Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Post Election Follies

Please excuse my blunt expressions; follies of post election politics seem to be everywhere. A few weeks ago, Anna Gomez election report blasted the ruling party for lack of transparency and due process in addressing election complaints duly registered for NEB investigations. Her preliminary report did not yet dispute EPRDF’s claim of winning majority seats. The “burger humping” crowd called for celebrations although there was nothing new in the report to change the existing political balance.

And then the “juicy” part: beneath the harsh language, Ms. Gomez handed the victory to the ruling party. Instead of capitalizing on what was handed to it, EPRDF reduced itself into all kinds of off-the-wall rationalization of the substance of the report. Bizarre as it seems, a few days before the release of EU report, the state owned daily, Herald, implied that Anna Gomez may benefit financially through some kind of cash inducement in exchange for sympathetic reports to the oppositions. The mystery deepens when EPRDF spokesperson implicated EU and Anna Gomez as the responsible parties for the death of civilians on June 8.

In the midst of all these, UEDF held its second conference, of course in the US, and categorically rejected the election results of May 2005. It renewed its call for transitional government and issued a list of litanies telling others what to do. It also called for a National Conference to be held in Addis to help it implement its resolutions. While some try to digest the implications of the UEDF resolutions, its chairman is telling his audiences that “they have yet to decide” whether or not to join the upcoming EPRDF led parliament. In a span of days, all over the map!

Perhaps it is part of the learning curve. Democracy should be the ultimate goal not the means to power. It is simply a process not a product of zero-sum game. When all said and done,

So far, the only positive phenomenon in the opposition camp is that CUD rose to the challenges and took responsibility of managing Addis that its residents overwhelmingly entrusted it. It also elected its City leaders democratically.

With love to all

Re: Post Election Follies

Yilma wrote: "The “burger humping” crowd called for celebrations although there was nothing new in the report to change the existing political balance."

Yilma,

Your diatribe against the opposition's supporters aside, you just cannot spin away what the EU report means to the "existing political balance." The report by EU, the neutral and in the eyes of the world most credible institution with the largest number of election observers, has declared the elections inconsistent with internationally established standards. Governance, and particularly elections are about legitimacy. Meles wouldn't spend all his time writing a 10-page letter to the eidtor -- a ludicrous sophomoric exercise, I might add -- if being declared illegitimate by the regime's mightiest aid donor meant nothing.

BTW, your reference to the "existing plotical balance" reveals little insight into the intricacies of power. Stalin, once told about the Pope's opposition to his policies, is said to have retorted: "How many divisions does the Pope have." Look where the Pope and Stalin's USSR are today!

Email: workugebrem@yahoo.com

City: here

Selam Worku

Unless you are reading a different document, the report did not declare PM Meles government as “illegitimate”. If that were the case, it could have been the knockout punch. The report validated, almost word by word, many of the allegations made by oppositions. Interestingly, the opposition jumped ship and it is now hard to make a u-turn.

With Love!

Selam Yilma,

Yes, I am reading the same document indeed. And, of course, an international observers’ mission cannot declare a government “illegitimate” in the wake of an election, at least not in so many blunt words. A savvy and sophisticated group of politicians and diplomats like those that comprise the EOM do not do knockout punches. Leave that vulgar exercise to our myopic tyrants. More likely, a group like EOM might make subtle propositions for assisted suicide, if they believe you are terminally ill.

More to the point: the EOM, the largest and most credible third-party observer mission, has issued a report – a preliminary one, I agree – that literally confirms almost all of the opposition parties’ complaints. EOM’s summary judgment that the election was in large parts inconsistent with internationally established standards means that it (the EOM, and by extension the European Union) views the results announced by NEBE as illegitimate. There cannot be any other reading of the report. Ask Meles himself. Why do you think Meles has been dancing since almost a week hell Mary Boogie to Tina Turner’s music?!

Email: workugebrem@yahoo.com

Yilma,

Do you still see the opposition waving a white falg to surrender or do you see a storm building momentum?

MAmo Qilo

Selam Worku

This is a discussion forum, and I will try to be brief; I hope.

You wrote, “EOM’s summary judgment that the election was in large parts inconsistent with internationally established standards means that it (the EOM, and by extension the European Union) views the results announced by NEBE as illegitimate. There cannot be any other reading of the report.”

I honestly disagree with that reading, though a large block of Ethiopians in the Diaspora took similar readings. The report made two key elements clear: 1) the investigative process lacked basic due process to redress complaints of voting/tabulation irregularities and 2) the electoral board (NEBE) failed to meet internationally acceptable norms of behavior to adjudicate as a neutral body in accordance with “references” of mechanisms as agreed upon by all stakeholders of the May 15 election. The language used in the body of the report was favorable to the opposition, perhaps by design as you implied.

The report rejected the process without disputing the results. In circumstances like these, it is the role of the opposition to connect the lack of due process, as reported by international observers, with the final counts and then demand recount to redress. Ana Gomez report provided the tools to do just that.

I agree with you to the extent that the report was not favorable to the ruling party. In my least informed opinion, it was a strong smack on the wrist-not fatal as you seem to suggest. Opposition forces made suicidal mistakes when it embraced TNG as a goal. I am not persuaded that the “king makers” in the west would dare to compel PM Meles to accept TNG/NUG. That simply would not happen short of national kayos, which is a very unlikely scenario in the immediate future.

As you pointed out, the PM could use his time on the more pressing matters than writing a piece on Herald Daily. He has a lot of fences to mend and a lot of policy clean-ups to do if he/EPRDF were to remain a viable political force.

I understand the excitements. But let’s face it; the opposition goofed when it abandoned Fair and Accurate tabulations as its principal tactic. It is like an airliner which tried to take off but skidded outside the runway and its passengers have no clue what happened while patiently waiting on their seats hoping that it would fly. That is what I see.

To Mamo,

Yes the White Flag is flying high and there is no storm gathering. Even the party you openly expressed commitment to, UEDF, has yet to make up its mind “whether or not to join” EPRDF led parliament. What kind of storm would that be? You don’t have to take my word; just consult Dr. Merara.

With love!

Yilma,

You wrote: "Even the party you openly expressed commitment to, UEDF, has yet to make up its mind “whether or not to join” EPRDF led parliament. What kind of storm would that be?" If UEDF officially rejects to join the parlament, would you accept there is no white flag? If the opposition CUD/UEDF both reject the ENEB decision and call for civic disobidience whould you accept there is a storm gathering. Or like your fried (the corrupt) Ethiopian you would come back to say you are still right on technicality since there is no storm ala Katrina? Please answer directly.

Ankasa Doro

Yilma, right or wrong you have told us about the folly the opposition seems to exhibit. Is there any folly on the part of the Government. Look forward to read your insight.

Ethiopian,

I must say that you have lost the bet to Mamo Qilo. I think you need to pay up.

FT

Selam Fitawrari

The government has its share of plenty of follies. Just minimum efforts in looking into some of its press releases and pronouncements since May 16 would reveal plenty. Its spokesperson is very colorful in that regard.

To Mamo,

I don’t have plenty of money to make a kind of bet Ethiopian did. If I lose, I will apologize on this forum; if you lose you will do the same. In the mean time, you remain civil. Do we have a bet?

With love!

Yilma,

I want you to be honest in answering this question. Do you agree that Ethiopian bet big money, lost the bet and then refused to live up to his bet. I respect you it is better not to bet than to bet and pay up. May be the poor guy does not have money.

I will do what you asked if I lose. But let us be clear. Do you agree to the terms I defined in my previous email? Let us be clear.

Ankasa Doro

I don’t have plenty of money to make a kind of bet Ethiopian did. If I lose, I will apologize on this forum; if you lose you will do the same. In the mean time, you remain civil. Do we have a bet?

With love!

Yilma,
You have been duped by Mamo once again - all the people on this conversation list (minus you ofcourse) are mamo the fool himself. Just look at his writing. One thing for sure he is 'no gentlman' - you make a bet with gentlman - he is man with an agenda - which is not one that will benefit Ethiopia. So, like a sick animal he stay on this board several names pretending to care. I suspect him and gebremenamen are two sides of the same coin - one doesn't see anything wrong govt did, one see everything worng with govt. They are both here to antagonize (lemawenabede) and create negative vive. Here is my prediction for the coming days, there will be a lot of partying in Addis for the new year, a lot of them will be the diaspora - don't waste your time trying to have conversation with Mamoron...

Email: mamo@yahoo.com

Selam Mamo

I came at the tail end of the bet between Ethiopian and you. You often whine and grumble on your posting about Ethiopian for not paying up his bet. I remember the bet amount was one thousand dollars, but I never knew what the bet was. I don’t come on line as much as I like to, and when I do I am not always up to speed with some of the personal “conversations”.

I am clear on our bet; I think that is what matters here.

With love!

Selam Ethiopian

I am really confused about this name change business. Why do people keep changing aliases?

Thank you Ethiopian
With Love!

Yilma,

I read your interpretation of UEDF resolutions with disappointment. UEDF clearly pointed out that they don't accept the results of election by NEBE and they further asked for the formation of a National Unity Government. They also called for a National Conference and International Demonstrations. I don't see anything wrong with all these.I do understand that you are a core supporter of CUD especially Dr. Berhanu group but I don't think you have enough reason to oppose the resolution of UEDF. They invited everybody for the mass resistance. Anybody who has clear mind will not oppose it except Woyane. I am sure you would have supported the same decision if it came from CUD.Don't feel bad as most members blindly support the party and oppose the other one if the party says so. As to Dr.Merara's interview, I think he was right when he said they will consult CUD and the Ethiopian people before they do the final decision. He might have a case if you remember the pre-election phenomenon. While UEDF was saying they don't want to join the election in the presence of the existing NEBE in charge of the election and where there is no equitable usage of media, CUD joined the election and UEDF has to join late and face the consequence. I think they might have learned a lesson from this or they might want to work together with CUD. In conclusion, I just ask all of us to be open minded in the struggle for democracy in our country.

Yilma said:

"The report made two key elements clear: 1) the investigative process lacked basic due process to redress complaints of voting/tabulation irregularities and 2) the electoral board (NEBE) failed to meet internationally acceptable norms of behavior to adjudicate as a neutral body in accordance with “references” of mechanisms as agreed upon by all stakeholders of the May 15 election. The language used in the body of the report was favorable to the opposition, perhaps by design as you implied.”

I could add several other key elements the report made (see the NES rebuttal). But what you have written above is good enough for me as a concession coming from an EPRDF apologist. Whether that represents a wound to the arm or a fatal explosion is a metaphorical acrobatics that frankly doesn’t merit any serious discussion. Much clearer and more to the point is the EU observers’ summary judgment that underscores the fact that the ballot “did not live up to international standards and to the aspirations of Ethiopians for democracy.”

“The report rejected the process without disputing the results.”
C’mon Yilma, you’re not making much sense here!

“… it is the role of the opposition to connect the lack of due process, as reported by international observers, with the final counts and then demand recount to redress. Ana Gomez report provided the tools to do just that.”

It would have been really stupid for the opposition to again pursue that objective, after the fiasco of the post-election “investigative” process. No, the opposition is actually standing on a very firm and prudent political ground. In the global environment of the post-cold war world, a regime that is devoid of both national and international legitimacy, has very few political options -- in a country like Ethiopia even less so. I hope you do understand that.

Email: workugebrem@aol.com

Yilma,

Let me refresh your memory. The bet was the following. Some 2 months ago Ethiopia made the following bet.

"IN ONE MONTH, EPRDF will be declared winner by ENEB and the opposition would accept the decision and join the government as a minority party."

When one month came and went by and an other month comes to the end, I said Ethiopian the opposition has not joined the government within the time frame you have predicted. He came back saying that the time frame does not matter it is a technicality and sooner or later the opposition would accept the decision and join the government. Thecnically this could be in 2045. You and Ethiopian share similar vie, but the point is he has lost. He then came and said he would pay only if I matched his donation to a charity. Shibre's family. I contributed $200 (Check with Moderator) and still this corrupt moron refuses to pay up. You be the judge.

Mamo

Selam Netsanet and Worku

Your points are well noted, and I am sure we are going to revisit them in a couple of months.
In the mean time, lets all keep an “open mind”, as netsanet suggested, and hope that the best days are yet to come to the very people we love.

With love!

Selam Mamo

If true, Ethiopian should at least match your donation. Interestingly, I agree with his prediction though I am not sure why he had chosen 4 weeks as his timeline.

With love

Yilma,

You wrote:

"Your points are well noted, and I am sure we are going to revisit them in a couple of months.
In the mean time, lets all keep an “open mind”, as netsanet suggested, and hope that the best days are yet to come to the very people we love"

I am glad you NOTE my points.No body is perfect including the political parties. We always need to be ready for COMPROMISE & RECONCILLATION.

NESTANET