Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BBC'’s missed point

Aug. 19, 2005

BBC’s recent “hardtalk” interview of Prime Minister Melles has been much touted and a subject of hot discussion within Ethiopia and the diaspora community. The BBC interviewer’s searching and incisive questioning and the revealing responses, albeit with a bit of discomfort at times, by the Prime Minister were quite remarkable.

Although the experienced and sharp interviewer was able to slice through the Prime Minister’s attempts at covering the truth such as the important point as to who appointed the Ethiopian Election Board, he was nevertheless hoodwinked on one extremely important point. The wily Prime Minister was able to get away with his deliberate disinformation that it was due to a justified police action that 36 people were killed on June 8. Though the BBC interviewer did attempt in vain to elicit an apology from the arrogant Prime Minister for the death of the peaceful protesters, he failed to raise any question as to whether the perpetrators of the killing were actually members of the Ethiopian police force.

The fact of the matter was that the June 8 massacre in Addis Ababa was perpetrated, not by the Ethiopian police, but by the murderous commando force known as Agazi. This commando force was brought into Addis Ababa a few days earlier on the orders of the Prime Minister with the obvious purpose of doing what it did. The evidence for this conclusion is the statement by the Chief of Police, Col. Workneh Gebeyehu, who declared shortly after the eventful date that the loss of life was due to the use of a force that had no police skills. In effect, what the Prime Minister did was to deploy a murderous army without any policing capacity against his own people in Addis Ababa most probably because his front suffered such a humiliating election defeat!

Another important point is the fact that the Government had a hand in giving rise to the June 8 protests. Student arrests were conducted at the Addis university on the night of June 7, which triggered an unexpected wider protest that led to the killing of over 36 people.

The full facts of the matter would have been revealed if Ethiopia had a responsible government. The Prime Minister’s promise to establish an independent commission to investigate the important issue has yet to take place. Considering the Prime Minister’s personal responsibility in the matter, such an investigation by a truly independent commission will obviously not be feasible at this stage. But it shall not be forgotten!

Re: BBC'’s missed point

Ato Bereket's absence from public view is feeding the rumor mill. Stories range from medical treatment abroad, to assassination. MAY GOD MAKE IT true!!

Email: btworkie2003@yahoo.com

City: Stuttgart

If realy Bereket died Ethiopia realy missed one big intelectual. Ethiopia can't afford to get some one in his place as information minister. heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Email: kabila@yahoo.com

Who really cares about Bereket Simeon's whereabouts. He is an incarnation of a wild beast, who deserves to live with the animal kingdom of his own type. He is a cancer to the Ethiopian society, and needs to be cut off once and for all.

Email: shimelesw@hotmail.com

City: Independence

All I can say is that I believe in divine intervention. True or not his place in hell.

If it is true—It is a real judgment on earth. I never wish death on any body because all of us eventually die. But in this case to the people who have brought too much misery to the poor parents in Ethiopia by putting bullets in their children's heads for exercising their rights in their own country need to get same treatment or worse. Bereket Simon needs to be hung in the middle of Merkato. If it is true, who ever did it deserve a purple heart. (What ever is the most worthy medal in Ethiopia)

Shimelles is right,

This arrogant, propoganda, misinofrmation minister should have gone long, long time ago to his own jungle, where he belongs too.

Who cares whether he is alive or not.
True, he should be hunged in Merkato that is a perfect idea.

Is that not this man who is agitating Tigreans to rise up againist their other Ethiopians, specilly on Amharas, Gurages, Oromos, etc...?
I pray to the Almithy God to erase this edit and arogant Esayas's plant by its super power. If not trust me, my self or any other colleage of Tigrean bangard shall iliminate him soon together with his sebordinates & clues.

I am totally annoyd with every thing being done by Meles & company against the CUD and EDUF. I do understand that it is the sole responsibility of the people to bring down this criminal group as they are the one who put them on power.

Victory for CUD & EDUF.
God bless Ethiopia.

Berhe, Mekele

Email: berhe97@yahoo.com

City: mekele