Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Birhanu Nega - mayor of Addis

Congratulations to Birhanu Nega and the mayoral team for Addis Abeba.
Our beautiful city will be more beautiful in the hands of its true sons and daughters.

We expect a democratically run council serving the interests of the people of the capital.
We expect a council that is a shining example for the advancement of people's power and democratic governance and one that stands for justice and fairness for all.
We wish them all the success.

Like the people of Addis Abeba, the Ethiopian people will be owners of their votes and set up their own government. Zenawi's fascist regime should hand over the votes they have stolen from the Ethiopian people and leave.

God bless Addis Abeba
God bless Ethiopia
Victory to the Ethiopian people

Re: Birhanu Nega - mayor of Addis

I have no doubt that the hard working, Ethiopia-loving people of Addis will do everything possible to show Woyane how a city is managed, how a nation is led. Berhanu comes from a culture of hard work, justice, fairness, and unshakeable loyalty to Ethiopia. Addis will beam a beacon of hope and optimism. Wait and see. Mother Queen Tayitu called it New Flower... we shall make it the precious Rose of Ethiopia. Addis will be the splendor and the rose of mother Ethiopia. Wait and See. Yichalal

Glad he has won. I hope the rest who have won legitimately be announced soon. At the same time, unless Meles and Co. removed I don’t know how these CUD and UDEF members will do they their job effectively.

It is hypocrite on the part of CUD to name Dr. Birhanu Nega Mayor of Addis while have not decided whether it will particiapte in the parliament of the Democratic Republic of Ethiopia or not.

CUD should boycott to adminstor Addis if it is not going to participate in the parliament. Game ought to stop and follow direction of the people of Ethiopia. Should fail, CUD should be outlawed once for all.

Elsa W.

I fell sorry to hear that you are still vioicing about removal of EPRDF.

How do you think will be the democratic culture devlop then if we keep giving deaf ear to tolerance?

August 20, 2005 1:00 PM

The election of the leadership of the new government of the Addis Ababa City government has just been finalized.

Accordingly the following are the elected with their corresponding votes won:

1. Dr. Berhanu Nega - Mayor (123 votes)
2. Dr. Admasu Gebeyehu - Deputy Mayor (109 votes)
3. Ato Assefa Habtewold - Speaker of House (69 votes)
4. Wro Shewaye Kiros - Deputy Speaker of House (106 votes)
5. Ato Anteneh Mulugeta - Secretary (74 votes)

The elections were conducted in a very democratic and transparent manner. All those present were very joyous both in the process and outcome of the election. Many said it is a very exemplary work and wished the same would happen in the other forums of the country’s government.

After the official announcement of the election, Dr. Berhanu Nega, the newly elected Mayor, made a remarkable speech in which he stressed the active participation of the residents is of great importance not only in appreciating the goods but also criticizing when they do wrong. Issues of importance in the city government according to Berhanu will be governance and economic development. He stressed problems of unemployment and HIV/AIDS as core issues to be addressed. His speech was accompanied by a huge round of applause from the electing and non electing audience.

Elsa:
When I read this, I can not believe this is actually happening. The fact that we have an island of truly Ethiopian government in Addis is the sea of Woyane repression is going to be the test of the ability of the people of Addis. At the end of the day, it is the people and the people alone who are the makers of history. I am 100% confident, there is going to be massive participation by the people in terms of finance, labor, organization, volunterism, and security to eradicate poverty, aids, drug abuse, prostitution, clean up the city, build it and beautify it so as to make it a capital city worthy of a historic nation - Ethiopia. Addis Abeba's moment has arrived. Wait and see!

Mr Zemariam:

The Ethiopian people have voted out Woyane. The opposition has won the national election. It is between the people and the opposition to decide where to join or where to refuse. As for the Ethiopian people, Woyane rules by force and in violation of their decision. The day will come to set that right. Ditto.

Askale Dama!

You are not in real world.

Mr. Zemariam:

Why don't you tell the world what is not real? Is Mayor Berhanu not a reality? Is the EU report not a reality?

The people have banished the fascist woyane regime at the polls. Zenawi and his henchmen should not be allowed to continue to murder and intimidate our people. One man one vote, the Ethiopian people have won the election fairly and squarely and they should form their government.The role of the Opposition parties should be to lead the victorious Ethiopian people to form their own government
Despite what the woyane cadres say, no body in their right minds would vote for tyrants who sustain their power by murder, intimidation, detention and divide and rule.

Dear Gebreselassie Zemariam::: It is not up to Woyane, it is not up to the pseudo Election board and it is not up to specially ....I am saying here again SPECIALLY....not up to..those HODAM CADRES, DEPENDANT ON 'TIRIFRAFIS",,,,to decide the will of the people. IT IS UP TO THE GREAT ETHIOPIAN PEOPLE, to decide and to elect their mayor!! And they have chosen one:: Dr. Berhanu Nega. Trust the people!! they know what they are asking for. May God bless the Great Ethiopia and its people!!!

Dr. Berhanu will make a great mayor, he has got what it takes to be a great mayor. An education, experience, wisdom, fear of God, and thank God he is a guy who said no: to being boxed in an "ethnic box". May God bless him. I hope and pray the Great Addis Ababa will remain to be a model city, to reflect the great truth. A truth that says as follows: People are individuals. They don't deserve to be placed in the "ethnic boxes". People are created with free will, to be themselves...to represent nobody but themselves. It is our individual right, not the collective right that enable us to seek the truth, to stand up for all mankind. A person should never and NEVER,,, carries an ID that shows his/her ethnic heritage. Such a low description of a person. A person is better than that!!! I hope and pray to see, people in Addis to carry an ID...that shows no ethnic heritage. That will be a day to celebrate!!! We have to denounce ethnic mentality!!!

Moderator,
This looser,Solomon needs to be banned.

LET ME HEAR MORE COMMENTS TO MY AMUSMENT.

Accoring to Ethiomedia.com report,

"The Coalition for Unity and Democracy (CUD) has elected Dr. Berhanu Nega mayor of Addis Ababa. CUD has accused the ruling party of widespread election fraud, and the warning to boycott the Meles parliament is still active."

My question here is how will CUD be able to adminstor Addis while boycotting the Ethiopian parliament? This is unacceptable. Any idea in your part?

Selam all,

Can someone explain it to me as to why Wro Shewaye Kiros became the Deputy Speaker of the House while she got more votes than Ato Assefa HabteWold?

Thank you in advance,
Yebret qolo

3. Ato Assefa Habtewold - Speaker of House (69 votes)
4. Wro Shewaye Kiros - Deputy Speaker of House (106 votes

Gebrelekuskus,

We have seen your first posting and question. We are ignoring you. Why cannot you get that. We know the answer to your stupid question, but we will not respond to morally corrupt and intellectually challenged tribal bandits such as your self. Our apologies.

Ankasa Doro aka
Mamo Qilo aka
etc

Yebret Qolo,

The votes indicated are for that particular seat.

Ze Abyssinian, thanks for your response.

If I am not mistaken, only one round of vote took place. Then they were designated to all five positions according to the number votes they got. So my question is, if it is not a typo error, why would she be deputy when she got more votes than Ato Assefa.

Thanks,
Yebret Qolo

You see guys, you don't even know how CUD works. You can't even answer my question. This time if it was about defamation of personalities, I would get hundreds of answers.

Yebert Qolo,

For each position to be voted on, there were several cadidates to compete or to chose from.

The 138 council members of Addis Ababa can vote for one person at each position.
(Each council member puts one name at each position and whoever gets the highest vote becomes the winner)
Mayor
Deputy Mayor
Council Secretary
Speaker
Deputy Speaker

So, Dr. Berhanu got 123 votes out of the possible 138 votes to the mayoral position.
In the case of the speaker of the house the person who is elected has got 69 votes while the other candidates for the position got less than 69.

I hope this will help some.

Thank you Haile.

SAY-NO-TO-HATERED
Why are you obsessed with HODE and Tirifrafi? Are yoiu by any chance a DEBIR ALEQA?

Email: Hailu123@aol.com

Hailegnaw:

May God bless the Great Ethiopia!

Say no to hater,do not worry bout this woyane cadres they know that thier days are numbered.Period may the rotten woyane,ungratefull,selling Ethiopia on day light,unfortunate beggers(Gondar has them by thousands selling kesseles)ungratefulls.

Email: DillingerJ1@aol.com

City: DC

Dear Dillinger;:: Greetings to you my compatriot, may God bless you. I thank you for your support. You are absolutely right, their days are numbered. I called them Hodams (aka Tirifrafi Lekamis), whatelse should we call them? Once we notified them as HODAMS AKA TIRIFRAFI LEKAMIS,,there is no need to continue dialoguing with them, for they are not using their brains, but their stomachs. Just two weeks ago, I have witnessed a teengaer confronting his own dad, asking him "Dad, why are you so selfish?" continued asking more questions "How come X's dad spending his time and energy to help those less fortune?" and concluded his statement "I wish I had a dad like that". What I am trying to share is, it is up to each of us (peace loving people) to plant those kind of good thoughts and messages, in the minds of the new genarations, so they will confront their Hodam parents. Thank God, to the computer technology, it is not that hard to teach kids, good lessons. It could be done!!! May God bless all children, they don't deserve those Hodam parents! May God bless the Great Ethiopia, and its people.

Again, it is not up to Woyane, it is not up to the pseudo election board, and most of all it is not up to those HODAM CADRES, AKA TIRIFRAFI LEKAMIS, to decide the Great Ethiopian people's voice.

Dillinger]1,
I know you mean well. But it seems you are the only one mentioning or exposing which part you are from, while others are supporting the opposition party without telling which province they are from. I have a feeling you are young and naïve or Woyane. Please don’t take this the wrong way. I just want you to be wiser.

Yage,i'm a wise man and you a woyane cadre.As for me from Gonder and Ethiopian you come and find out its true,ate Tewodros put biggest gun at Meqdela.Yage who built the biggest gun at Meqdela?

Email: DillingerJ1@aol.com

City: DC

Re: Re: Birhanu Nega - mayor of Addis

We know that Birhanu Nega is not mayor of Addis so,please dont make any **** things ok.......

Email: gechhero@yahoo.com

City: mekelle