Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Opposition parties seek injunction in Sunday polls

ADDIS ABABA, 19 August (IRIN) - Ethiopia's main opposition began legal action on Friday against the election board to suspend re-runs of polls in 31 constituencies, officials said.

The vice chairman of the Coalition for Unity and Democracy, Berhanu Nega, said lawyers had filed an injunction at the federal high court to halt the poll. They want the re-elections -scheduled for Sunday - to be put on hold until they have seen documents from the election board explaining why re-runs are taking place.

Twenty of the re-elections came as a result of complaints made by Prime Minister Meles Zenawi's ruling Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF), while the remaining 11 were due to complaints by opposition parties.

Ethiopia's national election has been mired in allegations of fraud since the country went to the polls on 15 May. According to human rights groups, security forces gunned down at least 40 people involved in demonstrations against alleged electoral fraud.

The ruling EPRDF won 296 seats in the 547-member body, and its allied parties won 22 seats. The opposition won 161 seats, up from just 12 in the preceding parliament.

The deputy head of the election board, Tesfaye Mengesha, said the board was prepared to release details on why re-runs were being held.

"The election board had to decide on the decision of the complaints panel following investigations," he said. "At that time we were working on the documents so we could not release them."

"The board has now decided to hold re-runs based on those investigations and now we are ready to give them any document on the investigations and why we are having re-elections," he added.

Meanwhile, the Ethiopian Human Rights Council has called for compensation to be paid to the families of victims allegedly killed by security forces during post-election protests.

The executive secretary of the independent council, Adam Melaku, also said they now had evidence that 42 people were killed by security forces during the protests. The government has put the death toll at 26.

"These families should receive financial compensation from the government because the security forces have acted illegally," he said.

Re: Opposition parties seek injunction in Sunday polls

Selam to all

I think CUD did the right thing and perhaps the first footstep in the right direction since the transitional government fiasco.

With Love!

I'm confused.

Desta!

Don't get confused!

While the legal action against the Election Board seems to be excercising their constitutional and legal rights, what is worrying is the President of NEBE and the President of the High Court is the same person called Kemal Bediri. I don't see any justice for Ethiopian people unless Kemal Bedri who is the chief of Woyane and also the right hand of Meles and Bereker is still in power.

Email: ab89891@yahoo.co.uk

City: LONDON

I'm confuse too...the opposition rather beg the US for understanding than going to court!
"Wuha kida Wuha Melis" hone negeru endee...
Birhanu nega...you should of woke up by now, you tried that before for the NEB investigation and turned up 0 and now the same thing again..what do you expect to get??? you are only falling to the government trap. I rest my case!

with Love and Peace

Email: asa@hotmail.com

City: mekkele

We heard the chairman and other CUD leaders saying they will not go to court, but to day we read Berhanu talking filing law suit in court. Could some body explain to me what is going on here please?

Efrem:

I wish I knew what is going on at home. I thought I heard that the CUD chair-person saying, that they were not considering court proceeding. But, now it appears that CUD is going to the court.

Could this be a change of strategy or lapse of my memory?

May be Elias can find out what is going on.

Dear Elias: Is there any chance for you to find out what this court case is all about? When you interviewed Ato Hailu last time, didn't he say that legal proceeding would not be an alternative?

If there is a change, then it would be great to inform the public as to why CUD adopted this route. Inconsistency can undermine faith if it not followed by a proper explanation. For that matter CUD's decision can also be correct, as I don't have the full information to base my decision.

I am not complaining nor blaming, but this is just food for thought.

Thanks.

Email: b159jit@sbcglobal.net

City: berkeley

I think CUD is making the write choise. I have no confidence on the court. But is is the golden opportunity to show the world that nothing is free from EPRDF.

I wish GOD solve all of our problems.

GOD bless you all!

GOD Bless Ethiopia!!!!

Email: dadidan@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

OK, let them exhaust all the steps and show the world the naked injustice in this country. Look, we have to remember that the country is ruled by the gun. The oppositions dont have the gun. The one who has the gun will do more injustice. So, based on the gun capacity of the contending parties, this is how it would go as long as a nation is ruled at gun point. We know such a thing cannot happen in America or Europe, but here, this is just part of the procedure. Acceptable loss. Americans and Europe also have already graded us, lower quality democracy for us as long as they continue thier love affair with Meles. Democracy has levels.

So I am not strongly against it. This will be shame to America too. The whole wold now knows the regime has rigged polls. The way it is done is also dead wrong. This one is one more justification for its nakedness.

Email: abathun@yahoo.com

City: BD

Desta,AB,Bekkan
you seem to be confused on this matter recommend you to listen VOA and German radio on line, as a lot been said on that.

Email: destian@ethionet.et

City: addis ababa

Yilma,

Yes it is a step in the right direction. Your are in the wrong, if your wish is for them to join as a minority party. You are known TPLF closet scholar. You are a bit more seasoned that Gebremenamin, but still you are a member of the tribal looting gang.

Mamo QIlo

Email: mamoqilo@yahoo.com

City: Virginia Beach, Virginia

why you are confussed.it is not for the first time we hear confussing stories from CUD.do not forget CUd is an organization created only less than a year ago. the leaders are also totally of a diffrent background.i can not imagin how Hiylu shawel and Dr birhanu nega communicate each other.i know hiylu sheawel very well he is one of the most arogant guys i know.i hate to be an ethiopia when i heard him saying 'we ethiopians have to face' inBBC hard talk program. i am expecting thousads of disappointment by this guy.he has to be out of ethiopian politics

Email: bdesalegnb@yahoo.com

City: addis