Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Herman Cohen says aid to Ethiopia should be suspended

August 31, 2005
The Reporter

Herman Cohen says aid to Ethiopia should be suspended

By a Staff Reporter

The Ethiopian government should be suspended from the list of governments receiving aid because "the whole electoral process was marred by serious irregularities and fraud," Herman Cohen said. Undersecretary of State for Africa during the George Bush senior administration, Cohen told the Voice of America (VOA) that he thought the May 15 elections were not fair and free. "Even if there were frauds, the oppositions managed to secure 40% of the parliament seats," he stated. "I have the belief that the ruling party in no way wants or allows the opposition to control 40% of the parliament seats," he added. When asked about what he would have advised the US president on the situation, he said that he would tell the president that those countries benefiting from officials development assistance should be the ones performing well in human rights, democracy and economic reform. "I will tell him to suspend aid to the Ethiopian government," he added.

Re: Herman Cohen says aid to Ethiopia should be suspended

Apparently the US government must know that Meles was abusing the aid money. Probably the money that was intended for poor people was used to buy weapons for his own private army. Meles should be investigated for chemical weapons and other kinds of weapons. I remember reading something about Meles was stashing weapons some where in Mekelae. I see his world is coming down slowly but surely. Praise the Lord.

Eevn Herman Chohen, Meles's God father seems to distance himself from Meles. Meles, you have one choice, to go down as Mengistu and Bokasa and Amin. Or to be a part of the positive change by allowing the just exercised democratic process run its course.

Ankas Doro

Glad to hear this wonderful story from Herman Cohen. I hope he means it. All of us in the diaspora want to contribute to our country. We want to go back. But WE HAVE TO SEE MELES OUT FIRST.

Email: lalibela@yahoo.com

City: AA

Mr.Cohen,
USA and UK put him in power by ordering the Ethiopian Army to lay down its arms.You should do the same to Meles.

Email: zghiwet@yahoo.ca

City: York