Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Germany, France, United States, Italy, Australia, Finland, Russia, Canada, Britain and Sweden

Nation obtains over 18 billion Birr loan, aid

Addis Ababa, August 16,2005-The Ministry of Finance and Economic Development (MoFED) said Ethiopia has obtained 18.13 billion Birr loan and aid during the past budget year which shows an over 50 percent increase from the 1996 EC budget year.

Ministry Public Relations Head, Getachew Admassu told ENA on Monday that the country has secured some 10.13 billion Birr of the loan and aid from multilateral organizations, and the balance from development partners.

According to the head, most of the loan and aid would be spent on agriculture and food security as well as capacity building, road, health, education and water sectors development and energy expansion projects.

Inflow of external resources has increased due to the right policies and strategies pursued by the government, Getachew said, adding donor countries provide loan and aid after evaluating government executions.

Italy, United States, Britain, Canada as well as the International Development Association, the African Development Bank, the International Agriculture Development Fund, the Arab Bank, the African Economic Development, the European Union and various organs of the United Nations were among countries and development partners that provided loans and aid during the reported period.

According to Getachew, in addition to the loan and aid secured during the budget year, the country has obtained debt relief amounting to 14.63 billion Birr.

He added the debt cancellation was signed with 10 Paris Club members.

Getachew said Germany, France, United States, Italy, Australia, Finland, Russia, Canada, Britain and Sweden were among countries that signed debt relief agreement with Ethiopia.

He added that other international development partners, including the African Development Bank, the African Development Fund, the European Investment Bank, the International Agriculture Development Fund and the Nordic Development Fund have also signed debt cancellation agreement with Ethiopia.

Moreover, the head said, the country has obtained a 729.5 million Birr debt reduction from multilateral financial institutions.

Economic development cooperation agreements are usually signed under a three to five years cooperation framework, Getachew said, adding, agreement executions are reached each year based on the overall agreement.

Accordingly, Getachew said, specific agreements are signed with nine donor governments in a bid to materialize a 2.6 billion Birr general agreement.

He said the agreement was signed with Sweden, Germany, China, Belgium, Italy and Austria.

According to the head based on previously reached agreements some 8.85 billion Birr was obtained from Multilateral Financial Institutions and development partner governments for on-going projects.

Re: Germany, France, United States, Italy, Australia, Finland, Russia, Canada, Britain and Sweden

gebremenamin,

Ethiopia has been getting billions of dollars. Where is the money going? Ethiopia's GDP per capita has gone down by 10% since TPLF took over in 1991. This is according to World Bank figures. Ethiopia's GDP per capita went from US$120 to US$110 or so.

Sorry for deflating your bubble!

Ankasa Doro

Re: Germany, France, United States, Italy, Australia, Finland, Russia, Canada, Britain and Sweden

I don't think you and your member of Yewashington Kimitiloch will be ever understand the whole situation.

Gebre Zeriam,

You are a committed serevant to Criminal TPLF cadres. It is sad to see a human being like you living a life working as slave to criminals. Your TPLF regime in Ethiopia is over. The punishment era in Ethiopia is over. Go back from where you came from and feel a bit human there.

Email: Gimma@hotmail.com

Succes in beggary, prelude to a "democratic election" show piece.

G/Minaminte,

I couldn't understand what propaganda purpose you/ETV or what ever source of TPLF/EPRDF propaganda outlets think it serves.

WE know that this regime is one which has enjoyed the highest aid in history of that country, yet the worst interms of achieving measurable economic progress. You have seen those figures above. The other socio economic indicators like health, unemployment rate are better not mentioned at all. Imagine inspite of all this aid, we are worse than where we have been. Why? How could we be proud when more than 40% of the governemnt budget is covered by aid? May be it is a good strategy to keep us teh worstof the worst to assure more humanitarian aid could flow.

Any way, Congratulations for your/our success in beggary. Very unfortunately, this "succes" was all that has brought the wrath EPRDF didn't expect. This "success in beggary" was what made them consider staging "democratic election", which turned out to be more than a demonstartion piece.

G/Minaminte, you need to do a better job.

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Gimma & Jadu!

I see your comment.

Dear Gebreselassie Zemariam:: Greetings to you!! First, when I looked at the title of this thread, I somehow, thought those listed countries are countries participated in extending congratulation message to PM Meles,for winning (forgive my laugh here) the May 2005 election. Well, fortunately I was wrong. Well the worst to come, the minute I got a chance to read your thread, I got depressed. Because, neither I nor my friends over here, could't figure this out::: What is the intention of the report? Is it to impress and/or to make us proud with a feeling how great we became with our begging skills??? Whatever answer you and/or the reporter to provide, it will never get clear. Since when, begging and/or to be a beggar is an act of great achievement of a leader??? The other thing is::::: whoever reported the news ..sounds in a great spirit about the content of the message...kind of advocating the spirit of begging.....here is a question for him/her: .....let's forget about the first point, for a while....and...can he/she tell us......where does the money go????.....Despite the fact Ethiopia is receiving.......that much monetary aids....CHILDREN..I am talking about children...still are not sure of their next meals. Why is that??????......please, could you ask the reporter?..since he/she sounds proud. with the report...how come...according, to Christiane Amanpour, of the CNN's reporter,, school attending children, either going to school on an empty stomach? Listen to this, please. When Christian Amanpour of the CNN, visited a school and asked chilren to raise hands if they ate three meals a day, no hands were raised,,,asked again to raise hands if they ate two meals/day....no hands were raised....but they laughed...and when she insisted to know why they laughed,,,the interpreter responded..."we are hungry". Well, Dear Gebreselassie Zemariam: two things to say and end my comments. Don't expect to find a single Ethiopian, to be proud of this news. Money earned by begging, won't lift up a spirit of a single Ethiopian, I know of. It embarrasses us. Ethiopians are known as a hard working people, not as a beggars. So news like this, embarrasses us, and not to make us proud at all!!! Second, where does the money go???? how come children are not sure of their next meals?? Someone has to answer this. May God bless you, regardless. May God bless the Great Ethiopia!!! It is so sad beyond words, to have a leader who is not ashamed of receiving monetary aids from year to year, without zero improvement in the country.