Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
IT IS TIME FOR THE CUD/UEDF TO PRESENT THEIR STRONG CASES AGAINST EPRDF TO THE UN!!!

This is just a humble opinion I would like to share with my True Ethiopian brothers and sisters. (Excluding of course: those Tribal bandits and HODAMOCH).

Ethiopia has reached to the point where only strong principles and actions can save the country from facing more bloodshed and more human right violations. History, repeatedly has taught us that all those savage, man-made, unwanted incidences, like state-sponsored terrorism by dictatorial governments against their own people, happened and are still happening because some men with executive powers to halt human right violations, waited a little longer to act. Good examples be: The tragedy of the Holocaust, in Germany. & The tragedy in Rwanda. Both tragedies could have been prevented from occurring!!

Let me go directly to my point. A government is supposed to protect its people from harms, not to bring harms to them. But where should people to look for protection, when their own government is killing them, abusing them, harassing them, arresting them, torturing them, dividing them, worshiping hatred to them???

There got to be an authority that will hear and protect the Ethiopian people. There got to be authority figures out in the international communities, who are familiar to His Majesty Haile Selassie's prophecy, a speech delivered to the League of Nations,on June 30th, 1936. A speech that left the international communities with two choices: "either participate to create collective security or international lawlessness". What a prophecy!!

Regardless of what we think about the King, he became Time Magazine's "Man of the Year", because of this speech. His Majesty Haile Selassie's prophecy came true, when France and Britain were also invaded by Mussolini and Hitler. Mussolini expanded his evil, lawless desire to control the world, Ethiopia was not his only target to attack. Dictatorial leaders like Meles, needs to be stopped before they are expanding their savage acts, both in extent and territory wise. There should be no room for negotiation with murderers. This is a matter of principles to defend mankind, from preventable man-made tragedies---state-sponsored terrorism!!

Fortunately, the United Nations is serving as the forum where nations with the history of dictatorial governments, can lay their cases before the World. So, as a humble Ethiopian citizen today, I respectfully ask the CUD/UEDF to add one more fallback plans to their lists: TO PRESENT THEIR SOLID CASES AGAINST EPRDF TO THE UNITED NATION!! Please do. UN has a moral obligation to be practical and punctual to save mankind, and not being a collection of words and promises. You have strong cases to be heard, it needs to be presented to the UN and to the World.

THE USA:

1."We expect all political parties to work through any future phases of this process, including the formation of a new government, in a peaceful, transparent and democratic manner," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said.

PM Meles, has banned the oppositions not to hold public meetings, by doing so he violated the people's right to seek and receive information that enable them to make the right decision to elect their leaders. Wouldn't this violate the criteria: "IN A PEACEFUL, TRANSPARENT AND DEMOCRATIC MANNER"?

2.U.S Representative Chris Smith, a Republican, said: 'I am concerned that officials have not begun the inquiry more than two months" after what he described as the "slaughter" .As each day goes by, we become more skeptical that an honest investigation can be undertaken and part of that reason is you also tend to lose evidence and memories fade. We want truth and transparency" Smith said after meeting Meles and opposition leaders. Smith urged authorities to respect the opposition."Stop following them, stop intimidating individuals who are supporters," he said. "Nobody in politics likes opponents but that is the price of democracy. Friends don't let friends commit human rights abuses,"

THE EU:

ETHIOPIA ELECTIONS CONCERN EU OFFICIAL: (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050825/D8C6QIC80.html)

By ANTHONY MITCHELL

"Key aspects of Ethiopia's parliamentary elections failed to meet international standards, the European Union's chief observer said, on August 25, 2005. The May 15 voting included widespread human rights abuses such as arrests of opposition members and witness intimidation, Ana Gomes said. "Overall the elections appeal process failed to provide an effective remedy for the parties," she said in the EU's first report on developments since the elections. The ruling coalition has been declared the winner.Days of violence followed the elections as protesters angered by allegations of fraud clashed with security forces. Human rights groups say 42 people were killed by security forces trying to disperse the crowds.The elections had been seen as a test of Prime Minister Meles Zenawi's commitment to democratic reform. His administration had shown authoritarian tendencies before the voting, and developments since have been troubling. Information Minister Bereket Simon said that Gomes and the European Union favored the opposition, even though they had been unable to prove most of their claims of electoral fraud."

Humbly asking you to present your strong cases to the UN and to the world of the people!!

Happy New Year to all Ethiopians around the World!!
May this Year be the End of Woyane!!!
May this Year be the end of Tribal Bandits!!
May This Year be the end of Hodamoch!!

MAY GOD BLESS THE GREAT ETHIOPIA AND ITS PEOPLE!!!

Re: IT IS TIME FOR THE CUD/UEDF TO PRESENT THEIR STRONG CASES AGAINST EPRDF TO THE UN!!!

Brother,

Another day dream???? Check the UN CHARTER for any possiblity. Obviously the possibility is ZERo. Don't waste your time wrangling here and there.

Email: Alemayehu01-2005@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

Re: IT IS TIME FOR THE CUD/UEDF TO PRESENT THEIR STRONG CASES AGAINST EPRDF TO THE UN!!!

BASIC FACTS ABOUT THE UNITED NATIONS
---------------------------------------------

"Virtually every United Nations body and specialized agency is involved to some degree in the protection of human rights.

One of the great achievements of the United Nations is the creation of a comprehensive body of human rights law, which, for the first time in history, provides us with a universal and internationally protected code of human rights, one to which all nations can subscribe and to which all people can aspire.

Not only has the United Nations painstakingly defined a broad range of internationally accepted rights; it has also established mechanisms with which to promote and protect these rights and to assist governments in carrying out their responsibilities."

-----------------------------------------------------

Please read more on BASIC FACTS ABOUT THE UNITED NATIONS at this site::

http://www.un.org/aboutun/basicfacts/hrights.htm

I admire and support your call "saynotohatred" but to be honest, I think you are underestimating the power of the UN. They are really an organization that is meant to be a referece point when it comes to conduct of soverign states/countries on proper conduct and often can serve as mediators and complaints. However, the main fact to remember is that they are not designed to serve as enforcers toward any state's malpractice,etc. The leaders of the world have those typical roles...as you know, Great Braitain was that #1 leader of world politics, military and finance. After World War II, the United States officially took over that role. The US would be the entity to go to here not even England at this point in time or history. The EU is an observer nothing more unforutnatly and really really...The US is being let by incompetent leader who won't even know where Africa is nor any country...further the US policy on Ethiopia is to have and I quote the state dept. "To have all parties and the gov't resolve their transition to democracy in a peaceful manner and through legal channels" It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the US let alone Rep. Chris who recently went Addis...the fact that he along with the US policy on assisting Ethiopia HAVE NO CLUE whatsoever as to the level of repression and dictatorship and even the possiblity of the collapse of this gov't that kills and insists on staying on power no matter what...it's almost as if Meles & Co. want the collapse of Ethiopia in everyway along with Artilce 39....So, my friend to rely on the UN is really falling on deaf ears, they couldn't rescue us in WWII and they won't rescue us in the future. They hate the spending of 250million dollars a year from maintaining the border already, they're not going to rock the boat by making Meles angry...cause they know that Sheabia/Woyane love to go to war during elections as they have done twice for the sole purpose of influencing the destiny of Ethiopia by Sheabia...sorry, you might label me a conspiracy guy but it's almost public knowledge by now...

I appreciate the idea but I doubt it will have any effect what so ever...if the UN could really exercise its'power to reinforce bad dictators and fraud elections, they need over 2 billion soldiers to police the world! That aint happening, there is a limit to the $$$ the donor groups can give the poor nations and they really don't care quite frankly either...the Donor group that is. IF ANY CHANGE IS TO COME, IT WILL HAVE TO BE THROUGH SACRIFICE OF LIVES AND BLOODSHED AND BRING WOYANE OR SHEABIA BY PROXY DOWN WITH POPULAR UPRISINGS, OTHERWISE ETHIOPIANS MIGHT AS WELL SIT AND BE DESTROYED SLOWLY WHILE MELES GETS THE NOBEL PRIZE NEXT TIME!!

Just my thoughts although I admire the call to do something.

Peace

Hmmm?

Dear Hmmm? Happy New Year to you and to all your family members!! I thank you so much, for taking your time to share your views and opinions with me, regarding this topic. I also appreciate your honesty, may God bless you! Dear Hmmm? I do, infact agree with most of what you have said including:

"The UN is really falling on deaf ears, they couldn't rescue us in WWII and they won't rescue us in the future"

Dear Hmmm?: You are absolutely right, and I am with you. However; let me try to explain my point using one silly analogy,hoping I won't bore you to death. It is somehow like this: using the drug and drug receptros phenomenon. When a drug is administered into our body, we don't see the route it is taking, we don't see either those drug receptors, receiving the drug. But we just hope and trust for the drug to go and hit the intended drug receptor, to bring the desired effect. So we kind of blindly trust the drug, to reach its target (drug receptor sites). So, in our scenario here we just hope and pray, for one of our many appeals to grab the attention of the right person in the international communites, a person like Ana Gomez-- a man/woman of honest who isn't shying away from speaking up the unpleasant truth, to make a difference.

To summarize, I still share your perspective, it is the people of Ethiopia to decide the fate of the last decisions, on how to end the Woyane's regime. Until that time to come,however; it won't hurt to consider all other options available, even some of them might seem unrealstic alternatives.

Dear Hmmm?: As one of their fallback plans, I still strongly would love to see the CUD/UEDF, to present the three solid cases to the United Nations, General Assembly.

Case#1 (Human right violation): PM Meles has banned the right of the people and the opposition party members to hold a public meeting.

According to the International Human right treaties:

"Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association" (Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 20).

Case #2.(Human right violation): PM Meles gave a military order that led to the killings of 42-46 innocent citizens.

According to the International Human right treaties:

"International standards limit the use of force by authorities in controlling peaceful or non-peaceful assemblies.International standards require that law enforcement officials should use force only as a last resort, in proportion to the threat posed, and in a way to minimize damage or injury."

Case #3.(Human Right violation): "The May 15 voting included widespread human rights abuses such as arrests of opposition members and witness intimidation", Ana Gomes said. "Overall the elections appeal process failed to provide an effective remedy for the parties."

Dear Hmmm?: Although, we don't expect the UN to force Meles Zenawi to give up his power by forcing him to resign and/or by other means; I strongly believe that the UN has a responsiblity to hold Meles Zenawi accountable for the killings of 42-46 innocent citizens, and bring him to justice.

Also, I strongly beleive that the UN has the right tool and/or power to restore the Ethiopian people's right to participate in peaceful demonstration, and also to restore the right of the oppostion party members to hold a public meetings.

Dear Hmmm!: I just also found out that PM Meles Zenawi is going to come to New York, sometimes nextweek with an intention to deliver a speech, to the UN General Assembly. It could be a good opportunity, for the CUD/UEDF representatives in the USA, to present their cases, as well. In addition to the planned protest rally in New York, right in front of the UN Headquarters. (I just read the news at the ER's front page).

Reference website I used:(ON FREEDOM OF ASSEMBLY AND ASSOCIATION)can be located at:

http://www.hrea.org/learn/guides/freedom-of-association.html

*BTW, Hmmm?: I found the White House Press release, announced about several days ago, encouraging as well.(personal opinion of course).

May God bless the Great Ethiopia and its People!!!

May God bless the Ethiopian-Americans for Democracy!!! I pray and hope the CUD/UEDF: will follow their steps and appeal to the UN, as well. This should be a Must!! What a great job EAD!!!
Here is their appeal to the UN:

------------------------------------------------------
Appeal

Open Letter to UN Sec.-Gen. Kofi Annan
Ethiopian-Americans for Democracy
September 12, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
His Excellency Kofi Annan
Secretary-General
United Nations Organization
1st Avenue at 46th Street
New York, NY 10017
Dear Mr. Secretary-General:

In 1936, Emperor Haile Selassie stood before the League of Nations, challenged the now-defunct body to live up to its commitments, and cautioned the member nations with his prophetic words, "God and history will remember your judgment." Today, over 72 million disfranchised Ethiopians raise their voices and request you to uphold the cherished principles of the United Nations and to disinvite Mr. Meles Zenawi to the 2005 World Summit, in protest of his violations of fundamental human rights, disrespect for the people's votes, and the recent massacre of peaceful protesters.

In total disregard of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Mr. Zenawi has subjected the people of Ethiopia to relentless oppression.

(i) On May 15, 2005, the people of Ethiopia exercised their inalienable rights enshrined in Article 21 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, under which everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country, and cast their votes of no confidence in Mr. Zenawi's 14 years of autocratic rule.

Upon realizing his defeat, Mr. Zenawi used the state machinery and dubious electoral procedures to thwart the aspirations of the people for freedom and democracy. His flagrant violation of Article 21 is documented in numerous reports, including the recently released report by the European Union Election Observation Mission, which stated “… the 15th of May post-polling day irregularities, delays and opacity of the counting and aggregation of data, plus the subsequent flawed handling of complaints and re-runs of elections in some constituencies, …, did not live up to international standards and to the aspirations of Ethiopians for democracy….”

A review of elections held during the past 14 years of Meles Zenawi’s rule reveals consistently disappointing results as documented by the African-American Institute (AAI), the Washington-based National Democratic Institute (NDI), and the Norwegian Resource Bank for Democracy and Human Rights (NORDEM).

(ii) In the wake of his devastating loss at the polls, Mr. Zenawi violated Article 20 of the Declaration, under which everyone’s right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association is protected, by issuing a draconian state of emergency, which banned all demonstrations of any sort, and brought all the security forces, the police and the local militias, under one command accountable to him.

(iii) On June 8, 2005, Mr. Zenawi ordered his troops to massacre over 42 peaceful protesters, and detain thousands of supporters and members of the opposition.

The international community, including members of the US Congress, the European Parliament and other respected organizations denounced the June 8th killings and subsequent arrests. Most notably, in a statement issued on June 8, 2005 (www.et-eueom.org), the European Union Election Observation Mission wrote: “The Mission deplores the deaths of citizens in Addis Ababa in clashes with the security forces over the last days and today. … Many of the injured, mostly by gunshot wounds and including women and children, claim they were shot at random by security forces while waiting for public transportation. ….”

In its 2005 report, Amnesty International confirmed “the prevalence of widespread arbitrary detentions, torture, and excessive use of force by police and soldiers” and declared: “several thousand people remained in long-term detention without charge or trial …prison conditions were harsh.”

(iv) Mr. Zenawi has curtailed the freedom of the press and has imprisoned editors and reporters of the free press, in infringement of Article 19, which guarantees that everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression. This was confirmed, for example, in a recent report of the International Freedom of Expression Exchange (IFEX) which stated: “In the wake of a violent crackdown on protesters following the 15 May 2005 parliamentary elections in Ethiopia, an alarming number of journalists are being arrested and charged for reporting on the situation.”

(v) Mr. Zenawi denied opposition groups the right to free and fair investigation of electoral fraud. As carefully stated in the aforementioned European Union Election Observation Mission report:

“The complaints investigation process took place in the context of serious violations of human rights and freedoms, namely of opposition leaders and suspected supporters. This undermined the opposition’s ability to participate effectively in the process, … material evidence was unobtainable because detained or fearful witnesses were unable to testify and, in one case, an important witness was killed. The climate of threats and intimidation was maintained throughout the complaints investigation process. …. Also opposition witnesses were arrested before or after they testified in front of the panel, and many witnesses or opposition supporters reported to the observers that they were threatened in various ways...” The report also added, “…de facto there was no level-playing field: the ruling party was generally represented on the panels by important members of the local society, including state officials, such as judges. This increased confusion between the roles of the state and EPRDF and exacerbated the atmosphere of intimidation…”
Your Excellency:

The people of Ethiopia lay their deep trust in you not to dim their faith in the lofty ideals of the UN by the invitation of an authoritarian ruler, who has desecrated the fundamental precepts of the organization. As Secretary-General of this august body, we believe that you know very well the significance of the overture of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which states: "… if man is not to be compelled to have recourse, as a last resort, to rebellion against tyranny and oppression, that human rights should be protected by the rule of law." Mr. Zenawi has chosen not to heed this universal tenet, and is leading the country along a disastrous path. Therefore, to provide a podium for him at the World Summit will be to legitimize his dictatorial rule and to reward his disdain for the civilized world.

Respectfully yours,

Ethiopian-Americans for Democracy

hagerwedad@yahoo.com
CC: President of the General Assembly of the UN
President of the Security Council of the UN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETHIOMEDIA.COM - ETHIOPIA'S PREMIER NEWS AND VIEWS WEBSITE
© COPYRIGHT 20001-2003 ETHIOMEDIA.COM. EMAIL: webmaster@ethiomedia.com

---------------------------------------------------

May God bless the Great Ethiopia and its people around the world!!!!

Hello 'SayNoToHatred' and Happy New Year to you and your family as well.

What can I say, I must agree with almost every proposal you have, including case#3 suggestion. I think it's good to explore all options, but I must say, I am saddened by the effectiveness in the public and in particular the West/US/EU policy towards Meles. The problem is we as an Ethiopian Community are not really effective in creating and executing a public outcry and exposing Meles (which he's exposable) due to a lack of organization and quite frnakly money along with the right leadership that can lead these efforts of public relations or even lobbying (which we lack)...I think public demonstrations are fine, but they are not a very effective campign that will bring about a poltical change in the policies of these world bodies. It is well knwon that Meles spends millions lobbying his character and policies towards Ethiopia to the AU, EU, and even the US mostly through the Embassies and Amb.Ayele the idiot. The thing is, we need to up the campaigns and the opposition parties along with the Ethiopian Civic Organizations and also the Ethiopian Communities at large ought to be united in these campigns and raise money and start a grass roots community effort to lobby congress, trust me when I say lobbying the US Congress alone will bring the biggest change as oppossed to public demonstrations. I admire and respect your call and I applaud you for it...that is certainly one area of this campaign against this Meles that has been antiethiopia since day 1. The only organization that I see making a difference in lobbying congress and forcing Meles in the last year to hold or pretend to hold free/fair elections is the Citizens League of Ethiopian Americans (CLEA)...otherwise, all the other groups are really talking loud and having little or no effect.

Thank you for your input and ideas man, I've enjoyed it, I can tell you are a true etypiawi bro...keep it up. I wish you'd join some effective organizations where you live man, I think you can help make a difference 'Saynotohate'...peace!!

Hmmm?