Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yes, show Berhanu the Door, He is Not On Our Side!

Yes, Show Berhanu Nega the Door!

By now, we should be convinced beyond any reasonable doubt that Berhanu Nega is buying time for Meles Zenawi.

He executed a brilliant strategy on behalf of Meles. He formed a political party on the eve of the elections, persuaded key political personalities to split from UEDF and form CUD. He pushed CUD to ignore the preconditions put forward by UEDF, which included the dismantling of the National Election Board. The oppositions are paying a hefty price for that disastrous move. In the aftermath of the elections, when students protested the rigged elections, once again, Berhanu Nega came to Meles’ rescue. He blamed the innocent students and rushed to sign the truce, another coward move.

Under the disguise of lobbying the international community, he has hijacked the struggle. He has become the supreme spokesperson for the opposition, preventing other genuine opposition leaders from coming forward to defend the public’s interests.

After all his endless mishaps, Berhanu wants to go to the TPLF court to fight the National Election Board’s decision. Only Berhanu can explain why the woyane court will rule against TPLF handpicked National Election Board. One can suspect that he is suggesting this rubbish idea to appease the anxiously waiting public with a clear intent to help Meles to move strategically. Berhanu is a very dangerous guy who should be castigated from the struggle. He is Meles’ boy, not our.

Remember, he is on the record saying that his objective for joining the May 2005 elections is to place himself in a strategic position for elections 2010. How many innocent Ethiopians must perish to fulfill the political ambition of Berhanu Nega? The opposition leaders must free themselves from Berhanu. Yes, show Berhanu the Door, he is not on our side!

By Anaclet Rwegayura

ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) - Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi won a contentious second term, according to results from May's election published on Tuesday, but the opposition again cried foul and promised a legal challenge.

Allegations of fraud during the poll in the Horn of Africa nation sparked protests and a military clampdown that left at least 36 people dead in June and thousands under arrest.

The latest batch of constituency results announced by the national election board gave Meles' ruling Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) 296 parliamentary seats -- past the 274 it needs for a majority.

The two main opposition coalitions, other opposition parties and independent candidates now have 176 out of 547 seats, far more than the 20 they had in the last parliament.

The election was only the second true multi-party poll in Africa's top coffee producer, the second most populous country in sub-Saharan Africa with 72 million people.

The main opposition Coalition for Unity and Democracy (CUD) said it would not accept the result and said the electoral board was biased toward the ruling party.

"Given the way the national board has been operating, it is not surprising that these are the results," the CUD's Berhanu Nega said.

"We will not accept it. We will challenge it in court."

The election body released 57 new results on Tuesday bringing the total announced so far to 492 out of the 524 constituencies where polls were held in May 15.

Elections will be held in 23 constituencies in the remote Somali state of Ethiopia on August 21 while re-elections will take place in 32 other constituencies on the same day, partly of disputed results.

"The parties should accept the final results which have come after an investigation process that was long but also transparent," said electoral board chairman Kemal Bedri.

Meles has in the past been feted by Western leaders and was a prominent member of the British-sponsored Africa Commission giving recommendations to the G8 group of rich nations on how to tackle the continent's problems.

But accusations of fraud in the poll, then the violence and mass arrests, called his democratic credentials into question.

The ruling party welcomed the results and said they confirmed its position that it had enough votes to form a legitimate government.

"The results have clearly shown that the EPRDF has won. It is a clear vindication of the EPRDF," said Bereket Simon, Ethiopia's minister for information.

"I think everyone needs to accept the results and move forward."

EPRDF affiliates also won 20 seats.

Re: Yes, show Berhanu the Door, He is Not On Our Side!

I agree with you menbe.

CUD is going down in defeat not because it lacked the votes to win, but because of the willing surrender of its leaders, particularly Berhanu Nega. Woyanne did not defeat CUD, Berhanu Nega did, with the unwitting collaboration of the other CUD members who are bambozzled by his much talked about network of international supporters. This is a sad day for Ethiopia. While the real heroes like Lidetu are silenced by their own party, infiltrators and opportunits have once again succeeded in defusing the people's desire for freedom and democratic rule. I'm convinced more than ever that Berhanu is an infiltrator who was sent by woyanne to neutralize AEUO and EUDP.

you guys are a lion in Internet.

I don't you have any clue of politics. Politics, the current Ethiopian situation, is not easy like eating hamburger. Please don't speak in something you have no idea.

"Kebero siyayut yamir, siyzut yadenager"

Email: ethiopia_tinur@yahoo.com

City: USA

Dr berhanu nega is a very dengerous spy and he has big mission to destroy cud and its mission.he said he take them to the court.He is saying just what meles want him or told him to say.we know who are the judges and we dont want to take our case to court we have many ways left to force meles to step down,one of the plan is to tell the public not to obey for the current regime until meles step down.

Email: wonder@yahoo.com

Well said Menber. Berhanu is trying to silence Ledetu and people like him, not a chance.

ER is right for staring this campaign. Show him the door, that is the correct stand!

Thank you ER for standing for the people.

What ever happened to Ato Hailu Shawel? Is he with Berhanu Nega? After all the promises he made, he just vanished from the scene. tezebte newye

Menber is an EPRDF/EPRP. You are busted. If u continue to write a dirt...u will be exposed

Aster, Gobez, and Menber political affiliation spectrum is EPRP____EPRDF. You three are some where in there. Patetic communists.

ADDIS ABABA, Aug 9 (AFP) — One of Ethiopia’s two main opposition groups said on Tuesday it will challenge in court the official results from the disputed May elections which gave victory to the ruling party.

Beyene Petros, vice president of the United Ethiopian Democratic Forces (UEDF), said the returns were flawed and the result of a conspiracy between the national election board and the ruling party to ignore opposition allegations of widespread fraud in the May 15 polls.

"We have tested the (election board), which has failed to do its job and now with all the evidence and witnesses we have, we are going to challenge the (board’s) official announcement of the winner and the result in the court," he told AFP.

"Today’s announcement of the final result and the winner in the election proves our predication that the national election board will do its assignment to declare the ruling party as winner and nothing else," Beyene said.

When combined with victories by allied parties, the ruling Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) controls a total of 318 seats in the 547-member parliament and the opposition 174, according to the results released by the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) Tuesday.

Ethiopia’s two main opposition groups, the Coalition for Unity and Democracy (CUD) and the United Ethiopian Democratic Forces (UEDF), took 109 and 52 seats respectively in the May 15 polls, the board said

Dagmawi Siye,

You Agaze, we will never allow you to kill our people viciously. Your days are numbered, you better know this.

Dagmawi Siye,

I don't understand why you want to add EPRP and EPRDF? Please explain.

Nestanet

Aster,
Sorry for including your name it was an error. I meant to list Gobez, Abe, Era and Menber. These guys don't have a peace in their mind as well as a dicipline. While the majority of CUD's council approved and forwarded the proposal they are only attacking Dr. Berhanu. What is their motive? They are a bunch of communists that hate CUD and who would like to see division and disintigeration of the opposition.

To Nesanet/Ewnetu
Why attack berhanu only?.... why not Beyene?
it smells between EPRP____________EPRDF.

Dr. Berhanu, continue the struggle we will be with you and the CUD. Forgive those insane individuals in the diaspora. We all are pray for them. EPRDF's domination will be contained soon.

Please please let us not be another weapon for EPRDF. We are agravating the problem by saying that Berhanu is a traitor.

If he is a real traitor why didn't the patry members of CUD denounce him. They have every right to say that BErhanu doesn't represent CUD. But they kept quite. Do you think that he has the power to silence all of them including Hailu Shawl and Dr Hailu Araya. I don't think so. Let us assume that Lidetu doesn't have the mandate to say something because he will be seen as an opponent but they other can say so.

What I believe is that Berhanu is taking the steps that CUD has endorsed. He will not do a single move without consultating the executive committee of CUD. If there is someone to be blamed here it should be the whole executive members not only Berhanu.

But let us see. I hope they are taking caluculative measures and there will come another time that we will say they had been right. Let us wish that.

Email: tarike@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

Tarike,

Berhanu should be kicked out of CUD. He is a spoiler. All the division in the CUD is as a result of him. Berhanu has been absent from the struggle for 14 years, all of a sudden, he has resurfaced. Ever since he stepped in the scene, it has been one failure after another.

Did you know that Berhanu is Meles' tennis partner? Would you want to seriously harm your buddy? Not really!

Aster,

I think there are things that we didn't understand in the situation and thoughts of CUD right now. Today's tabloids also carried on the information of favouring Berhanu and directly or indirectly pointing at Lidetu's wrong doings. Let us not believe that there is some gap but if there is a rift between the CUD members I feel that the majority is with Berhanu and that is why they are keeping quite at this moment. In my opinion it is also good to hear from Lidetu as well to see both sides of the coin.

One thing that I see as useless is - going to the court to sue EPRDF. This is very naive of Berhanu to think about this. Is he fooling himself or what is happening to him. However, still I say that they are doing all the things with their full senses in a calculated move.

I feel that Berhnau and CUD will not let Ethiopians down who voted for them in queue that started at 5:00 a.m.

What we all wish is a better day to come for our beloved country.

Tarike,

You are dead wrong, the majority of CUD supporters are with Ledetu, not with Berhanu. They are simply tolerating Berhanu since he poses to have so much clout in the West, which is a big time blaff.

He is new to the political scene, and must learn a bunch before taking the driver seat. Ledetu and his colleagues have been in the front fighting for the people. Let them lead the people, not the new kid on the block.

Aster,

That may be true but why are they saying that Lidetu is wrong by favouring Berhanu. If they are saying this without any ground just only to applud Berhanu then that is a big problem. Unless his moves are out of the plan Lidetu's conerns and fears should also be heard as that of Berhanu equally in their party. I wish if there is someone to tell us what Hailu Shawl, Dr Hailu and Eng. Gizachew are saying about this.

I fell sorry for those you , who sit in your airconditioned home in the US and insult Dr. Birhanu.

Some of you are real Woyane people,who pretend as if you are an opposition , some of you are innocent individuals who speak what ever comes to their mouth.

You have no clue of politics, what ever you say CUD and UEDF will continue their struggle and win!!!! Long live Hailu Shawel, Merera Gudina, Dr. Birhanu, Prof. Mesfin, Ledetu Ayalew, Beyene Petros, Hailu Araya and others.

These are our heros who are in the middle of the fire. Why we try give them order sitting in America and Europe? We must be crazy.

Instead of wasting our time in internet writting some trash, let's work an hour extra and send them the money.

Individuals like Menber and Aster are clear Woyane supporters, let's not get confused by whatever they write.

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE EPRDF SUPPORTERS ARE WRITING IN THIS FORUM, YOU ARE FOOL. AGAIN, DON'T EXPECT THEM TO TELL YOU THEY ARE EPRDF, THEY PRETEND THEY ARE OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS, BUT YOU WILL GET THEM WHEN THEY START TO INSULT THE ABOVE MENTIONED RESPECTED INDIVIDUALS.

let's ignore their posting, and talk something constructive.

Email: ethiopia_tinur@yahoo.com

City: USA

Selamta,

Are you not also using this technology to exchange ideas? People in the glass house should not throw a stone.

Tarike,

I would love to hear from Ato Hailu Shawel as well. I liked what he was quoted saying in the today's AP regarding wagining a peacful struggle. We need to hear more from him and Ledetu and less from Berhanu.

Aster,

You need to calm down, the out come of the political process might embarrass you. Why are u selectively attacking Berhanu? Berhanu is a messenger between the CUD and the public. Please, have a respect to CUD and its leadership. I have checked with CUD leadership and the majority have approved the proposal.

City: TN

The difference between Lidetu and others is NOT antagonistic and irreconcilable contradiction. The difference a tactical one, not a strategic difference. The difference need to be handled with care, creativity and flexibility. CUD is already handling it excellently. You guys here seem interested to let it go out of hand. That wont happen. CUD wont be an easy prey to Weyane. You better talk about something else. It is well taken care of. My advise to the MODERATOR is that he/she should NOT at this juncture encourage unnecessarily confrontational type of debate. In 1975 (GC), we have seen how many creams of Ethiopia died just because of poor handling of differences and misreading of objective conditions. It wont be repeated this time. Please Moderator shut down this topic.

City: CA

Aster Le pico,

Strategic difference is what we are discussing here, a critical element.

I could not say it better.