tsegede hundreds of respectable Amhara elders were executed by EPRDF soldiers. Many of these Amhara elders were executed in places like Kabtiya and Adi Goshu (27). Many others, among them, the famous Ethiopian patriot Fitawrari Yeshi Wendem Nadew, were taken to Mekele prison after they protested against the forceful annexation of their fertile region to Tigrai in 1992. While the Amharas in the countryside were being subjected to ethnic cleansing by the EPRDF/OLF/IFLO, etc thugs; the Amharas in the towns and cities of Ethiopia experienced ethnic cleansing of a different sort. Here in the towns and cities, highly experienced, educated and qualified Amharas were being dismissed and sacked from their jobs. These vacant places have since been filled mainly by drop-outs and cadres of Tigrean and Eritrean extraction. In the face of all these assaults, the Amharas were defenseless. It was this situation which precipitated the emergence of the All Amhara People's Organisation (AAPO) that was founded by professor Asrat and few dedicated Amharas. AAPO publicly announced its legal existence on January 14, 1992.

you parasites and bone cancers,i bite my finger if you dont ripe what you sow.we use our culculated and accurate measure to wipe you out of history not to be considered as human being but as cancers and parasites.

Re: Anti-Amhara hysteria

Tana, thank you

Cancers and Parasites huh?!?!

You might find it interesting that Adolph HITLER used those very same words to describe the Jews!

Such hate and especially unfounded hate is not good for anyone my friend...

Just a thought from someone that does not believe in hate...it has really no positive purpose for those who hate and the hated at the end of the day...Hmmm?

Hmmm?

Hmmm,
You are a spin master. What you are doing is called reverse psychology. You are the one who gunned down young, old, women and children. You are the one who is hateful trying to spread hate and division among ethnic groups. Instead of unite all ethnic groups; your master is working overtime to create chaos. Meles is the one who is following Hitler style abuse and murder. You have a nerve to blame some one for your crime. The blood in your hands is not even dry to blame somebody else. International reporters and Human Rights observers have reported some of the crimes you have committed. You can spin till the cows come home but you cannot hide the truth. You are GUILTY!of murder and torture.

When I was in Dire Dawa a few years ago I heard that three Amharas were killed in chat tera i.e.chat market and their bodies were left there for three days.What a shame! Killing people just for belonging to a certain group is the worst crime that a human being can commit.From what I was told it could have been much worse if it were not for the Somalis who came to their defence.Allah bless them.
It is for this reason that Amharas should forget about civility and act in groups to defend their fellow men and women as there is no other choice.The Tigreans have attained superiority in our country only because they operate in that frame of mind.They are known for the saying that when the nose is hit the eyes cry to show they are one body.

Email: zghiwet@yahoo.ca

City: York

I do not blame Non Amhra Ethiopians to be suspecious and hateful toward us (Amhra), after all it is Amhra dominated governemnts who mass genocided hundereds of thousands of innocent oromos and stolen Oromos land (Shewa province Included Addis Abeba).
Not only, that The Amhra dominated governemnts is also responsible for the mass genocidation of more than million eritreans and hnderereds of thousands of Tigreans for the last 40 years only.

Email: Getachew@yahoo.com

City: Washington Dc