Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EU criticises Ethiopian elections - BBC

BBC wrote "The European Union's chief election observer in Ethiopia has said recent elections failed to meet international standards in several key respects."

I think it is time now for the opposition to act immediately. I don't think the opposition will now have any pretext to sit in a parilament which the Eueropean Union observers say is a result of an electioin which failed to meet key principles of democratic election.

We hope that some liberal elements in the opposition will not suppress the desire of the people for change this time.

Abrham
Jerusalem

City: Jerusalem, Israel

Re: EU criticises Ethiopian elections - BBC

It is the report the world community has been waiting for and the verdict of the EU should be followed up with action. It is a celebration for the Ethiopian people and their leaders for upholding their position in the face of threats and intimidation by the fascist regime. It is a vindication of the stand the Ethiopian people have taken against the fascist robbers who have illegally massacred, detained and intimidated innocent people and stolen their votes.
Woyane and its Kangaroo parliament should be dissolved. The Ethiopian people should be forming their government with their elected members.

Woyane is an illegal, a criminal and unelected gangster group who have seized power by force and intimidation. These thieves and fascist killers should not longer be allowed to sit on the shoulders of the Ethiopian people. Ethiopia should be able to move forward joining hands with the rest of the free world.

Justice must be served to the Ethiopian people. The criminal gangsters who murdered innocent people must be charged. There is no other way to recover the dignity and honour of our people and our country that has been trampled over by the anti-Ethiopian Zenawi and his cadres.
http://www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__africa/&articleid=249035

This is dependency. Please give priority to your own.

Sebehat Le Egziabher!!!
Sebehat Le Egziabher!!!
Sebehat Le Egziabher!!!

There is God. And God is great.
Praise the Lord!!!
Praise the Lord!!!
Praise the Lord!!!
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!

City: Addis

yes, Victory for Ethiopian democracy. Melesse cannot cheat anymore. WEll done EU. Now the ball is in EPRDF hand whether to accept defeat or have illigetimate government
Opoosition of course will boy cott which doesnot fulfill international standard. Right buddies? There will be orange revolution in Ethiopia sooner the better.

Email: wbinyam@hotmail.com

It is amazing how quick you are to jump to conclusion. You read what you want and disregard the rest. I am sure once you read my posting you will also classify me as an EPRDF supporter. Unfortunately I am not an EPRDF nor a CUD supporter. I think none of teh polyical groups at hand will do any good forthe country. There has to be a way for a new political group to be created that will look after its CITIZENS need.

Walta Information Center

EU EMO releases Preliminary Report on Complaint Investigations, Rerun and Somali State Elections

Addis Ababa, August 25,2005 (WIC)- The European Union Election Observation Mission to Ethiopia (EU EOM) released a preliminary repot today on the handling and process of the Complaint Investigation Panels (CIPs), as well as the subsequent rerun elections and the elections in Somali Regional State.

In a press briefing held at Sheraton Addis this afternoon Chief Observer and Head of the Mission Ana Gomez described the overall process of the CIPs and the rerun elections as positive and carefully undertaken though there were irregularities and unbecoming implementation.

She said the NEBE has set-up a complex system to investigate and address election complaints in a tense political environment, which according to her offered political parties a mechanism, among others, to sort out disputes by peaceful means.

Indicating that most of the observed CIPs functioned in accordance with the terms of reference, Gomez, however said that the overall process has not met the government’s obligations to provide effective remedy to the parties as the process took place in a context of serious violations of human rights and freedoms of opposition leaders and suspected supporters.

According to her though the composition of members of the CIPs appears to be fair, there was no level playing field in the process.

Nevertheless Gomez said, EU observers mostly reported that the opposition parties presented their cases with poor evidences, inconsistent testimonies or weak arguments, adding the withdrawal of the opposition from CIPs in some constituencies without presenting their case and prior to the completion of the investigation played a significant role in shaping the final recommendation CIPs presented to the NEBE.

Contrary to the oppositions’, she added most evidences of the ruling EPRDF were better substantiated with its CIPs representatives being better prepared and the witnesses more convincing.

Concerning the conduct of rerun elections she said that EU observers’ findings about the polling process were generally positive. Their overall assessment of the process has been rated as good in 64 percent of the cases and very good in 24 percent, Gomez added.

However, she indicated that negative elements related to registration, provision of information to voters about rerun elections and much lower turnout have to be underlined.

With regard to the elections in Somali Regional State, she said despite the high turnout the process was characterized by various irregularities among which clan related incidents in Jijjiga, which led to the intervention of the Army to settle the situation down.

Asked about the claim by the opposition CUD as having access to the report of EU EOM prior to the release of any report by her Mission, Gomez admitted that there was a leak on the report, adding serious investigations would be held to find out how the leak took place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 1998 - 2002 Walta Information Center

CUD+EUDF, PLEASE ACT NOW!!

WE NEED ACTION!! THIS IS A GOOD START.

ETHIOPIA WILL RISE, SOON.

Mr. Concerned,

if Ms. Gomes' report was so positive towards the EPRDF and the NEB, then why would Bereket call it biased, huh?! go figure...

Ze Abysnia,

Where in my posting do you see the word "positive". The purpose of my posting was to show that there was more to teh report by the EU. If you notice I don't think anybody posted the article I posted? Ask yourself why? I don't think you are that naive to get teh answer? I don't side with any poltical group, but I hate to see the truth being distorted by individuals to serve their purpose. I think we all have the right to get all teh information before we make our judgemnets

Oh, wow, now u r thinking u r soo balanced, arent u?! Ethiopian Review has posted the link to the whole thread and we were able to read the whole thing the EU has said, and very little percentage of it was positive towards the EPRDF or the NEBE. All those that are trained in true journalism, and work for international medias with integrity have tried to show the overall spirit of the report, which was totally criticizing the way the alection investigation went on! But what does WIC does? It picks up a statement or two out of a ten page report and writes a whole article around it. My brother, in case you do not know, for those of us who grew up in Ethiopia, government medias are very suffocating and we are disgusted by it. Please do not quote them as any source of facts! If you needed a balanced info, go find it from independant medias, which we were reading before you got to this thread!

Ze Abyssinia:

Please don't tell me that ER is a balanced site when it comes to news? I am sure you have been brain washed by ER. The problem withyou is that you have already made up your mind and nothing else will penestrate your stand. You proved my point when I said that you would classify me as an EPRDF supporter. Unlike you I read every news media, whether it be the government or the independent. Are you going to tell me that f CUD was to be in power that you would not trust their news site as well? My friend I will say it again I unlike you have a very open mind and am willing to listen to every side, where as you are stuck to one side. You do have teh right to side with a group but does not mean that you have to be blind and deaf to teh other

oh lol, u makin me laugh....

No, I don't think ER is balanced because it is out in the open that it supports the opposition, but atleast most of what they have written to this date is true except for some bias regarding Birhanu Nega, etc. I come here to get information to put at the back of my mind and wait and compare it to other medias. But my brother, I do go to different medias, mostly international, but not Walta. Are you crazy?! These people are out right liers! I know what you mean....its good to hear from the other side...but trust me, WIC is not telling you any other side of a story, it tells you a fabricated and misguided information. For God sakes, these people mis quote and selectively quote people to achieve their agenda! ER doesnt select quotes or take people out of context....it quotes the whole thing and if it disagrees, it disagrees with them, there, out in the open! But government medias dont do that! They keep people in the dark! They lie! Even as recently as last month the European Union's delegation chief complained to the information minister of being misquoted! Ana Gomez in June released a statement showing her disappointment on how the government medias take her out of context, take the part that is only positive to the government and hide the criticism from the people! Is that telling the other side of the story? No! It is misguiding and misinforming, which is dangerous! So, don't fool yourself thinking that you are being just and balanced and listening to the other side of the story u r just being fooled my brother.

After all it is not bad at all.
The EU observers gave passing mark to the present Ethiopias election process.
According EU observers rating, The Ethiopian election was rated 64% perfect.
WOW ! It is not bad for young Democracy.

Email: Demeke@yahoo.com

City: WI

Demeke,

do u think we will be misled or do u just write for the sake of it? First of all, the observation was only concerned about the Investigation process, not the whole election. Secondly, it doesnt say 64% Perfect....lol, it says good. The ful report is gonna come out in September and we will see.

ANA GOMESE'S TRUE AND JUST VERDIICT ON ETHIOPIAN POPULAR ELECTION,WAS MET BY THE RULING PARTY,WITH VICIOUS,VINDICITIVE,LIES FULL OF VENMOUS HATE
IN ONLY ONE WORD,SHE HAS SILENCED ALL THE LIES LAVELED AGANIST HER!
ANA GOMEZ,I HAVE ONLY ONE WORD OF PRAISE FOR YOU '
PROFOUND!
ETHIOPIANS,OUT SIDE,,AND ISIDE ARE IN EUPHORIA OVER YOUR VERDICT ON THE ELECTION.WITH THE SAME FURVER,THE
PEOPLE OF FTHIOPIA IS AWAITTING THE ANGLO-AMERICAN VEERDICT!
MY GUT FEELING,IT WILL BE A GREAT DISSAPPOINTMENT TO
THE OPPOSITION PARTY THT ARE NOW BASKING UNDER YOUR
HONEST,AND PROFOUND VERDICT!
THE ANGLO-AMERICAN VIEW OF LIFE HAS ALLWAYS DIFFERED
FROM THAT OF EUROPIAN-UNION.OBJECTIVITY,ASIDE,ANGLO-AMERICAN,SEE THINGS FROM QUED UP SELF-INTEREST SUBJECTIVITY.
JUST TO DAY 8/25/05 I HEARED FROM BBC,THAT THE WAR OF AL-QAEDA IS IN THE PROESS OF BEING MOVED FROM AFGANISTAN TO AFRICA,PARTICULARLY,HORN OF AFRICA.THIS STATMENT WAS MADE BY MG.GENRAL DUGLAS LUTE,OPERATION
OF US CENTRAL COMMAND.
SUPPORT FOR DEMOCRACY IN ETHIOPIA,FROM THIS QUARTER IS AN ILLUSION,AND MY ADVICE FOR MY FELLOWS IS :HAVE NO HIGH HOPE;BE THANKFULL TO ANA GOMEESE FOR HER COURAGUS DECISION!
AND ABOVE ALL,BE THANKFULL TO THE RULING PARTY,THAT ALLOWED YOU TO PARTICIPATE IN A FARE AND TRANSPARENT
ELECTION IN WHICH YOU CAME OUT WITH 160 SEATS,FROM
THAT OF 12 SEATS IN PREVIOUS PARLAMENT.
FROM DAY ONE OF THE ELECTION MAY 15 2005,THE ABOVE STATMENTS,HAS BEEN,AND IS TO DAY THE STAND OF ANGLO-
AMERICANS,AS AGAIN AFFERMED AND REAFFEMED IN FAREWELL
SPEECH AT ETHIOPIAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE,BY A DEPARTING
US.AMBASSADOR OF ETHIOPIA!
CANDALE LIGHT VIGIL FOR AFRICA
CANALE LIGHT VIGIL AND PRAY FOR ETHIOPIA!!

Email: messayewossen@yahoo.com

City: los angels

WHY IS IT MODERATOR FAILED TO POST EU's 10 PAGE REPORT?