Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An Excellent Proposal - A Way Out of The Deadlock

I have been an observer of this forum for months. I hope you would not consider me Yergo Zenb if I jump in and propose a way out of the deadlock.

Months of reading this forum lets me believe that Supporters of CUD and EPRDF are in a deadlock. EPRDF supporters blae CUD as an Amhara Party. They argue that the Amhara has ruled for 200 years. It is now time for others to rule. Whether CUD is an amhara party or not, this sentiment seems to resonate by most EPRDF supporters.

On the other side of the fense are supporters of CUD who blame EPRDF and TPLF as responsible for tribal politics and ethnic strife. Again whether this is fact or fiction is beside the point, but the sentiment resonates. They also say that the Tigray was part of the last 200 rulling noblities.

Here is my proposal. How about letting UEDF form the transition government? This would give us a way out. Give UEDF full responsibility to prepare the country for free and fair election within two years. It is one party that is not seen as a major problem by either CUD or EPRDF. How do you see this?

Yergo

Re: An Excellent Proposal - A Way Out of The Deadlock

Yergo Zenb,

I really think this is an excellent and a fresh proposal. The power struggle in Ethiopia has nothing to do with Amhara. It is a struggle to have democracy. I would not be the right person to vote on this since I am UEDF supporter. Let us here from CUD and EPRDF supporters. Yergo Zenb, one thing is for sure. You have disarmed the likes of gebrefenafent and Ibrulekuskus.

Ibrahim (Irulekuskus) what do you think of this excellent Proposal? Yilma what is your take on this. Ethiopian how about you? By the way did you send the $200 to Shibre's family?

Ankasa Doro

I agree this is a fresh proposal. It is also a good starting point for discussion. It breaks the deadlock.

MD

May have been a good idea before CUD-UEDF close relationship, but now the conditions have moved far out.
UEDF did not distance herself enough from CUD to be seen as a good mediator.

The second reason is that UEDF might seem less polirizing in comparison to CUD and EPRDF, but it is only because everyone knows she doesn't have as much MPs. The closer they get to power, the more attack will be headed their way.

The third reason is Dr. Merrara's group is actually the weakest. Thats why his reapproachment with OLF, in order to strengthen his hand in case CUD succeedes in a coup. His group is already falling apart and Dr. Beyene was not too close to CUD as Dr. Merrara for that reason. Their base is solidly against CUD and the leaders are trying to use it as steping stone.

Ms. Gomez for CUD and Mr. Clark for UEDF have tried all sorts of combinations. Its not workable.

sorry that I put only as to why that cannot work, but your point was to discuss that proposal.

Awalom,
you said
"The second reason is that UEDF might seem less polirizing in comparison to CUD and EPRDF, but it is only because everyone knows she doesn't have as much MPs. The closer they get to power, the more attack will be headed their way."

You said it all. That is exacatly how TPLF operates. The closer, these oppositions get to power, the more they are attacked. Now CUD seems stronger, so every attack should be directed as such. For TPLF, there is no difference between CUD/UEDF so long as they come too close to power, they will then be: dergist, chauvinists, narrow nationalists, haters etc. and deserve the gouillotin of "revolutionary democracy". Awalom, don't bother to explain. The enquirer and the whole world know that TPLF is never prepared for any real opposition. For TPLF, there is nothing in between. Their unwritten constitution reads:"All or None". Very unfortunte for our country and her people, for the consequence of such a policy is too much to even imagine.

Thats not only how EPRDF operates. Everywhere in the world where there is democracy and competition, the front runner or second place are always more scrutinized.
Would you be throwing mad with no.10? I don't think so. That would be misuse of your campaign money and time. On the contrary you would go to no.10 and tell him/her that there is no way in h-ell he/she is going to win, so you ask him/her to join you.
Thats what happens in democracy, except in the hooligan world of CUD and the likes.

Awalaom, You know it I am not talking about campaigns which were over a week before the election. I don't think TPLF/EPRDF threated the two differentially then. All the selective attack came after it was clear that CUD is a clear winner. Every thing being done has nothing to do wth democracy. OFDM has suffered as much during teh campaign as ONC, but every thing focused on CUD after the election, for it was the obvious winner. The sweeping victory in Addis was particularly unbearable and too symbolic that needs to be dealt with "revolutionary democracy". It mus be the "TPLF" democracy which states that the tax payers media has to be used to villify, demonize and attack the very people elected by millions. No, it is the tplf jungle democracy which kills innocent people and imprisoin thousands for protesting what they see as unjust and for being mebers of a legal party. It is TPLF democracy to kill MP elect and let the perpetrators roam free. The fate of UEDF/OFDM or any other opposition would have been no different. For TPLF/EPRDF "every real opposition is an enemy and has to be dealt as such".

As for demonstartors being killed, lets wait at parliamentary investigation. Demonstrations were banned. Did anyone had a coup planned? Who coordinated of paralizing the city and starting chaos in some corners? lets wait for the investigation.

I don't think you're telling me that Shawl is maria theressa? He is the man who admitted, only when cornered and ambushed with facts, that he became derg (fascist) to make money, support his family.

Lets not demonize people with incidents that we haven't heard from different sides.It doesn't solve anything except create hatred and never ending revenge.Unless thats your objective, which I hope not.

what is the word hatred means for you?
You just labled Hailu as fascist and tell us not to be non haters. Which part of my statement reflect hate while you are the one who lable a person who is not guility beyond reasonsbale doubt as "fascist'. Are you telling me that EPRDF is more symapathetic to hailu Shawil than Siye Abraha or Tamirat, that they pardoned his guilt. How unfortunate they are to fail to find a single incrimnating evidence after all these deep diggings. about the investigation, don't tell me about the independent "kemal Bedri's" team or the new Omboudswoman", the previous EPRDF member, Or the parlaiament which is not even allowed to pass an agenda other than those from EPRDF. No, no body buyes these bull****s any more. There is only one option: Naked tyrany or respecting people's choice. The result of the former I presume would be obvious to EPRDF than any one else. If we learn..

The choice is respecting the people's choice, EPRDF.

Even the language used is not civil.How could all ethiopians support CUD when they did not even compete in 100 constituencies plus somali state?
According to CUD, these are not people, they don't count.Regime change for all the country from Addis Ababa is courting disaster. If people don't care what happens and make a coup, expect so many coups, for the game changes.
I call the derg regime a fscist regime. I don't know about you. Mr. Shawl did not bring his participation in Derg, except when confronted and cornered.
even then he only admitted for two years, which others dispute. He stated his reasons were to make money. He never condemned the regime, you can listen to the interview again. He only tried to justify doing it for money, to support his family..etc.
This man knew what was happening. He is not the government beaurocrat who works regardless of which political party or regime is in power. He didn't participate with anti-government groups...for me he is fascist enough.

This is a good dream that can not be materialized anyway. UEDF has badly become corrupted and out of point when it is represented by Negede. From UEDF guided by Negede-the RED TERROR ENGINEER, CUD with Hailu the Derg minster is a better choise to dream. However choosing is possible when the winner is not legally known. This all dreams could be seen after 5 years. Now next PM is most likely HE PM Meles Zenawi any any one from the EPRDF.

HULATCH AREF BNLIS!

City: AA

EPRDF didn't consider including the othere region/ethnic based parties other than the three big ones in its coalition, is that becuase they thought they are people not worth considering? Your effort to to drag CUD into your ethnic matras is a futile one. I haven't heard CUD claiming tehy have wn 100%, this is one of those shear fabrication to confuse others. I do agree with dergue being a fascist, but I don't consider every one who worked for dergue as fascist. I don't consider President Girma/Girma Birru/Dr Duri mohamed/PMs economic advisor, etc as fascists just b/s they worked for dergue. Those fascists and all those alleged to be associated with them ar rotting in prison including many innocent ones. But, I also consider a leader who ordered to shoot on the head unarmed protesters in their poor neighbourhood as fascist too. PM, Meles was aboslutely in charge of the force which killed 42 innocent people. About this accusation that he didn't talk about his role in dergue until he was confronted by BBC? Are you implying it was new to EPRDF? It is intesting? His CV submitted for election also shows that too. What would you have said had Birhanu or beyene or Merara been the heads. I saw on ETV some people labling Merara as dergue cadre too. You see, I see that for EPRDF, the enemy are all those who come close enough.

Those in EPRDF that were in or around Derg:

1. there are always people who just happen to work for the government, wether Janhoy, Derg or now EPRDF

2. Those who were officials and who regretted the butchery and fascism that happend

3. Some may have had efforts to topple derg, or close working with the anti-fascist forces.

Why did he dispute intially during the interview? Couldn't he have a better reason than working to make money from fascism? was it really only two years?

Its not important at the moment. Except a few who support him for unspeakable reasons, no body expects him to be prime minister. His is closed file.

As for EPRDF not accusing him, I don't know. He could be squeeking clean or his time hasn't come. There is no time limitation for fascism.