Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
negate the negative, pursue the positive

My appeal to my fellow Ethiopians to let go of issues they dont understand, and concentrate on developing our own skills and resources to help our country and people. If you are a student, donate your used textbooks, unused stationary etc to a poor school in Ethiopia. If you are a teacher, spend the summer to volunteer and teach in Ethiopia. If you are an artist send materials to art schools. If you are a doctor, send medical equipment, donate your time to heal people and teach what you know to doctors there. If you are a bum, donate whatever you scammed off your next victim to a family in the countryside and feed them for a year. But please, please dont discuss politics, political opinions and hateful, divisive issues, because unfortunately that is the only surplus in Ethiopia, which is the only (and i mean THE ONLY) reason that our country is impoverished, our people are divided, even here in the US. If we changed our attitudes a little bit, just a lil' bit, we can actually dramatically change the lives of our bretheren back home. with love

Email: gedeclue@yahoo.com

City: los angeles

Re: negate the negative, pursue the positive

Tewodros!

What a noble cause you brought! Hope we all in diaspora will come to our sense of awareness and do things which is necessary to our beloved country, Ethiopia.

Thank you,

Politics has been defined in many ways. Most commonly, politics is “the activity through which people make, preserve and amend the general rules under which they live”

In this sense, everything you wrote above could be summed up as politics, especially in today’s world where there is no clear distinction between economy and politics or donor and exploiter. It is for this reason that we have become slaves to political excitement.

Our country is impoverished not because people discuss political opinions or divisive issues but because of the very nature of the established political structure. The political structure has always denied the people the right to make, preserve, and amend the general rules under which they live.

If the political structure reflects the wish of the people, then people will certainly balance other aspects of their life naturally. I am afraid one cannot negate the negative and pursue the positive! On the contrary, we can only realize the positive via negativa! What we are facing is a gradual social process in which we need to go through trial and errors inspired by a healthy and democratic society. The more people participate in the process, the faster the pace of the transformation occurs.

Human, Humna, Human,

For the love of God, do you think gebrelekuskus would understand such a complex message. Human, Human, Humna, do you think Tewodros would understand such a complex message. We are trying to let them know that one plus one is two. You are trying to educate them quantum physics. What it up with this?

Ankasa Doro

Mamomian!

I believe that there is a lot of things that, I should learn and know. But, I am glad that, I have learned not to say, "What it up with this?"

Tewodros,
My Lik, According to the current defnition
poverty is not lack of resources: money, skill, material etc it is rather the lack of empowerement to utilize these resources (what ever they may be) in order to improve one's life. At the root of this principle lies good governance as a means of empowerement of the people. If you don't empower the poor, you can't achieve any thing. The first step of empowerement is democratic election which our people yet have to experience one, the only thing which hasn't yet been tried to alleviate poverty in the entire history of that country. Your beggar mentality is the root cause of all evils and what maintains tyrnats like Meles.

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Jadu, I have read almost every message you posted and I come up with a conclusion that, you have never been in your home land for long period of time the same time you like to exaggerate things beyond the limit, please come home and see yourself and you will have some sense: however I do respect the hard work you do.

thank you jadu for depicting my beggarly mentality i think maybe you just need a woman to comfort you at night, because you got issues like AR in addis got flies. the discussion is not what is right for others (like the government) to do, but what is right for you to do individually or as part of a group. to expect true democracy, even in a country like the US is a farce, when you have many different cultures, economic classes, etc. unless you got muscle to take power, my advice is vent on a pillow and do some good for someone else besides crying like a baby online. i take it back, maybe it is a spanking you need............

JADU!

YOU HAVE GOTTEN ENOUGH ADVISE. LISTEN!

Jadu,

Ignore theebremenamins, tulumenamens and tewodrosmenamins.

Mamo Qilo

Congratulation Jadu!

Per Tedros advise to find a comforter, congratulaton you have Mamo Qilo the first and last bidder.

somebody wrote that at any given time 85% of the population depresses the world. by reading the posts i think it is much closer to 99%. (myself included)
instead of whining like a stuck pig, why dont we grow up and do something positive, say something positive? like provide a scholarship for a bright student without means, like provide jobs for each other, like read and write books, like invent new methods for agriculture, health, technology, like even learning how to get along! mengistu did a pretty good job making us all hate each other, because he hated ethiopia, and we are still reeling from this effect. we have a beautiful country, with beautiful diverse cultures and religions that have been able to get along, more or less for the past 3000 years. let us, by standing on the shoulders of the giants that has gotten us this far, look further, and recreate the bonds that exists between ourselves and the world. let us not be snivelling little snotfaced spoilt children who havent lifted a finger to help ethiopia, and instead mature into responsible adults who are quiet but effective, are silent but powerful, and stamp a positive effect on ethiopia, and the world at large.
peace

Weye good,
You are blaming Mengestu for what he did fourteen years ago, yes he deserved it but at the same time you want us to forgive and forget what Meles has done to Ethiopian people even before their spilled blood has dried up. Meles deserve to be blamed for all the loss of lives and the misery he has caused their families and now for stealing their votes.

Human,

Excellent lesson.

Human life is politics. Family politics, office politics, church politics, country politics. To the extent that politics is 'negative', it affects our lives negatively. So politics has an impact on us. To the extent we practice positive politics, we improve the politics state of society. We have an impact on politics.

Being conscious of this reality empowers us to have a more positive impact on our society.

Email: a@b.com

I agree with the latter message. to deal with people requires politics, daily and in every arena. the issue is that of the law of reciprocity; that to a given action by another, you have the power to decide how to react. So by your reaction you actually have power over the action. If somebody slaps you, as per the bible, you are to provide the other cheek. i understood this just this year, after 3 decades of believing the opposite; that i should reply by gutting the person. but when you provide the other cheek, you annul the other's aggression and violence, and you remove its power. similarly, we have a choice on how to act or react in this world, without requiring any other person to have authority over us. if you understand this, which unfortunatly takes a long time for humans, then you can then live your life on your own terms instead of other peoples. then i guarantee you will be happy and content, and only then will you be worthy to others. but if you are running at the beckon and call of other people, you become a negative of a person, not good for yourself, nor for others, and destined for a life of misery, like 85% of any population. if you are younger than 30 i dont expect you to understand this, unless you have had an exceptional diverse experience of life and wise guidance. if not, do not fret, seek the truth from within, over time, seek love, wisdom so that one day you can be a greater person, not existing just for himself, but a beneficiary to others in your world.