A Candid Letter to Ms Ana Gomes

Abegele, North Wales, UK

Ms Ana Gomes
European Union’s Chief Observer in Ethiopia
Mission of the European Union
Addis Ababa
Ethiopia.

26th August 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Ms Gomes

May I from the outset express my sincere appreciation for all the dedicated hard work that you and your battalion of 300 EU observers had put into Ethiopia’s March 2005 Election? I decided to take this somewhat daunting task of writing to you in the hope and belief that you might have an appetite for the views of ordinary Ethiopians in the Diaspora. I do not mean from the “vitriolic internet politicians” - as described by the out-going US Ambassador to Ethiopia - in that moving valedictory speech of hers to the Addis Ababa Chamber of Commerce. Nor, too, do I mean from Washington and London’s arm chair warriors who are bent on stirring street violence as a short cut to usurp power in Ethiopia, but from an individual Ethiopian whose passionate belief is to see a democratic, peaceful and pluralistic Ethiopia get on with the task of sloughing off Ethiopia’s bad image by declaring war on our backwardness, our grinding poverty, our galloping HIV/AIDS etc.

Identifying my self, then, is in order. I regard myself nobody not even a supernumerary in the political drama that has been running in Addis Ababa for the past 13 weeks. But there again, do I need to be somebody – I ask myself – or do I need to have a handle to my name to qualify for making my views known to a prestigious lady like your good self? For the record I am a corner-shop owner in the lovely village of Abergele, close to the sea-side resort of Londounou in North Wales. Nevertheless, I have resolved to approach your high office in as transparent as above board a manner. That explains why I have shunned the idea of hiding behind a nom de plume like many of my compatriots in the Diaspora for fear of triggering the literary wrath of our somewhat semi-lunatic cyber-warriors. I and my wife, Almaz, left Ethiopia on the 15th March 1978 after our 19 year old son, Kebede, was taken out from our home in his pajamas and shot outside under our very eyes. I rather refrain from going any further for with our pitiful story for fear of being labeled “emotional blackmailer” by remnants of the Derge. If declaring my voting intention is de rigueur at this juncture, please be advised that if Ethiopians in the Diaspora were to be enfranchised, I would gladly vote EPDRF – despite its faults and failures – as my tribute for having given birth to a new Ethiopia from the ashes of Derge’s atrocities by inaugurating democracy and economic reform.

In case you have been brainwashed and fallen prey to the Opposition’s “ethnic card,” I like to assure you that both Almaz and I are through and through Amharas, coming as we do, from the ‘warrior county’ of Bulga. I am left in no doubt, however, that the Amhara elite that had been hobnobbing with you in the lobbies of Addis Ababa Hilton and Sheraton Addis in recent weeks would rubbish us as “hoddam Amharas” – gustatorially fixated Amharas. But the truth of the matter is that the great majority of Amharas both inside and outside Ethiopia are not in league with the anachronistic and arrogant leader of CUD. Almaz and I, would like to regard ourselves as ‘born again’ Amharas – whose psyche has under gone a revolution freeing us from hegimonistic attitudes and enabling us to embrace the vision of moving Ethiopia forward on an equal footing with all the peoples of Ethiopia.

I think I have dwelt at length introducing myself in a sincere attempt to convince you that I am paddling my own canoe and not acting as a proxy of the EPDRF government, with whom, I am sad to note, you are currently experiencing a less-than-cordial working relationship. If you are in any doubt about my identity or sincerity, do please pop in and see us at our bungalow here in Abegele and relish with us Almaz’s Welsh lamb roast available only on Sundays!

Well, Almaz and I spent quite sometime last night reading and re-reading your “Preliminary Statement on The Election Appeals’ Process, The Re-Run of Elections and The Somali Region Elections.” My overall impression is that though it can be described as tendentious by supporters, like me, of the incumbent party, I have failed to find any sentence to suggest that the EPDRF has committed what that I-know-it-all Chairman of CUD once described as “day-light robbery.” Yes, your report has given the Opposition something to glom onto for a while, but to no avail as you have destroyed their crowing point when you declared “EU observers reported that opposition parties presented their cases based on poor evidence, inconsistent testimonies or weak arguing.” What an indictment, I must say, on a party that prides itself as the ‘party of the intelligentsia’ and that looks down on the EPDRF as a ‘bunch of yokels.’ Let us hope, then, that EPDRF and opposition parties accept the findings of your report with grace and move forward with the noble task of leading the nation.

My concern, which had prompted me to write to you is not about what is included in your report, but rather what is conspicuously absent from your report. Don’t worry, I don’t mean to ask you to reply to “Gomesgate” for I am well aware that the rumor mills at home and here amongst the Diaspora have been working overtime. You see, Mrs. Gomes, no sooner had CUD won Addis Ababa with a clean sweep than its Chairman confidently declared “if we don’t get 300 hundred seats in the next government, it would mean that the election had been rigged.” What gave the Engineer the confidence to fulminate in such a manner? The news of an EU EOM exit poll giving the opposition parties a comfortable lead over EPDRF was quickly released by word of mouth by robust Opposition propaganda machinery. This morale booster antidote prompted CUD, amongst other things, to draw up a list of cabinet ministers to replace EPDRF according to our Constitution. The down-side of this antidote was that it triggered the unnecessary clash between the police and demonstrators who had genuinely believed that EPDRF had snatched victory from the jaws of CUD. As the result of the June 8th 2005 demonstration, some 36 demonstrators died. We want to know the truth. I am sure the forth coming inquiry into the killing by the government will give us a clearer picture than what we happen to know now. But an EU EOM report that makes no mention to the leaked exit poll result is incomplete and, no doubt, gives the impression that EU EOM has an axe to grind in the stand off between the EPDRF and opposition parties. By the way, enlighten me, if you will, is it within your remit to conduct exit poll during elections where you have been invited to take part? If your answer is in the affirmative, perhaps your office would be gracious enough and supply us with the name of the qualified pollster to whom you have contracted out the job. If, on the other hand, your answer is no, don’t you realize that EU EOM is in breach of the Memorandum of Understanding agreed between the EU and NEBE? Worse still, don’t you realize the debilitating effect that it is bound to have on the credibility of future observer missions anywhere in the world? Please do not put the astuteness of Ethiopians to the test.

I was tempted to raise the issue of yet another leak by EU EOM to CUD which prompted Engineer Hailu Shawel to pronounce to an extra-ordinary meeting of his shifting and tilting party that he has secured a leaked EU EOM report confirming a CUD win. But having combed through your report and knowing Engineer Hailu’s proclivity to make a mountain out of a mole hill from my days of working under his, otherwise superb managerial skill, at Wonji Sugar Factory, I decided there was no point in troubling you any further with leaked EU EOM allegations.

I leave you with my good wishes and look forward to hosting you at our modest home in Abergele – an ideal place to recharge your batteries.

With Kind regards

D. Nega and Almaz Mesfin

Re: A Candid Letter to Ms Ana Gomes

I always wonder about the wisdem of those CUD. JUST because one old white woman by the name of Ms Ana Gomes, said the election is unfair they want to go to WAR over this?

I think if this not about Ms. Ana Gomes a white old woman say this or that... this is about finding excuse to go to war by any means... if they respect what this old white woman said then she only comenting about Somlia region election that is what she was saying... she neve say anything about May 15 election...

I love those Somilian the sold the voting card... what more freedom does any one want beside saling your voting right... God bless them what evern it is finily they choice the Ambassoder Widow's

Garbage, garbage, garbage...waste of time.

D. Nega

Is none other than Mulugeta Asrate Kassa. His wife's name is Almaz. Ms. Gomez should know that according to a wel documented report, Mulugeta Asrate Kassa makes his living by robbing unsuspecting people. I would advise her to be careful with him. D. Nega stands for Dartedar Nega, a name I understand, according to a message I read inone of the Ethiopian discussion forums, is one of Mulugetas names.

Mamo Qilo

Ankasa doro!

Things become clear right now when you said, " I would advise her to be careful with him". Don't you thing she can not stand by herself without yor advise?

gebrelekuskus,

She can stand for herself, but she needs to know he is Kis Awlaki.

Mamo Qilo

Gebrelekuskus,

Have you niticed how I am paralizing you. You post something and I link it with Mulugeta and the discussion becomes about something else other than the topic you wished. I am a mean SOB annd too smart for you.

Let me tell you what I am doing, first I have rendered you lifeless. I have wasted Tulu so much so that even you are pushing him away, like a radio active waste. I have rendered Ibrahim to a point that he is now reduced to cutting and posting. He is afraid to get into discussion.

WHy are you guys writing appeal letters. That is not a good sign. The oppsition has rendered your boss lifeless. Have you seen his picture lately, he looks like Arogit Doro Yefesachbet Demet.

You look like Ewer YebuwaTeTew Genfo. This is not your season.

Ankasa Doro

She told the truth. She will not have any regrate. She exposed you to the world. The main thing is she knows how much respect she got from the people of Ethiopia. She knows that you are a bunch of killers, thieves. Any person can judge you from your unethical, nasty, unprofessional comments. It would be an insult rather if you thank her.

Email: gebru@hotmail.com

City: DC

D. Nega a.k.a Mulugeta Asrate Kassa

You are Ain YaweTa Leba, how dare you critisize the Honhourable Ana Gomez who cannot be bribed by Woyane like that second man in AU. Now you guys even started blaming the June violence on EU-EOM . Shame on you hodam Amara.

Email: abebe@yahoo.com

City: Edmonton

Gebreselassie,

Do you now see what I am talking about. What ever you post here is going to be linked with Muluget Asrate Kassa. Sorry.

Mamo Qilo

How did I miss this. Mulugeta leba is very desperate he has to use fake name. Someone needs to tell him that he has to return the commission he took from weyane. His deceit didn't work.

Yebret Kolo.

Gebrelikiskis,

The vote was held in May 2005, not in March 2005. The vote in March must have been organised by TPLF on how to stop the oppositon. I think you are getting your infomation wrong. I also think your skills on cut and paste isn't how it used to be. What happened, has Meles cut your salary as he has got new recruites the like of Tulu/Tutu.

City: AA

Re: A Spinning Letter to Ms Ana Gomes

First, you can say any thing about Hailu Shawel's political ambition but you made a big mistake to slander his managerial skills. I challenge D. Nega (if that is your real name) to name your post and position in wonji sugar Mills and what lies Eng. Hailu told management or staff. Second, Mr. Ana Gomez is a diplomat and questioning her credibility is non sense. The PM Meles wrote that she lied twice in his half released and convoluted letter. Now you are trying to indicate that she might be breaking NEBE agreement. Just to let you know, the agreement is nothing more than understandings and Ms. gomez is not bound by any law of NEBE. Election observers will tell what they saw and if there is evidence contrary to what they said, you and the P.M should present it. Stupid spinning letters from you and the P.M or name calling to diasporas will not make a difference. Third there is a polemic argument from EPDRF side that CUD should be happy to win some vote and any other objection by opposition is equated with a link to Derg and other name calling like Meison Bla bla bla. Well that is a similar scare crow from the imposter Mulugeta who is a male prostitute and a thief. It is not going to work. Go back to hell via Mekele.

V],
Thank you, I agree with you.

Vj,

Wow! You must be in full speed on this one. You told Mulugeta off. I cannot believe you reminded him that he is "a prostitute and a thief". You descimated the man who makes his leaving by robbing elderly citizens.

I honestly suspect that the first draft of Meles's letter was drafted by geberefenafent, way too many disjointed cut and paste. What is shameful is that this is the kind of thing that one would expect from a third rated freshman, not from a Prime Minister of a country.

Ana Gomez is a veteran diplomat and a senior officer at that. It is stupid of Meles and company to think EU senior managemnt would take a stand against her. To begin with she would not release such a report before it is cleared and authorized by the political bureau of EU.

Mamo Qilo

I don't want to analyse your trash. Answer one simple question. Why the Melese forces killed innocent 42 Ethiopians? Didn't they have a right to oppose about the way the election was handeled?
Don't tell Ms Gomeze what to do? She has been there and she has the first hand information. She is well experienced and educated lady. She knows what she is doing. Do you think your kind of stupid analysis change the observers idea. You should know the report
is based on the field report not based on Meles and Bereket lies.
Who cares about your kind of garbage, She got Ethiopian people respect for the truth she told

Email: abera@hotmail.com

City: DC