Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interview with Congressman Chris Smith

ADDIS ABABA, 17 Aug 2005 (IRIN) - United States Congressman Chris Smith has spent four days in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, holding high-level talks with government and opposition leaders regarding the recently concluded parliamentary elections.

In an interview with IRIN on Tuesday in Addis Ababa, Smith, who is the chairman of the US House of Representatives sub-committee on Africa, discussed the disputed 15 May elections. Below are excerpts:

QUESTION: Why is America concerned about elections and election results in Ethiopia?

ANSWER: We have a generic concern about democracy and free and fair elections everywhere, particularly in fledgling democracies, trying to ensure there are poll watchers - people who can judge whether or not it is free and fair - in sufficient numbers to do so.

The people of Ethiopia, no less than anybody else in the world, deserve to have their ballot counted and not be subject to being defrauded, which is why we looked at the elections here with such scrutiny. This is why we are awaiting final reports from the European Union and others as to what they found here and whether it was totally free and fair and the like.

Q: What is your feeling? Would you describe the elections as free and fair?

A: I don't think I have the competency, not having been here before the elections and on election day to make a conclusion, but only to react to what others who are on the ground say. I think there were flaws - based on observation experts - the extent of it though is still [awaiting] the report to be rendered and all of us need to hold back somewhat until we get the full picture. There are problems, there is no election in the world that is flawless, but it is a matter of degrees.

Q: What are the degrees here, what are the concerns?

A: There were concerns about intimidation of voters and candidates, and that is probably at the top of the list. The other concern is the fear - real or imagined - of retaliations that happen weeks or months after the fact and that can have a chilling effect on the elections.

Q: What should voters or opposition officials do if there are claims of election abuse?

A: I think what the final report says will make a difference. The opposition have seen their minority grow very significantly; they had only 12 seats in 2000 and that is a significant victory for the multiparty system.

Q: Do you think the way the elections have gone, and the killings, have tarnished the image of Ethiopia and its relations with the US?

A: The killings have put an already questionable election in further light and scrutiny. For many Americans and many members of Congress, the fact that there are many issues grabbing for attention, the slaughter of three-dozen people all of a sudden raises 'what is this all about'?

It almost caused a rubberneck effect, like when you see an accident on the road. The election was getting some attention, but it was not getting much attention until the killing of all those people. From [UN Secretary General] Kofi Annan to [US] President [George] Bush to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, to many members of congress, we have all called for an aggressive, absolutely transparent investigation and to hold those individuals to account for all those killings, and that hasn't happened yet.

I raised that directly with [Ethiopian] Prime Minister Meles [Zenawi]. As each day goes by we become more sceptical that an honest investigation can be undertaken and part of the reason is that you also tend to lose evidence and memories fade.

Q: Are you putting pressure on the government or opposition to sort out these problems? Ethiopia is a key ally in the US war on terror - isn't that more important than rocking the boat?

A: Like other governments in the world, we have an honest and frank discussion and we did. In every conversation it has been very frank that we want truth and transparency. I haven't minced my words whatsoever. I also met with the opposition leaders and, for whatever it was worth, suggested they ought to join the parliament. To leave those seats vacant I think would disenfranchise the very voters who put them there.

Having said that, it doesn't mean I am enamoured with the election process. I have been criticising it, as have other people. I read some of the press that has been coming out, which says I have been siding with the government - I am not. I am saying we do not pick sides as American politicians and nor should we. We say we want the institutions and the processes to be above board and clean and there are egregious points here that need to be remedied.

Q: And the threat of renewed election-related violence?

A: However flawed the elections might be, violence is not the answer and that is something I have said to everybody. That will facilitate nothing but more death.

That also goes for the border dispute with Eritrea, we have been trying to press that issue because we are very concerned that could [lead] to a large loss of life. You not only lose life but there is a diversion of scarce humanitarian resources so people who are indirectly related to the conflict end up losing.

Q: When you return to the US, what will your message be?

A: I will brief the speaker [of the House of Representatives], I will call Condoleezza Rice and speak to several assistant secretaries when I get back. The message will be that we need to keep the pressure on the government.

Friends don't let friends commit human rights abuses. Part of my message - verbatim - was: "Ease up on the opposition. Stop following them, stop intimidating individuals who are supporters." I said that eyeball-to-eyeball, which is the message that needs to be conveyed.

We want this government to respect the dignity of these individuals who are in opposition. Nobody in politics likes an opponent, but that is part of the price of democracy, even if an opponent takes your seat or your prime minister-ship, which is the cost of democracy. It is not holding power at all costs; otherwise the people are ill served. That is what I will be going back and saying.

[ENDS]

Re: Interview with Congressman Chris Smith

Congressman Smith does appear to be someone who does not mince his words. If he can say that to an IRIN interview, you can imagine what he would say to Congress which already has sent strong condemnation of the abuses by the Meles regime.

Perhaps the endgame for Meles appears to be in sight. The honesty and candidness of Congressman Smith would very likely rub off on the International Observer Team lead by who, Ana Gobez [of course Gomez], and you can imagine what the statement would be coming from that quarter. Already I am reading on Asqual that Meles has began to warn the Ambassadors Group not to interfer in the internal affairs of Ethiopia. He may turn to China, but China would not want to deal with such an unpopular regime and is very likely to advise him that he should make peace with his people.

Thanks ER for continuing to put pressure on this tyrannical regime. Keep up the good work and the end of the goons is not very far.

Minyaregal

It,s too late forget Europeans/and the dollar chasers(USA. They don't care about Ethiopia. They want The tyrant to stay in power. Who cares! leave the Ethiopian ppl alone. you have betrayed us.
Who cares...we are tired of you.
Bilibila

I do not agree with Mr. Smith's answer to the question:
Q: What should voters or opposition officials do if there are claims of election abuse?

A: I think what the final report says will make a difference. The opposition have seen their minority grow very significantly; they had only 12 seats in 2000 and that is a significant victory for the multiparty system.

This is nonsense!! We can not give up our people's vote!!! It is stolen, we have to get it back!!

Email: aj@yahoo.com

City: Nashville

MELES ZENAWI AND HIS FELLOW AGAZZI(AGASSES) ERITREAN ARMY INCLUDING BEREKET SIMON(another eritrean) NEEDS TO LEAVE MY PEOPLE...LEAVE ETHIOPIA.

MR SMITH NEEDS TO KNOW THAT THESE PEOPLE ARE THE REASON WHY WE HAD A MASSACER IN ADDIS.THEY DON'T GIVE A DANM ABOUT ETHIOPIA.

TO MY FELLOW TIGREANS,DON'T BE FOOLED MY MELES AND BEREKE.WHO COOULD FORGET BADEME.WE COUOLD HAVE TAKE OUT SHABIA ONCE AND FOR ALL.MELES STOPED IT AND JAILED MANY TIGREANS.WE WONT FORGET.

WE SHALL OVERCOME

Email: chombe911@hotmail.com

I think his stands are not really bad. That is what a typical diplomat will say. We need to strengthen them by sending email letters with documents. Opposition leaders abroad need to keep in touch with him.

Nestanet

THANK YOU VERY MUCH MR.CHRIS SMITH. THIS IS WHAT MAKES THIS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA TRULY GREAT. IT IS ALWAYS JUST AND MORAL TO STAND UP FOR JUSTICE AND BASIC HUMAN DIGNITY ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD. THERE IS NO REASON WHAT SO EVER FOR THE ETHIOPIAN GOVERNMENT TO USE HEAVY WEAPONS ON INNOCENT UNARMED YOUTH ON JUNE 7,2005 IN ADDIS ABABA. THE TIGREAN LIBERATION FRONT, TPLF REGIME USED ITS OWN MILITIA, THE AGAZZI IN MASSACARING 42 INNOCENT PEOPLE. THE UNITED STATES SHOULD FORCE A NEUTRAL INVESTIGATION.

WE HOPE THERE WILL BE MORE CHRIS SMITHS IN THIS WORLD WHO WOULD STAND UP FOR HUMAN RIGHTS.

MAY GOD BLESS

SINCERELY,

MECHAL

He sounds good, if he keeps his words. we have to remember that this man is a diplomat and that is what we expect from a diplomat.

Email: getahun123@gmail.com

City: oslo

I appreciate congressman Chris for taking the time to look into Ethiopian's situation. Overall, the tone was good, in a sense; he seems to have gathered sufficient information in the past four days. Remember, no body wants to call the baby "UGLY". Everyone is waiting for the EU and The Carter Center to make the call and then jump on that wagon and make ramification. International pressure is essential but not critical. The pressure has to come in from within. As long as the pressure is strong from the opposition, then the international bodies listen or at a minimum want to save their face and then act accordingly.

A common theme that I see and not appreciative of, from the international community is that of the notion, just because the opposition had 12 seats in 2000 election, they tend to infer the current number of opposition seats in parliament should silence the opposition and fully abide by the NEBE results. If it is WRONG it is WRONG, WRONG and WRONG.

Three WRONGS (losing election, killing civilians and forcing reelection) will not make it RIGHT!

Email: gobezg@yahoo.com

City: ATL

Thankyou congressman Mr.Chris Smith for taking your time to look into the Ethiopian situations.
PICTURE THIS;- He sounds ok; what matters in this election is not the notion that the oppositon had 12 seats in 2000 election but we have to respect people's vote.During his stay in Addis Iam sure he certainly observe that there is a sense of growing fear due to election fraude.What is to be done? Coalition government is the only option to avert election related danger.

Email: dahab@mts.net

City: Winnipeg

Why out sider talking about 12 seats and 174 seat? is it enough for democracy?I am so sorry...I thought they didn't understand ethiopian peaple or they just want a little bit change with eth.gov.not full change b/c of there own interest.We need a change and we gave our valuable vote to other parties.What I expect from the world is to respect and to keep from stolen the voters vote.Please opposition parties,Struggle for returning stolen vote not to add another seat in the paraliment.mobilize the peapople of ethiopia.We are ready to support you.don't down ward the peaples' struggle courage.please be unit and a v.good sruggle leader.I thought this is your time to get real support from eth.peaple.This is because the ethiopian peaple hates those "dureye" or lumpen leaders and needs peacefull transition period.we are expecting your words.

God bless ethiopia. and he will...,

Astewl

Email: eth_win@yahoo.com

City: Dessie

I like the Congressman's style. He really didn't mince his words. But, I wouldn't jump at praising the USA for being fair, balanced, etc. because their track record doesn't justify that.

What we know, we know: the opposition have won the elections. And the EU exit poll proves that; we had that information since the last 2 months!!

Now all eyes are on Ana Gomez. We say: Ana, we know you will not let us down.

Email: addisumaferia@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

Astewl,

What is your interest? What will be your support to the opposition? Is that sending few hurdreds of dollars or may be thousands?

If you are looking for the so-called "orange revolution", don't ever think of such revolution in Ethiopia.

The best thing for our nation is, now, to have civilized political dialogue.Hardline politics won't help anyone.We should avoid the politcs of the 1970's.If that come again, no doubt the opposition will be the first victims.

So, please avoid hate politics and promote dialogue.
Ali,

Email: alimodi_akrimodi@yahoo.com

Dear Members:
The congressman made a good point on the question of the institutions and the election process to be supported and mitigated the violence a la Negede;
however, he did not respond or ask the million dollars question. What will the opposition bring to Ethiopian if they are elected?
The answer is none except to dismantle the constitution and usher an era of war and force the people to leave their country. We are saying no to them.
In addition, he did not mention the majority of Ethiopian people namely the Oromo, Somalis, Afar and Gambelas while he is talking about domocracy and rule of law. If there is one man one vote, Oromo people will govern Ethiopia. He echoed the music of the northern which is to rule without any programme and not including the majority of Ethiopian people.

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

Ali,
You have said that " The best thing for our nation is, now, to have civilized political dialogue"

Would you please tell us, with whom we should dialogue ? On what issue we should talk ..? this "civilized political dialogue" of yours, does it include killing unarmed civilians....?

Ali, what ever your response for my QS it may be, I could see that you are one of the well paid tools of weyane ( hate to use the word cadres ).
You are here because you are instructed to be here, you said what u said because you are told to say so....., please leave Ethiopians alone. We have nothing to talk with u....killers! For your info We do not need to import any colour of while we are able to ..............our own way of revolution .
.....please open your eyes and try to see what the people doing ...... we are not in the "Let it be and life goes on.." mood. No more Killers, Period!! U and your Bosses should know that ...

ANDLENATU!!!

Ali,
You have said that " The best thing for our nation is, now, to have civilized political dialogue"

Would you please tell us, with whom we should dialogue ? On what issue we should talk ..? this "civilized political dialogue" of yours, does it include killing unarmed civilians....?

Ali, what ever your response for my QS it may be, I could see that you are one of the well paid tools of weyane ( hate to use the word cadres ).
You are here because you are instructed to be here, you said what u said because you are told to say so....., please leave Ethiopians alone. We have nothing to talk with u....killers! For your info We do not need to import any colour of revolution while we are able to ..............our own way of revolution .
.....please open your eyes and try to see what the people doing ...... we are not in the "Let it be and life goes on.." mood. No more Killers, Period!! U and your Bosses should know that ...

OneEthiopia.!!!

Ibrahim Shirdon,

What in the world are you talking about? Are you in the process of reversing history. When you say "What will the opposition bring to Ethiopian if they are elected?" Are you a Rip Van Winkle? The Opposition has been elected. Period. Berket and the likes might wish that this is just a bad dream. The question now is "Give the Opposition an opportunity to prove who they are. As the Ethiopian people have resoundingly said, "Woayne time is up. Go back to your home and do your homework. In the mean time let's see what the Opposition will do. We will give them about 5 years to see how they do. If they do good, another 5 years. If not, they will be thown out, exactly the way we are doing to you." That is what Ethiopians are saying 80-90% of them all over the country. Wake up Rip.

from my experience about american policy,it is very hard to trust them. Untill American backed third world bucher/s topled down by the forces the people,they never want displease their pupet

Email: tatek@keypoint.com.au

City: melbourne australia

from my experience about american policy,it is very hard to trust them. Untill American backed third world bucher/s topled down by the forces of the people,they never want to displease their pupet

Email: tatek@keypoint.com.au

City: melbourne australia

Thanks... one ethiopia.

I think he is one of woyanes' cadre.Ato Alli or "elli".I didn't talk about orange revolution.I don't want to talk Out sider revollution style.I am talking about democracy.80% of our peaples' very knew who they ellected or for whom the gave thier own vote.we need to respect those votes.And we will fight peacfully by oue real situation.By the way you did you know that real sad become strong solution

poor Alli, Please back to your peaple!!.Woyanes are real mafias regardles of the whole ethiopians knew what they are foolishly and animally doing

Ethiopian peaple win.
Could you think as a human being rather than a forest animal?

Email: eth_win@yahoo.com

City: Dessie

Astwel &one Ethiopia,

What a shamefull approach! You are so despotic. Why do you think any body should be paid or be woyane cadre to promote civilized dialogue?

I believe dialogue is more important to the opposition than to woyane. Do you think woyane will vanish because of your wishfull thinking. You have no idea what the Oromos, Somalis, Afar, Gambela, Tigray, all the rural people accross the nation think of the current situation. I know many are not happy with the EPRDF governance but they are more worried former dergue officials may tarnish the hitherto process.

The opposition are well aware that zero sum politics is now impossible. If they were preaching it in the diaspora, today they admit that it is impossible to see it at the ground.

Please, grow up zero sum politics will consume the opposition rather than the woyane.

Ali,

Email: alimodi_akrimodi@yahoo.com

congressman smith is to be commended as an observer
in his capacity he showed that the EPRDF with PM melese zenawi as it is leader will not deceive the international community as well as the distinguish member congressman smith
mr smith had quite a bit of information about the situation when he said stop harrassing & intimidating opposition leaders
i say mr smith is a friend to ethiopia and will never forget those who stands with ethiopia

as to my fellow ethiopian who wants the opposition to havea political dialoge perhaps you should watch PM
zenawi's remark of recent day's

Email: negashz7@rcn.com

City: chicago

Congress man said, the same as Tim Clark to media.

Look, how media is controlled by one 'propoganda minister from jungle, who doesn't learn at all, look they fabricate and broadcast what congress man hasn't said. SHAME, SHAME on them. chek this line.....

<<....Having said that, it doesn't mean I am enamoured with the election process. I have been criticising it, as have other people. I read some of the press that has been coming out, which says I have been siding with the government - I am not. I am saying we do not pick sides as American politicians and nor should we. We say we want the institutions and the processes to be above board and clean and there are egregious points here that need to be remedied.>>

Thank you Mr Smith.

tariku,
Why don’t you expose these liars? You should make a copy of the article and mail it to the congressman. Let him see how manipulative Meles is.