Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hailu Shawel's driver beaten by Agazi army

ADDIS ABABA, Aug 8, 2005 (Addis Zena) — The driver of Hailu Shawel, chairman of opposition Coalition for Unity and Democracy (CUD), has been beaten and threatened at gun point by government security men.

Hailu Shawel’s driver was beaten and threatened at gun point by security personnel on Saturday 30 Hamle — date in Ethiopian calendar, corresponding to 6 August.

On that fateful date the driver was taking Hailu Shawel to Global Hotel for a party meeting. When they reached the hotel and the driver was trying to park the vehicle, one of the security personnel who had been trailing the chairman’s car threatened the driver and told him that things would be bad if he banged his car.

While the driver tried to park his car and ignore the threat, the same man spit on him and pointed his gun at the driver. However, when the driver tried to defend himself by raising his arm the assailant’s gun fell into Shawel’s car. Then the security man ran to his car and brought an AK-47 machine gun and beat the driver.

If the people who were around did not interfere and separate the two, the driver would have sustained more injuries. The security man, while beating the driver, was also threatening him saying that he would lose his life if he did not alienate himself from the opposition.

One of the three cars that was trailing Mr Hailu tried to hit him while heading to the hotel after alighting from his car.

Material provided by the BBC Monitoring Service.

Re: Hailu Shawel's driver beaten by Agazi army

This is another story that boils my blood. Even the poor people are being intimidated not to make a living by this animals. I am sure this driver is just doing his job to raise his kids with no affiliation to any party. What an abuse of power!!!

Wishful thinking---It would be a great victory for all Ethiopian people and a great defeat to Meles’ party to have all the opposition parties to join hand to hand and work out their differences to become one and have a common goal to get rid of this brutal regime.

Hi Lemlem!

enedemineh G/S,
Are any of those gangsters your brothers?

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Selam Betigl and Gebremeles,
Wow! How insensitive!! This article is talking about the driver not about Hailu. What ever Hailu had done or may have done in the past the driver had nothing to do with it. However, if Hailu Shawel had any skeleton in his closet, Meles would have dug it out. What a great shame! You two want to forget what Meles has done to unarmed civilians and put the blame on Hailu Shawel.

Why is these G/minammins opt to write in block letters. Do they think that will make their empty postings more stronger?

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

As a devout ethiopian, i am starting to feel like a palestine. Like people who are conquered. Really the people of ethiopia is not under tyranny but we are conquered. Shame on the West, shame on the African Union, shame on the EU, shame on The US. I think Iran should produce nuclear bombs, i think North korea also, also palestine, also every body. Who cares? The world is a mess full of powerful bunch of greedy people speaking fictitously and loudly! The hell with them and the hell with their stinky principles and the hell with their smelling international politics! Did they speak about democracy? Ohhh..****!
Freedom for the people of Palestine!
Freedom for the people of Ethiopia!

selamye teqatelkulish ere sentu yenegeral yemiadergut neger

Saturn,
I hope our beloved country Ethiopia don’t go through a mess like Palestine. It is unfortunate that desperation and hopelessness drive people into strange horrible things like that.

Re: Re: Hailu Shawel's driver beaten by Agazi army

yeah -- i understand that the driver shouldnot be harassed at any cost but you have to understand what his master did and is doing
HE SERVED THE DERG FROM 1966 TO 1971 IN DIFFERENT POSTS AND FROM 1971-1975 AS ERSHA LIMAT MINISTER--- WHY DO HATE THE TRUTH
THE TRUTH IS HAILU A NEO DERG THAT IS ALL

Email: deleted

City: deleted

For all CUD supporters!

Please Please get copy of the Addis Admas newspaper saturday's (August 13/2005) edition to read the speech of his Excellency Would be President Ye Edir Dagna of Ethiopia, Hailu Shawl's speech!!!!!!

He said it clearly that it is the CUD supporters and officers who were murdered in Addis's riot!!!!!!!

See this man!!!

Almaz!

Email: lmazgenet@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa