Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A nightmare news for Mamo Qilo and the like.

Ethiopia Stands First In African Countries In Cost Effectiveness For FDI

Addis Ababa, September 13,2005 A foreign magazine entitled "Foreign Direct Investment" said Ethiopia stood first among African countries in cost effectiveness for foreign direct investment, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.

In its statement sent to ENA, the ministry said on Monday the magazine published by Financial Times Business Ltd Ethiopia ranks second for its favorability for foreign direct investment among East and Central African Countries.

In its 2005-2006 evaluation, the magazine says Ethiopia is favorable for foreign direct investment with its cheaper labor and suitable infrastructural development, among others, the statement said.

It said the country had licensed foreign investment projects with an aggregate capital of 1.1 billion USD.

Re: A nightmare news for Mamo Qilo and the like.

AL-Amoudi weights 60pc of Ethiopia’s total FDI

http://www.uneca.org/era2002/kit/era_2fortune_july21.htm

Oh mother of Ethiopia ... an economy under enemy control, by one man. This is no economy. We have a terrorist training camp in Ethiopia, at Sheraton hotel....while million Ethiopians go to sleep without one meal.

The anti-Amhara hysteria was not only limited to verbal attacks and demonizations. All the non-Amhara population of Ethiopia were prodded or called upon to rise against the Amharas who were henceforth dubbed colonialists, expansionists and neftegna chauvinists etc and were made to bear responsibility for of Ethiopia's past and present ills. Soon the anti-Amhara witch-hunt began in earnest and began to claim human lives. In areas like Bedeno (13) , Girawa, Kurfa Chele (14) , Lange, Kersa, Soka, Deder, Hirna, Kuni (15) , Messela, Galeiti, Doba (16), Habro region (17) (Boke, Bedessa, Gelemso, Mechara), Arba Gugu (18), Arsi Neghele (19), Wellega (20), Gojjam (21) , etc Amharas and Amharic speakers (Gurages, Kembatas, Hadiya, christian Oromos, etc) were hunted down like wild animals and herded into various prisons where they were subequently exposed to tortures, and in some instances, forced labour and later mercilessly murdered and dumped in ravines by the forces of the OLF/IFLO/OPDO(EPRDF). Some of these precipices or ravines in which these victims were dumped are located in localities such as Gara Kufa and Chefe Bante both of which are located near my home town of Hirna in Western Harrarghe. Today the ravines into which the bodies of these innocent Amhara cvilians (many of them peasants) were dumped are popularly referred to by the local people as Haleya Amhara (Amhara ravines (22) or precipice i.e Haleya means ravine or precipice in Oromo language). In Dire Dawa city alone, 37 Amharas were brutally killed in one day and many others wounded when forces of the OLF/IFLO were allowed to go berserk against unarmed civilian Amharas in this city in the summer of 1991 right after the July 1, 1991 "national peace conference" - a conference that had the international backing of major western powers (23) and was publicized by western media moguls. The soldiers of the Tigrean army of TPLF who were watching this drama were laughing when Amharas were being brutally killed by the OLF/IFLO forces that were armed by the Tigrean regime - a regime which armed the rationals (OLF/IFLO, etc) and disarmed the irrationals (24) (the Amharas). Surprisingly it was the Issa Somalis of Dire Dawa (who were later publicly exhorted by Tamirat Layne to beat and punish the Amhara chauvinists and neftegas) who were revulsed by these deliberately instigated pogrom-like anti-Amhara campaigns in Dire Dawa city and sent a telegram asking the TPLF/EPRDF government officials in Addis Abeba to immediately intervene and stop the bloodshed. The Issa Somalis of Ethiopia threatened the government in Addis Abeba saying that should the EPRDF government fail to intervene and stop the carnage of Amhara civilians, they (the Issa Somalis of Dire Dawa) would directly intervene to stop the blood-shed (25) . Subsequently it was these Issa Somalis who came to the rescue of the defenseless Amhara civilians of Dire Dawa and assured them their safety since the Amharas were disarmed and were not allowed to defend themselves against the OLF/IFLO thugs who were armed and encouraged to attack Amharas by the Tigrean regime. This solidarity which the Issa Somalis showed to the Amhara civilians of Dire Dawa will go down in history as a great example of human compassion in times of distress and need. No political group inside (except this Issa group in Dire Dawa) or outside Ethiopia that is worth its salt protested the wanton killings of Amharas in such places like Araba Gugu, Hararghe, Wellega, etc until the All Amhara People's Organisation (AAPO) appeared on the scene in January 1992 and began to voice the plight of the Amharas (26) . In the north western Ethiopia region of Gonder such as Humera, Dansha, Armachiho, Wolkayit, Tsegede hundreds of respectable Amhara elders were executed by EPRDF soldiers. Many of these Amhara elders were executed in places like Kabtiya and Adi Goshu (27). Many others, among them, the famous Ethiopian patriot Fitawrari Yeshi Wendem Nadew, were taken to Mekele prison after they protested against the forceful annexation of their fertile region to Tigrai in 1992. While the Amharas in the countryside were being subjected to ethnic cleansing by the EPRDF/OLF/IFLO, etc thugs; the Amharas in the towns and cities of Ethiopia experienced ethnic cleansing of a different sort. Here in the towns and cities, highly experienced, educated and qualified Amharas were being dismissed and sacked from their jobs. These vacant places have since been filled mainly by drop-outs and cadres of Tigrean and Eritrean extraction. In the face of all these assaults, the Amharas were defenseless. It was this situation which precipitated the emergence of the All Amhara People's Organisation (AAPO) that was founded by professor Asrat and few dedicated Amharas. AAPO publicly announced its legal existence on January 14, 1992.

you parasites and bone cancers,i bite my finger if you dont ripe what you sow.we use our culculated and accurate measure to wipe you out of history not to be considered as human being but as cancers and parasites.

They also forget to mention the 17 million starving ethiopians and the diying education system.

The informtion is probably provided by one of TPLF departments, just like the information they provided to YARA, painting a rosey picture of Ethiopia, when the reality is very much different.

Love to Ethiopia

City: AA

Tana!!!
The interhamwe Hutu's didn't come close to you when it comes to propagate hate in their infamous radio. Keep it up the worest work until you the demon is hunted and burried in a 6 meter grave. You don't deserve to live you are hate monger

Email: jaff@aol.com

The true economy of Ethiopia.

http://www.defendamerica.mil/images/photos/aug2005/index/Hi-Res/kelemworktarikushotts2.jpg

Folks,

Let's begin with demarcating the difference b/n our conutry and the current polical rivalery, the People and the elite/politicians.

First, it is shame for the opposition and its supporters to deny the success story of the country to blindly oppose the EPRDF led government.I believe every Ethiopian should be proud of such success stories.The opposition should not try to damage our national image because of its rivals or enimity to the EPRDF.

Second, we should take care in addressing our people. On both sides there are individuals that try to promote hatred among our people.I believe, we have to differentiate the people and the parties.We should clearly differentiate b/n the Amhara people and the few Amhara elite for that matter from the CUD.I don't see any difference b/n the farmers from Amhara, Tigray, Oromia, Afar, Sidama...etc. So, no one should blame the people of Amhara for the past national opperassion led by few power monger rulers/elites. I believe CUD represents only the elite group and any hatred politics don't reflect the interest of the Amhara people. There is no conflict of interest b/n our people.

There fore, let's try to play by the rules of mature politics.Let's avoid promoting hatred among our people. This the least thing that we want to see at such critical period.

Regards,

Email: Alemayehu01-2005@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

Gebreslassie,
such news are like poison to the Ankasas and Sebaras in this forum. The became like mad dogs. This is excatly what their master the shrud Shawel had said to the BBC HARD TALK journalist: Please Hailu asked to the West saying "give us no development and food aid, nor debt cancelation till I am in the palace". This people want to see this country in disaster unless they came to power. The good thing is that the country is still marshing in the right direction. What is in chaos is their state of mind and that will continue for unindefinite long time. It is like a serious cancer. It will not leave them. This cancer will finally kill them all.

You said, “...to damage our national image”

Are you denying the true image of Ethiopia? Millions of starving people begging for one meal a day and night while 100, perhaps 500 beasts decide what to do with these poor orthodox children of Ethiopia. AL-Amoudi would say, “lets ask their Christian partners to feed them, I personally don’t have any penny to waste on this garbage. I am here to build my empire. If I don’t do this, the Saudi princes will deny me any access to my capital. But, my Arab friends think that poor Ethiopians should change their Christian name and immigrate to Arab countries in search of slave labor”

Dear Alemayehu01,

I don’t know if you are one of these soulless beast seating at Sheraton but, who ever you are, the judgment day is on its way and we, the true children of Ethiopia, will not only prevail but crush your bones in side your luxury hotel

Ethiopia strives to feed itself - Today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4238904.stm

Kelem,Human:

You hate Al-Amoudi just because he is a muslim as you hate Arkebe just because he is a tigre. For you Ethiopia is; Amhara, Orthodox, Eskista, Raw meat & Amharigna while Almost everything the country export is from Oromia where most of the population is Muslim. Imagine the rest of Ethiopia with out the Oromos. How poorer are you gonna be. You're full of hatred & jealousy.

gelachew,
You are not muslim. You are nothing but a spin master. Another woyane to spread hate among ethnic groups. SHAME!

Yemyreba woyane,

I don't have to be a muslim to expose Feudals, Racists & chauvenists.

Gelachew,

You are highly mistaken. My mother is a Muslim. She is, however, a wise Ethiopian Muslim who happens to have lived with her orthodox Ethiopians with love and care. She tells me how Ethiopian Muslims are different when it comes to relation with their brothers and sisters of the orthodox faith. She tells me that the Muslims of the Middle East do not appreciate Ethiopian Muslim because we wish to live peacefully with all Ethiopians. My mother came to Addis, from Harrer, and married my father, who is half Oromo and Amhara. They still live together and love each other. I am today pleased to be an Ethiopian only because of my parents. I hate to even talk about ethnic backgrounds because I grew up in a much higher spirit of human relationship. How sad I feel for all the confusion wayanne has created with its groundless policy of ethnicity.

My friend, Ethiopia is a nation with a long history of inter-marriage and co-existence of diversity. It is my Muslim mother womb that tells me the true history of Ethiopia and that is why I say to you that Ethiopia, without its orthodox tradition, is unimaginable. This tradition is the core of Ethiopian civilization, the only Christian civilization that embraces its Muslim citizens equally and respectively. Today, the Muslims of the Arab nations will like to see a conflict between us because they are jealous of us. Al-Amoudi is conditioned and corrupted with Saudi money. He does not represent Ethiopian Muslim at all. He cares only about himself.

Let us not destroy our unique civilization brothers and sisters!

With love!
Kelem

Ato Gebreselassie,

How are you coping with the goings on. Your Master is spending part of his days playing cards with Ibrahim. Lat year he was rubbing shoulders with Presidents and Prime Ministers. This time it is Ibrahim in A hotel room. Next year it would be in an apartment building in Virginia. Good Luck.

Anksa Doro

Gebreselassie wrote:

"...In its 2005-2006 evaluation, the magazine says Ethiopia is favorable for foreign direct investment with its cheaper labor and suitable infrastructural development, among others, the statement said."

Who would hate to witness the success of one's own country. The problem is, it is not unusual to read such stories, whereas very often the reality shows something on the contrary.

Ok, let us take the reason of "cheaper labor" as a possibility for a country filled to its brim with unemployed citizens. However, to believe that Ethiopia has a suitable infrastructure to attract investment would be too naive. I just came in after two days drive to west Ethiopia. Driving in one of the best 4WD at a rate of 50 km per hour is almost impossible. It took us almost the whole day to cover the 350 km journey. The roads are not roads as such. In places, they look like river gullies and at best they look like mozaics of pitholes . Mind you, this is along one of the main routes. One can imagine the problems with more remote areas.

Ok, let us not reason based on anecdotal cases. Consider the communication in general including telecommunication. Consider the energy supply. Consider the access to clean water. Are they telling us that all these are better in ethiopia than anywhere in africa?

It seems such reports are part of the make-believe propaganda. We remember stories like that of Yara, the numerous honorary degrees( including to Ato Girma W/G), the prizes, etc. We are not fools. So, we believe what we see more than what we are told to believe, because we know some are good in fabricating news than in making them.

Dear Gebreselassie:

Instead of quoting an unnamed foreign megazine to claim that Ethiopia turned the best to attract foreign direct investment under Woyane's rule, I recommend you to read the following:

News Today

Developing countries still in the red - World Bank report
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accounting for the actual value of natural resources, including resource depletion and population growth, shows that net savings per person are negative in the world's most impoverished countries, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa, according to a new World Bank publication, 'Where is the Wealth of Nations?', launched on the eve of the 2005 UN World Summit.

Current indicators used to guide development decisions - national accounts figures, such as Gross Domestic Product (GDP) - ignore depletion of resources and damage to the environment.

In the Conference Edition of 'Where is the Wealth of Nations?', the World Bank offers new estimates of total wealth, including produced capital, natural resources, and the value of human skills and capabilities, which show that many of the poorest countries in the world are not on a sustainable path.

"New measures of wealth make the social and environmental costs of development decisions visible that are not captured by traditional economics, and thereby allow us to improve actions and policies for sustainable development. Including the value of natural resources and our social capital in national accounting is a vital step to achieve economic growth that is equitable and sustainable," said Achim Steiner, Director General of the World Conservation Union (IUCN).

The publication offers a ranking of countries according to total wealth, with tables highlighting the 10 wealthiest and the 10 poorest countries. Switzerland heads the list of the top-ten performers, the other nine being European countries, the United States, and Japan. Sub-Saharan Africa dominates the bottom-10 list, with Ethiopia having the lowest level of total wealth.

"If a household is running down its bank account from month to month, or having to sell assets such as vehicles or livestock in order to keep food on the table, then we would conclude that this household is not sustainable," explains Kirk Hamilton, Lead Environmental Economist, Environment Department, and the main author of the book.

"The same applies to nations as a whole - if their net saving rate is negative then this is a signal that national wealth is being run down and the development path is not sustainable."

The companion booklet, Ensuring Environmental Sustainability, however, highlights that there are important exceptions - Mauritania has improved its development prospects through better management of fishery resources, while Botswana has successfully used diamond resources to finance the schooling, health care, and infrastructure which have supported its high rate of growth.

In the case of Botswana, the government makes specific provision in its budget to ensure that mineral revenues are invested rather than consumed through government expenditures.

It also maintains a large mineral revenue fund which can both finance future investments and buffer the government budget from swings in diamond prices.

This combination of macroeconomic and natural resource management has permitted Botswana to avoid the 'resource curse' that has afflicted many oil producers.

"Every day, decision makers in developing countries are faced with difficult choices regarding the exploitation of natural resources and the environmental impacts of development programs and policies," said Ian Johnson, World Bank Vice President for Sustainable Development.

"But the tools currently being used are leaving out the natural resources stocks and intangible capital such as knowledge and skills. Sound management of ecosystems is key to a responsible path to growth. This publication challenges common assumptions about how nations generate their wealth."

With this publication, the World Bank releases what could be termed the 'millennium capital assessment', or monetary estimates of the range of resources - produced, ecosystems, and intangible - upon which development depends. This comprehensive snapshot of wealth for 120 countries at the turn of the millennium aims to deepen the understanding of the linkages between the ability of a country to develop and the level and composition of wealth.

According to 'Where is the Wealth of Nations?', natural wealth - the value of minerals, energy, forests, cropland, pastureland, and protected areas - is actually a much higher share of total wealth in low-income countries than produced capital, 26% compared with 16%.

The 7th Millennium Development Goal (MDG) - to ensure environmental sustainability - calls on countries to "reverse the losses of environmental resources" by 2015.

Achieving this goal has proven to be elusive for most countries, not least because of a lack of indicators of sustainable development.

"There is a shared sense of urgency about meeting the MDGs," added Evans, "however, it would be tragic if the achievements of 2015 are not sustained because soils have been mined and fisheries and forests depleted. Avoiding this outcome is the true seventh Millennium Development Goal."

Dear Liku!

Where do you find the phrase under, "Woyane's rule" in the magazine?

“….The publication offers a ranking of countries according to total wealth, with tables highlighting the 10 wealthiest and the 10 poorest countries. Switzerland heads the list of the top-ten performers, the other nine being European countries, the United States, and Japan. Sub-Saharan Africa dominates the bottom-10 list, with Ethiopia having the lowest level of total wealth….”

It is sad to see that our beloved country is still among the worst in the world. 15 years leadership this is what we get from tyrant Meles.

Kelem thank you. I agree with everything you said.

Gebreselassie,

"Kidamen Senbet new Kalaluh ayigebham, Ayidel?"

Here is a direct quote from the stuff you posted (cut and pasted):

"In its 2005-2006 evaluation, the magazine says Ethiopia is favorable for foreign direct investment with its cheaper labor and suitable infrastructural development, among others, the statement said.

It said the country had licensed foreign investment projects with an aggregate capital of 1.1 billion USD."

Which period do you think is the above referring to?

You cannot avoid shooting yourself on the foot. Once again, you exposed how shallow and gullible you are!

Grow up!

Dear Gebreselassie:

Yes, I inferred "under Woyane's rule" from the stuff you posted, as Zobel pointed it out. To know that Ethiopia has been under Woyane's rule in 2005-2006 does not demand a university course on logic. Did you get me Gebre?

Yemayreba Woyane,

Minor correction:

According to the publication cited above, Ethiopia is not only among the worst, but it is the poorest of all. This new approach of wealth evaluation includes the stocks of "natural resources and intangible capital such as knowledge and skills" of a given nation. With these two elements added into the evaluation system, one would intutively expect a higher rank than we usually see in such lists. No, we sliped down. There is no one below us; we are standing on the floor of the abyss with the steep cliff above us. I think, Woyane has achieved what seems impossible in only 14 years. Its leaders deserve indeed a special recognition as that from Yara.

In the recent interview in BBC's Hard Talk, the major achievemnt boasted about by our PM was the education sector. He claimed that the education coverage rose from a mere 19% during the Dergue to a staggering 70% (?) at present. Assume this statistics is true. Not only that, we can even take the liberty of being witnesses to the numerous new schools, colleges and universities that have been opened in the last years - empty buildings?. But, where is their contribution as "intangible capital" to positively influence our rank in the world list?

When asked if Ethiopia would eradicate hunger in the remaining 10 years to the deadline set for the Millennium Development goals, our leaders answer (please see BBC):

"Prime Minister Meles Zenawi strongly believes that his government can achieve this goal within the next five years, if an improvement in agricultural production in the past two years is anything to go by."

"His information minister, Bereket Simon, concurs.

'Definitely we believe that Ethiopia will achieve this target. The potential of the country is enormous,' he says."

Are the two talking about a different Ethiopia than others know?

Gebreselassie, would you please enlighten us on which Ethiopia you are talking about?

Bravo Ethiopia ,Bravo EPRDF
Bravo citizens
water+vinegar for the radicals
Gebre- you are so consistent and very good person
keep it up on providing good news to us and night mares to the ankasas and quilos

Pierden BMV 1.72%, Dow Jones 1.32% y Nasdaq 1.48%

Pierden BMV 1.72%, Dow Jones 1.32% y Nasdaq 1.48%

Operadores e inversionistas muestran su preocupación ante la crisis del sector inmobiliario que se acentúo con el reporte de ayer que señala menos ventas de viviendas usados 13:40
Promedia dolar 11.19 pesos a la venta en bancos del DF 09:50

Se deteriora confianza en la economía de EU

Sigue nerviosa Bolsa de EU por baja en venta de casas sigue la especulacion por narco alianzo salgado macedonio con narco capama