Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PM meles to Ana Gobezè (ana gome`z)

Already, theories of how the good lady's antipathies have led to the issuing of such a statement have cropped up. I can only hope that that is all there is to it. What cannot be denied is that in a certain sense we may have been lucky. If the election report must be used as an instrument of blackmail, as a weapon to impose "recommendations" on the host government, and massaged accordingly, it is very helpful that such observation missions be headed by some amateurs in that art, as the good lady clearly was. This is so because amateurs would doctor the report in such a clumsy fashion that it becomes relatively easy to pick it apart.

The main question facing us Ethiopians, is where do we go from here? Whenever I am faced with difficult challenges, challenges that could potentially be of existential significance, the first question I ask is what would the average Ethiopian peasant do under such circumstances? I ask this question not for sentimental reasons but because I know of no other Ethiopians who are better masters of the art of overcoming existential challenges. Murderous foreign and local wars have taken place in this country. The peasant bore the brunt of each one of them, but always came out on top. Governments of all colours have come and gone, the hardy old peasant has outlived them all. Horrific famines of biblical proportions have come and gone, the peasant has survived them all. Hence, there is no greater sage to consult on such matters. So once again what would your average Ethiopian peasant do? Having lived with him/her for some 17 years I think I know.

The peasant hates injustice like no other abomination. You can therefore bet your life that plan A of the peasant in such circumstances would be to fight the injustice tooth and nail, with no holds barred, with the view to correcting the injustices. But your average peasant would not be the sage of facing existential challenges if he/she only had one plan. Again you can bet your life that there would at least be a plan B just in case the perpetrator of the injustice was able to get away with murder.

Plan B would start with strengthening the peasants fortress, his/her homestead, so that it can withstand the possible temper tantrums of the spurned perpetrator of the injustice. Having done that, the peasant would plan to treat his/her tormentor with the disdain and contempt he/she deserves and move on with his/her eternal struggle to keep body and soul together. I believe we can do no less or no better than that. As our brothers the Southern African freedom fighters used to say, in Portuguese, La Lutta Continua! the struggle for a prosperous and democratic Ethiopia must and will go on despite the challenges. We in the EPRDF have faced off many more serious challenges. We must face this one with the same unflinching commitment to principles and justice. We cannot and must not falter in the face of this or other, even more formidable challenges in the future.

Re: PM meles to Ana Gobezè (ana gome`z)

Dear Meles,

I have a real doubt as to whether you have fully read the report of EU-EOM. Well, you may say that you have read it, but I say you have skimmed through the report. One could 100% be sure that you did not at all get the point of the report, or have purposely manipulated it to confuse people. You have clearly missed the whole point. I thought you were brave, brilliant, etc., however, I see that you definitly have misinterpretted the report. Or, is this one of your silly games? Who are you trying to fool here, the EU, the international community, the people of Ethiopia, or members of the EPRDF?

I recommend you better stop the game you started playing, as you will not win at all. The EU preliminary report is just backing up the whole situation in Ethiopia, but not the only one to reveal that no democracy exists in Ethiopia. People are well aware of what EPRDF is up to, and are willing to give up their lives for freedom and democracy. It is time for you and your colleagues to start to think twice, and if at all possible, derive a better strategy which should have a positive impact for Ethiopia. You, of all people, know very well that EPRDF has lost the game during the election. You promised the people of Ethiopia that there will be a free and fair election? People used the opportunity, but their votes were stolen. All your big party allies lost the election, and EPRDF claimed a re-election to have them elected, and successfully committed a crime against the people of Ethiopia. Is this what you call fair and free?

Meles, for once in your life, do something right for Ethiopia, and have your name written in everyone's mind. If the situation goes the way it is going now, you and your allies will have no positive future, wherever you may go. People of Ethiopia have and are saying: "ENOUGH"!! and ENOUGH means ENOUGH. And for God's sake, stop your lies on the papers and on this stubborn ETV. You are committing double crimes. Better keep quiet, than adding up to your lies. And be careful who you mess up with. After all, you are the one who has invited the EU to observe the elections, and should obey them. You have the possibility not accept the reports, however true they are, but you should cut back on your negative statements. By the way, were you expecting to hear the same words as the ones told by yourself and your allies? Did you think that all your deeds would be hidden and the reports by EU would have a backing for EPRDF? In that case, this is called a wishful thinking.

You see, this is a good opportunity for you to be in the shoes of the oppositions. Had the report been in favour of EPRDF, everybody would have been able to guess what sorts of words you may have used. The truth might take time, but would clear itself out, no matter how long it takes. This is just the beginning. Worse will follow, unless you take a brake. So watch out!!!

PS. Read the report carefully, and who knows, you may finally perceive the real meaning. In case you do not have time, the summary of the EU-EOM report is, the way I see it, diplomatically confirmirming to the world community that no democratic election took place in most places of Ethiopia. EPRDF has made sure that no other party gets a chance. EPRDF has also made clear that there is no way that it is peacefully giving up power. EPRDF is imposing its power on the people against the will of the people, via various mechanisms.

Email: chuchuvip@yahoo.com

City: New York