Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why Not Consider These Perhaps?

First of, I would like to present myself as generally an older ferenji man who fell inlove with Ethiopia as a culture and country since my early years traveling and personally seeing in those days HIM Haile Selassie in the early 70's, I was quite excited that perhaps Ethiopians might lead Africa and perhaps even the middle east by example. I admit, the world of Haile Selassie seems a century a go and certainly the country was different then including the ethnic situation which keeps baffling me to be honest. Thus, the reason I decided to post this ad in an attempt to perhaps learn more even a little bit about the current ethnic divisions. I have recently been to Addis Ababa and the major cities and the country as I have for over 40 years although I am a world traveller by hobby. I have never known such a direct relationship as in the politics of Ethiopia and I say politics only excluding the society, the society to me is much different. I see a connection and similarities between what goes on in this forum and the minority extremists that obviously favor the Ethiopian Government is clear but my question is this without putting anyone to sleep:

Why are the overwhelming majority of Ethiopians letting ethnic differences serve as the biggest political obstacle to political change?!?

I am addressing only the true majority of opposition supporters here. In other words, don't you know it's only by uniting and creating a new movement in your country's history (perhaps similar to the Martin Luther Kings philosophy of tolerance) that you can change your political society?

I understand Mr. Meles and his supporters of an Ethnic homeland are making history here and potentially not sure what the ultimate plan is but I still have to refer to my origional question and puzzlement to the majority of opposition supporters.

Can anyone please shed a light and help this old man understand a misunderstanding perhaps?

Thank you and wish Ethiopia and all it's citizens a new age of political togetherness and philosophy, I hope.

Ferenji Bystandard

Re: Why Not Consider These Perhaps?

Why are the overwhelming majority of Ethiopians letting ethnic differences serve as the biggest political obstacle to political change?!?

Good Question