Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ethiopian politics

I am pleased to see all the emotional concern for ethiopia's fate, but disappointed with the focus and the distraction. We all want what is best for our country and our people, but the question arises of what is best? is protesting, or worse inciting people to protest best? what would it accomplish? a small group tried and a bunch of students died for it. and what was it for? another untested political group? does anybody know if the opposition is any good? Let's not forget 1974, when a large number of people celebrated the removal of the monarchy only to weep red tears for the following decade. my point is this. in ethiopia, as in any other country, people dont know how to best govern themselves as a whole, and worse, dont know how to judge people who do, until it is too late. so, instead of crying tears for something we dont know, we can spend half that energy to prevent the tears of a starving family, a disabled child, or an impoverished school. Do you know if each of us in the diaspora contributed what we spent on soda (an unnecessary, addictive and unhealthy drink) to Ethiopia that we could develop a full fledged hospital like none other in the country that could finance the care for more than 200 thousand people? Even more so, if you saved the money you spent on alcohol, on movies, on cigarettes, and all the useless, unhealthy additions in our materialistic society, that collectively we could develop self-sustaining farms that could feed the entire nation, revamp the medical system, provide HIV medication for the millions affected, etc? Not bragging, but i do my part as an individual, and i have no interest (though i used to when i was young and stupid) in the political affairs, of who did this, and who did that, and who should do what, and fighting for who i have no clue is worth anything. in the end of the day, it is always clear what you have accomplished: did you uplift this world or did you depress it. you make the choice.

Email: gedeclue@yahoo.com

City: los angeles

Re: ethiopian politics

Tewodros,

So your conclusion is let TPLF continue to loot. Let us roll over and allow them to continue to steal the vote of the people. Just imagine the kind of morons who are supporting TPLF. What was the purpose of democratic election if they are allowed to loot the vote, like they are looting money?

Mamo Qilo

So Likelkawint Tewodros says:
"my point is this. in ethiopia, as in any other country, people dont know how to best govern themselves as a whole, and worse, dont know how to judge people who do, until it is too late. so, instead of crying tears for something we dont know, we can spend half that energy to prevent the tears of a starving family, a disabled child, or an impoverished school."

What he did n't say but made it abundantly clear: Meles and chronies know how to govern the people so much so that OUr Duty according to Likelikawint is to give "AID/Cherota" and people's duty is to accept hand outs. It doesn't even matter whether there they are fair enough in distributing teh cherota properly or make the cherota impossible or difficult. For him, one can't even dream to coem of out of Chirota mentality which is at the

My Lik, According to the current defnition
poverty is not lack of resources: money, skill, material etc it is rather the lack of empowerement to utilize these resources (what ever they may be) in order to improve one's life. At the root of this principle lies good governance as a means of empowerement of the people. If you don't empower the poor, you can't achieve any thing. The first step of empowerement is democratic which our people yet have to experience one, teh only thing which ahsn't yet been tried to alleviate poverty in the entire history of that country. Your beggar mentality is the root cause of all evils and what maintains tyrnats like Meles.
With love.

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

What Ethiopia need is GREEN REVOLUTION, Not Amhra`s complaining borring lazy Culture.

http://www.yara.com

Email: Abebe@Hotmail.com

City: TX

ibd,
were you expecting innocent people to be massacred on the streets of Addis in the name of Democracy? I didn't!!

The only ones who knew this was going to to happen were those who planned it: Meles and his chronies. Which democracy do you know that did so and boasts that it is a "sign of maturing democracy": Meles, on hard talk BBC. What if those who were killed were your relatives? would you have still said the same? I would say I have have made some objective contributions to my country so far, even though it is never enough. Now, I feel there is no better contirbution to make than helping the flicker of democratic light which is being blown off by Meles and his stooges.

We better join hands for the struggle ahead. That is the biggest contribution you should make to your country too.
regards

Begashew,
We are aware of your tricks to create chaos between ethnic groups by blaming Amharas for everything Meles has done wrong. This is your tactics not to isolate yourselves. You must think all Ethiopians are stupid to believe your propagandas. Ethiopian people know who killed their children on that dark day of June 8. Amharas haven’t been in power for the last thirty years. In fact, things have been getting worse instead of better for the last thirty years I am not Amhara and I am more than frustrated and angry at Meles’s regime. Most of my family members are struggling to survive and very poor when a lot of Woyanes becoming multi milliners. You can try to spread your propagandas all you want, but we know the truth.

youth is wasted on the young, and i feel it is very young people that are painting the message boards with misunderstandings of how the world runs. first, there is no fairness amongst humans, there are no true democracies in multinational countries, and that governments if powerful serve those in power, not those without. for those who believes otherwise is nothing other than a simpleton. every person primarily thinks of him or herself, and in the seat of authority would first cushion himself before taking responsibility for others. unless you have, which i know you dont, the capability of overthrowing the govt forcefully, then it does not serve you to even complain about them. Even if you do, think of the amount of turmoil you would introduce to the country for completely unkown results. so if you honestly want to help ethiopia, and are not doing this just for your own ego or wanting to be heard, then help ethiopia in the scale of your capability. dont worry about things you cant change, and do what you can where you can to help others. peace and love,

Weyew good,
Amen to your wisdom. Now get ready for some flaming from Mamo, Jadu, Ansa door - for daring to say anything other than agreeing with them - by saying Weyane looted there for it must go - and MUST be replaced by CUD ....I am seeing silent majority finally start speaking up! You said it right on the money - without having any force to make any forcefull change, a lot of people are just machecheb on the side to make only things worst...

Email: mamo@yahoo.com

Having said the above, I want to say there are those who are on this site who think they are defending TPLF - but they are doing more damage to TPLF than anyone could do...Ethiopia need all her children to work together so we can live like humans - not dogs...come on snap out of it...realize what is more important....

Ethiopian,

Weyew Gude is not a silent majority, he has been an active participant. But that is not the point. You are convieniently confusing the opposition in the country with people who are vocal on this forum, such as myself. The opposition is in the country and it has done nothing other than a peaceful struggle. Only two weeks ago you were admiring it for its proposal and calling upon Meles to do the same. He told you to go to hell. Amaizingly you now turn around and suggest that the opposition needs to accept what Meles is willing to give it. If you understand democracy, who rules is determined by the majority vote. Meles clearly rigged the election. You are yo yoing. By the way your prediction three weeks ago that Meles would be declared a winner and the opposition would accept and form a loyal opposition and n one month we will have all sorted out is now clearly wrong. It takes another five days before you are proven dead wrong. I hope you are man enough to stand by your words and send $1000 to Shibre's family.

Mamo Qilo

Dear Mamo,
Problem I have with you is that, knowingly or unkwoingly, you are obsessed with in OUTING a closet TPLF memebers. It is ok to have healthy paranoya, but I think you are consumed by it, so your considerable talent is wasted, because you are chasing a gohst.

Now as for my prediction, I said at the end of the day EPRDF will be declared winner by NEB (and that came to pass - once again not saying that beacuse I'm their supporter) at list give me credit for that, and I said opposition will, at the end of the day, go back to parlma as minority (this to will come to pass just be patient). So, please don't twist what I say - both will come to pass and I will still send my $1000 to charity - hope you join me on there.

My main argument with you has been (until you decide to decive to out me as EPRDF member/sympathizer) that I am willing to give EPRDF blanket amenesty (for the sake of looking forward among others), provided they will govern fairly. I will put forward what that "fair means". The kind of language used by you and others leave no room for any sort of negotiation, if the other siade decide to call the bluff. To make it worst, the vitrolic and saber rattleing on this forum is being done WITH OUT THE SABER. So it is empty posturing, as your republican friends might say.

I think opposition will only humilate itself and loose its credability even further, if it continue to talk like does and at some point go back to the parlama anyway. Mamo, I'm afraid this will happen, you will try to excuse it as something else - but just watch. And, I wouldn't be surprsed if the moderator post a messsage that say - lets show the CUD leadership the door that will take 10,000 hits.

I belive EPRDF is very uneasy, despite their show of defiance in public, and aver very edgy wether they admit it or not. Deep down they know they can only last if they govern fair - other wise goodness knows they have enough haters who are going to wait for them to medenakef at list once. Any how, I am not going to be naive like you and sit here and argue EPRDF must go, when I know full well there is nothing that indicate they will go anywhere. As for the west, they will soon come out in support of his government, I'm sure that will brake your heart even more. But, the solution for ETH will come from within, and it will take time. Listen to Weyew good, he has been around and he is the type that need to be recurited in the opposition.

Dear Ethiopian,

Wehter you are TPLF supporter or not is not the main issue. The debate you and I have is on on substance and the other on procedural.

On the substance, you agreed that EPRDF has or may have rigged the vote. Yet you argue that we should allow them to stay. Or you suuggest it is prudent for them to sstay.

Second, is you accuse the opposition of insiting violence and putting the country in danger, when the fact of the matter is that the opposition in the country is bending backward to avoid violence and correct the current impasse in a peaceful manner. You refuse to accept this.

You do not have to be a card carryig TPLF member to advance their cause, directly or indirectly. Their cause being staying in power.

The procedural issue is how to correct the current situation, where the opposition has won the majority, but the traibal looters have refused to relinquish power.

No your prediction was not open ended. You said in a month time. Sir, you have lost and I hope you will come true to your words. I am contributing $200 to Shibre's fund through ER. I hope you send the $1000 to her as well. I am willing to wait for another week, as per your bet.

You wrote: "I am willing to give EPRDF blanket amenesty (for the sake of looking forward among others), provided they will govern fairly. I will put forward what that "fair means"."

Are you saying they have rigged the election, but you would still give them amnesty to rigg the election? If so, why cannot you say it loud and clear rather than playing with words.
"I think opposition will only humilate itself and loose its credability even further, if it continue to talk like does and at some point go back to the parlama anyway. Mamo, I'm afraid this will happen, you will try to excuse it as something else - but just watch."

Ethiopian, a week ago you were showing your support to the opposition and challenging EPRDF to work with the opposition. What changed in one week for you to flip over?

Ankasa Doro

Mamo,
Since you took the "moron" expression from me, and are effectively using it to my delight. I will take a page our of your play book, and take quotes and rebut it back since you are mudying to only serve your answers....

You sayid {{I said}}
On the substance, you agreed that EPRDF has or may have rigged the vote. {{TRUE}}Yet you argue that we should allow them to stay {{FALSE - I say lets take what the NED declare winner this time - becuase the same opposition you argue for agree to abide by it - when it shouldn't have }} Or you suuggest it is prudent for them to sstay {{I did not say proudent - I say frankly there is no alternative at this time}}.

You said:
Second, is you accuse the opposition of insiting violence and putting the country in danger, when the fact of the matter is that the opposition in the country is bending backward to avoid violence and correct the current impasse in a peaceful manner. You refuse to accept this.

I say:
{{{I did say afemekfet by itself will only make things worst, and endanger the unintended populace. Opposition, it seems to me, or their spupporters on this forum come here with ONE track argument - which is weak at best, and shows how little of the situation on the ground is grasped. It seems to me they HAVE no understanding of what EPRDF would react on certain senarios. The fact that they hvave not shown any imagination or preparation. To me it is like dog who has leash on around his head tied to a tree who used to make a big circle, and this circle is winding around the tree and let it only circle ever smaller circle, eventualy choking it. If the dog has brain, he would stop and turn the other way so he won't choke}}

You said:
You do not have to be a card carryig TPLF member to advance their cause, directly or indirectly. Their cause being staying in power.

I say:{{ Belive me, when I say, when some folks on this support my argument it is not becuase they agree with the essense of what I am saying - it is becuase my idea will let them stay in power and that is all they are after. This probably anoys you, becuase you figure he is making my enemies happy - therfor he is a trader. Well, I am not. Just like woyew good, I think at the moment, I don't see any viable alternative so you have to work with what you have. Because the best you and other can do is write e-mail to so and so, or demonstrate in so and so capital. I've been to one two manhy of those, and guess what it will not feed 1 hungry Ethiopian. So it is the tried and failed}}

You said:
The procedural issue is how to correct the current situation, where the opposition has won the majority, but the traibal looters have refused to relinquish power.

I say:{{You are right the procedurla issue should be corrected, but obviously you haven't followed politics in ethiopia very closely on the way to the election, if you have you would have set some expectations of yours lower. If you thought this electoin was going to result for EPRDF to loose - as I've said you are in la la land - if you are mature you will unerstand what that means}}

You said:
No your prediction was not open ended. You said in a month time. Sir, you have lost and I hope you will come true to your words. I am contributing $200 to Shibre's fund through ER. I hope you send the $1000 to her as well. I am willing to wait for another week, as per your bet.
I say:
{{arugment like above is why a lot of people think you miss certain chip in your head. As smart as you are you comeback as kid and argue on technicality - why does it matter 1 month or 2 month, the point is that. EPRDF was declared winner and at some point in the near future opposition will go as minority. I think that is the wise thing for them to do. Hope they won't use all thier political capital before they evne go there though}}

You said:{{I SAY}}
Are you saying they have rigged the election, but you would still give them amnesty to rigg the election?{{NO}} If so, why cannot you say it loud and clear rather than playing with words. {{Not playing with words, and the answer to your first question is NO}}

You said:
Ethiopian, a week ago you were showing your support to the opposition and challenging EPRDF to work with the opposition. What changed in one week for you to flip over?

I said:
{{Nothing changed! I am proud of what Dr. Brehanu did. He is smart enough to put forward an alternative than th eone track argument you and others harp like 'begena'. As you saw - he was sumarily dismissed by so many sadly. Not only that, NO appology came after certain facts came to light. This is the type of stuff that scare me about the opposition. At any rate, YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE WORLD AS "IT IS" NOT AS YOU WISH IT TO BE. Therfore, opposition need to hone its game, it doesn't have to cry to US that the election was not fair. But there are a lot of other variables and they should put them into factor. I don't see that happening. Sadly you are not seeing it either}}

tewodros

please change your nick.

talking rubbish is no good for ur brain.

Email: fklstd@aol.com

City: Washington

Ethiopian:

Now it is clear to our readers who has lost in the debate.

You admitted in writing that EPRDF has or may have rigged the vote. But you try to wiggle out of your corner by calling NEB as an alabi. Yes, the opposition has agreed to abide by the ruling of NEB, if its ruling is fair and transparent. They feel it was not. So, on what ground do you deny them their right to reject NEB's decision?

You also say that your support to allow EPRDF in office is bacuase "frankly there is no alternative at this time" But you said the people voted for the opposition. If the people voted for CUD/UEDF as an alternative, who are you to say, it should not count?

Again you are intentionally confusing the legitimate and peaceful opposition in the country with some individuals' personal views on the internet. This is both unfair to the opposition and decivieng. You wrote: "Opposition, it seems to me, or their spupporters on this forum come here with ONE track argument - which is weak at best, and shows how little of the situation on the ground is grasped. It seems to me they HAVE no understanding of what EPRDF would react on certain senarios." This is a bogus argument. The opposition is providing an alternative. And that is the proposal that you and I supported. But now yo are wiggling out of it without public announcement.

I laughed when I read your argument. First your bet was clearly time bound "One month to be exact" Now after you lost your bet you wrote:

"As smart as you are you comeback as kid and argue on technicality - why does it matter 1 month or 2 month, the point is that. EPRDF was declared winner and at some point in the near future opposition will go as minority. I think that is the wise thing for them to do. Hope they won't use all thier political capital before they evne go there though"

Sr, you have lost. Cough up the dough and send it to Shibre's family.

Mamo Qilo aka
Yejib Tila aka
Yimer Ali aka
etc

You said:{{I SAY}}
Are you saying they have rigged the election, but you would still give them amnesty to rigg the election?{{NO}} If so, why cannot you say it loud and clear rather than playing with words. {{Not playing with words, and the answer to your first question is NO}}

You said:

I said:
{{Nothing changed! I am proud of what Dr. Brehanu did. He is smart enough to put forward an alternative than th eone track argument you and others harp like 'begena'. As you saw - he was sumarily dismissed by so many sadly. Not only that, NO appology came after certain facts came to light. This is the type of stuff that scare me about the opposition. At any rate, YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE WORLD AS "IT IS" NOT AS YOU WISH IT TO BE. Therfore, opposition need to hone its game, it doesn't have to cry to US that the election was not fair. But there are a lot of other variables and they should put them into factor. I don't see that happening. Sadly you are not seeing it either}}

nice discussion, the point is what have YOU done for your country? answer that question first, before you accuse anyone else. my guess is you are the typical wassap that fattens him or herself in american cuisine, existing only for himself, and even when discussing about what is good for ethiopia, is only discussing what he thinks is good for himself. if you step out of your shell for a moment you will realize the world does not revolve around you and your infantile beliefs of what is should be, and all sorts of idealism which plagues the minds of the young, and the ignorant old.
that said, again just develop yourselves until you are useful to others, and then apply that ability to your needier brothers and sisters. blabbing on the internet is for frustrated wimps...................... peace out

I want to remind you Sir Mamo, this is not a game. And, I know I didn't loose anything to you becuae what I have said from day one is coming to pass. You keep saying you are trying to wigle out of this and wigle out of that - come down to earth mamo. Stay focused on the "real issue". The life of 72million Ethiopians.

I don't realy care who is in power be it CUD EUDF or EPRDF. All, I care is that the country be governed properly. Let me tell you this, even if CUD was in charge at this point and time. If you thought the election was gong to be unschetched I would say you are dreaming.

The way things are going, more likely than not, in yours and my life time, we will probably not see the type of democracy that you are seeing in USA. For you to expect that democracy in ethiopia is "this electoin away " shows your limitation. I am not an idiot and will not argue when some 'funny' business go on. I am here to point to folks the bigger picture. There will be thousands of people today who will not have any food to eat. Can some one stop and think of those for a change.

So I made concious choice, as weyew good said, I would rather fight for what is attainable today, and get to perfection democracy later. The problem is that many of our brothers/sister forget our country who is the "poorest of the poor" is better served by dream that could MOST likely not attained whoever maybe in charge in the short run.

BTW- I said I will send my shee brerr to charity regardless. I have invited you to do the same you did not accept this challegne what is up with that?

You can use another name, like a dictator who put as many lechan on his shoulder "zerafe mamo quilo be bado meda".

Ethiopian /Woyewgood ...

This is what woyewgood posted and praised by Ethiopian as the greatest "wisdom": "unless you have, which i know you don’t, the capability of overthrowing the govt forcefully, then it does not serve you to even complain about them." A view shared by Teodros: “negate the negative..” if he isn’t one of you.

How is yours different from the TPLF cadre's "wisdom" of "we got in by force and get us out with force". I would say that the only difference is that they may not be as articulate as you are in English. I am sure they would say it better than you did in Amharic or even better in Tigrigna. I am really confused what you two are advocating. I have no problem if you criticize people for not contributing to their country instead of "blabbing on the internet". What is confusing is that you seem to criticize all those who try to make a change by changing the very system which is the root cause of most of our ills you seem to be concerned about. Unless you tell us that what we have is a curse. Has it ever occurred to you that those who try to change the system peacefully are often those who have contributed to their nation to the maximum with all their knowledge and skills and find that their effort becomes a drop in an ocean? What do you tell to Professor Asrat, Prof Mesfin, Dr Taye W/Semayat, Profe Merera, Dr Beyene, Dr Birhanu etc. Weren't they contributing their share to their country in the way you want them to? Why do you consider supporting their cause as wrong then? For you two, it is blatantly wrong to talk about what you believe and tell others to share your views. For you, this is an agitation to lead the country in chaos. What a shame! Or, is it because you believe what Meles said about public media not to being allowed unless the Opposition stepped “hate politics” on internet? Ethiopian, considering your naive insistence about a changing EPRDF soon, I wouldn’t be surprised if you believe this as well. For me, it is like “expecting bird’s egg from a snake”.

Who do you think should do the "dirty job of politics"? Where would you find those people from? What are you doing here Ethiopian? Playing game or discussing politics?
You know what I believe, the biggest mistake so far in Ethiopia was that the great issue of politics/governance has been left to idiots or “educated illiterates”. Now, you come and tell us that we should accept what ever we are given unless we have the means to raise guns. Ney, We have seen what have guns have brought us, but we still insisit and fight to bring about a change some of us with “internet”.

How sad to see how empty those people are beneath the thick cover of their language!

Has it ever occurred to you that we are venting our frustration of what our people are going through rather than taking it as is.

How do you think would our discussion here affect the effort to bring about a change negatively? Why?

I have no idea who you are, but I would think you are amongst those who spent your critical days abroad and came back hoping that it is an opportune time to exploit that country. I don't think you have a grain of sympathy to your country and neither done any thing to be considered worth a contribution.

Bless us!

Jadu,

Excellent. If Ethiopia has the courage to acept that his view is flawed. I do not believe he does have what it takes to come out clean.

Mamo Qilo

Jadu,
Your analysis deserv reply. And I will reply soon. But, just to let you know, I belive my motive is the same as yours. "To make lifes of Ethiopians better, and have fair and lasting governance in the contry". How to get that done from where we are now is where we differ. So, don't waste your time trying to lable me - my point is yours/Mamo's approach will not bare any fruit. So, I am disagreeing with your approach, which comes from emotion than logic. So, focus our discussion on the approach than my alterier motive or yours. Personaly, I am doing fine in the west, and don't need to go back home to take advantage of anything.

Stay tuned...

dear jadu
sorry for inciting an emotional response, but the message lies in what is most practical and effective in helping ethiopia and ethiopians, not in making distant observers completely detached from what happens in ethiopia and from what ethiopians truly feel at home, feel good. there is no question that politicians, in all corners of the world, are on the whole illiterate, power hungry, corrupt opportunists. and it takes one to take out the other, through crookery, force and manipulation. but the other point is that though politicians may greatly affect the nation, ultimately it is up to the citizenry to determine what happens to the nation. please dont cite the names of people you have never met, or whose ambitions and motivations you are not aware of. I know of one of those individuals you mentioned, and he was no different than any typical political organism. everything has a cause and effect, and everybody does cause an effect by the actions they take or avoid. i believe that empty criticism, or inciting rebellion only leads to negative results in this case. if fighting was required it should have been at the time of mengistu, when half our population was duped into believing they would benefit from taking down the other half. i dont know if you experienced it, but it was a massacre of the countyr and its people and i am shocked that some people are comparing mengistu favorably. but that is just a marker of ignorance, of which we are all guilty. before judging anyone guilty, stupid, an enemy, etc, i would recommend you spend just a day in their shoes. otherwise, anybody can judge you (erroneously) to be a fascist, a rebel, an idiot, or whatever else they feel, though they may not understand your point of view. but in teh end of the day, all we can come up with is points of view and no practical reality, because the latter requires actual experience, and cause and positive effect. good luck in your life, and i hope you focus on what you can do instead of what you can say....

Begashaw,

You have no the right say Ethiopian is green after taking the vast fertile, green and breathing taking land which is more than half of the today's Tigry territory from Gonder and wollo and adding it to historically Stony Tigry. We know you took the people from Yara to the stolen green land from Gonder and Wollo and tolled them as if it was always part of Tigry that was known by the international community the place of hunger, conflict, hate and covered with stony mountains and hills.
Unless it is with gun, you don't get it. Your TPLF domination in Ethiopia is over. Your Ethnic game as you mentioned here is completely failed. You are mad dogs biting here, biting there, bluffing here, and bluffing there. The truth is your criminal act in Ethiopia is over. Good-bye, to your stony Tigry. The stolen vast and fertile land from Gonder and wollo will never, never, never stay as part of your stony province.

Email: Gimma@hotmail.com

Woyegood,

With due respect to your views and the civility you have demonstrated here, I still stand to differ with some of your points. For the record, I did experience dergue first hand and I would say that no body would tutor me about dergue at all. I would rather doubt any one who has seen the dergue era except those who went to jungles to fight or flee the country very early and returned back after dergue has been ejected would say what you said: “ when half our population was duped into believing they would benefit from taking down the other half”. If you say that you don’t really belong to any one of these groups, I will honestly reexamine my stand on this issue It is one thing to condemn the regime, but completely another to criminalize half of the people. I don’t know which half you are referring though. As far as I am concerned, I am free of any guilt there. You have no ground to associate me with you or the people you are referring to. I also differ with your view that every politician is a thief and corrupt. For me this is a typical demagogue which is used to push people away from demanding their right. You wouldn’t say, Mandella was a corrupt leader. I duno. As to the people you know, may be I know them too, perhaps more than one of them. Not necessarily as politicians, but as professionals too. I understand their weakness as human beings and expect the same. But, I still have the highest regard for their stance to defend the truth while they could have easily gotten the power by serving the current regime like many of their friends are doing. After all they are facing and challenging a regime which kills innocent people on the street. I applaud them for all what they do. I used to respect Meles and co. as well. Very unfortunately, they have failed me over and again.

Do you really think I am advocating violence in any way? Let me tell you this. I have been all through out insisting that the only way that this country can enjoy salvation is the day it has achieved power transfer by peaceful means, by the will of the people and the day people’s vote counts. I had the greatest hope that day was coming this time around. My hope was shattered on June 8, for I believe those shootings were deliberate, calculated shootings aimed at achieving one and one aim: stealing people’s vote. Now, I see that great opportunity where each and every one of us could contribute our share with every means is slipping away fast. That is what makes me frustrated and very angry. I vent out my frustrations with what ever means I get. I really feel that is the feeling of majority of Ethiopians today. If these people turn out to be violent, it is because, they can’t vent out their frustration on “internet” as I do. If you happen to be in the middle of the people, which, I doubt, you would have sensed the frustration I am expressing here. I am not a kind who is disconnected from my homeland and vent from afar. I am much more connected emotionally and physically than many people who are “inside” the country. I also didn’t have sense of animosity which I might have been expressing against Meles or his regime until the June 8 massacre, which was the last straw, which broke my back. Now, I detest them. I understand that many of the members of the current regime believe and diligently work believing that what they are doing is right including the massacre of people. But, what I tell them and I tell you is, “The road to hell is paved with good intentions”. Intentions alone don’t justify the results of actions or inactions. That is what I see. For many of Ethiopians, the “good intentions” of many of the “EPRDF” officials has become worthless on June 8. Any one who advocates their did also becomes one of them. Would you have seen them any differently had you been the mother of those two young boys killed? My friend, I know dergue first hand. the whole world knows what they are and addresses them accordingly. Our scenario here is different. This is a regime which kills people in broad day light and still considered as “progressive”. We need people to tell the world what these people are all about than anything else. That would be the biggest contribution to that country at his juncture. I advice you to do the same.
With regard,