Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gomes’s Report: A Personal opinion

Gomes’s Report: A Personal opinion

By Seifeselassie Sibhatu, PhD, Canada

August 26, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The decision by the Government of Ethiopia and EPRDF to launch this electoral process with international observation and unprecedented openness was a courageous and bold move, which is already bringing measurable political change in Ethiopia.”

EU-EOM

It was with astonishment that I read the Gomes report regarding the assessment of the 3rd Ethiopian election. The report consists of diverse and inconclusive ideas about the election. In stead of pointing out what the next step in Ethiopians stride towards durable and stable peace, the report leave us in limbo. Because the report was so diverse and mixed, it is difficult to draw any substantial conclusion. For example it is difficult to draw any useful information such as, should the opposition join the parliament? Or should NEBE re-run a new election? Should the opposition organise similar demonstration as they did on June? I can not draw any useful conclusion from a report as highly anticipated as this one. What should we conclude from the report and what is your opinion on these issues Ms. Gomes? You created more confusion that does not make any positive contribution in our struggle towards a democratic and prosperous country.

The report basically consists of mixture of diverse ideas. At one point the report tell us that the ruling party’s evidence to the Complaint Investigation Panel (CIP) was better substantiated while opposition parties presented their cases based on poor evidence, inconsistent testimonies or weak arguing. In another places the report consist of a verbatim of what Hailu Shawel and his colleagues have been telling us since long time. At another place the report covers issues that are not within its responsibilities and beyond its jurisdiction. For example, what is the relevance of the following paragraph with 3rd Ethiopian election? “Furthermore, the ruling party passed after May 15th new regulations affecting the conduct of Parliament business and the role of opposition parties in it, and also impacting in the governance of the municipalities throughout the country, namely in the capital. Those regulations, adopted without consultation with other parties which have gained seats in Parliament in the current electoral process, do not help promote the minimal confidence that democratic parties must build in a functioning democratic system.” Does the EU-EOM in Ethiopia such kind of mandates to tell the Ethiopian parliament how it runs the nation’s business. However, for those of us who have been closely following the 3rd Ethiopian election, we are sure we have heard and read this statement from Hailu Shawel & Co. before the release of the Gomes report. It is statements like this included in the report that make us to question the impartiality of the Gomes report. Our doubt about the impartiality of Ms. Gomes first started when she invited to the European Union office in Brussels the criminal Negede Gobeze. What is the contribution of the likes of Negede Gobeze to the democratization of Ethiopia and for election observers to the likes of Ms. Gomes?

After I finished reading the Gomes report I asked myself “was it necessary for Ms. Gomes and her team to travel from Brussels to Addis to paraphrase what the CUD and UEDF have been saying since the Election Day?” The Same report could have been written from any European headquarters by anyone who has no clue about the election. If the assessment of an international observer is to create more confusion than positively contribute to a growth of fledgling democracies like that of ours, it makes us to question the necessity of future observers in the coming election. The report can be considered below standard, from a person representing an organisation which is in turn representing more than a dozen highly democratic countries of the world. Ms. Gomes your report becomes more of garbage in light of the heartfelt assessment of our democratic progress by departing US ambassador the honourable Aurelia Brazeal.

Re: Gomes’s Report: A Personal opinion

Seifeselassie Sibhatu,

Eat your heart out. Gomez's report is 100% endorsed by EU. She is a respected member of EU. Now any peaceful measure the opposition takes would be justified. You can cry for all we care. You are wasting your time writing garbage. I did not even read it.

Mamo Qilo

Now any peaceful measure the opposition takes would be justified.

Let lasy what kind of peaceful measure the opposition takes give us same example?

When you said opposition does that inculd OLF TOO? IF NOT TELL ME what you mean by the opposition party name all of them.

lest question does OLF also have the same right as any oppositon group to take peaceful measure?

Example what CUD consider peaceful measure also should work and OLF too.. this just an example but you tell us the wise one what kind of method involved in peaceful measure you try to implment...

Gebrelikiskis, Sibhatu

Why is your master not accepting the report or questioning EU's credebility now. These are all symptoms of a dictator. May be he should have only stuck to AU who will apriciate his silencing and killing skills.

I am gald there are people like Ana, who sees the real suffering of the poor and their desperation for abselute freedom and change.

We the Ethiopian people should be greatful for the observers for staying for this long to do their job. And what a great job they have done.

Would you be saying the report was good if they had said the election was good. Unfortunatly these are Europeans and Meles can't buy them like he does anyone around him and Di Jibouti.

City: A.A

Tulu,

You need to first sort out your issue with Gebrelekuskus and Ibrulekuskus. They said they do not want you to speak in support of Meles. Now you are shifting to OLF. No one takes you seriously here, not even Gebrelekuskus and he is known to having the lowest IQ here.

Ankasa Doro

TULU, which devision are you based?

I did not bother to read all of what G/S posted. Whatever it is, it is their desperate move. It is hard to believe that Meles has taken the Government jobs from the dedicated and experienced Ethiopian workers and has given to people like Tulu and G/Zmeles and Ibrahim to spread his propaganda.

Dear Tulu!

I have never adressed the above queston. You know how Mamo is playing game in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.