Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hailu Shawel was a Minister under the Derg! SO WHAT???

Azirtachew, etc garbages:
You are a man with no content (empty vessel). Did I say all EPRP members are criminals? Not at all! I didn't even say all TPLF members are fascist. Despite the fact TPLF is a group that did commit and is committing unforgettable (if not unforgiveable) historical crimes, like making Ethiopia with a 73 million people landlocked while giving everything to the 3 million people. Guilt is individual. There is NO guilt by association. Hailu Shawel could have assumed a ministerial position under the Derg. SO WHAT??? Rather Dr. Fasil Nahum, the legal brain of Meles NAZIAWI, was at the epicenter of red terror. He was the legal brain of Mengistu H/M too. Dr. fasil Nahum wrote a book in which he openly advocated that red terror had "a revolutionary legality". He even introduced the famous Derg slogan "kehulum belay abiyotu" He meant the revolution was even above the law and argued Derg can keep on killing as long as it was meant to defend the revolution. Fasil Nahum is such a nasty person. But he is still assuming a key gov't position. For Weyane an ex Derg or an ex ISEPA becomes a criminal the moment he opposes the Weyane's fascistic rule. This is sickening. I know you guys are hard core weyanes pretending to be free thinkers. I can even identify Yezinb tengara leave alone a denkoro Weyane. Regarding national reconcillation my position is crystal clear. It simply is immunity from criminal prosecution, but not from civil liability. All victims of EPRP, Derg, TPLF, MEISON etc fascists should be entitled to adequate compensation from the leaders of all these criminal organization. You are going around the bush and don't dare to touch the gist of the matter. You thought you got an opprtunity to disseminate confusion on the two issues: Nat'l reconcillation and civil liability.
Email: hagere_ethiopia@yahoo.com

Email: hagere_ethiopia@yahoo.com

Re: Hailu Shawel was a Minister under the Derg! SO WHAT???

Any one who served or serving or ready to serve for that matter any regime proven or to be proven criminal at a level of decision making should not assume any public post and must be held accountable for the attrocities commited by that regime on the people. So If Shawel was a Minister during the DERG at least he should be banned to lead any political grouping that can have any influence to change the political course of the country. That could only be done if the electorates are in a clear demand to bring back that very regime he or she served at the highest level has served. Such people, if the admitted their wrong deeds and regret to serve their country in the new direction using their experize, they can play role of adivisory. For instance if Hailu Shawel is an Engineer who has a good knowlegde in road construction, he could serve as an advisor to the minster of road or some thing like that. But it is an insult to the people to make Hailu Shawel, if he was really a derg minister, to a PM. It is like driving the engine of human development along the back direction.

Lawyer:
You have it the name i.e Lawyer, but not the content. In any criminal law, under any jurisdiction, one cardinal principle universally applicable is that: Guilt always, under all circumstances, is individual. There is NO guilt by association. Hailu Shawel can NOT be guilty just because he served during the Derg. Germany after the 2nd World War< I think, has 8 or 9, maybe 10 chancellors. Five of them had directly or indirectly a Nazi past. It is because they were not part of the Nazi crimes. First class nut, denkoro weyane as you are, you can never ever understand such logic. By the way, why don't you utter a word about Dr. Fasil Nahum. It is because your political agenda is to attack CUD and UEDF leaders. Besides, so long as the Ethiopian people want them why you worry this much. The Ethiopian people have by their vote told you unequivocally that Hailu Shawel and CUD are better than Weyane and Meles Naziawi. Clear? Kalgebah TENEFA!

Email: gmedhane@yahoo.com

Lawyer:

How about those who blew off bridges and roads constructed by the Ethiopian Roads Authority (ERA), one of the institutions Ato Hailu Shawel headed at some stage? I presume that your depleted common sense will enable you differentiate between building and destroying.

from what we know the AGAZI militia massacred 40 and wounded 100s of Ethiopian kids in their own streets, some were killed outside their front doors.

These CUD people would stand up for anyone of their secretly held criterion. This criterion, from what we have seen so far, must be something sinister and unspeakable. It must be so gross that it doesn't have a place in the heart and soul of ethiopians. Thats why These CUDites always jump and stomp when asked of their backgrounds as Aite Shawl took a good three questions for coming out with half truth admission that he was Derg regime official.
At the end of that interview, I expected the man to say the Derg regime was at the very minimum, bad for our country, bad for our people. He could have even mentioned the despicable treatment of our dead king, by the fascist dictator, which all ethiopians regardless of parties agree was disrespectful of our culture, tradition and very humanity.
Aite Shawl, couldn't bring himself to do any of that. Instead he chose a an even more embarassing option. He stated that he became derg for money to support his family. If the CUDites are telling ethiopians, this is the best prime minister they have, congradulations, now you can go and govern ethiopia, over my dead body.

Its disrespectful of our heritage, culture and sense of pride, to be governed by a man who could be part of the most cruel and still unrepentant regime for money.

CUDites only have one option, tell us your secret criterion how you follow leaders, before they become classified as ludites against ethiopia moving on.

Hagere,

You tried to defend top CUD leaders who were in the top leadership position during the red terror.We all know that they can't be in the top leadership poistion UNLESS they support the ABIOT.The same theory holds true for those individuals working with Woyane. You know what that means-killing everybody who is on their way-poor EPRP was one of the victims. Your leaders-Hailu Shawel, Colonel Goshu,etc were ministers in the early days of the Derg. These guys earned it by doing something. Won't you agree? These are the few individuals but there are so many in CUD who actively worked with the Dergs. Is that the reason why they don't want to join UEDF? They know what they have done. Yewega biresa yetewega ****esa. At least you didn't even condemn them for associating with the Derg dictator. Anyway, there will be time where everyone will be judged. We are working hard to bring democracy and freedom of speech and justice to our country. I want to remind of again reconcillation is the best way to go.

No one will benefit from your propagation of your hatred and defamation.

Belachew

Who cares is not how you should respond- Hagere. If you have guts, without insults and racial slurs, you can raise and defend your point.

It is a legitimate question. True, Shawel is elected by the popular vote of the Ethiopian opposition party CUD, but if one asks what was his role in the Derg regime and why did he leave, one can make an argument that he in fact, unlike the other Derg members that stuck to the end, after two years of association left the regime because he had political objects on the course the government was taking. I admire that a lot. I think it is a sign of integrity on Dr. Shawel's part. However, I will have some problem with the likes of Goshu who enjoyed more than a decade of Derg perks and are now in leadership position, until recently, in the opposition party. Having questionable people in leadership position at this point of our struggle only justifies the woyane's position that these were criminals or members of the previous government. We have to have an impeccable position and our leaders have to be better than the woyane to refute these charges not just with words but also with the integrity of their characters.

To the extent this is a discussion forum, please let us discuss our views and issues without calling each other names. We are mature individual-I assume.

Email: whocares@email.com

City: New York

Dear MG,
Hailu shawel indeed did serve 9-1/2 years and out of this 5 long years as a minister. On one of his letters to Fiseha Desta, he wrote " --- I served the revolution with great determination and dedication---"
be the judge.

WHAT A BLUNDER!!
what matters isnot whether Mr Shawl was a minister of the derg or not but does he repent and regret the past.
In many instances he and his colleagues were claiming that the derg was better than the EPRDF. This is what shows thier sinister motive to theire bieng neodergs. what fasil nahom is doing is this. He knows that he didnot have the opportunity to serve his nation in democratic way but now he got the chance and ofcourse trying to redirect meles and his regime in the right track because EPRDF and its government donot kill for what you criticize. But your CUD bedru adem dreamt EPRDF to go back to dedebit. Not even the chance of becoming loyal opposition
hey you got to see this all.

CHEBUDE:
Can you show me one, just one simple difference between Derg and the TPLF fascists? Can you tell me the difference between serving Derg and TPLF? Can you just show one simple difference between Meles Naziawi and Mengistu H/M? Can you tell the difference between bedeno, arbagugu, sene 1, Murdering Assefa Maru, Murdering university students, Murdering 40 innocent men, women, children,and that of the Derg red terror???? Can you show me the difference between the ethio-Eritre war under Weyane and that of the Derg???? Can show me the difference between losing 100 thousands soldiers within two years and 65 thousands soldiers within 30 years???? Are you in the right frame of your mind when you dare to say Weyane is better than Derg? Can I dare to say you have no sound mind? You are moron number one.

Email: banley@hotmail.com

Hagere,

Here is a recent post about one of the leadership of CUD:

"Hailu shawel indeed did serve 9-1/2 years and out of this 5 long years as a minister. On one of his letters to Fiseha Desta, he wrote " --- I served the revolution with great determination and dedication---"
be the judge."

ARE YOU STILL BLINDLY DEFENDING THE LEADERSHIP?

GEBEYEHU

Isn't anyone tired of this type of character assassination by now without questioning the fact?? If so, then we as a people are very ignorant to do so without facts.

So, what he served undert he Derg, so did thousands of now EPRDF members. Who says Woyane does not have xderg and what does that mean?

So, maybe when there is a true democracy in Ethiopia, people might (if still ignorant) say things like "No, you or you cannot run for office in Ethiopia because you served under the Woyane/EPRDF era!" this is nonsense. If someone has changed and adopted a peaceful struggle FOR the sake of democracy and his actions show it?....show it to the point where they're a threat for Meles who killed 42+ of innocent civilians and is destroying the country (which includes Tigreans believe it or not) then who are we to question it without fact??

Or are you simply a woyane supporter spreading confusion as usual who keep talking about this nonsense and taking away attention and time as your leader is going downhill for sure?!?!?

Hmmm???

Hmmm?

For those who are living for the sake of yor stomach-UN SATISFIED P I G S
Hailu shawel was a minster under the derg so what?
to speak franklly derg is much better than woyane!!
you know woyane's operation was for the sake of thier stomach.They don't have any understanding about
democracy and "HAGER FIKIR".DERG had his owen qualities and many weakness.But,"woyanewoch"you are apart frome humanity,you don't have human element that is why many people saying WOYANE is UN SATISFIED PIGS.

Email: anipafvision@yahoo.com

City: Mekele

hagos,
you left one thing after the sedib and manquashesh. zeraf would go along very well with your feckera and gurra.

I STRONGLY DISAGREE with the statement that Derg was much better than woyane statement. It was not. Of course now we hate this regime and it is easy to say the good old days....

However,

I don't consider having soldiers come and search your house every year freedom.
I do not agree that the inability to come and go to visit your family freely from abroad freedom.
I do not agree having not even one independent newspaper freedom or democratic.
I do not agree forcing people to wear uniform to work as freedom,
I do not agree killing over 150,000 without shame or due process freedom/democratic
I do not agree the stifling private enterprise and the confiscation of property without compensation freedom.
I do not agree killing the educated force of our country as necessary or justified.

If you want to condemn EDPRF, go ahead and do so, but it an insult to those of us you have our families slaughtered to tell us they are better than Woyane. And it is a misrepresentation of the truth. Are they equally worse is another question.

Email: whocares@email.com

City: New York