Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
State-sponsored violence in the offing

August 31, 2005

The Ethiopian version of the Rwandan Hutu extremist, the TPLF/EPRDF and its puppet ethnic parties from other regions, have been preparing for a genocide for quite a long time. The trouble is, so far the majority of Ethiopians have not been ready to imagine an atrocity of that magnitude could ever be perpetrated by the regime in power. However, the trend indicates towards that direction.

Two of the most senior ideologues of TPLF, Bereket Simon and Addisu Leggese, took Ethiopians by surprise when they introduced the term Interahamwe to the audience on the televised election debates, back in March-April 2005. One wouldn’t stop wondering why the TPLF mastered the history of Rwanda with such a precision. The opposition and the wider audience were confused because just a few even among educated citizens came across that term until that moment. The opposition completely missed out where the TPLFites were coming from. It looked like the Ethiopian version of the Hutus were very much submerged into the study of Rwanda, probably infatuated with the style of massacre of the 800,000 Tutsis in a span of 100 days. They wanted to indirectly hint to the people that they wouldn’t hesitate to apply that method to exterminate a certain group of Ethiopians, if they were not allowed to stay in power. That was the reason behind the introduction of Interahamwe to the televised debate. Later it became clearer that Interahamwe (meaning those who attack together) are Hutu Militias, just like the Agaazies of TPLF. Many did not know where the term fitted when the TPLF top guns started using it against the opposition. There was no parameter that matches Hutu extremists to the opposition. Like the Hutu extremists, it is the Meles’s gang and their Agaazies that fitted the description of Interahamwe. Like the Tutsis, the majority remained in the opposition. It is Meles and his ethnically identifiable group that is armed to the teeth like the Interahamwe, while the opposition was unarmed and leading a democratic and peaceful struggle.

Like the Interahamwe, it is the Agaazies of the TPLF that were trained to kill in mass certain ethnic groups and not the opposition that had no militia of its own. Where did the term Interahamwe fit in reference to the opposition unless every one misread the intentions of the regime? The formula became clearer only when the regime unleashed its reign of terror against the citizens of Addis Ababa after losing the election. All along, the regime was saying between the lines that they could be as ruthless as the extremist Hutus, to unleash their version of Interahamwe if threatened to be ousted from power by the ballot. The message did not strike the cord at once. What TPLF was trying to tell us was if Ethiopians did not accept what the TPLF was saying, the Rwandan history would repeat itself in Ethiopia. What was not clear was who was going to repeat it. Therefore, to widen the spectrum of the thinking mind, they introduced Interahamwe, Rwandan History 101. The opposition still misread the message.

During the election campaign a very diabolic leaflet was distributed in Addis Ababa, using CUD letterhead and calling the citizens to massacre every Tigre in the neighborhood. People quickly woke up to the sinister ploy of spreading fear by those hate mongers in power. Our Tigre brothers and sisters were the first to revoke the message. It should not be from their neighbors that they should beware of but the real murderers in power. Such cheap campaign backfired on TPLF. Addis Ababa citizens of Tigrai origin predominantly elected the CUD and swept the perpetrators off their feet.

The signs became more evident in Addis Ababa, only after the massacre of 42 people, the wounding of hundreds and imprisonment of thousands in a span of few hours. Had it not been for the cleverness of the opposition, not 800,000 in 100 days like the Tutsis, but millions of lives could have perished in few days. It is interesting to imagine, if the regime’s militia could kill and wound so many innocent people without any threat to their members’ lives, how many would our own version of Hutu extremists could kill if shot at like the Dergue?

Tefera Walwa, the Minister of Capacity Building (read it as Capacity Dismantling) and Bereket Simon (Mebrahatu Gebrehiwot) the Minister of Information (read as the Minister of Disinformation) have proved beyond reasonable doubt that they are the regime’s vocal advocates of Interahamwe, busy building up for the genocide. No doubt, the regime of Meles Zeanwi is preparing itself to an all out extermination of two certain ethnic groups in Ethiopia, to start with. The rest would follow turn by turn.

Genocide is defined as:

“An attempt to destroy a national, ethnic, racial or religious group. International law defines the crime as comprising all or some of the following elements: killing, causing serious bodily or mental harm, deliberately inflicting conditions calculated to bring about a group's destruction, imposing measures to prevent births within a group and forcibly transferring children from the group. The concept applies in times of peace as well as war. It also includes conspiracy to commit genocide, public incitement to commit genocide and complicity in genocide. If committed in time of war, genocide is a war crime” (Source: www.disasterrelief.org/Library/Dictionary/index_txt.html)
Addis Zena, an Amharic newspaper of 17 Hamle 1997 (24 July 2005) carried a chilling report, quoting Bereket Simon (a.k.a Mebrahatu Gebrehiwot) and Tefera Walwa at a public gathering in Awasa, Southern Ethiopia. Mr Bereket Simon was outrageously insulting those people whom he thought were behind his downfall in the election 2005. He did not hesitate for a minute to call them by name.

Mr Bereket Simon said:

“Amaras are lazy people. These are people who live in poverty but hide the fact and pretend to live in abundance. These are people who walk on barefoot. If you go to Gondar, Gojam and Wollo and ask the people how they live, having nothing even to eat, they would tell you they have everything. This is a culture they inherited from the feudal system.” (Source: http://www.ethioindex.com)
The above statement shows the degree of hatred our version of the Hutu extremists harbor in their hearts against the Amaras. You mind, this was not spoken by an ordinary member of the public but by the Minister of Information. This statement is tantamount to public incitement to commit genocide. Like the Nazis identified the Jewish and the Gypsy communities, the Amaras are now identified and condemned to genocide.

At the same meeting, the Capacity Building Minister, Tefera Walwa also spelt out his venomous haltered against the Amaras and Gurages. He said:

“Beware of Amara Neftegna’s hidden shrewdness. Let me tell you what they had done to us. Without uttering a word, keeping to themselves what they thought about us, they devastated us with their ballot cards. The Amara Neftegna’s are secretive in their tactics. You would never know what they are up to. Therefore, beware of them.” (Ibid)
The above indicates that the TPLF/EPRDF are preparing the people in advance for the inevitable massacre they are planning to carry out on the Amaras. Bother Mr Tefera Walwa and Mr Bereket Simon are encouraging others to attack the Amaras.

On the same day, at the same meeting, Bereket Simon, the Minister of Information told the people, regarding land tunure:

“The EPRDF is studying the impact of policy change on privatizing land. The IMF is twisting our arms. Just to please them, we may allow buying or selling land privately. When we get the power, we can change that back. However, every one should know that if the land is allowed to be bought and sold the Amaras and Gurages would buy all of the land.” (Ibid)
The Minster used every opportunity to bash the two ethnic groups in his Southern Ethiopian tours. The above statement is self contradictory with what the Minister had said earlier. He was saying the people were poor but bluffers. Next he warned the people against the Amaras and Gurages buying all their land. He was blinded by hatred and did not know what he was talking about. It is said that love is blind. Hate is too.

The 18 Nehase 1997 (26 August 2005) Tomar Amharic newspaper came up with another chilling news. This time, the two named top officials were addressing the public at Southern University, and at Tabor Comprehensive High School halls in Dilla, Southern Ethiopia. The attack was again on Amaras and Gurages. The two Ministers openly and unashamedly called the two ethnic groups “neftegna”, meaning gun-bearers, knowing that it is only the EPRDF and its cronies that is armed. These top officials of the hate-mongering regime called upon the people of the Southern Ethiopia to beware of them. In fact the people told them in an equivocal term to stop dividing them. The newspaper quoted Ato Tefera Walwa, the Capacity Building Minster, as saying:

“The Orthodox religion is the hiding cave of the Neftegnas. The Amaras and the Gurages are the people who hide in this religion.” (http://www.ethioindex.com/)
Religious hatred should never have been tolerated at any rate. That is a fuel for genocide. This is just like the Hutu radio calling on the unofficial militia group called the Interahamwe to slaughter the Hutus. The hate propaganda of the Hutus and what Tefera Walwa was preaching were similar in nature. The government in power is preparing for genocide against the Gurages and the Amaras.

Despite the audience’s uproar with disapproval, the Capacity Building Minister went on repeating himself by saying:

“The Orthodox is the hiding place for the Neftegnas. The neftegnas are hiding within the religion and running up and down. Specially the Amaras and the Gurages are well known culprits in this regard.”
The newspaper regarded this reckless speech as an attempt to create strife between the Orthodox and the Protestant faiths followers in the Southern region of Ethiopia.

It doesn’t take a lawyer to know when the law is broken. The statements may look silly at first glance. However, they are not as silly as they look. The people who made those chilling remarks are people in power.

We do not care to know to what ethnic group does Tefera Walwa belong. However, we doubt he is an Amara. We surely know Bereket Simon is of Eritrean parentage. Ironically, however, these two top officials of EPRDF are supposedly representing the Amaras, controlling The Amara National Democratic Movement (ANDM), the tool of EPRDF.

What the two EPRDF ministers said against the Gurages and the Amaras is incitement to mass massacre. Therefore, Ethiopians are urged to make a case out of this and stop these murderers from carrying out their plans to exterminate the Amaras and Gurages. This is genocide in the making. It is not a matter to be ignored. It is the duty of every Ethiopian to alert all international human rights organizations, governments of donor countries and concerned bodies across the globe. Today the campaign is against the Amaras and the Gurages. Next would be the Oromos, for sure. One by one, others would follow to be isolated and annihilated. Ethiopians are at risk.

http://www.ethiomedia.com/fastpress/government_fuels_ethnic_conflict.html

Re: State-sponsored violence in the offing

I think the Amharas and Guraghes are in danger from the utterances of Bereket Simon and Tefera Walwal.All human rights organizations should be made aware of what is going on in Ethiopia before it is too late like what happened in Rwanda.
God save our people.

Email: zghiwet@yahoo.ca

City: York

Thank you Wondimu for the insight.

This satanic shabiya agent(Mebrahatu Gebrehiwot)
(Minister of Disinformation) what was behined his name changing? To pretend as he is ethiopian used the name fake 'Bereket simon'.HELL NO, he is the cursed one. Ethiopia reject you big time.

Tefera Walwa (Capacity Dismantling minister)
He should be humiliated, tarnished.
All Loosers, before the election they were busy harrasing people even handed out money to buy the people's vote and it didn't work at all. Now they are playing the same card. How come this thugs and gungsters don't learn from their own loose?

Their hatred propoganda is rejected by all everywhere they have tried with a huge booh. What is the motive behind these? Do you have to pay students and attendats for these hate propoganda? You are making your departure quick.

This is to Bereket Simon, Meles Zenawi, and all your puppets:

Because you are weak in spirit, moral, and dignity you resort to the most evil means to control people. You are so afraid of ,and you fell so threathened by the Amhara, for no valid reason, that you lie to gang up other ethnic people against the escape goats Amhara and Gurage.

You have created the appartied system by issuing ethnic cards so people could be identified by their ethnic origin. This evil thinking never came from Amhara so, why do you blame Amhara ? Only God knows why you would want the people of Ethiopia identified by ethhnicity. Could it be because you are afraid unless you break them by ethnic lines you would never be able to hold on to power ? This is the # 1 evidence that you don't stand for UNITED AND PROSPEROUS ETHIOPIA. UNITED AND PROSPEROUS ETHIOPIA IS A THREAT TO YOUR BOSS, THE ARAB SLAVE ISAYAS AND YOURSELF, THE EMBODYMENT OF EVIL,TPLF.

UNFORTUNATLEY FOR YOU, THE PEOPLE OF ETHIOPIA KNOW WHEN they see evil, and the evil is you disguised in human flesh. They know the enemy, and thier mortal enemy is you, BEREKET, MELES, & TPLF.

Your wicked plan to destroy Ethiopia, will be cut to pieces by the sword of the Ethiopian people. Your wicked plans to devide the people is not taking root, for the people know better, how unfortunate for you.

Your days are now numbered and we know you might do something stupid before you go down, but you should know, no matter how much gun power you have, even God himself will not save you from what is coming, for what you have done to our country, Ethiopia, is so grave it will not be forgiven !!

Selam Zewdae, Yigermal and Dagmawi Tewdros

When I stumbled across this news, I couldn't believe my eyes. Meles (Legesse), Bereket (Mebrhatu), Aba Dula Gamada (Minase Wolde Girogis), Addisu Legesse and Tefera Walwa, the big time losers, are out of control. They just utter whatever comes to their mind these days.

For us, this should be documented and the international community should be alerted about what Woyyane and its hodaders are up to.

Thank you

Wondimu

Email: wondimu.mekonnen@btinternet.com

City: London

Dagmawi Tewdros needs to go to English school.

Dagmawi Tewodros

Dear friend,

My intention here is not to stand against your believe, but to tell you that there are 10+ errors both in spelling and sentence structure. There are off course gramer error too. What happened to your education?

Gebrelikiskis,

At least he is telling us what he thinks. He doesn't cut & paste like you do.

Don't worry about his english, worry about the 17 million people starving in our country under TPLF rule.

Peace and Love to Ethiopia

City: AA

Gebreselassie,
You got it all wrong again.

Being educated is not evaluated by one's abiltiy to Write/speak english. There are Chinese, Russian, French, or German scientits who do not speak english or write in english at all. Are you saying these people are not educated?

Many years back, I read an arab proverb that goes something like this.

Men are four.

(1) One who knows and knows that he knows is wise - follow him.

(2) One who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep - wake him up.

(3) One who knows not and knows that he knows not is a kid - teach him.

(4) One who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool - shun him.

I repeatedly tried to engage you in meanigful discussions thinking that you might be in category 2 or 3, above. After observing your behavior on this forum for the last so many months, I have come to the conclusion that you, in deed, belong to group 4.

I respect your right to be who you are and I will exercise my right to shun you. Au revoir!

The end is in cite; time to jump ship.

G/Selassie,
You always try to change the subject when someone makes a good point. Who made you our English teacher? I have seen what you have written; you don’t have room to criticize anybody’s grammar. Dagmawi Tewodros has great points and has excellent ability to write in English. It is a fact that Meles is trying to break us by ethnic lines. As an Oromo who is married to an Amhara, I despise people like you. You and your people have been insulting Oromos repeatedly. We have seen what you have done for the last 15 years. Why the love affair all of a sudden? Could it be that you felt lonely while the rest of Ethiopians are fighting the common enemy, Meles? We are aware of what you are doing.

Selam to all,

I read carefully what Dagmawi Tewdros wrote and what the person named "Gebreselassie Zemariame". What Dagmawi wrote made sense than the man who claims to be educated to distinguish good English form the bad. However, he failed to see the central message of Dagmaw.

Well, Meles has got a big problem in his hands. He is a better articulate and controlled than any of his tribalist men in his league. They go and vomit venom that would even take him out. So, he has to go around and try to change subjects that would hit him in the teeth.

We want let Meles or his hodaders would try to deflect the direction of the spear. Today, ethnicity is the regime's policy. Mind you, this is not to find a better way of administering the country. This is their way of dividing and looting. We have racists in power. The Hutus of Ethiopia started calling the people in 1991 to rise up against Amaras. They massacred few. Our people stood on their way and stopped their plan. Then they unleashed their reign of terror on the South. Then followed the massacre of the Oromos. The Gambella Anuaks followed. Now they are calling to rise up another round on Amaras and Gurages. It is not even a hidden agenda. It is an open agenda.

Ignore "Gebreselassie Zemariame". I am distributing the English Translation of speeches of Mr Tefera Walwa and Berekt Simon (Mebrahatu Gebrehiwot) to the international human and trade right movements, including the AI, HRW, ILO, UN and others. Let us take this opportunity and expose the genocide in the making in Ethiopia.

Thank you

Wondimu

Wondimu,

Many, many thank you. Great job.
It's our duty to expose this gangsters with their fake name and their hate propoganda (genocide behind it) to the whole world. Good timing Wondimu.

Their days are numbered. They can't stand the unity of the people, which makes them panick and act brutally/inhumanely that is their only solution.
Before anything they will go down.

To Mina, Visitor, Olano, & Wondmu Mekonnen!

Friends,

First and for most it is my appreciation for your comments regarding correction of English that, I wrote to Dagmawi Teodros. One thing you all need to know is most of us are not perfect enough to address what we want even in our own language let alone in English.

Knowing this, I have never bothered myself about anybody's language untill, I got an insult message from Dagmawi Tewodros. You can look at for yourself and judge. As a result, I decieded to tell me that his fault in English. I think and hope that my reason is justifiable.

Finally, I haven't missed neither his nor yours points you mentioned other than the language matter.

Thank you,

Gebreselassie Zemariame

======================================================

Dagmawi Tewodros to GebreZemariam

Sep 1st, 2005 - 11:27 AM Re: Meles's Desperate letter to the 'The Ethiopian Herald'

You are a most stupid individual. Lik : inde: simih: antem: Likiskis: neh::
We have great suspecion that yoiu might be hired by TPLF to police the internate forums, which your doing a very lousy job of, or you are volunteering your time to your master TPLF to safe guard their names and what they stand for. Well, ante ye Shabia buchila, ye Arab baria, get this: Your masters are standing on the wrong side of the game and are on a messy political quagmire, nothing you can do or say on this forum will save your master TPLF, aka Meles and Co.,.from sinking.
I wrote this to you not to dignify what you post on this forum, but to let you know how stupid you sound. You don't even have the ability to finish a sentence with corret grammer let alone get your point across. . It should not be a surprise to us that yoiu are uneducated and illiterate, you belong to TPLF after all, a group of uneducated, uncultured, poor, mobsters. I hope you understand why the Ethiopian people rejected your masters, as you yourself are rejected here on this forum, it is because you are not capable. I hope you will be able to read and understand what this post says to you.

My goodness !!! all of you hate mongers and never admit realities people. You say that Gebreselassie Zemariam does mean BAD NAME MEANING- you don't know Ethiopia or you want to deny even there Axum never existed if this is told to you by WOYANE LOVERS. you know what Gebre means servant and Selassie means the Holly Trinity and ze means of and Mariam means the Virgin Marry . So where did you get that Gebreselassie zemariam means bad . Oh yes because his name is not Aytenfisu, Setargachew ,Chebudie, ShewanKochew, Damtew, Koratu which in themselves show your forefathers and fathers rules ethiopia by force and ruthlessily.
Don't ever think that this is written by any other ! It 's me in Mekelle and a man ready to fight for equality if you wish to fight !!!!!!!!!!

Selam Betigil1

You said it all, hope they will listen. Thanks!

Selam Betigel,
What has name got to do with making a senseless remark such as "a person who does not write in English perfectly is not educated"?

I careless what one's parents call their son or daughter or one chooses to call himself. It is their and only their prerogative.

I for one do not subscribe to any idea that advocates hatered, and to any idea that asserts some are more equal than others.

What are you trying to imply by saying it is you from Mekele? Do you expect us to cower when we hear it is you, especially you from Mekele? Do you subscribe to the silly notion Meles is trying to sell to the people of Tigray: you are the best and the rest have to bow to you? Who the hell cares about where you are from? This is a forum to discuss ideas not to spit venomous hate messages.

You guys (Meles and Co.) better learn from the so called Eritrean leaders! Superiority complex, which by the way emantes from inferiority complex, has not taken Issayas and Co. anywhere;and it won't do any good to Meles and CO. either.

You guys are trying your level best to stick an ethnic tag to the struggle of the Ethiopian people to get their voices/wills respected. Unfortunately for you, it is not working.

The end is near; time to jump ship.

I have something for Woyyanes traitors and murderers to say this:

First, we are not hate mongers. You are. Prove - you have just spelt out that Amaras and Gurges are bad people.

We are not racists, you are. Prove - You have divided our country along ethnic lines and promoting one thnic chauvinism over the other.

We are not killers, you are. Prove - you murdered innocent blood in Arba Gugu, Bedeno, Water, Gimbi, Gambella and many place. You killed 12 students in 1991. You murdered 42 people in 2001. Your hands are red in blood after you murdered 42 people just on June 2005. Murderers!

We are not traitors you are. Prove - You left Ethiopia land locked after betraying the national interest of Ethiopia and selling away her natural ports. You fought Ethiopia along side her enemies, the Sha'biyya. You are traitors that history will never forgive you.

Now, as why you thought we hate you, traitors, here is a poem.

Woyyane iTelalehu
Sha'biyyam alwedim
ganEn ymeslugNal
yesaTnael wondim

I hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks