Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
And so it goes...

Selam to all

I must admit that the Maoists/Leninists succeeded in sabotaging the one democratic issue that Ethiopians of all walks of life and ideological denomination could rally together: Fair and Transparent count of their votes. They are now robed their voices from Moyale to Nakfa, Assosa to Dufti and the “shameless few” are telling them what is more important is to form “joint government” with the very party that Ethiopians overwhelmingly voted against just only three months ago. Now the issue is about forming a cooperative government based on the results of May 15 election- pity as it seems, I must say.

Congratulation is in order to EPRP/MEISON who successfully killed the most important democratic issue that could bring all Ethiopians together. They don’t know better; hence they will remain serving as the ruling party's unwitting participant. Now the white flag is up and flying in Addis and of course the message is received from Brussels to DC. PM Meles must love this.

With Love!

Re: And so it goes...

Yilma,

Stop dividing the opposition. CUD/UEDF are the ones who wrote the proposal not EPRP/Meison. My brother, the storm is gathering and nothing has changed. In the process the opposition got the moral upper hand. And EPRDF has not gotten any thing out of this. You and Moderator are the only chaps who are getting out of shape.

Ankasa Doro

Yilma,
What other proposal have you made. I haven't heard a single soul in this forum who came up with any viable recommendation except saying that they shouldn't let people's vote looted. The NUG, If you read it carefully exactly is a sobber attempt to attainjsut that. It may not be complete or agreable to every body, but it is sickening to hear crticism after crticism by people I haven's seen suggesting any thing. Even in retrospect, what would have been your proposal? Yet, I see you people doing every thing possible to create a wedge amongst the oppsoition or widen what ever gap you detect. What are you after?

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Selam Mamo and Jade

Mamo,

I see a white Flag; you see a gathering storm. Well, only time will tell.

Jade,

There is no alternative strategy other than demanding transparent and accurate count of votes balloted on May 15 by every peaceful means necessary. Does this need any explanation?

Furthermore, if the results of May 15 elections are the basis for cabinet portfolio distribution, then you must accept the count as legitimate. You cant have it both ways. The way I see it, Ethiopians will have to wait 5 more years to give it another shot.

With Love

With Love

Yilma,

The proposal was the making of UEDF and CUD. Why did you suggest that it was the making of EPRP and Meison? Are you telling us CUD that did not wish to work with EPRP and Meison still gets its guidance from them. Or are you saying UEDF is influenced by EPRP and UCDis in turn influenced by UEDF. But this would not sit wel with you earlier claim that UEDF is sidelined and marginalized. So why did you invoke EPRP and Meison. Are you trying to plant discord within the opposition?

You wrote: "There is no alternative strategy other than demanding transparent and accurate count of votes balloted on May 15 by every peaceful means necessary." Since the opposition has initiated a different route does it mean we should throw a white flag and surrender. As you see it "Ethiopians will have to wait 5 more years to give it another shot." Even assuming the proposal is wrong, why do you suggest the mistake is irrevrsible.

Ante Korata, Weslata Acheberbari. Eje Kefenji teyazek.

Ankasa Doro

Mamo,

Obviously, you have a lot to grow.

Yilma,
You said, "There is no alternative strategy other than demanding transparent and accurate count of votes balloted on May 15 by every peaceful means necessary. Does this need any explanation?

yes, I am telling you it needs an explanation. I don't thin k there has ever been any disagreement with your statement. The issue is how do you achieve accurate count while the whole apparatus is held by Meles/EPRDF?

Repeating the demand doesn't makes it a startegy my Bro/Sis
best wishes,

Yilma,

Facts:

1. The proposal was the making of UEDF and CUD (They both confirmed this).
2. CUD has made it clear that they would not wish to work with EPRP/Meison (They would not even allow them in their coalition)
3. You said that UEDF is pretty much irrelevant in your earlier message
4. On this tread you suggest that the proposal is the making of EPRP/MEison (you wrote: congratulation is in order to EPRP/MEISON for sabotaging the movement.

Answer the contradiction: Are you telling us that CUD that did not wish to work with EPRP and Meison still gets its guidance from them. Or are you saying UEDF is influenced by EPRP and UCD is in turn influenced by UEDF. But this would not sit well with you earlier claim that UEDF is sidelined and marginalized. So why did you invoke EPRP and Meison. Are you trying to plant discord within the opposition?

You wrote: "There is no alternative strategy other than demanding transparent and accurate count of votes balloted on May 15 by every peaceful means necessary." Since the opposition has initiated a different route does it mean we should throw a white flag and surrender. As you see it "Ethiopians will have to wait 5 more years to give it another shot." Even assuming the proposal is wrong, why do you suggest the mistake is irrevrsible?

Yegemel Chira

Yilma,

Do you have a reply? You are exposed as TPLF operator. You need to change your screen name. I knew you cannot answer my question. You are pinned down. Acheberbari.

Ankasa Doro

Selam Jadu

Your last posting had this question “The issue is how do you achieve accurate count while the whole apparatus is held by Meles/EPRDF?”

Let me say that your civility is commendable unlike few professional political hoodlums whose self deceiving ego limited their ability to move forward. (It may sound a little polemical, and I hope you forgive me, I call them Starbucks Warriors.)

Getting back to your question, I am going to state the following statement as a backdrop and then I will ask you a question. Here is my take:

Transitional Government (NUG) was tabled two years ago by EPRP and Meison on the supposition that there would not be fair and free election under EPRDF. (Those who opposed Transitional Government left UEDF and formed CUD.) Judgment day arrived and May 15 proved that the assumption was wrong: the election was fair, and Ethiopians casted their vote by the millions. The count, however, became the centrifuge of the controversy except in Addis.

If you agree with my statement, here is my question: how did other countries achieve fair and transparent count when opposition believed its votes were disregarded? Transitional government?

If you don’t agree with that statement, I would ask you to ignore my question and state your own take.

With love, and best withes to you too.

Yilma,

Facts:

1. The proposal was the making of UEDF and CUD (They both confirmed this).
2. CUD has made it clear that they would not wish to work with EPRP/Meison (They would not even allow them in their coalition)
3. You said that UEDF is pretty much irrelevant in your earlier message
4. On this tread you suggest that the proposal is the making of EPRP/MEison (you wrote: congratulation is in order to EPRP/MEISON for sabotaging the movement.

Answer the contradiction: Are you telling us that CUD that did not wish to work with EPRP and Meison still gets its guidance from them. Or are you saying UEDF is influenced by EPRP and UCD is in turn influenced by UEDF. But this would not sit well with you earlier claim that UEDF is sidelined and marginalized. So why did you invoke EPRP and Meison. Are you trying to plant discord within the opposition?

You wrote: "There is no alternative strategy other than demanding transparent and accurate count of votes balloted on May 15 by every peaceful means necessary." Since the opposition has initiated a different route does it mean we should throw a white flag and surrender. As you see it "Ethiopians will have to wait 5 more years to give it another shot." Even assuming the proposal is wrong, why do you suggest the mistake is irrevrsible?

Why did you faile to reconcile yourself with a simple and obvious contradiction. You are here to divide the opposition. Acheberbari, Weslata!
Yegemel Chira

Hi Yilma,
Thank you for the reply, Leaving aside how the issue of NUG came in to surface, I will go to the core of the issue. you said: "Judgment day arrived and May 15 proved that the assumption was wrong: the election was fair, and Ethiopians casted their vote by the millions. The count, however, became the centrifuge of the controversy except in Addis." for the sake of argument, let me agree with this statement. Your question about how others achieved this takes me to Ukraine and Georgia elections which has led to the respective supreme court's decision to overrule the respective elecion boards decision through those colored revolutions. Your next question, I presume would be why not to Ethiopia too? If you are saying that every vote roberry is solved by the Ukraine model, I will say, you are wrong!. While the popular movement of the colored revolution has certainly started in Ethiopia too, the nature of our adversaries and our place in the international political arena makes it impossible for the train to move. For EPRDF, those revolutions are illegal "unconstitutional", any one which demands anything other than what they offer was given bullets or imprisoned. In short, What was an apparent democratic election was later revealed to have been staged in a country of nazi's/Stalins, whose real face emereged the day the mockery democratic election proved to go against their way. There were two alternatives in this sitaution where the oppsoition was made dysfunctional and the leadership put under virtual arrest. Either, to go ahead with the populalr uprising with all the stalinistic massacre, or take alternatives to find a compromisable solution with a party which is not at all prepared to surrender its power. They chose the later. In hind site, one may question this move. But that is 20/20. I think, they must have thought that they will garner the support of the diplomatic community which happens to push the later appraoch. Very unfortunately, EPRDF is emoboldened by its apparent success in calming popular anger and continued its massive fraud in collaboration with NEBE. In the mean time it also continued its aggressive campaign to make any peaceful opposition in the futre virtually impossible by making tens of 11th hour rules and "mockery regualtions", including the funny one which states: "Kininet yegodelew nigigir beparlama ayichalim".

Yilma, take it from here and give me your alternative. I couldn't see one.
May be I am "myopic"? Help,
regards

Mulugeta Asrate Kassa,

Is it true that you robb the elderly ad the sick?

Ankasa Doro

Yilma,

Where are you. You owe me and Jadu answer. You were a bad imposter and you are exposed. I think itis time for you to change your screen name. I guess that is what you have done.

Mamo Qilo aka
Ankasa Doro aka
Yegemel Chira akak
etc

yilma,
I am waiting.

Selam Jadu

Please accept my apology for not replying to your question earlier. As I mentioned some time ago, I don’t have as much time as I wanted to come and visit this forum. Although I resent some of the editorial positions of the Moderator, the forum in large part is fair and I enjoy visiting it.

What I was/am saying is that “every vote robbery” is solved ONLY when you fight for each vote. Apparently there is an important fact that continues to remain missing in our dialogue: opposition parties already participated in the May 15 election. If oppositions did not take part or boycotted the election, or the voting process was grossly unfair, then TNG could have been an alternative strategy to put pressure on the ruling party to open up the process for participatory democracy. By virtue of participating in the May 15 election and claiming victory, the opposition validated the voting process as fair. The remaining issue was an accurate count of votes not voting .

Opposition accepted the fairness of the voting procedure but disputed the results. If you admitted fair voting process but alleged the result as grossly rigged, then the only course on the table was to get the results fairly counted by any peaceful means necessary. That option is now lost. Opposition forfeited its chance to remain steadfast around a single agenda that could bond its support. In my opinion, TNG side-tracked the real agenda and clearly undermined the credibility of the opposition. The strategy was self-defeating, to say the least.

What then?

The way I see it, popular uprising is not an option, at least not at this time. TNG for now is a wishful thought. When all said and done, CUD/UEDF will participate in the up coming parliament. Agree or not, that is the only course available right now.

Another important fact that seems to be left in the back burner is for CUD to administer Addiss. It will not be an easy task even without the PM trying to dry-up its revenue sources. CUD currently enjoys popular support that cuts through every ethnic and economic group. If it plays its card right, it can have millions of volunteers to show case Addis Ababa as a well managed and corruption free zone.

With love, and best regards!

Yilma,

I am surprised by your assertion that Maoists/Leninsts sabotaged the democratic process in Ethiopia.

Leave alone the oppositions (CUD/UEDF) OR EPRP/MEISON. They did nothing wrong if you followed the whole election process. If you don't know it, it is Woyane and its child NEBE who killed the emerging democratic process in our country.Woyane through NEBE stealed the election.

The whole process of the election was not fair mainly because of NEBE and the Ministry of Information. The oppositions grouped opposed this and asked for a free electoral board and Commission of Information. For anybody who has free mind, the May election was undertaken under biased conditions favourable for the ruling party. The oppositions asked for a free election, we need to support them instead of trying to divide them.

If EPRP/MEISON proposed for the tranitional government in Ethiopia, they have presented an idea that is in line with the idea of the majority of the Ethiopian people except Woyane. Your attempt to divide the oppositions have failed.

Nestanet

Selam Netsanet

EPRDF did what it had to do; this should not even be a topic for discussion. If you expected red carpet to the palace, you were wrong. Those who care for a democratic process, the minimum they can do is learn how to face the truth even when it is not in their liking. CUD/UEDF fumbled and lost the ball. You said “…we need to support them instead of trying to divide them.” In principle, I agree; though it is the same cliche we heard before: first CODEF, then Alternative Forces, and now UEDF.

I must remind you that accepting failure is a sign of strength not weaknesses. Good luck for your “success”.

With Love!

Yilma,

Thank you for your reply.Better late than never.
I am astounded as to how you could be failing to understand what I am asking you unless you are acting "Awko yetegnan ..". In my previous posting, I have stated that puting the demand wouldn't make it a strategy and I thought you got it right. Here you come and tell us three times that the right thing for teh opposition to do was to demand for proper counting of the votes. Here were your quotes:
"What I was/am saying is that “every vote robbery” is solved ONLY when you fight for each vote.".
"By virtue of participating in the May 15 election and claiming victory, the opposition validated the voting process as fair. The remaining issue was an accurate count of votes not voting". "If you admitted fair voting process but alleged the result as grossly rigged, then the only course on the table was to get the results fairly counted by any peaceful means necessary.". Do you mean they have to insist for recounting of stashed ballots? Idon't get you at all.

I think it is worth to remind you how we came here. The whole discussion arose as a result of your criticism of the oppsotion's proposal for NUG and my askedd your alternative to assure/insist proper count of people's vote? I sincerely hope you are on the side who demand that people's vote which was stolen be respected. Aren't you? I thought that was what the opposition demanded in a way that assures the state machinary wouldn't be used the same way again. Nothing less, nothing more!

You then come and dismissed all options which are on the table: mass up rising and NUG. What I have asked was what your recommendation would have been before the winner is declared and the opposition recommended NUG. I gave you the benefit of hind sight and you haven't yet come up with any other option, except discredititng every thing the oppositon are doing.

I also wonder how you relate the Addis issue with what is being discussed here. I am sorry, that made me seriously doubt your motive.

As far as I am concerned, My message to the oppositon is one and only one. Any attempt to avoid confrontation now would only postpone what ever is to come in the futre in a condition where the opposition's capacity to defend themselves is made worse than it is now. Whether you call this as mass uprising, boycotting parliament etc , I don't know and I don't care. Yet again, I do also support them if they decide to go to paliament, for I realize they are in a much better position to understand the whole situation than I am. One thing I demand is that the two not open the smallest opening to our adversaries.

I wish, every body feels and does the same.
Regards,

Selam Jadu

You wrote, "Yet again, I do also support them if they decide to go to paliament, for I realize they are in a much better position to understand the whole situation than I am." Amen!

I respect those who remained faithful to the power of peaceful struggle. Simply put, there is no alternative to a peaceful struggle;the days of Maoism and Leninism are gone forever.

With Love!

Yilma,
You owe me answers to my questions not reapeating what I have said. Where are you? Are you still in tune with the first message you posted in this thread?
I amn't seeing it. Am I so naieve or what?

Selam Jadu

I am "in tune" (I like that wording) with my original posting; in fact I am surer than ever. The people's vote has been compromised, and perhaps sabotaged to accommodate a handful of Maoists. TNG was the best gift EPRDF hoped for. It simple provided the diplomatic punch-bag for the PM against the opposition. It is the same strategy that failed several years ago. I cant understand for the life of me why the dropped a unifying cause. As they say, time will tell. For now, however, I failed to share your enthusiasm for TNG.

With Love!