Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Profile: Dr Berhanu Nega

The first democratically elected Mayor in Ethiopia
By Abebe Gelaw
Despite the lingering post-election political impasse, the Coalition for Unity and Democracy (CUD) has democratically elected Dr Berhanu Nega Mayor of Addis Ababa. Dr. Amasu Gebeyehu and Ato Assefa Habtewold have also been elected Deputy Mayor and Speaker of the city assembly respectively. If the CUD decides in favour of taking over the task of running the city, it will be the first democratically elected public administration ever in Ethiopia.

The prospect of being administered by officials who have won the confidence and trust of the people is a leap forward by itself, notwithstanding the setbacks in the struggle for democracy ensuing the obstinacy of tyrants who have decided to cling to the dangerous cliff of political power at any cost.

A brief profile of the Mayor-elect seems quite timely, as public officials need to have a shinning record in terms of quality of leadership, calibre, honesty and above all uncompromising commitment to the good of the nation.

Born in 1958 in Debrezeit, Dr. Berhanu is a leading member of the opposition fighting to liberate Ethiopia from the tyranny of Meles Zenawi. During his freshman year at the Addis Ababa University, he participated in the student movement, which was in the forefront of fighting the oppressive feudo-capitalist system. When the Derg unleashed the Red Terror against political opponents, Berhanu fled the country. He was fortunate enough to cross the boarders to the Sudan where he lived for two years until he was granted political asylum in the United States.

He did his undergraduate degree in economics at the State University of New York and his Ph.D. in economics from the New School for Social Research, in New York City. During that time, he became one of the organizers of an annual conference on the "Horn of Africa" that debated and analyzed the political, social and economic conditions in the sub-region. For over five years, it served as a forum for intellectual dialogue among political leaders, policy analysts and researchers interested in developments in the Horn of Africa.

Having completed his Ph.D studies, he joined the faculty of economics at Bucknell University in Lewisburg, PA, where he became a lecturer in economics for three years. Later he founded Imbilta, a bi-monthly magazine focusing on economic, political, social and current affairs in Ethiopia. In 1989, Berhanu got married to Dr. Nardos Minasse.

With a view to contributing their due share, Dr Birhanu and his wife, along with his two children, returned to Ethiopia in 1994. Berhanu became an entrepreneur and founded the Ethiopian Agro-Maize, Inc., a fertilizer producing company, and Addis Village Family Home Builders Inc. Since his return to Ethiopia, Berhanu has served as a lecturer at the Addis Ababa University, Department of Economics. From 1996 to 2000, he served as the president of the Ethiopian Economic Association.

He has been serving as the head of the Ethiopian Economic Policy Research Institute, a non-profit organization that he helped to set up. He is also an independent consultant for the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA).

Berhanu has delivered many lectures and published several articles and reviews on Ethiopian economic conditions and on how political and human right issues affect the economic development of a country. He is a highly articulate speaker and panellist on social and economic issues in Ethiopia. It was his participation as a panellist in a public forum in which human rights and academic freedom issues were discussed, which led to his arrest and imprisonment in 2001.(1) Dr. Berhanu and Professor Mesfin Woldemariam have been defending themselves against tramped up charges of incitement.

Dr Berhanu is a humble and determined economist who is credited for effectively framing the intellectual argument against EPRDF. His exceptional performance, along with other oppostion leaders, at the pre-election debates with the ruling party has contributed a great deal to the tide of public support to turn in CUD's favour. (2) He is a fouding Chairman of the Rainbow Ethiopia for Democracy and Social Justice and an Executive Committee member of CUD, which he has also served as its election campaign chief.

Given his excellent record as an intellectual and astitute politician, one can boldly claim that Berhanu is one of a 'new generation' of Ethiopian liberation fighters who have been struggling to free Ethiopia from the tentacles of tyranny, not through destruction and bloodshed but through the power of non-violent struggle.

-----
Biographical sources:
1/ acas.prairienet.org/alerts/ethiopia/berhanbio.html - 4k
2/ mediaethiopia.com

Re: Profile: Dr Berhanu Nega

As an Ethiopian, who prayed endlessly to God to bring a capable leader to our country, I can only say "temesgen" to hear such an achiever has come to rescue our Addis Ababa.
The responsibility to rebuild our country will not be the sole burden of the new leaders. The responsibility will be of all Ethiopians inside and outside the country. We, Ethiopians, in the diaspora are more than willing, and are very ready to help in the rebuilding of our nation more than ever.

Temesegen,

I will quote the following from the article and ask explanation:

"Born in 1958 in Debrezeit, Dr. Berhanu is a leading member of the opposition fighting to liberate Ethiopia from the tyranny of Meles Zenawi. During his freshman year at the Addis Ababa University, he participated in the student movement, which was in the forefront of fighting the oppressive feudo-capitalist system. When the Derg unleashed the Red Terror against political opponents, Berhanu fled the country. He was fortunate enough to cross the boarders to the Sudan where he lived for two years until he was granted political asylum in the United States. "

My question is at what political organization and in what capacity did he work at that time. Anybody who has the knoweledge can answer it.

Nestanet

Nesanet...The past has given him experience...It doesn't matter whether he was EPRP or MEISON!

Thanks Temesgen,
Dr. Berhanu Nega has impressive biography. As an Ethiopian I am proud of him. Let’s hope and pray corruption won’t change him. May God protect him. People like him threaten Meles and Co.

kewenbere teneschie beakbrot enkuan lezih abekan ilaleu le Dr. Berhanu.

Dr. Berhanu we are honoured to have you as a leader.

Thank you, we start to see that Ethioipia is going to have intelectual leaders, not from chaka, dedboch.

I took off my hat for you. Dr. Berhanu.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
GOD BLESS YOU!!

Berhanu Nega will be remembered as the one who betrayed the AAU students when they came out to demand respect for the vote their parents cast in the country side. While agazie troops were gunning down the students, he was signing away the people's vote. Berhanu and his former EPRP friends, who are now in complete control of CUD, are after one thing and only one thing--power at any cost, even sharing it with the blood sucking woyanne. The people's choice be ****ed. Any body who is in their way is to be sidelined. Look what they tired to do with Lidetu and others who have been moblizing and organizing the people throught out the country for the past five years. Berhanu didn't do any organizing. He appeared in the scene just a few months before the election. The only thing he organized is division inside EDUP and AEUO. He succeeded in turning EDUP chairman Dr Admasu against Lidetu. Now is he working quitely to sideline Ato Hailu Shawel. Because Ato Hailu's tough stand is threatening Berhanu's mayorship of Addis Ababa. So for Berhanu and friends, the next target is Hailu Shawel. If the people's vote to be respected Berhanu must be stopped. People may not realize this now, but once the euphoria subsides, they will realize that woyanne will be in power longer, those who carried the struggle this far will be hunted down by woyanne, while opportunits like Berhanu will reach a compromise to share power and loot Ethiopia for the next five years. The poor people of Ethiopia will remain poor, because Berhanu's economic policy is the same as that of woyanne. Don't forget that he was the economic adviser of Tamrat Layene.

Iyasu..this kind of incrimination doesn't help Ethiopia. We have to promote the likes of Dr Birhanu, who unlike you and me, gave up their realatively safe life in the U.S, to contribute their share. What have you done for your country except criticizing others who are contributing a lot? Dr. Birhanu is a hero, whether you like it or not!

Well said Mark.

Iyasu
Don't try to disguise your self. We know you are working for woyane. No one gives this type of distractive comment as opposition. This is an old tactic try something else. Read again what is written about him. for example, he was imprisoned with prof. Mesfin.

Email: hager@hotmail.com

City: DC

Temesgen,

I don't think it matters. But I just asked in what organization did he work and at what capacity.Just for information, not a big deal. No need to hide.

Nestanet

Gash Iyasu,

By now, you should have learned who the majority is with. The council members democratically elected Dr. Birhanu to be the Mayor. So, when people vote, others are supposed to shut up and accept it! It's not a new thing for a party to have hard liners and moderates, and thats what is happening in the CUD. But unfortunately, the only thing people like you can think of is black and white/right and wrong. You are never gona find that, you just have to wish for the balanced idea. Everyone is needed for the CUD. Lidetu, Hailu Shawel, Birhanu, etc. Ethiopia needs all capable and strong she could get. Don't sweat at dividing them. Birhanu is a politician that is too much for his time in Ethiopia. Everybody still wants to kill each other and see some blood shedding, and don ask me whats wrong with them, coz thats my question too. The guy knows Diplomacy and peace and I applaud that for him. Plus, you should have noticed by now how Hailu Shawel is also becoming moderate about his views.

Anyways, congra to the man, Birhanu Nega!

Iyasu...He was, in simple terms, a student activist like most in his generation. If you wanna know more, do your own research. Anyway, we have to big up the man!! Don't get disappointed. If you can replace him, come on and let us see you in the field...though it isn't as easy as burger munching!!!

Iyasu,

Poor Iyasu....you are as anarchist as your mentors....Dr. Berhanu is the first ever democratically elected Mayor in ethiopia. Out of the possible 134 votes in the council he received 123 votes. Do you get the message u little communist punk?

It is truly amazing that some political demagogues still waste their time the mayorship of Dr. Berhanu. People can discusss issues related to the job of the mayor and Berhanu's background. But the fact that the people have elected him and the council has chosen him ... is final fact. So please, refocus the issue. As for me, Berhanu will massive support of the people and he will be a fantastic mayor. Viva Addis..

The following is taken from the article:

"Berhanu became an entrepreneur and founded the Ethiopian Agro-Maize, Inc., a fertilizer producing company, and Addis Village Family Home Builders Inc."

I wonder if that is the reason why he wanted or was forced to be smooth with Woyane.That is a lot of money to lose. Money might have mattered.

Nestanet

Netsanet...You are good for nothing...Show us how you would replace Berhanu, who is the first truly elected public official in the history of Ethiopia. That speaks for itself.

Selam Temesgen

"burger munching!!!"? WOW! That is so original. May I suggest another phrase into your American lexicon? How about "burger mulching".

Love to all

Nestanet, first, I believe Berhanu himself said that he was a member of the EPRP.

Second, your implication that Berhanu is putting his personal interests ahead of CUD's overall goals is, well, a good example of why many ferenjis think all Africans are uncivilized, backward, and bickering lot.

Email: a@b.com

Yilma is trying to divide the opposition.

Ankasa Doro aka
Tengara Gundan aka
Mamo QIlo

The CUD leadership and the people are far apart. This is so because the CUD leadership that the people knew before the electon is not the same. It's been taken over completely by the likes of Berhanu who prefer to strike a deal with Meles than confrontation. But the people are saying enough. They don't want to be ruled by Meles and gang for five more years. They made a choice, i.e., they want to be liberated now.

It seems Berhanu is in control of the CUD. He has the majority block in the CUD council. Hailu Shawel has become just a figure head. Hailu doesn't have a choice because he doesn't have the votes any more. What Berhanu says the majority in the council will accept. Hailu Shawel made a major mistake in contributing to the marginalizing of Lidetu, a natural ally. As a result, he is now in the minorty. Berhanu is the de facto leader of the CUD now. He coopted Dr Admasu and Dr Hailu from EDP, and Engineer Gizachew from the AEUP to his side.

Dr Admasu is one of the biggest disappointment in all this. He betrayed Lidetu, his partner in the struggle for the past five years. While Hailu, Lidetu, and others toured the country side organizing and mobilizing the people to vote against EPRDF, Berhanu was working to gain influence in the CUD leadership by sowing seeds of discord inside the EDP leadership.

All this would have been ok if he has a strong position against woyanne. I don't care about the internal politics. I want to see woyanne gone and gone now. Berhanu has no interest in ending the woyanne rule now. He didn't work for that goal and said so in many occasions in public. Ato Hailu, on the othe hand, campaigned hard to defeat woyanne this year and now. That's what he promised the people. That's what Lidetu promised the people. That's why woyanne put these two leaders under 24 hour survailance and every time they leave their homes, several woyanne armed thugs are following them. Berhanu is not a threat to woyanne. The recurring tragedy of Ethiopian politics is that those who make real sacrifices, who are honest, and have the people's interest at heart are always pushed aside through intrigue by opportunits like Berhanu who have benefited more than most Ethiopians under the Meles rule in the past 14 years.

Woyanne has been good for Berhanu economically. Real confrontation with woyanne would be economically disadvantageous for him. Americans say in political follow the money trail. Berhanu has just too much at stake in avoiding any type of confrontation. Is that why he always contradicts Hailu Shawel strong decisions and public statements?

Now that Berhanu got what he wants, hopefully, from now on he will keep quite and work on Addis Ababa related issues and leave the national politics to Hailu Shawel, whom he has been undermining up to now. If Berhanu keeps contridicting Hailu Shawel and continues try to difuse the struggle against woyanne, those of us who wish to see the end of woyanne rule must organize a "stop berhanu" movement. Other wise, woyanne will continue to plunder and pillage Ethiopia for more years to come.

Berhanu supporters will try to defend him by attacking individuals like by accusing us of trying to divide CUD. My answer to them is that if CUD is unwilling to heed the wish of the people, it doesn't deserve to exisit. CUD promised the people that if they elected for its candidates, it will lead the country for the next five years. The people did their part paying enormous sacrifices. It would be a betrayal of the people of Ethiopia if CUD is unwilling to deliver its promise. The person who is playing a leading role in stirring CUD away from confronting woyanne is Berhanu.

Iyasu...opposition leaders are brainy enough to know what is good for the party and the nation...Only the Weyane try to make decisions on their behalf. You need to accept democracy at work. Why are you talking about betrayal and things like that? This is the 21st Century...not the Zemene Mesafint. The defeat of a weak idea should not be mourned much. Condemning people who are making huge sacrifices is nothing but envy....

Iyasu is Yilma by another screen name. Moderator should expose him.

Mamo Qilo

Mamo must be a desperate soul. I like to think he is not the best face UEDF can show in the “burger munching” part of our world.

With love.

Yilma,

You appear to be very desperate to divide the opposition(UEDF/CUD). NOT GOOD AT ALL. For anyone who wants to get rid off Woyane and have democracy in our country,that is a wrong way to go. I always wonder the reason behind this.

Nestanet

Hirna,

I heard he was EPRP.I don't really know at what capacity he worked. But I don't understand why people try to hide it.

The fact that he has a lot of investement in the country could be the main reason why he doesn't want to be in serious conflict with Woyane. He already acknoweledge their court. He is very eager to send his party to the parliament, etc while others are just watching from outside.

Nestanet

Dr. Berhanue has impressive background. However, Businessmen usually lookout for their pocket books more so for any one else. I hope this is not the case with him. Can someone elaborate what kind of business deals Dr. Berhanue has with the Fertilizer Co.?

People move on with the real and current issues. Who cares about EPRP's past members. Most youth at that time were either eprp or meison, so what?

Netsanet,
Berhanu himself said he was eprp member when he was a teen so what? President Bush took cocain when he was young, so what? President Clinton smoked/but didn't inhale grass when he was a teen, so what? Lets move on to new issues.

City: Merkato

Netsanet= Tazabi, Why is that EPRPians are going after individuals all the time? Can you answer that? What's wrong with them? Why can't they fight the real enemy?
Thanks,
Yebret Qolo

Yebret Qolo,

Your generalization is simply WRONG. Whenever you want to generalize something, think twice. If I make a wrong statement, you can address it to me.

Coming back to the point, I don't have personal problem with Dr.Berhanu. He is a great Ethiopian. But I have difference with some of his political stand.Forexample, his decision to go to court,opposing demonstrators,go to Woyane parliament,etc.

Nestanet

Nestanet, fine. Although that is the routine I'm seeing this far.

Yebret Qolo,

It may be your perception. If anybody do good we have to say, he did good.Similarily,if somebody acts in a way that is against the interest of the people, we have to say stop it. For example,the political position of Lidetu was to the interest of the Ethiopian people. In this case,we will praise him. That is all.Don't be scared of criticisim.

Nestanet

The collective decision of the opposition leaders needs to be respected. Why do you think that Lidetu is the only liberator. When it comes to decision he is not the only person who is right.

Taye,

I agree with you. But I think you misquote me.

Nestanet