Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Discuss UEDF agenda proposal

Elias,
You are certainly a mixed bag - just as the daily changing events of Ethiopia. You have immensely contributed, through active and instant proposals, to the struggle of our compatriots. You need to be commended on your role. In the same breath you are capable of coming up with half baked, knee jerk reactions with no considerations of the consequences. Example of the latter could be your premature condemnation of Berhanu Nega, ignoring the views of Hibret in most of you overages, etc. Your latest bungle is your comment regarding the agenda proposal for UEDF meeting in USA. You have belittled the proposed Government of National Unity as an obsession and unworkable. Please, Elias, tell us how and why. What is your alternative? Please understand that Ethiopia's intrinsic social, political and above all economic woes can not be solved overnight,or your suggestions of spontaneous upraisals - whose outcome is not guaranteed to lead to a semblance of victory. Why do you oppose to a patient but assured avenues to success.
Just my thoughts,
Sewenet

Email: hiwot@optusnet.com.au

City: Melbourne

Re: Discuss UEDF agenda proposal

Gobena, yergo zenb, wipe you fingers before you hit the keys.

Email: hiwot@optusnet.com.au

City: Melbourne

Gobena:
Your mind is so twisted with hate you cannot even see straight. You have become a slave to Lucifer. You blame Amharas for all the killings Meles has committed. You are scared to death to blame someone who was not at the crime seen. By repeating the same message you think someone will believe you. You are fooling yourselves. Your desperation is clear. You will never live in peace. You have to pay for your crime. I happen to be half Tigraye and half Amhara. I will never forgive or forget for what you have done to innocent people. You have brought shame and disgrace to all of us.

Selam Sewenet

If CUD has any viable political future, it is only when it stays away from UEDF. CUD damaged its diplomatic and political standing by changing course in mid-air.

In my humble opinion, UEDF would soon become just like its forerunners: CODEF and Alternative Forces. When Dr. Merrara and Dr. Beyene say “enough is enough” so goes UEDF.

On the other hand, CUD would recover from its damage and reclaim its potential to challenge EPRDF as an alternative party. That would happen, I think, if CUD:
- merges as a national party
- stays focused for the rule of law
- governs Addis as corruption free zone
- fights for justice for all
- fights for, and practices transparency

Speaking of the moderator, I thought he recognized the pitfall associated with NUG before anybody else. I only resented his editorial position for singling out Dr. Brehanu and depicted him as “loose cannon” within CUD.

In any case, congratulations are in order to Dr. Brehanu Nega and the rest of the Executive Council members.

With Love.

Sewent,

Right after the May 15 vote, the CUD leaders announced that if the EPRDF and the Election Board do not respect the people's choice, CUD will organize general strikes, peaceful demonstrations, and other popular actions. They should stick with this plan. What CUD had been advocating until recently was the formation of an indepedent investigative pannel composed of all the parties, the election board and international observers. This pannel would investigate the complaints in all the 299 constituencies and make determinations as to where reelections are needed. Unfortunately, this position was arbitraly put aside by a few individuals in the CUD council and these individuals signed an agreement with the EPRDF and the Election Board authorizing the Board the final say in which constituencies revotes will be conducted, thus practically handing over victory to the EPRDF. The same people who signed these agreement, without the approval of the chairman of CUD and the council, are now praised as the most smart people in CUD. But I'm sure history will harshly judge this agreement as an agreement that have sold out the people's vote. The solution now is going back to the basic, ie., popular actions to have the people vote respected.

Yilma,

In your post regarding UEDF agenda proposal, you wrote:

"If CUD has any viable political future, it is only when it stays away from UEDF. CUD damaged its diplomatic and political standing by changing course in mid-air."

I strongly disagree with your opinion. I think CUD made a wise decision when it decided to work with UEDF. We should stop hating one another. Working together has several advantages.By doing so they can mobilize the people for the common cause against Woyane.By working together, they have become more stronger. They got more attention both from the ruling party and the diplomatic community.

You also wrote:

"In my humble opinion, UEDF would soon become just like its forerunners: CODEF and Alternative Forces.

That might be your dream. UEDF is stronger than what you think. We didn't hear anything within the last two years from UEDF while we hear so many conflicts within CUD. Anyway, time will tell.

You also attempted to defend the moderator. The only opinion I would agree with you is that when you condemen the moderator for misinforming us about "Dr. Berhanu". Time proved that Dr. Berhanu was right while the moderator and Ato Lidetu were wrong.

Nestanet

Netsanet,

I tried to thoroughly investigate what had transpired regarding the way the power sharing proposal released under CUD's name. Lidetu and the moderator were right that the proposal had not been approved by the CUD council before it was released. Even Berhanu admitted that only four people saw the proposal before he released it in the name of CUD. His explanation was that there are spies inside the CUD council, so important decisions are handled by only four individuals. When Berhanu was confronted by Lidetu, his allies scrambled to get the approval of the full council in an attempt to cover up his blunder. This is history now, but do not re-write history. I suggest that ER prepare an investigative report on this matter after interviewing all sides. Becasue Berhanu and allies are trying to taint the excellent reputation of Lidetu and ER by spreading false stories in order to cover up for Berhanu.

Dan,

I didn't see any problem with ER and Lidetu until this story broke out. Politically,I agree with most of the political stands of Lidetu and ER than Berhanu. I really do not understand some of his political stands such as going to parliament, going to court,etc.

But I don't think both ER and Lidetu handeled the news of Unity governement in the right way. To the best interest of the organization, they should have kept it inside the organization. I think that was a big mistake. Lidetu should have called for a CUD meeting and clear the matter before releasing out the difference to the public. The difference between the Lidetu and Berhanu was distributed both for the supporters and the enemy at the same time. ER even extended this further and orchesterated "the Berhanu has to go" slogan. Now,Berhanu has become Mayor of Addis and they have to work together.ER was quick for judgement. If ER noticed anything, being a major supporter of CUD,he should addressed the issue to the leadership of CUD. But CUD need to watch out for Berhanu. For me, some of Berhanu's political stands support Woyane. He wants to be smooth but opposing.It doesn't work with Woyane. It might work in the western world not in Ethiopia.

Nestanet

Yilma, I don't understand the basis of your statement that CUD should stay away from UEDF. I think CUD should ally with the UEDF where possible for the following reasons:

1. It seems to me that the UEDF has significant support in Ethiopia. It wouldn't surprise me if UEDF could win 80-100 seats in a fair election.
2. Though their platforms differ, I think they agree on a lot and they both want democracy, unlike the EPRDF. So for CUD to work with them makes CUD look inclusive and like statesmen.
3. To me, UEDF = ONC+SEPDC and that's about it. So working with UEDF really means working with ONC and SEPDC. If Merara and Beyene ever decide for some reason to leave, then the UEDF becomes a weak diaspora party.

Email: a@b.com

I may be wrong here, but I see the moderator and forum participants stating their positions on whether the opposition should accept the results of the election or reject them but keep their gains or reject them and stay out of Addis and parliament, whether to stage demonstrations, and so on.

However, all I see are statements and no supporting arguments. How can there be a discussion without point and counter point?

My two cents is that at this moment, the opposition should prepare keep its gains, reject the results it's not happy with, and if this is not possible, reject the results and stay out of Addis and the parliament, and if possible, stage some demonstrations.

My main argument for this position is that for the last couple of months, the EPRDF has taken a strong totalitarian turn in its actions and rhetoric. Moving Oromia HQ to Addis, emasculating Addis and the parliament of powers, rigging the election investigation to rob the opposition of even more seats, shutting off the media from the opposition and using the media for inflammatory and threatening rhetoric, and so on.

Further, these actions were unnecessary on the part of the EPRDF. It could have engineered (rigged) an easy 60% majority and governed comfortably for five more years. In my opinion, in this situation, the opposition would have had to, having registered protests, sit in parliament and work on strengthening itself for the future. Instead, the EPRDF decided that this would not be enough, and that it should 'show who's boss'. A very childish and irresponsible course of action.

This reversal of the democratic trend cannot be ignored. It must be punished. The only way to punish the EPRDF is by not allowing the EPRDF and donor community the 'image' of democracy they so badly want for Ethiopia and that they worked for so many months expending plenty of resources to get.

Now, are demonstrations necessary? Well, they would be good if the opposition is capable of holding peaceful and organized demonstrations. Are they capable? It's a question only those on the ground can answer, and even still perhaps not fully answer. But even without major demonstrations, a boycott of parliament by itself will be a big blow to the EPRDF and donors.

But in the final analysis, the opposition sitting in Ethiopia know the situation and all the variables far better me. This is a complex strategy game they are engaged in, and I defer to their judgement unless I have clear arguments suggesting they are wrong. And so far, I don't have any clear arguments to suggest that any of their actions to date have been wrong.

An addendum:

Two events that I regret in this whole process is 1) The EPRDF's totalitarian turn that I mentioned above, and 2) The demonstrations on June 8. I believe the demonstrations were ill-timed, and would have been much better AFTER the election investigations were completed and perhaps the EPRDF would have removed the state of emergency. Instead, the EPRDF knew well in advance what would happen, and had their whole defence package, including all the PR about orange and rose ready ahead of time. After the demonstrations, donors who were making statements about election irregularities suddenly changed tack and started giving the old 'both sides' line. Both sides should refrain from violence and so on. This ate away a large chunk of the opposition's diplomatic capital and forced it to go into the investigation process on the back foot.

Email: a@b.com

Selam Hirna

You summed up what UEDF is all about: Dr. Merrara + Dr. Beyen

With Love

Yilma,

Your last conclusion is totally WRONG.

Nestanet

Selam Netsanet

That conclusion was Hirna's, which I agreed with. Also please note that every vote earned under UEDF column came from Dr. Merra and Dr. Beyene parties. I hope that should tell you something about UEDF. Let me add another fact: Addis residents rejected UEDF the same way they rejected EPRDF. What does these mean? Well, I will leave it to your good judgment.

With love!

Please do not drive a wedge between CUD and UEDF as they are the only two forces that stand a good chance of dislodging TPLF from power.Look at their personalities:they are mature,educated and dedicated Ethiopians.If anything,we should advocate for their unification.
Their aspiration is to serve Ethiopians impartially according to internationally accepted codes of conduct and laws,not to rob the country to the benefit of a segment of the population.

Email: zghiwet@yahoo.ca

Yilma,

You wrote:

"Addis residents rejected UEDF the same way they rejected EPRDF. What does these mean? Well, I will leave it to your good judgment."

If we really want to tell the truth, UEDF didn't present many representatives in Addis. It focussed mainly on the regions. Besides that it worked with less than half of its power while most of its member are outside the country.

We all agree that the May Ethiopian election was a PROTEST VOTE. Ethiopian people were tired of Woyane and elected the opposition.That is all. As you might remember, the oppositions didn't have the time and the resource to introduce their political program.Moreover the leadership capacity of those in the opposition were not really evaluated. For example, CUD was formed four or five months before the election.The fact that CUD got more votes in Addis doesn't mean that the people agreed with CUD'S political program and the leadership capacity of the representatives.

Nestanet

Yilma is trying to divide the opposition.

Tengara Gundan aka
Ankasa Doro aka
Mamo Qilo

Z,

Bravo Z. I wish Ethiopia has few of you not like....on this forum.

CUD=Comrades Under Derge

UEDF=United Elites Deception Front

Gebre,

SILLY. IS THIS THE WAY YOU BRING RECONCILLATION?

NESTANET