Author
Comment
Ethiopian PM attacks EU monitor

duruye
------------------
Ethiopian PM attacks EU monitor
BBC, September 1, 2005

Meles has been in power for the last 14 years
Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi has accused the chief European election monitor, Ana Gomes, of acting like "a self-appointed colonial viceroy".
Last week, an EU report said the 15 May parliamentary elections failed to meet international standards and complaints were not handled well.

But responding in an Ethiopian newspaper, Prime Minister Meles dismissed her report as a pack of lies.

He accused her of seeking to force his government from power.

Mr Meles said the EU official had endorsed opposition calls for the creation of a national unity government and new elections which were unacceptable to the ruling party.

"The good lady can apparently not take 'no' for an answer from the natives," he wrote.

Some 40 people were killed in election protests
"She apparently does not understand that as soon as these merely bad ideas become tainted by association with an election observer, turned self-appointed colonial viceroy hell-bent on twisting the arms of the government to force it to accept her dictates, merely discussing the ideas, let alone accepting them, becomes unthinkable," he wrote.

Election returns show Mr Meles's coalition retained its majority but opposition parties gained many seats. The final official results are not due to be announced until 23 September.

The two main opposition groups maintain they won and are threatening to boycott parliament unless a unity government is formed.

Several days of violence followed the parliamentary elections and around 40 people were killed when police fired on protesters.

Re: Ethiopian PM attacks EU monitor

The intellectuals with words, the students with demonstrations and uprising, the farmers with the very primitive way of cultivation and harvest and living condition, and generally the Ethiopian people with major outbreaks of hunger and diseases including aids, malaria and TB, loudly and persistently said to the west including EU about the true nature of the Meles regime that took power with gun at the first place. Yet the west including the EU were reluctant to take the Ethiopian people side because of reasons that are more important to them than the suffer and death of the Ethiopian people because of leadership failure. Now the truth is broken. The people are spoken. The streets, back doors and windows, lies, manipulations, blackmailing opponents and the likes by the Meles regime became not acceptable by the people that are on a high way walking together with the truth to reach/ have the kind of administration the world is having (democracy). Yet the GOVT that is ruling the country under Ethnic lines by turning its dark face to terrorise the people while smiling towards the west when laying and manipulating them as a fool became determine more than ever to stay in power with gun. Meles and co, are now openly acting as if they don’t care about the 75 million Ethiopians but their power. They are looking and preparing the situation in order violence be broken as they have gun in hands and financial means to kill and imprison the peace loving opponents. The Ethiopian people are also become very determined more than ever to take the people power in hands with peace if not with any means necessary. If the International community mainly EU and US are not coming with open and clear idea taking the people's side rather than few cadres (TPLF) who became rulers after committing many crimes creating civil war for more than 17 years, the consequences going to be very regrettable.
EU and US have to understand that Meles regime in Ethiopia will never survive even for a year if any one imposing them over the weak people illegally to rule with hunger, diseases and crime as they did for the last 14 years. What EU also has to understand is that what these few cadres are saying or doing under the cover of the Ethiopian people, was/is/will not represent the people voice or idea but their desperate move to stay in power. If today has to be held a free and fair election without intimidation, harassment, killing and other unfair games and with the international observers present at all election polls, TPLF (EPRDF) will get no vote to win even a single polling station. In the May election the opposition parties have won at all polling stations where international observers were present. The ruling party has won none at any pooling station where the international observers were present. The reason was that the people were not frightened and forced to vote the rulers. The vote in towns and cities was free and fair. That is why the oppositions have won all cities and towns in the country. Yet the ruling elite is saying that they have won in the rural area where more than 50% of the rural population is illiterate and have no idea about politics. Despite there were harassment, killing, intimidation, huge vote rigging and the likes in the rural area and the international observers also were not present almost in all rural area polling stations, the rural Ethiopians have rejected the ruling elite with ballot box because of the living condition the rural area has is at the worst level in the country history. They even have no right to have their own land. The govt uses land to kneel the rural population under its dictatorial rule while killing them with poverty, hunger and diseases. This govt has done nothing to the rural population. So, it is a big lie as usual when the govt says that it has won the election in rural Ethiopia. The heart and mind to the African (Ethiopian) politic is laying in towns and cities where the better-educated people are living. When the 4-5 million Addis Ababan’s and all cities and towns in the country overwhelmingly rejected the ruling elites, there is no other explanation but just concluding and accepting the oppositions win the country election.

Again we have to say to EU and US that the Ethiopian people have nothing to do what Meles and his propaganda minister Bereket Simon are saying and doing in the name of Ethiopia. Bereket Simon has loosed the election despite he is right now using other means to get in through back doors as some other defeated Ministers and high officials are doing with Meles Zenawi decision. Meles has won the election because of he was the only candidate while the oppositions candidates were not allowed to take part. So, these two criminals are not representing the Ethiopian people. The Ethiopian people have long and mutual relationship with Europe and US for many years. Our relationship has more than thousand years of history. Even 500 years a go around 9000 Portuguese gave their life to the Ethiopian Christians fighting side by side with them against the Ottoman Empire that was brutally campaigning to make Ethiopia an Islamic nation. Thanks to Portuguese (Europe) the Ottomans were defeated and thousands Portuguese remind in Ethiopia as we are witnessing their mixed decedents today in Gojjam, Gonder and Wollo as the true Ethiopians. So, the Ethiopian people see Ana Gomez (EU) as the present Ethiopian saviour at the time when the Arabs are looking every opportunity to divide the country in order to spread Islam among the Ethiopian Christian population and to control the blue Nile which is 86% in normal season and 95% in flood season the water in Egypt comes from. So, the Ethiopian people love Ana Gomes for her courage standing with the truth. She will be considered as a mother who helped Democracy to be born in Ethiopia in order the main victims in the country(women and their children) be able to have better life. As a woman she is the most responsible ti human life that is falling to death in Ethiopian ate the moment because of leadership failure. The Ethiopian people also have very much respect to EU and US that are helping the Ethiopian people to feed while the so called their govt making them to starve.
The Ethiopian people also have hope in EU to continue standing with the truth concerning Ethiopia and looking forward to work together and fighting the Islamic terrorism that is looking the area to become its breeding place. EU has to understand that the Meles era in Ethiopia is completely over. It became the most painful past to all Ethiopians. Meles one more day in Ethiopia means, many days’ pain and suffering among the population.

Email: Gimma@hotmail.com

I can't help but be surprised by the arrogant behavior of Meles to defend his party's well orchestrated daylight robbery of June 15 election by throwing his own garbage on to the neutral EU observer leader. It's not only this election but the so-called the previous two others were also marred by fraud and robbery. One cannot specially forget the first election which demanded a registration identity from voters to be other than Ethiopian - voters who identified themselves as Ethiopians other than their ethnic linage were barred from voting. This is a fact Meles and his cronies will not deny. Now after washing their eyes with salt, they are telling us that they have won the majority of Ethiopians in their side in this third election. After expelling the three US funded observers and denying the local civic organizations from observing, they are telling us now that they've gone the extra mile to invite some observers only to label their preliminary report as biased and one sided. After poisoning the election process with their ill intentioned structure of the NEBE and the judiciary, they're trying to tell us that the election was free and fair. The stark truth is that they imposed the state of emergency and banned demonstrations against the constitution they pretend to protect only to create an environment for robbery and come up with a figure which was announced by Bereket immediately after the election but before the end of counting the votes. In the process over 42 innocent Ethiopians were gunned down by snipers and over 4000 other Ethiopians were jailed in the pretext of protecting the nation. It's alarming to find nobody in the midst of TPLF to challenge the sinister actions of the trio, Meles, Bereket, and Kemal that have taken this rotten path of corruption to destabilized Ethiopia. Fortunately it has become a blessing in disguise that all peace loving Ethiopians both at home and in the Diaspora are joining hands in unison than ever before and they are going to be the force to be reckoned with.

City: San Jose

YM aka Yemeserach Mulualem,

It is not arrogance it is called dead cat bouncing. He is trying to show his invincibility to hide his desparation and sense of lose. He is asking himself three questions:

1. "How in the hell did I fell from being the poster child of Europe and America to where I am today?" and

2. "How in the hell did I allow Beyene Petros from being a managed/controlled Opposition to where he is now?

3. "How in the world am I going to convince the world that I am alive and kicking?"

Ankasa Doro

If the PM believes that his party won the May election, then the party will win again if a new election is going to take place. It should be clear to the ruling party that the majority of the people are going to vote for EPRDF, and all the required institutions are in place to take care of any election irregularities that might affect the outcome. Why is then "unacceptable" for the ruling party to have a new election? If the concern is money to hold another round of election within a short time, then the donors can be easily approached for help. Otherwise the PM personally agreed to have a new election on his interview with the host of BBC's Hardtalk show, and infact, this is a good opportunity for EPRDF to show its true commitment for democracy and willingness to resolve the impasse with a peaceful means. This would save the country from a possible chaos, it is going to be history, and it will boost EPRDF's stature both nationally and internationally. Why fear of a new election then?

Your Excellency Mrs. Anna Gomez first please allows me to present to you my deepest sincere apology that you deserve from Ethiopian people. Even though the unfounded vulgar without merit comments addressed toward you came from the so called Ethiopian PM, we feel obligated to owe you an apology. You are first hand witness that these groups who rule the country by force and subjugation are not from the people and for the people. The May election showed only that fact. The peoples of Ethiopia love you because of your sincere unbiased preliminary report. Your high standard report showed your high standard international personality; unlike many others who sold the PEOPLE and align themselves with one of the most murderous tyrant of our time. Your determination have a far reaching exemplary action how any diplomat should disinterestedly act to empower peoples to get rid of their blood thirsty rulers the like of Mr. Melesse Zenawe. You doing a great job Madame, you have 100% the Ethiopian peoples support, keep it up.
Melesse Zenawe, for the last fourteen years succeeded to hide behind the metal curtain the most dramatic people's unrest that he was the author himself by introducing the venomous ethnicity divisiveness. In the world at large he successfully won the attribute as the most articulate and progressive African leader. "African beacon" the mentions we Ethiopians red with lots of heartache; its sad that this phony guy succeeded to get the favor of the most respected and cherished leader of our time PM Tony Blair. Any way 70 million poor Ethiopians suffered for the last +30 years on the hand of two dictators and will suffer the consequence for years to come. Why Mrs. Anna Gomez?!.. Because Madame, I believe too many Ambassadors and Diplomats out there in this world ignore their fundamental responsibility. Dishonesty and corruption is the 21st century diseases that need potion or vaccine. We need many like you Madame who stand firm against injustice.
Apropos Mr. Melesse Zenawe the World should know this "fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me"

Leggese Zenawi (aka Meles) is a shame! I beg Ana Gomez and other "readers" of his vulgar messages not to judge us using him as a yard stick. He can only serve as an example for some insignificant fringe group of "worobela". Leave alone Ethiopia, you can be sure that his behavior is not typical of his kebele in Adwa.

What a disgrace!

Email: addisumaferia@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

the so called prime minister!

GO TO HELL!!

I can't wait to see you go to jail for everything you done.

I hope GOD will give you the prise for all your bad deeds.

Email: dadidan@yahoo.com

He called the young ethiopians ADEGEGNA BOZENE. But, looking what he is doing implies that he himself is ADEGEGNA BOZENE.

Email: tazabi@yahoo.com

Today marks the further consolidation of Meles Zenawi's twisted agricultural development policy based on callous exploitation of the most impoverished farmers in the world. As Yara crowns Meles as the man behind one Africa's successful Green Revolutions, millions of Ethiopian peasants ca be sure their days of forced fertiliser consumption at a price dictated on them by government departments are far from over.

Millions die under the crushing burden of fertiliser credit as Meles personally reaps the reward of his sickening association with the richest in the world.

Death to the rotting corrupt dictator !!

City: Addis

Living and struggeling are diametrically opposite features of the life.He is struggeling so that we proud of him.He abled to disprove biased conclusions of the observers.All you have a right to pass in the same pave.Please let's discuse an idea rather than personality.

Email: teteka_2003@yahoo.com

u big lier

helo mr"pm minister" i rather call u mr lier
wht i dont understand is u accepted what is good for your party&reject the other.is it because u dont know the amharic saing"lijin kewodedu iske niftu new"
i regrate the times i was your fun not long ago

Email: eyobmessafint@yahoo.com

City: addis ababa

Eyob,

You are not the only one abandoning the prime minister. many thought that he was a democratic person. We are all seeing through his lies and deceptions now. Who would have thought that the same person who supposedly went to the mountain to liberate his people would turn around and order the murder of his own citizens.

The murderer has been rejected on all forums, both nationally and internationally.

Sentayen Zendero

The time is coming, it dose not matter if you feel protected powerful, it dose matter how merciless you become how much opperession you extend I guarantee you, meles..your time has come and the end is enavitable ...it is irreversable course of history do not make it worest than it is ...Hitelr has fallen derg has fallen,Haileselasie has fallen and all the Afrcan buggers have failed.

Mark my word

Dergue had got a chance to govern Ethiopia let alone Meless.It is my feeling,we Ethiopians are lucky enough to have such a tough prime minister.As a single citizen I have a right to believe so.I hope there are millions who share my feeling.You see I was not in any doubt what he going to do with the priz of yara.All above I proud of the decision he made.He cnvinced as that he is living for others.I hope we will have a golden opportunity to change since he is in power.
God bless him and our nation!!!

Email: ababi62@yahoo.com