Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Back to Addis" - and soon "-----to Ethiopia"

We have heard that Addis is now under a democratically elected administration. To what extent this newly found democracy will be practiced is yet to be seen. In other words, would the woyane controlled federal government (assuming the worst)'allow' a free and democratic city to function in the center of the nation? Whatever the answer is to the above, allow me to indulge your thoughts to the following.
Let us, for the first time in history, put our money on Addis Ababa and bet on its revival. This, however, is no regular betting, because it has an assured outcome.
Under this topic, I propose to participants of this forum to suggest ways and means that we Ethiopians in the diaspora can participate to kick start the real budding and flowering of Addis Ababa.
Here is my two cents worth ideas:
1)Organise in groups (say groups of friends) and invest in business ventures
2)Creat voluntary charity organisation to help the destitute and poor of the city
3)Plan a voluntary work program to help the city council in professional areas, e.g,medical expertise,town planning, business management, big infrastructure developments, major events organisation etc.
4)Send necessary but small items of use to be distribted by the council e.g,computers and accessories, softwraes, clothing to the poor, etc
5)Help develop new institutions of vital importance e.g, local papers, job centers etc
Lets rebuild our city - Addis Ababa, it is long overdue.

Email: hiwot@optusnet.com.au

City: Sydney