Author
Comment
The complete collapse of trust in the state media

A lesson from Addis
02 September 2005
Franz Kruger

http://www.journalism.co.za/modules.php?op=modload&name=
News&file=article&sid=2879

So this man walks into a shop in Addis Ababa, carrying a TV set. It's one of those new flat-screen one – smart, expensive. He swings the set onto the counter, and says to the shop assistant: "I'd like to trade this TV in for a copy of today's newspaper."

On a recent visit to Ethiopia, I came across this joke again and again: in conversations; as a cartoon in one of the country's many private newspapers; retold by a laughing taxi driver. It neatly captured the complete collapse of credibility of the state-owned media.

The experience of the Ethiopian media during the recent political crisis provide a stark illustration of what happens to journalism in transitional societies, and underlines the importance of some basic principles of ethics, taken too much for granted elsewhere.

The country's politics are very tense. I arrived about a month after the May 15 election, but there were still no clear results. Early indications were that the ruling Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Party (EPRDF) had done very badly. Available results showed that the capital, Addis Ababa, and other urban areas had turned decisively against the party, which has ruled the country since it overthrew a military junta – the Dergue – in 1991.

It was a dramatic turnaround for the opposition, which captured only a handful of seats in the previous election. But they believed they had won an outright majority, and have alleged massive cheating by the EPRDF.

The ruling party in turn, accused the opposition of cheating. Finalising the results was a painfully slow process: the institutions are not strong and distrust runs very deep. It took until early August for the EPRDF to be declared the winner, and even now, the opposition is convinced it was cheated.

The tension has spilled over into violence. In early June, a demonstration in Addis turned to stone-throwing. Police opened fire, and many people died. The government has admitted 30 dead, but the country's independent Human Rights Council says it has identified 40 victims.

In its 14 years of rule, the EPRDF government has to its credit allowed much more space for democracy than its predecessors. There's been an explosion of private newspapers, and even some movement towards allowing private broadcasting. During the election campaign, state television aired vigorous debates between government and opposition.

But when it became clear that large parts of the electorate had turned against the government, state media pulled back sharply, and there's been a crackdown on the private media.

The local correspondents of the Voice of America and Deutsche Welle, whose broadcasts in the Amharic language are hugely popular, have had their accreditation withdrawn, and several editors have been arrested. One has been sent to jail for refusing to name a source.

The media landscape is extremely polarised. After a brief thaw during the election campaign, state media are again tightly controlled. One journalist told the story of how he was called in by the Minister of Information and told off for reporting the views of an NGO that was critical of a proposed law. An editor at Ethiopian TV said candidly: "The head of the organisation never allows balanced reports. Positive stories about strong opposition parties are destined to (end in) waste baskets."

On the other hand, some 80 private newspapers jostle for attention. Mostly published in Amharic, they lack skills and money, and most outbid each other in the virulence of their opposition to the government. As a result, government departments are often hostile to their reporters. Also, audiences have turned strongly against the government, and so the papers make little attempt at covering official views fairly.

A senior reporter for one private newspaper said: "Because of the fact that many officials and organisations are not willing to talk to us we often publish unbalanced stories. The other factor of course is our target readers don't like balanced stories. So because of market influence we publish one-sided stories."

But they are very popular. Crowds assemble on Addis streets to read newspapers that are pinned up on corner noticeboards.

According to Fortune, a business paper that publishes in English, printing orders skyrocketed since the start of the crisis. Some newspapers increased their print orders from 3000 to 50 000, and printers in Addis ran out of capacity. Several printing works capped the print runs they were prepared to undertake. Additional paper had to be ordered from abroad.

It's not just the publishers that are benefiting. Bahiru Mohammed, a 19-year-old newspaper vendor, told Fortune he was selling newspapers at 50c more than the cover price, and his profit is almost double what it usually is.

By contrast, the government's English-language Addis Tribune has gone into decline. With its reports of ministers handing over seedlings to grateful farmers and ponderous editorial comment, it's hardly to be found on sale. You'll find it in government offices, though: bulk order seem to do much to keep its circulation alive.

So what's the lesson from Addis? It's simple, really. For one thing, the huge interest in the private media show how staggeringly important news media are at a time of crisis. Of course, these media remain a mainly urban phenomenon in this overwhelmingly rural country. Some 80% of the country's people live in the countryside, where even state radio has incomplete reach.

I arrived a few days after the shooting incident, and asked a taxi driver about it. He said the news reports were that around 24 people – the known figure at the time – had been killed. But, he added, the real figure was obviously much higher, since the reports could not be trusted.

Where the credibility of the news media is undermined, rumour flourishes. And at times of crisis, credibility is hard to safeguard, and very precious. The collapse of trust in the country's state media was ruinous for them – people simply stopped reading or watching.

The heavy-handed state control also caused considerable discomfort to the journalists working there. I had several of them in the journalism ethics class I was teaching at Addis Ababa University, and it was clear that they felt unhappy and deeply compromised by the tight controls being exercised over their work. Few issues excited as much interest as the question of independence, and how it could be achieved.

The tragedy of the Ethiopian media is that the private media are not strong either – their credibility is also patchy. It's a poor country, and there's not much money to sustain the media.

One day as I was waiting for some paperwork, a friendly information department official engaged me in a long discussion about some of these issues. He supported media freedom, he said, but seemed to be genuinely grappling with the problem of what to do when news reports deepen tensions that can cause real damage. It is, of course, the argument repressive governments have used time and again when defending measures against the media.

But even in my class at the university, it was clear that several students felt there were things that were so explosive that they needed to be treated with great care. One was the reporting of ethnic issues. This country of complex and sometimes conflicting ethnicities could fall apart, some argued, there could even be genocide like in Rwanda.

The media in other countries, too, have on occasion swung behind a "national interest". In World War II Britain, the media clearly backed the war effort. When South Africa was negotiating its way out of apartheid amid great uncertainty and considerable violence, a newspaper editor wrote: "Primarily, in our country, we must be passionately in favour of peace. Without peace we have nothing in our country; with it we have a chance. The public interest is served by peace and if it comes to a decision between peace (and) publication of certain material then peace must come first."

It is a debate that arises powerfully in transitional societies, in new democracies across Africa and elsewhere.

But situations where the survival of the society is at stake are very rare, and hard to identify with certainty. In the Ethiopian case, fears of collapse are probably overstated.

The media's bigger contribution to stability in such countries is unstinting support for the democratic project. Because media and democracy are so profoundly interdependent, this is one cause we should be deeply partisan about.

Journalists do this best by reporting clearly, accurately and fully, so that citizens have good information with which to exercise, and insist on, their rights. In most cases, the short term pain of unpleasant truths is heavily outweighed by the long term gain of an empowered citizenry.

The media also help by pushing political players back onto the field when they are tempted to stray. In countries finding a way out of violence, the notion of carrying out political conflicts in a structured, peaceful way is new; the rules are unfamiliar, and it is easy for losers to cry foul – as the Ethiopian opposition did, perhaps with some reason.

But newspapers like Addis Fortune consistently argued for the disputes about electoral fraud to be carried out within the frameworks agreed.

Being a journalist in a transitional society like Ethiopia is not easy. Resources are few, there's not much of a living in it, and you face hostility from the authorities. At the same time, the ethical choices are particularly tough, and the consequences of doing a good, or a bad, job can be far-reaching.

This article comes from journalism.co.za
http://www.journalism.co.za/modules.php?op=
modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2879

Re: The complete collapse of trust in the state media

nice article,but addis tribune is not a gov. it is herald.by the way you mentioned fortune the pro-gov weekly you better ask for other people because they have been attacking the free press on woyane radio fana as if the state media is better than the free press. Any way many thanks to you.

City: Addis

Tamru,

Have you read the article in full. It criticizes both the government and the private media. It underscores the need for a balanced news. The author believes neither the private news papers nor the government media are capable of that.

He is also against promoting hate and violence, which is the routine task of most private news papers in Addis.(prara. 13)I am shocked by your critics on fortune.Why are attacking every body that tries to have a different opinion from you.

The author has pointed thatthe losers might have cried foul with no real case because the people may not be familar with the rules the game.(third para.from last.)

Well, don't sigle out paragraphs that you like and ommit others.

If I were you, I would thank the author not because he blamed the government media but because he tried to show us how balanced media is vital for our democratization. I believe all journalists will learn a lot from this article.

Email: Alemayehu_05@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

The complete collapse is not only in the state media. All the state owned governmenat institutions such as judiciary, police, security, election board etc. are not trusted by the poeple.

It is always sad to hear about Ethiopia. The country is not a lucky one just from one uncertainity entering to another uncertainity. From one big junta to another big junta. O my God!

Email: kuratekere@yahoo.com

City: Ambo

The complete collapse of trust in the state media

A nice article but slightly biased in a sense the oppositions victory in ammassing a wide parliamentary seats is not a bonanza like you want it portrayed. The current regime did never had popular vote from the outset. The difference with this election is, there were slight opportunities for the opposition to ramify thier theories and programs and divulge the ramshackles of EPRDF's failed policy in every aspect. If the previous two elections had been as slightly open as this one, no doubt any party leave alone the opposition can clinch a great majority in the parliament. Those two previous elections were by far manipulated comparde to this one.

But this time around the electorate was so sharp and astute that they couldn't be cheated by the EPRDF's cadres and the who;e process led to the total failure of EPRDF and exposed the evils of the regime which had long been burried for the western world to see or at least to believe.

Email: aggune@yahoo.com

I support the general message of the article. However, the author seems to have stopped short of a "suggested solution". Along with the question of NEB, security forces and the judiciary, this is at the core of democratiztion in our country.

We need to transform the "government media" (alias for EPRDF media) to real "state media"; i.e. they would serve the national interest regardless of which party is in power. If this happens, private media will be forced to do balanced and high qulity journalistice work (otherwise, the cruel market will wipe them away from the streets and cafes)

Thanks Franz Kruger!

Email: addisumaferia@yahoo.com

Gebreselassie Zemariam,

Why are you posting empty messages. This is the last warning. Do not abuse this forum. I am going to get you banned. I like to zip you and zap you when you are down and out. I told you I play smart, I play dirty and I get what I want.

Mamo Qilo

Dear Frank:

Frankly speaking, your article covers broadly the current situation that the private newspapers are operating, in spite of all the adversaries, and the muzzling laws and oppressive state machineries. In a country such as Ethiopia where by the state owned media had and has been failed to be impartial and being used for the sole purpose of spreading one party’s propaganda, as you rightly assess it leaves a big void that has to be filled, such role has been played by the private newspapers so as to air the opposition stands and communiqués.

With out these Private newspapers, VOA and Deutsche Welle, I will leave it for your imagination that how would the opposition communicate with the people that they represent? As you might aware of the State is in such a mode not only to shut the ones, which are operating within the boundary of Ethiopia but also those operating in the free world, it suffice to mention the charge against “TENSAE Radio” internet section.

Articles such as yours are a breath of fresh air that paint the true colour of this oppressive government, it will show vividly the fact that it doesn’t practice what it is preaching or advocating as a champion of democracy for the west!!!!!!!!!

Email: hassabu_1@yahoo.co.uk

Let me tell you one thing: westerners dont hesistate to boldly talk when they dont know the fact on the ground. It could have been better to study the facts deeper. Why does the guy call Addis Tribune government owned? This shows his scanty knowledge about what he is talking.

How can he dare to call the opposition cry foul. Does he really know the opposition is the saviour of Ethiopians who they trust next to God? I am sorry for him.

He also is very careful not to offend the TPLF, an ally of the West. This guy is from a University, thus, he should have been free of biase. Most intelligentia are supposed to be so. He is not. He wants to please TPLF just by ignoring the massive human rights violations in the name of being Third World, underestimating us that we are not ready for it yet. We have proved it we are up to it during demonstrations before voting day and on the demonstration day. What we lack is an Ethiopian Government. What we have now is an Eritrean Government sitting up on us by the gun.

According to the West we have not finished our evolution to be fulfledged humanoids. If people get killed by Agaazi Interhamwe, they dont question because we are Third World. What a non-sense. So what is this guy doing? What would he have done if it were the Dergue? He would have barked foul right away. When it comes to the tribal junta, he just walks on the periphery of the huge fact, so careful not to say anything that is offensive to aparthied oppressors. He did not even touch the idea of tribal federalism which is crime against humanity the wold over. He looks to endorse the fascist Albanian communist junta.

He is supposed to be independent. He should have expressed his ideas freely? Unless he has Ethiopian citizenry which I doubt. If he is an Ethiopian, TPLF knows what to do with him.

This applies to all people in the West including officials. They talk what they do not know. I am sorry for all of them. Better keep quiet until you get some knowledge. best example is Jimmy Carter. He was speaking about the process he did not know. Makes great damage. Just because they are rich, they say whatever wrong comes to their mouth. Sorry.

Email: abathun@yahoo.com

City: BD