Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Show Dr Berhanu the door out of CUD

CUD needs to take immediate corrective measures

From Ethiopian Review,
August 8, 2005

We were shocked to learn that a proposal that calls for power sharing with the EPRDF murderous regime has been released in the name of CUD and UEDF a few days ago (August 4, 2005). The proposal bears the signature of Dr Berhanu Nega of the Coalition for Unity and Democracy (CUD), and Dr Beyene Petros of the United Ethiopian Democratic Forces (UEDF). Later on, we learned from other CUD leaders that the proposal has not been authorized by the CUD leadership. Although it was a relief to hear that, there remains a troubling question as to why Dr Berhanu Nega, who's the election campaign manager of CUD, has presented such a traitorous proposal in the name CUD. It is also troubling that CUD has yet to release any official statement denouncing or distancing itself from the proposal that has been released in its name.

For the past two months, CUD has been discussing with and lobbying the international community to help solve the election crisis in Ethiopia. While CUD has been pursuing solutions through foreign diplomats, it has completely ignored the people who voted for it. Last week, CUD has adjusted course and started to convene meetings with its members and the public. After two months of diplomatic efforts by Dr Berhanu Nega, running from one embassy to another and traveling to European capitals, there is no result to show for. The effort has been a disastrous failure. So much so that, last week, the head of the European Union delegation in Ethiopia, Ambassador Tim Clarke, openly began telling the opposition parties to give up, be satisfied with what they got and enter parliament, in total disregard for the choice the people made on May 15.

The chief architect and executioner of this failed strategy is Dr Berhanu Nega. As if his utter failure in the diplomatic field is not enough, now Dr Berhanu proposes a power sharing arrangement with the Meles regime -- a brutal dictatorship that has just recently massacred over 40 unarmed civilians and severely tortured thousands of others, a regime that is trying to steal the people's vote in a day light robbery. Instead of demanding Meles & Co. to resign, Dr Berhanu wants to share power with them. This is the most obscene opportunistic act by a political leader. This also demonstrates Dr Berhanu's disdain for those Ethiopians who sacrificed their lives, those who have been tortured, and those who are languishing in disease infested jails for striving to bring about a genuine democratic governance in Ethiopia. Dr Berhanu's proposal demonstrates his contempt for the 25 million Ethiopians who voted on May 25. By presenting such a proposal, without consulting his colleagues in the CUD leadership, Dr Berhanu demonstrates his lack of respect for his own party's rules and procedures.

Because of these reasons, we don't see how the CUD leadership can allow Dr Berhanu Nega to remain in the CUD executive committee. If Dr Berhanu is allowed to remain in the CUD leadership, it will be the end of CUD as a serious political entity that has the support of the people.

Taking all these into consideration, we trust the CUD leadership will take immediate corrective actions soon and show Dr Berhanu the door.

Lord!

All I can say at this very moment is: Lord help me to understand what exactly is going on between the CUD members who denounce the proposal and those who signed the proposal(I guess only one person signed it from CUD). Whatever happened to loyality? Or is it another hoax, to serve political purposes? Well, only God knows, so better wait and see. May the faithful God, the only One who doesn't abuse power, keep watching over Ethiopia and its people!!!

Re: Show Dr Berhanu the door out of CUD

What the hell is going on? Now I am totally confused. Are u really saying that Dr. Berhanu is doing something behind the CUD leadership? I don't think so! There must be something fishy going on

Email: kuk34@mailcity.com

City: D.C.

i hope cud make immediate corrective actions and remove dr berhanu from his post. he will be a trouble
maker for cud. i dont like the way he try to handel the problem .let us move forward this message to cud
leaders about removing dr berhanu from his post/

Email: solomon@yahoo.com

SHAME ON ETHIOPIANREVIEW! SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT MELES DREAMED TO HAPPEN WHEN HE WAS SAYING "SELAM YEMIGELIGUTINA YEMAYFELIGUT YILEYU"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!! YOU BLAME HIM FOR STRIVING TO BRING DIPLOMATIC SUPPORT?! WHAT THE HECK, DO YOU THINK ETHIOPIA CAN SURVIVE AS AN ISOLATED NATION???!!!! AND WHAT THE HECK DO YOU MEAN BY "INSTEAD OF DEMANDING THE RESIGNATION OF MELES....". HOW THE HELL IS THAT GONNA HAPPEN? IS HE JUST GONNA LEAVE THE SEAT AND SAY CIAO AS IF HE HASNT KILLED AND MURDERED FOR THAT SEAT?! DO YOU THINK MELES WOULD GIVE A DARN TO AN OPPOSITION'S REQUEST OF HIS RESIGNATION?! IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE, ARE YOU FOOLS?! DO YOU UNDERSTAND POLITICS? DO YOU KNOW WHAT DIPLOMACY MEANS?

AND NOW, YOU ARE WORKING HARD ON DEVIDING THE OPPOSITION....HONESTLY, I THINK EPRDF MUST HAVE BEEN ONE OF THE DONORS ON THE DONATIONS YOU COLLECT EVERY FIRST MONDAY OF THE MONTH!

IF YOU HAVE REALLY UNDERSTOOD ETHIOPIAN POLITICS, YOU WOULD KNOW THAT THE MAIN SOURCE OF SUPPORT FOR THE CUD, SPECIALLY IN ADDIS, IS BECAUSE OF DR. BIRHANU NEGA!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY HAD A SLOGAN SAYING "YE DOCTOR MENGIST" REFERING TO DR. BIRHANU NEGA! WASNT LIDETU AND HAILU SHAWEL THERE ON THE LAST ELECTION? WAS THERE THAT KIND OF AN OPPOSITION POPULARITY BEFORE KESTEDEMENA CAME TO THE SCENE?! NAH!

ECH! ERE EDIYA....

Moderator,

If Berhanu prepared and signed the proposal with out consultation and authorization of the CUD leadership, as you seem to suggest, what is stopping the rest of CUD leadership from coming out in public and rejecting the proposal? All it takes is a Press Release to make this clear. I do not think this is the case.

Amkasa Doro

Thank you Mamo Qilo!

I think Ethiopian Review is just using this chance to get to Dr. Birhanu over their past 'qim' because he is not a hardliner like Shawul and Lidetu.

But anyway, anybody can fake those signitures...they are just initials. Or what if it was a draft waiting to be presented infront of the CUD executive? You've got minds, ask questions before running to conclusions! would ya?!

lets be wise

There is an urgent need for CUD to take an action about how to be both CENTRALIZED and Democratic. The general public should not be left in vacuum as to what is going on. Involving the wider representatives of Ethiopians to take a majority critical side is a good start and very wise of CUD's leadership.In the other side "individuals" and groups should not dare to "order" CUD or any committed Political organ to do this and that. To be exact Ethiopian Review should not go to the extent of telling CUD to show the door to one of its strong leaders. our attention should be on how to face the armed group of Meles. lets leave the internal administration of CUD to CUD itself. As concerned citizens we shall give constructive ideas.

Email: muleur@yahoo.com

City: Seattle

Dear Reader, I am not quite sure that he is doing alone the proposal so let us not balme him, let us give them a time and i am sure everything will be ok, so pls do not be urged to claim somebody else if, everybody make a mistake the main thing is to correct the failer so let us think otherwise everything gonna be,,,,
thanks

I agree with Mamo Qilo

If it is only the decision of the Dr. Why the hell the spoks person and others shut their mouth. I think Ethiopian review is going in wrong direction. Please just think about it, don't destoy our only hope. We need Dr. Birhanu.

Freedom loving and patriotic Ethiopians;

From the onset of the ongoing electoral crisis, Berhanu Nega among others have been the traitor and subversive element within the CUD executive leadership. This fact is now clear and apparent to all patriotic and freedom seeking Ethiopians the world over.

It is incumbent upon CUD to cut their loses immediately and move on vigorously and consult with the committed member of CUD to prepare the people of Ethiopia toward most viable options, namely, reject the electoral results based on document evidences of NEB's partiality and biased rulings favoring the ruling party, and demanding total reelection in all those disputed precincts. Secondly, CUD begin the campaign to mobilize all civic and religious organizations for a protracted peaceful civil disobedience across the country. It is imperative that the CUD leadership concurrently call upon all armed forces to abide by the constitution and an moral duty to protect the people agianst a murderous tyrant and side with the people of Ethiopia. Persistently the military must be made aware that they too have a steak in the emancipation of Ethiopia from the yokes of tyranny and not become the instruments of destruction of a dictator whose aim the destruction of the country.

We call upon CUD's executive committee members urgently to begin the process of preparing the people for a necessary protracted struggle and sacrifice with assurance that all Ethiopians throughout the world stands with them to join the struggle.

There is nothing more that the ruling dictator fears than putting the military to the test only find out that the armed forces will side with the people and stand down any order. There is no doubt that the ruling party is unsure of and fearful that the military will refuse to carry out any order against the people.

The opposition party must not lose this window of opportunity and waste critical time squabbling about further legal recourse when the results of any court ruling are predictable. The dictator is doing every thing by bluffing anf threatening the oppostion forces to buy time and carry out its brutal retribution against all Ethiopians. Now is the time for gathering the peoples power and create the critical mass necessary for the people’s victory.

Ethiopians worldwide expect the leadership of the CUD and opposition forces to take the leadership without further exercise in futility.

Beheg-Amlack

i partly agree with Dr. Birhanu. As Meles asked CUD and UEDF whether they are in the fence( abide by the rule of the game) or not, dr. birhanu and dr. Beyene replied indeed they are . if that is the case, they have to accept the electoral results that is released from NEB. Saddly,the opposition made too many mistakes pre and post election periods.on one hand, they admitted that the electoral board is neutral so as they can contest in the election with the incumbents. on the other hand, once they appealed that the election was not free and unfair(i personally should be said before the election was happened), they were seeking international pressures from the EU and united states.moreover, once they allowed the investigation process to proceed, why the opposition couldn't accept the decisions by the board? all in all, i would say that is the lack of experience and not knowing EPRDF very well.by any means, TPLF/EPRDF won't transfer the power peacefully.thus, there are two choices left.either join the parliament(which will not significantly change the politics of the country) or not join and try a military struggle ( which is again needs some heroes and sacrifying more lives).

City: a.a

There may be something that we didn't know. The proposal was issued on Friday and on Saturday most of the tabloids in Addis carried the full statement of the proposal. We are here on Monday and the CUD and UEDF leaders had plenty of time until today atleast to denouce that or say something about it. So I feel that it is a plan that was worked on atleast with some higher officials of CUD and UEDF.

Moderator, let us have the patience and it is good to see it for sometime instead of proposing on Dr Berhanu's removal from his position. We have to value what he has been through until we reach this stage. So I feel that Berhanu will not let us down. I am eager to hear what the leadership of CUD and UEDF are saying about this issue - especially the very top leadership - Hailu Shawel and Merara.

Email: tarike@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

Guys,

The only constructive role the diaspora community can play is a supporting role. Let us leave the leadership role to those who are on the ground and have full information.

CUD is a new organization, it has so far made many good decisions. It is bound to make errors, but n the balance it has taken the movement forward in leaps and bounds.

This stoy that the proposal is he making of one individual is nonesense. Some of you guys are planting the seeds of division between CUD and UEDF. And now ER is throwing a monkey wrnech by suggesting Berhanu Nega has betrayed the people and CUD. Let us stop dividing the opposition. Let us stop serving the interest of Meles.

The proposal is a well thought out proposal and there is nothing in it that cmpromises on principles. It provides a way out of the impass, while standing firm on the pricipal issues. Yes, the language is not as strong as some of us would have lied to see, but the substance is as solid as the last two joint press releases.

Mamo Qilo

QUESTION;

What do you think is keeping the tyrant TPLF and melese in power?

a) The military?
b) The international Community?
c) TPLF?
d) EPRDF?
e) The people?

What would be the outcome of the current crisis if the military were not the critical factor in Meles’s existence?

Now we know where Lidetu Ayalew is and where Brhanu and Beyene stand.

Where you do suppose the wise and shrewd hopeful leader Hailu Sahewe is?

Has the opposition party really exhausted all of its options before acquiescing to a suicidal comprise that is tantamount of playing musical chair with Meles by TPLF's rules?

All things considered, I endorse Meheg-Amlack's call for mobilization and a protracted show of force by all the people and strong leadership by the opposition.

I am ready to join the struggle, are you?

My dear compatriots,,, please let's wait another day or so,,,let's not pass judgements that could hurt possibly innocents,,,,,it could be just another hoax, like the YARA's prize letter,,,we don't know. Or it could be, some misunderstanding,,,, that has genuine explanations,,,, we don't know. But if we just wait, another day or so,, I am sure we will get some explanation from the CUD. When facing things like this, I guess it won't hurt to pray for everybody. May God bless you all!!

Selam Moderator,

I have participated in the Teleconference with Lidetu yesterday. He seems very disappointed, but he was expressing his views in a very diplomatic way. That was one of the leadership qualities he possesses, just like eng. Hailu Shawl.

What I understood from the conference is that a mistake is done esp., by Dr. Berhanu for not consulting the CUD leaders.

But there are ways to undone the mistake and stop such a big mistake to persist than "show Dr Berhanu the door". I have reason to say that. As you see it from various forums, Ethiopians are very concerned and sensitive on this issue. ... I would rather say CUD take corrective measures and clarify the confusion made by Dr. Berhanu than saying let him go.

I am also calling these party leaders for some clarifications to late the people know what went wrong and why?

Regards,

Kinfu Assefa

Email: kinfuassefa@gmail.com

City: Amsterdam

Those of you who are calling for armed struggle, you should not support CUD/UEDF. The CUD/UEDF coalition has made it clear that it is a peaceful movement. There are other organizations that have not denounced armed struggle that you can join.

It serves no purose to say I am ready to die for my country from 10000 miles. Or are we planing to form the armed struggle from US and UK and move east to Ethiopia. I am sure we will liberate so mamy countries while marching to Ethiopia, may be including Eritrea. Wo knows, the likes of Beheg Amlak may be the Churchils of our time and generation. In short, et us cut the crap.

Ankasa Doro

Ethio Honest,

Under the best and worst circumstances, ER has managed to report to good with the bad. ER reported whatever the story is and i don't believe they have the access to corroborate anything that is reported out of Ethiopia. Before passing judgment on ER, I suggest that you ponder on the veracity or accuracy of the so called news reported by the likes of NY Times, News Week, Washington Post, Ethiopian media, BBC, etc, etc, etc...

Remember, where there is smoke there is bound to be fire..

I am sure I don't speak for ER, and I certain that can speak adequately for their reporting. However, I still prefer to hear it like it is and follow the trail from there on.

Explorer

Kinfu, Did Lidetu confirm that Dr Berhanu issued the proposal without even consulting them? This is really odd. If that is the case may be the same is true with Dr Beyene. But whatever it takes these two people are the most trusted ones by many Ethioipians including myself.

Even if Berhnau did it by himself we should not be on the forefront in saying Berhanu should be out of the picture. Instead it is good to corerct the mistake before it is too late. Berhanu have a strong backing in Ethiopia and it is always easy to keep the backing by admiting their mistakes. This is what we need to develop as a culture, critising ourselves, correcting our mistakes and drawint the lesson.

Please, please let us not add a burden on them by saying he should be out. We should contribute to the untiy of our people and peace of our country but if we continue like this we area pleasing Melese because we are working on the division of the oppostioon leaders.

The role of all Ethiopians in this kind of sitution is to help in finding solution instead of being part of the problem.

Ato Kinfu,

What does it mean by "not consulting the CUD leadership." I understand Lidetu has resigned and is no the spokes person, but still remains to be a part of the central committee. Did he suggest, for example, Ato Hailu was not informed and this decision was Berhanu's and Berhanu's alone. If so I would have a problem, but I do not think this to be the case. In todays world it takes no more an hour or two than a day for the CUD leadership to reject this officially as well as unofficially. For this the right individuals are the spokes person and the chairman of CUD and UEDF. Neither charirman (Hailu or Merara) has rejected the proposal nor distanced himself from it. What is next? Are we to say Hailu is a traitor and should be shown the door?

Ankasa Doro

Misty_Blue,

What is the matter with you, what do you see wrong in ER reporting any story that is out there. ER is not fabricating any story. The sooner you understand that the more rational you will become. Anyone could have reported what ER reported, even through the rumor mills, Ethiopians traveling fro Ethiopia to USA, EU, etc.

Give credit where credit is due. The least you could do is thank ER for arranging the teleconference with Lidetu Ayalew. Who could have done that, certainly not CNN or the New York time nor BBC.

If you don't pay ER's bill you have no right to complain....plain and simple. Sharrraaap of put up the $$$$$ for their effort.

With love & affections - Explorer

Tarike, Yes. Lidetu said in black and white that CUD didn't know about the proposal. He even went to say that they (CUD leaders) saw the proposal on the weekly tabloids. If this is the fact, we could say that there is a problem, at least, if not mistake. But I share with your view of resolving the problem in a very pragmatic approach.

Regards,
Kinfu

Beheg Amlak,

You are a brave man. I, too, would e brave and fearless to be apart of the armed struggle in Ethiopia, if I am taking part in the armed struggle from the comfort of my house in Virginia with a remote control and a cold beer handy and a bucket of pretzels close by.

There are over 77 million Ethiopians in Ethiopia to pay the sacrifice you are calling from 10000 miles from the heat of things. Gegnaw Beheg Amlak I tremble under your bravery and fearless resolve to die and to kill for your country. The only thing is that what you have is a remote control ot a grenade. But that is only a syntx.

Ankasa Doro

i personaly agree with the moderator.if dr brhanu made such big mistake before the blood of inocent people dried,he should be let go becouse he betrayed the millions people of suffering with out common sense.so dear moderator i support your stand against such people who want to play dirty game on the deffenseless people of ours.

Email: wonder@yahoo.com

Thanks for the information Kinfu.

Then this is a sign of danger. I am afraid what the next step will be. We expect a mature way of solving the problem from the CUD. By the way we are only reading about the CUD but if the same is true with UEDF that will also be a problem.

My vision was the unity and joint effort of CUD and UEDF in this process of dealing with the Meles regime.

Let us pray and ask God to lead us in the right direction.

Folks,

The way I see it unless otherwise proven to the contrary, I very much doubt Berhanu appreciates or understands the magnitude of the trust of the people who voted for him. Berhanu is what you would call a typical western primadona, who likes to rub elbows with westerners and impress them with his dubious academic accomplishments. He would be better off somewhere at the bottom of a think tank, rather than be entrusted with the expectation of the people who elected him. The people who elected Berhanu, did not vote for him to assume some cabinet position with Melse and Bereket, and spend the rest of his afternoons playing tennis at the grand palace with his buddies Melse and Bereket.

A pauper, a con man, and skilled smoke and mirrors artist. He should spare his constituents and return the votes to the people.

That is my solemn oppinion.

Beheg-Amlack

Beheg-Amlack

I was supporting UEDF until today, If CUD's Dr Berhanu made such decision by himself, he should be given a chance do the right thing and resign first before letting him go. If the story is true CUD will start to have my support. So dear moderator I support your stand and keep up the good job.

Moderater;
Why are we makeing this news "A BIG DEAL" after all it would have been better for CUD,UEDF and even EPRDF to avoid a bloos shed at this time. Let us not forget the contribution Dr Berhnus in the past few months.He has no perpose or special intrest than to serve the people, he is the very few ethiopians who decided to serve his contry and moved back home and after all the the sbstance of the proposal was not a bad choice.
i have seen the proposal posted on meny oposition web sites and i don't think that is the idea of Dr Nega alone.
By the way; his dipolmatic effert did not fail. He did all he is supossed to do but international openions are not always based on facts rether on conties interests or trend of power. He should not be blamed for Tim Clark is blind and deaf to the cry of Ethiopian voters.

Qilloo;

Ayizok, no one will draft you, just stick around for the freedom ride and pontificate your virtues of fear, doom and gloom. You suffer from a self inflicted parania with the though that 77 million people will dies. Is this your best wish for Ethiopians; though I am not presuming you is an Ethiopian.

I suggest you go to your abode, wherever that is and make your self some omelets, and don't forget that you have to break a few eggs to make omelet. Get my drift?

"Ye sew gulbet ena mook wouha ayitegebem" and that goes for your sort.

Beheg-Amlack

Forum particpants,

Today at lunch time EPRDF announced in the government media that CUD doesn't have the interest to share power with them. ETV quoted Ato Lidetu's teleconference with Tensaie radio by saying that the proposal is the intiative of Dr Berhanu without consultation with the other CUD leaders. The ETV said that the proposal has the CUD stamp on it and Ato Lidetu clarified this by saying that they didn't discuss the issue in their meetings and came into decision concering this issue. Instead this has been the thought of UEDF and on the side of CUD they read about it simply from the tabloids on Saturday.

What I admired from Ato Lidetu's saying is that he didn't go far to blame Dr Berhanu, but he said there is a need to take corrective measures on some points.

How dare the ETV quote Ato Lidetu on this issue? Because this is a sign of division and they are happy about it!!!!!!

Why didn't they try to clarify the issue with the other CUD higher officials like Dr Hailu?
Because they don't want the public to know the real fact. Instead they prefer the information to be like this so that the public will be confused.

I think at this point we should wait for the press release or some clarification from CUD.

Azenenal and Tarike,

Thank you for your first-hand information from Addis. We understand that Woyane uses all means possible to divide and destroy the struggle of democratic forces.

No wonder ETV refered ER or Tensae Radio, the media that are exposing the poll-fraud and attrocities of the regime in power.

One thing we should not forget is the peoples' determination for change. If the people are determined, the problems created by leaders are minor and can easily be solved.

Elias,even thogh i appercited your efforts on this matter Shame on you!!!!! How in the world you are advocating ideas like this? you seem to forget the very fact that Dr Berhanu is the intellectual arcticet of the formation of CUD in the first place!
Unless we allow people to have some room to have differences on how to solve any of the hundreds of problems we have, i don't see having a bigger opposition...
your idea that "it's only your way or CUD, must no exist" is utter ignorance and blidness!

Email: getaneh1@gmail.com

City: Dallas

This is a big shame to see on the Ethiopian review website, which I consider very informative and full of content. What ever you have there doesn't reflect the CUD members view. CUD members gave their heart and voice to the CUD executive branch, which can decide on behalf of any CUD members. That is the whole idea of a party. I can agree there may be members who can have reservation on the decision. But please, don't ever call names of the hero of CUD like Berhanu who is doing such a wonderful job in such trying times. The message may orginate from the diaspora CUD supporters who doesn't have any clue what so ever about the situation back home.

We in Ethiopia are behind CUD executive members and will accept any decision they make for the benefit of the Ethiopian people

Email: kyisfa@gmail.com

We don’t know exactly what is going on inside the CUD. Please be long, wide and deep sited. Don’t be emotional to criticize important people without knowing the fact. No one did show Dr. Birhanu to become part of the CUD. No one have the Right to show him also the way out. It must be the job to members of the CUD. As long as they don’t come with clear request asking the Ethiopian people to solve some differences among them, we have to leave the CUD alone supporting them only when it is necessary. Dr Birhanu is the man of integrity and competent looking good to his mother future, Ethiopia. Thanks to this site, we have many duties to do in our part rather than criticizing our leaders without knowing the reality.

Any way the Proposal to create a NUG is rejected by the TPLF. We have to talk about and what we have to do next. Read the following:
Part I
Our country is facing the worst enemies ever has happened to her. We all know how the 15 may election conducted. It was brutally high jacked by TPLF cadres (meles, Bereket, Arkebe---) and group of kehady, hodam, foolish and animals called NEB (handpicked by an x president-meles who took power with gun). Because of the sake of the country, the visionary and very much aware off the country, the opposition parties who have mandates and supports from the Ethiopian people requested the TPLF created EPRDF regime to form a National Unity Govt in order the situation peacefully be solved.
Those who have no idea about peace and freedom blatantly rejected this very important proposal, disrespecting the oppositions and mainly the Ethiopian people. It is now clear to all Ethiopians about the TPLF stand towards Ethiopia when this proposal simply, quickly and angrily ignored by those few TPLF criminal friends rather than the so called coalition members, EPRDF. The 14 year relationship between TPLF and the rest of the coalition members in the EPRDF comes clear to the Ethiopian people when every decision concerning the country maters especially the important ones are deciding only by the TPLF members (Meles, Bereket, Arkebe) and kehadi Addisu legese and sometimes the x- taxi chauffeur (Dawit Yohannes) who is very much affecting his own people while helping the TPLF criminals.
Now the first option to save our country is rejected by criminals who are relaying on harassment, terror, prison and killing. Now it is clear to us that as long as the TPLF are not in power, they don't care about the country and people. It seems to me that they are looking forward in order law and order disappeared from Ethiopia hoping to prolong their resident in our palaces. It seems to me that they are more than ready to do anything only to benefit themselves.
The question now is, what the oppositions and the Ethiopian people have to do next? War, hate, destruction, division, hunger, poverty, diseases, terror and the likes are the best ways the TPLF cadres are looking for in our people. They are champions this way leading the 72 million people since they appeared in picture with their negative actions.
TPLF is created not for the sake of the Ethiopian people but we all know the answer the reason why. The oppositions’ vision and approach to the situation in our country must be very different that the TPLF cadres are. If we approach them the way they want us to be that way (hate, war, disagreement, disunity, weak---) they will stay over our head and shoulders until all of us disappeared because of causes they are creating for this purposes.
The oppositions must stay uniting and clean from personal interests. If there is no country, there exist no people even to call. If there are no people, there is no way to satisfy personal interests. So, we all first have to secure the well being of our country rather than looking to implement personal visions. We have to understand that as an individual each of us are different. But as people we have to have common grounds. We have to know how to give and take. We have to develop a win- win or win –loss behaviour not because of individual or group sakes but the sake of the majority. We need also to understand the implication of important choices we are making towards the majority. To carry responsibilities concerning the nations matter is not a joke. It is the highest responsibility, achievement and sometimes punishment against personal interests. Especially in the case of our country, to be a good politician is not easy. But live a hard life committing oneself for good cause worth much more than any body in life wants to achieve. Look the situation in our country. Why is it the way as it is? It is because of human error. The different between countries is based on development activities. Look America, Europe, Asia, Middle east, the different between them and us is created by human. By nature our country have more gifts than cold Europe or desert middle east. The point is, the reason why we became known as beggars, poor, under developed , etc is not by nature but by ourselves. So, it is the interest of each of us from now on to work hard towards development and prosperity. We have to give first priority to the first choice looking the situations from many angles.
Now TPLF cadres are rejected the NUG. They acted as if the leadership position is given to them to spread hunger, misery, destruction, division and hate among the peace loving Ethiopian people. Right here, I will be happy if I hear their ideas concerning this issue from the 3 biggest coalition members of EPRDF. Are they the new EPRDF members that going to use democratic process inside the party first rather than bluffing against the people through media? How is it possible the smallest coalition members in the EPRDF (TPLF) still are using the best properties, positions, and anything the country has while the 3 biggest coalition represents which are more than 80% of the party and 90% of the population. Wake up the new EPRDF. You have to remember the name NEW EPRDF is give by Gojjame who is I, the one that his people vote in East Gojjam is stolen by TPLF and NEB joint conspiracy. Because of your service to the TPLF cadres against the interest of the Ethiopian people, you will never reach to paradise but to hell. If you are healthy and full grown human being, you would be mad with yourself because of the action you are doing, serving the criminal cadres of the TPLF. Do you know what they did to our country and our solders when they were Gorillas? Don't you understand what they are doing to us since they took power 14 years a go? Don't you ashamed off yourself when you give respect and follow criminals who have no right to become leaders after committing so many crimes and looking very much to continue with their atrocity? I know soon rather than latter am going to see practical reactions from members of the EPRDF against the TPLF members if they have not lose completely their human conscious when their country is abducted by the smallest coalition (TPLF) members.

We, as one nation have to give unlimited support to the oppositions. We have to understand that they are facing the worst creatures (TPLF) cadres and it is not easy to them to score points we all are looking for to the sake of our country. They are facing the worst enemies than those known wild animals who are killing to eat for their survival like tigers and lions. I think sometimes it could be easy if the oppositions approach those naturally wild animals to make the domestics rather than to meet face to face with TPLF inhuman creatures for the sake of the country. They are living in people's palaces and villas. They are using people's property. All of them came with nothing and now they are the richest people in the country and in Africa. They are using us to the maximum. Yet in place of appreciation, they are determined to kill us with weapons bought with public money. If they are human, they would do anything for the sake of the country long a go when poverty took charge in every body’s life. But as I said we are facing the look like humans with empty soul and direction towards God's way.
The oppositions have to continue with their peaceful resolution the crisis with the so called govt. For the sake of the country we have to prepare to the maximum doing anything even we personally don't believe with. But we have to draw lines to cross and not to cross. The people vote must be respected. It has to be the main duty to all opposition parties. There shouldn't be any compromise against the people’s interest. The NEB is proven to be part of the TPLF. The oppositions have to end their active relationship with this proxy bad Ethiopians serving the TPLF interest.
The oppositions need to intensify their diplomatic mission with practical approaches. For example they have to explain with written documents about the whole Election process, the constitutions, about the nature of the Govt from its beginning, about the danger of its policies, about the chronic poverty situation in the country, about the harassment, killing, imprisonment etc and especially about the relationship between NEB and the Govt. The govt also has to be charged with its crime against humanity especially about the killing of youths and mothers in front of their house in daylight. The pictures have been seen by the international community. So, the diplomatic war against criminal TPLF cadres and NEB has to be intensify by the oppositions and by Ethiopians everywhere we are. The oppositions have to have close contacts with civic organizations. The Ethiopian teacher association, students organizations, Media groups, women organizations, Business people, religion organizations and with every Ethiopian. They have to understand that they are heroes to the Ethiopian people. They also have to understand that the Ethiopian people totally relying on them. Because of their big responsibility, they have to have very healthy, clean, clear tie relationship with the Ethiopian people. They have to know that they are leaders to the 72 million Ethiopian people. Every one is on the line actively supporting them and if anything happens to them there are millions to carry on the struggle. Woyane have no ability to kill, imprison or do whatever bad things to silent the determined mass Ethiopians. The nanny to unwanted and unblessed Baby meles (Legese) Tony Blaire, the manager to the childcare centre, Bush and those who are looking to take care the after school parentless meles will never stand against the Ethiopian people. If they know the Ethiopian people are determined to topple these few TPLF cadres, without additional explanation, they will be with us.
We are the first responsible to our matters. But don't forget we are living in the global world. TPLF also made our people to be totally dependent on the west as worst as to save our life. It is shame but this is the reality. We have to do anything to solve the situation without major crises. But if it comes about the people choice, there would be no any compromise. I personally will never forgive to myself if the stolen people's vote from East gojjam is not given back to the hard working, innocent, determine, hero, believer and Ethiopian lover residents with millions. My families, neighbours, relatives, friends and people in East Gojjam will never accept the cheat by those from Tigry who committed many crimes against the good and true Tigrian people, too. Many people from east Gojjam as it was happened from the whole Ethiopia didn't die in Adwa or in any battle to save the Tigrian people in order those saying from Tigry to cheat them with their vote in daylight. Here I’m not just talking behind my compute but it is my deeply internal feeling, I already determined since 15 may election that if the people vote is not respected peacefully, I would fight the fight never happened before against TPLF members and Kehadi NEB until I passed away. I will not enjoy the life after I knew TPLF cadres have stolen my people’s vote and as the result they are again the rulers, illegally. I and they we all born the same way. Their right and my right to my people is the same in the right way. They have no right to live life at the expense of the Ethiopian people. I give them time. If they don't listen. We the children of Belay Zeleke know how to fight the enemy. Do they know Bamlaku? Do they know Wobale? Do they know the people of Bichena, Motta, Debre Markos, Enesse, Basso, Machakel, Debre Elias, Wament---. They have no idea about the people of Gojjam. All of Gojjam are the same. There is no East or west Gojjam. If they admitted west Gojjam voted the opposition, that means without further explanation east Gojjam also voted the opposition. As they did among the Ethiopian people, they are trying to divide the homogeny, proud, hard working and one family residents living in the whole Gojjam. We are living in one big and beautiful home protecting by God, (abay). No Gojjame, No Ethiopian will accept living under difficult life caused by people so called leaders. Except God, no one has the right to determine anyone’s life, especially those criminal TPLF cadres not, period.

Email: Ghion@hotmail.com

Because of i couldn't post at once, here is part II

I also very much want to see the Tigrian stand concerning the current situation in Ethiopia. Although all tigrians have got no even a little respect by TPLF cadres as they denied their right to vote, their brothers and sisters from the rest of Ethiopia and worldwide are thinking of them. Behalf them the rest of the Ethiopian people have got at least the right to vote although the TPLF took the result illegally to become again illegal leaders. When the majority of the Ethiopian people are fighting to get the stolen vote back, people in Tigry who have got no right even to gather, discuss and vote seems are happy about the current situation in the country. When the rest of the Ethiopian people are dying and suffering by TPLF cadres who are saying came from Tigry, the tigrians are not showing their sympathy to the suffering Ethiopian people and their objection against the TPLF cadres. We all know if TPLF members get even a little practical opposition in Tigry, the situation in the country would be better in the mater of days. If they continue being silent and turn their face while their brothers and sisters are suffering and dying by few cadres using the people of Tigray illegally as their backers, then it would become clear the Tigrian stand towards their Ethiopian brothers and sisters on one side and their open and secret positions towards the TPLF, on the other.
As they are part of the Ethiopian people, their relationship with the Ethiopian people is the best interest to them rather than with those handful criminal Eritrean blood TPLF cadres. Despite People in Adwa and the rest of Tigry know meles’s father and his grandfather from Tigry and another grand father from Eritrea (his mother side) were bandas and the hate feeling towards Ethiopia including Tigry in the Meles family is a generations old and deep rooted, brave and faithful tigrians are still accepting him to do what ever he wants against Ethiopia. First he made our country landlocked, then Eritrea became the biggest coffee export country in Africa while there was/ is no a single coffee tree there, then he created war in order to kill our young people with thousands. Meles jailed, killed and forced them to exile the true Ethiopian, born in Tigry because of their stand towards Ethiopia. Do you know the relationship between Iseye Abraha who is languishing in prison because of his stand to his country port situatin, and Arkebe Equbay? Do you know who is Arkebe with his billions of birr worth Cash and property? Yet the Tigrian people are listing and accepting what these few cadres are saying and asking them.
Ethiopians living in Tigry are God loving people. We all know we have many things in common starting from religion and other traditions. We are the same people living together since existence. We have the same face, we have the same tradition, we have the same forefathers etc. In Gods name, way do you believe when the TPLF cadres saying to you “if TPLF is not staying in power, the rest of the Ethiopian people will kill you?” We know they have no respect to you too as they completely lost respect towards Ethiopia. But it is difficult to think off even for a while the so called leaders on one side saying to the rest of Ethiopia “the Tigrian people are backing us and we are working for Tigry.” On the other side they are wishing in order people in Tigry became antagonist with their brothers and sisters in the rest of Ethiopia. They are so sick thinking bad for you. They are undermining you as such without these criminal cadres, you have no ability to live by yourself. They are very negative cadres terrorising you saying “The Amhara, Oromo or else will kill you “while their secret is having you to back them to stay in power. They perfectly know if they get opposition in Tigry, they will not be leaders even for more than one day.
So, as these criminals are saying “we have support by the people in Tigry”, anything happening against the rest of the Ethiopian people by these criminal few cadres, will be seen directly linked with innocent tigrians, too. It may not be the right move. But as long as they used the Tigrian people as their cover and the tigrian people also do nothing about, then who are they? The wish of the Ethiopian people from Tigrian is not tomorrow, not after many damaged have been made, not after many hostilities created but today they must join actively with the fight against the enemies of the Ethiopian people. You have got no right to vote at all. But when you became silent concerning the 15 may election, it is difficult to ignore your neutrality with the TPLF cadres who are terrorising and committing unreversed crimes against our common country and people. Your brother and sister relationship with all Ethiopians is facing a very big test. You can’t ignore without showing your stand. If you continue keeping silent as if there is nothing happing while the future to our country lays in big question, then it is easy to conclude about you stand towards Ethiopia.
Since 15 may all Ethiopians in the country and Diaspora are expressing their objection against the TPLF cadres’ activity towards the Ethiopian people. We are looking all Tigrians in the country and abroad to join their brothers and sisters for the sake of our country. We all have to admit that it is the matter of time. TPLF dominating regime in Ethiopia is over. Soon or latter the Ethiopian people will take power in hands. The Tigrian contribution to this matter is very essential as the TPLF cadres are using them as their covers. But with or without them the Ethiopian people will win the battle. Before it is too late and created mistrust between us, Tigrians must join now for the sake of our common people and country and have very bright future together.

This is politics how it is stupid and SHERMUTA. As you know Politics means lies in Ethiopian tradition:

I always hate politics. Let science kill me. You can get big satisfaction if you are devoted for science:

If Dr: Brehanu lacks experience he has to learn: I feel he is so ambitious to do sth. for Ethiopia. His educational background from USA would motivate him more. But he needs to know Ethiopia with its people. It is absolutely different from USA in various aspects: Academy and politics are also very different. I am certain that Dr. Beyene knows very well EPRDF’s politics for the last 14 years:

Any way we need to wait for the real situation patiently: It might be rubbish propaganda from Meles:

Hopefully CUD will correct and avoid this little confusion as soon as possible for Ethiopian people:

I want also advice the entire people not to be anxious for every pieces of information.

Email: kuratekere@yahoo.com

City: Ambo

Are you serious about what you wrote???

I read your message advising CUD to remove Dr. Berhanu with a great dismay. Even if you dislike the proposal, you were supposed to publish your comments after seein the official stand of the CUD on the matter.
It is logical to find opposing views on the proposal from all genuine supporters of the CUD. Some may like it taking the content in good faith; others reject is because they fear that it can diffuse the zeal and determination of the people. I see both as genuine views, thiniking of a common end but striving to it through different means.

I recognize that no one has the authority to say I am more concerned for the CUD than the other. If there is anything done by breaking the rules of the CUD, it can be corrected without causing further damage through consultations, a good culture CUD is trying to cultivate in the country.
Apart from that, demonizing individuals who are working hard in their own way to a common end comes only from those who do not know the ABC of politics or undercover agents of the TPLF.

After reading your comments I am forced to to question your maturity or knowledge of responsible journalism (I am afraid, you may tell me that there is nothing like respponsibility in journalism). This is the least I can say about your way of handling sensitive issues at critical times. Mind you, I still do not want to make speculations about your motives or don't want to consider you as an agent bent to destroy the CUD or as having a hidden objective in return for some benefits.

May I give you a piece of advice:
PLEASE OPENLY APOLOGIZE YOUR MISTAKE IF YOU ARE SERIOUSLY CONCERNED ABOUT THE CUD AND WANT TO SEE IT OVERCOME THE CURRENT CRISIS THAN TRYING TO DRIVE A WEDGE BETWEEN THE PEOPLE AND THE LEADERSHIP!!

Email: nebiyouda@yahoo.com

City: DC

Dear Members:
CUD does not have a good programme and leadership. That shows why they can not do rule let alone to do a simple collective decision.
The people in Diaspora are even worse and play with emotion and they think that they can drive the political party by sitting in the Western capital and appeal to violence. No wonder Mengestu and a certain Negede are having a good time to deal with a people who have a short memory and push around with the wind of propaganda and evocation of emotional statement.
I do not support CUD and they will be the last party on earth to be supported by Somali Ethiopian since they publicly claimed to bring back the world of yesterday where Negede and Mengestu were killing left and right.
Moreover, this is the beginning of collapsing of sand house party a la CUD who does not have a programme that is not inclusive and run properly with principle and amalgamated with all kind of leftover of Derg and Old Ethiopian school of thought. Dr Berhanu has done his best to underscore political advantage for his party within the context of his possibilities in this election.

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

Moderator,

You should have waited until the CUD leadership announce the wrong doing of Dr.Berhanu if he taken such action without consulting the leadership. By the way, it could even be a crime if he used the official stamp of the party without being authorized.

I think you are attempting to inject your opinion in a wrong way.You should have used a different channel.

Nestanet

Dear Moderator,
You are within your right to feel that Dr. Nega be shown the door, but I think you are coming to such a harsh conclusion so fast. This is called Knee jerk reaction ala Mengistu. You above all else should choose your words very carefuly, don't be a tool for division. You can make your point across loud and clear without resorting to such macarthyism like delcaration. Any one in a position of responsibility MUST choose his languae wisely!! What is said and the way it is said has much reaching ramification, so be wise!

My opinion, you are dimsissing some one like Dr. Berhanu without having to talk to him most likely, he is not an idot and most certainly he loves his country. People like him are needed (no required) in the current policical arena in Ethiopa. Having read the entire paper, I don't see why this is such a crime where he must be summarily disowned. If he in deed do this without the concsent of the pary - CUD could easily retract it. This is very delicate time for the country - lets stay away from extrme statements from all sides - including EPRDF.

Email: mamo@yahoo.com

I am afraid u understand 'what unity gov't means".I think they tried to propose a transition government till next election and I also feel Dr. Birhanu won't let us down at this very very decesive time in our struggle for democracy.I can ashure u that Birhanu won't have such an ego and selfishness at all.
Let us wait till the truth comes out

Email: adunnna@yahoo.com

TO ER publisher

I do not know why you are so , so fast to take such decision. Please let us hear from other members of CUD,especially from the leadership. It is not good to come to conclusion from its premature stage.As to me I 100% trust Dr. Berhanu is striving positively. And his contribution for CUD's election achievements is tremendous. So let us not undermine this effort.

Email: btworkie2003@yahoo.com

City: Stuttgart

Some on this forum, including the Moderator and my own VJ are injecting their misreading of the proposal as betryal of the people. As a result what they are doing is turning out to be more devisive than what Meles and his crippled stooges (Gebremenamen and Ibrahim) are doing. Sad. But let me say this. The Ethiopian politics has passed a point of no return on May 15, there is not much the opposition or the government could do to turn back the clock to te old days. No mishap (if at all it is) on the part of the opposition will result in the extention of EPRDF life more than its days.

Let us assume that Berhanu made a bad call and assume also he did so without consulting the leadership, what is to stop the likes of Lidetu to stand up ad lead a velvet or orange revolution? Let us grow up. And let us nt divide and demoralize the opposition. This is a protracted struggle, many highs and lows. It is not a school theater you execute after many rehersal. I say grow up. Be responsible. If you do not lie it, Join Beheg Amlak he is incorporating an armed struggle in Virginia. He has already recruited two retired marines and a Naval Cadet. He is on his way to Addis via Ethiopian air lies.

Mamo Qilo

Hey Gojjam ,
It is borring what you have posted here. Do u think ppl will read this. Here you can post only short comments.
Next to that u r saying "Tigrians must join now for the sake of our common people and country and have very bright future together". What message do you want to transfer with that??? The people who are fighting the WOyane are only the Gojjams??? DO you suggest all the people who are struggling have to wear T-shirts saying I am Tigre, I am Amhara, Oromo, Gurage....and so on??? or what?

I am surprised by the ER moderator for suggesting the resignation of Dr Berhanu. I have heard Dr Berhanu multiple times. He is the reason for all the changes we see. One should remember that EDP and AEUP are parties who existed for years. They were infighting among themselves. However Dr Berhanu and folks instrumented the coming together of all parties. He was the engine force behind teh CUD. So one should not easily disregard the contribution of this dynamic ethiopian.
The accusation on Dr Berhanu is the fact he proposed a transitional government with EPRDF. Well, he may make a mistake in saying that without consulting others. That's a mistake. However the idea is a good one. ONE SHOULD NOT IGNORE THE POWER OF THE EPRDF... Whether we like it or not we have to deal with them.
At least Dr Berhanu is proposing something.... I guess I ask the moderator if he has some other idea ...to solve the impass.

Email: tazabi@yahoo.com

Blaming dr Birhanu would help only EPRDF

dear moderator
I think you guys don't read the proposal .It cals for a transition government to hold new election that is all. However, you werenot supposed to be this fast to say dr BRIHANU is a traitor. He will never be this kind of egostic and selfish person .We know him very well and the people Ethiopia as well .Eventhough he made a mistake we should give him a credit for what he has done . The people of Ethiopia need him . How come Ethiopian Review would come up with this kind of hasty generalization .Personally I am not happy with you .
ETHIPIAN REVIEW do u know that the article you post will make EPRDF happy , cause the doctor is one of the farsighted and fearless leader of CUD . So please becarefull next time to post damaging and divisive articles .It wouldn't help the struggle .
tanks

Email: dbirhan@dal.ca

First of this leaders in Addis have to be accountable to the ppl in and out of Ethiopia.. I believe they understand the role of the diaspora in the struggle against woyane. It was surprising to hear Dr. Berhanu have decided to put out an alternative proposal in the name of CUD without consulting with the leadership and surprising to many that some of the leadership isn't aware of the proposal. This clearly shows the contempt of Dr Berhanu for his collegues. I believe Dr Berhanu is doing what woyane wish for the CUD to happen..disarraying CUD. We clearly understand Dr. Berhanu was hand picked by Meles for the meeting, he even didnt consult his party before he met with Meles.. We understand the negative role he played during the signing of the investigation process which led CUD to its failure today, he made verbal agreements with woyane time and again without consulting with others. We kno to this day that he hangs out with people like Bereket simon and other woyane officals, talk politics, may be he receives tips from his woyane friends as to how he can help to disunite CUD and the eventual collapse.. we know him for his greed. Dr. Berhanu has done alot against the interest of Ethiopians and he has clearly showed his true side in the trouble time of the struggle.. we deserve an explanation from him as to his role in the CUD as soon as possible. We have given alot of our time and resources for CUD and wouldn't like to see such destruction role not corrected !!!

Is this a news organization or a site to voice some political agenda (anarchist)?

If it is a news piece, you should only present the information and let people make their own decision.

If is an opinion piece, you should argue your point with will documented facts, not with childish insults.

You are practicing poor journalism.

It is 2005, no one should advocate COUP D'ETAT, as you seem to be doing. We have seen coup d’etats in our country. It is antidevelopment and peace.

It is time we try something new and noble like what Dr. Nega is doing: compromise for the sake of Ethiopian people to establish a new political culture of peaceful power transition.

We appreciate Dr. Nega for being progressive and not stubborn and backward.

Let's be cautious before making a sweeping remark or outright condemnation. CUD did not approve the proposal does not mean Dr.Berhanu hasn't got a right to propose a solution. CUD is a democratic organisation and no thought would be taxed or censured.

CUD has been consulting the public to reach on a decision and everyone has a right to put his/her own proposal.

May be it is time that we all put our proposal forward so that CUD could benefit from all our wisdom and experience.

Regards,
Yared

Email: yarhm@aol.com

I personally completely and absolutely agree with Ethiopian Review suggestion. Yes, indeed Dr. Birhanu Nega is either he must be the world most foolish human being ever alive or he is an opportunist alike many others. But, I would rather tend to believe the later. This country of ours never had been blessed with true sons and daughters except those who are traitors and those who keep her bleeding to death. Obviously, there are very small and numbered genuine Ethiopians who are striving for the betterment of their motherland. However, they are outnumbered by the likes of Dr. Birhanu. The struggle continues and Ethiopia shall survive and will become the home of democracy as it is the cradle of humanity. It’s time for CUD to show Dr. Birhanu the door ASAP so that Dr. Birhanu can join TPLF/Woyan [EPRDF] any time he chooses and before he did it in the name of the people of Ethiopia.

Tigiste Aleqe

Email: taleqe@yahoo.com

City: America

ER,
You have lost all my respect. What a disgrace! For any one who has been following ER, it wasn't difficult to see your reservation about Dr. Birhanu right from the outset. This just happens to be the greatest opportunity for you to jump irrespective of all the consequences. Very, Very sad! I was wondering all along why ER isn't organizing a teleconference with Dr Birhanu. We recall the teleconferences ER organized with Dr hailu, Ato Hailu, lidetu, Engineer gizachew, Taye etc. Did he refuse? Or did you think that he is not good enough to have our ears? I am very much aware of the fact that he is one guy who clearly understands the limits of what the diaspora inlcuding ER can and can't do, so I wouldn't be surprised if you are scared of him. I thought, there was somebody in ER with something above his neck. What a shame! I have no idea how ER runs, but if there is any one responsible other than you, we demand that you resign rather. You have negelcted every appeal we made to calm down things and went ahead with your destructive appraoches against every odds. What a disgrace!

Moderator, Weren't the hundreds of demonstartions all over the world, the petitions, email campaings etc promoted by ER meant to bring about diplomatic pressure? How dar you then tell us that Birhanu's diplomatic effort is nonsense. What is that makes sense to you? Is it only the end which should justify the means?

Let me make my stand clear. I like the proposal whether accepted by Meles or not. I am also more than happy to learn that it is primarily an initiative of the two people in the opposition I respect most and have the greatest reepsect by Ethiopian people. I defintely expect and demand the two to respect their partie's rules and regulations. For your information, Birhanu Nega is probabaly the only true new blood in the oppostion for whom a lot of creidt should go with regards to the gains CUD made in this election. After all he was the campaign manager of the election that we are claiming to have been won by teh opposition and stolen. None of the other big figures: Prof mesfin, Lidetu, Beyene, Ato Hailu, Merara etc are realy new to the Ethioian politics in the recent times.

Mr. Moderator, While going to the extent of recomending sacking Dr Birhanu, you didn't mention who in the leadership has said they have no part in it. What is your reservation not to do so? Mr. Moderator, many of us, ER participants have great reservations about some of the leadership whom you hold dear, but we never aired our views for it serves no purpose and felt that it is not up to us to criticize them. what the hell is going on in your head to go this far? what other information have you withheld about Dr Birhanu to make you go crazy.

ER, Very unfortuntely, you have inflated yourself to a level more than you deserve. I know that for the lack of access to the public meida, the opposition particularly, CUD has turned its face to web sites like yours but, never overestimate your importance. When they get a real access to the people of Ethiopia, your importance will come to nearly zero.

For now, congratulations for all the damages you have inflicted and the dent you have created in the people's struggle.

Disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Dear Moderator,

I think you guys are drawing the gun to fast on Dr. Berhanu and Dr. Beyene. Even a quick reading of their proposal does not permit one to make the conclusions that Ethiopian Review is making.

Besides, I think we have to trust CUD leaders and be behind them at such crucial times since by creating a cleavage we are only giving way for Woayne to put more poison amongst us.

Indeed we have to air our opinions, but then before we jump and draw the gun, we have to cool down and look more carefully at the the things on the table and our surroundings.

Minyaregal

If dr. Berhanu had prepared and signed the proposal with out consultation of the CUD executive committee, the rest of CUD leadership would have reject the proposal and made it public in a simple press release. Lidetu is no more in the leadership of the coalition and may not be consulted. hence, the conclusion forwarded by ER moderator is sinful!

Lidetu is responsible for all this mess. He was/is not ready to accept the decision of the majority of the executive committee. That is why he resigned from his post of PR. He is responsible for blackmailing the CUD prominent executive member Dr.Birhanu! Did he ask dr. Berhanu whether the executive approved the proposal or not before heading to this divisive statement! Shame on him! Is Lidetu jealous on Dr. Birhanu success in ET politics???

Email: walta@yahoo.com

City: addis

Once again, the moderator engages in sem matfat (character assassination), saying that Berhanu has disdain and contempt for the Ethiopian people. It's one thing to say that Berhanu has done the wrong thing, even though that's jumping to conclusions since the moderator does not know the whole story, only what Lidetu has said. It's quite another to impugn his character. Character assassination is precisely one of the kinds of backward dysfunctional social behaviours that Ethiopians are striving to remove excise from our culture.

Now, to a more dignified discussion of the content of the political disagreements... Let's not forget that the opposition has been, from the start, in a tight spot, where, even if they play the strategy game perfectly, their success would be limited.

Let's look at the events one by one. The opposition decided to participate in the election despite the partiality of the election board. After voting day, the opposition were surprised by the extent of their support. When the rigging started, there was a move, not officially endorsed but not officially condemned by the opposition, by the public to protest. The EPRDF used this opportunity to disable the opposition and to illustrate that it can end unrest quite easily. The disabled opposition limped into the post-electoral investigation process. The weakened opposition was taken advantage of by the EPRDF in the post-electoral process.

Now, in hindsight, which decision points do we reconsider. Should the opposition not have participated in the election to begin with? What does Lidetu think, his theme during the teleconference, which is correct in a sense, being that one should avoid putting oneself in unwinnable positions? In my opinion, participating in the election was the correct decision.

Should the opposition have tried harder to stop the demonstrations after the rigging was publicized? What would Lidetu say? I would say yes, the opposition should have anticipated and stopped the demonstrations so that they could go into the post-election investigations at full strength. Let's keep in mind that when the rigging was started, the opposition was politically fully armed. The EU was making noises about irregularities and the election results were clearly manipulated. The opposition would have been able to get a much better post-election agreement than the one they have now. Then, once the bias of the post-electoral investigations showed, that would have been the time to call for demonstrations. And mind you, the ban on public gatherings would have been over, and even if it were not, the opposition would have been in a superb position, instead of the terrible position they were left in after the premature protests, after which they were blamed, even my donor nations, for the 'violence'.

So the major mistake, in my view, was not signing the post-electoral agreement with the EPRDF, although that may have been a mistake. It was the inability of the opposition to prevent the protests at the wrong time. Imagine what the protests could have done now! It's too bad, but the EPRDF seems to have eeriely anticipated the public protests with glee, to add. It was a gift to the EPRDF.

Anyway, hindsight's always 20-20. But even in hindsight, we can see that the situation was very difficult, and no one should be blamed for making the wrong move.

In the end, what I'd like to remind everyone is that what happens in the short run is not the most important thing. The opposition may accept the results with reservations or reject them outright, this is not what will bring the big change to the political landscape. The big change will occur with increased social and collective consciousness of the people, including the elites. If the opposition is able to continue to make great strides in this regard, there will come a time when the opposition to the EPRDF will be so strong that the EPRDF will not be able to push it around, spy on it, and so on. Today is not that time, and the weakness of the opposition, which is even as strong as it is in spite of itself, is strong evidence of this. But the day will come, and like all dictatorships, the EPRDF will die. For me, this is a fait accompli. The question left to us, those of us who are stakeholders in Ethiopia, is what kind of Ethiopia we want once they leave power.

Email: a@b.com

Re: Elias, your own credibility on the line

Hellow there dear Ethiopians and dear Moderator (Elias):
I have been watching your news outlet for the past few months since tension rose in Addis due to the election. It is obviously not only a news outlet but also an opinion outlet but I have no problem with that.
Now, I am not about to judge your patriotism by accusing you of anything. May be you're doing what you are doing out of sinciere concern for Ethiopia. But, your recent postings on Dr. Berhanu Nega was totally out of line.
I am forced to question your motives. No one, even here in the US, who hails himself as a supporter of a certain party throws such a vicious attack on members of that party. You haven't presented us with any evidence as to who opposed the proposal, just because you "thought so" doesn't mean anything to me. I see that the proposal is posted on Kestedemena.org which means that the members or the executive committee must have prior knowledge of it.
Also, have you tried to interview Dr. Berhanu Nega about it? You can't just throw accusations on a political leader without conducting these steps or else your own credibility will be put to the test. I here by request that you remove your opinion piece at once without any conditions in the name of all who support CUD and the opposition as a whole.

Dear all,
I would like to urge all supporters of the opposition and CUD in particular to be realistic. Sitting in safe corners of Europe and America, it is easy to critisize the leaders and everyone who does not think and do what each one us want. As a matter of fact, all our negative comments and accusations can only harm the struggle and does not help in any way. Give them constructive and feasible proposals.
Let us learn to be posoitive. Let us use this Forum for the benefit of the opposition forces rather than spreading EPRDF venom.
If you think Dr Berhanu has erred, then say so and give alternative proposal.
I would like to thank Nebiyou for his constructive views

Email: furaleta@yahoo.com

City: sterling

Hi friends!
Be patient. Don’t hurry to comment negatively. The fact that opposition’s leadership is infiltrated by EPRDF intelligence services, necessitated to discuss and decide some important issues by limited officials. The proposal is strong enough to make Meles deny it immediately. By doing this the opposition can win the diplomatic game. I don’t believe that the main objective of the proposal is to share power with the tyrant and murderous regime. It is evident that Meles also do not want to share power with the opposition. I think the main objective of the proposal is to win EPRDF in the diplomatic battleground. Therefore, lets wait with patient to see what it will happen.

Dear Regassa,

Judging ERDF's activity for the last 14 years, I can’t say it is a coalition of 4 parties based on equal rights and obligations. TPLF is the smallest coalition party with 37 seats in the parliament. Yet all high positions including diplomatic posts are occupied only by members of these criminal cadres. At the moment who is the Prime Minister? who is the foreign minister? who is the interior minister? who is the justice minister? who is the joint chief? Who is a manager or boss to government offices and institutions, take example Gumruk and so on. All of them are from TPLF. So, Dear Regassa, EPRDF is an empty house built and owned by TPLF cadres. If there was/is democracy inside the EPRDF, I will recognize the party as one of the main party in Ethiopia. The reason why I’m calling the new EPRDF is also to motivate the 3 biggest EPRDF coalition members to stand for their right and the right of people they are representing.
I have no desire or dream to stand for one ethnic group or few groups. My desire is a strong, democratic and prosperous Ethiopia. When I said my people in Gojjam, I’m not saying the rest of Ethiopian people are not. Even by birth I’m not from Gojjam. I’m from south. The reason why I’m mentioning Gojjam in my writing is to protest and show the Ethiopian people that the worst vote rigging has happened in East Gojjam. This is the point. I’m not from one Ethnic but the mixture of more than 2. I have no specific place to say this is my place. The whole Ethiopia is place. All the Ethiopian people are my people.
There are also TPLF members at this Forum fighting for Woyane. Their campaign is committing personal attacks. Do they know we even don’t care about them? My previous article has said the truth about the people of Tigry and their stand towards the current situation. instead of looking the situation critically and find solutions, a person like Ali is swimming in the middle of an ocean with out knowing the way out.

“Moderator could be looking beyond the document”

If CUD has to continue as a viable and vibrant opposition, not only Dr. Birhanu and Dr. Beyene Petros might be requested to go but CUD as such need to overhaul and re invent itself. It is incumbent up on all members of CUD, rank and file, to see inward within themselves and outwards for the people. The members of CUD have to critically evaluate the performance of their leaders. Those who have shown weakness and wavering have to be replaced with strong personalities who have the will and the traits to lead this movement towards victory. After all the commitment for democracy has to be strongly displayed in-house.

My guess is that the moderator did not see that much of harm in the so called unity government proposal. At its face value the document calls for future date re election; and a unity government is proposed to bridge the transition and avoid further confrontation and bloodshed. Well, irrespective of the quality of the document, it could be a blunder on part of Dr. Birhanu to release this document without the consent of other CUD executives. (Which I still doubt that they did not consent)

However, moderator may be trying to snatch this opportunity to suggest that some serious and urgent overhauling work is needed with in CUD. I will baldy put like this

‘Look you leaders of CUD, the beloved sons of Ethiopia, you need to go back to the drawing board, the whole CUD per se has demonstrated massive leadership failure at these times of crisis. You missed the signs, and the right moments. You missed the opportunity to strike the iron while it was glowing. Instead you poured iced water on the red-hot freedom-movement. Thank you for the extra ordinary work you did up to the day of the election. However, now politics has changed to a whole different animal, please adjust your self to the new challenge or give your horses to those who can ride through the new waves ….’

That much is fine with me. What is not fine is; is it really fair to stick the blame for this miserable failure on Dr. Birhanu and Dr. Beyene Petros (between the lines); who are the chief architects of the so called “diplomacy centered struggle”?

It is perfectly ok to wage diplomatic battle on the dictator, but it was also a perfect disaster to rely on “Western diplomacy: a known harlot” (excuse my language) by completely ignoring the importance of the simultaneous display of force. The mega force behind this whole motion (the Ethiopian people), were kept totally out of the loop.

The failure to execute diplomacy while simultaneously maintaining the momentum of peaceful collusion left us with nothing but deep frustration and sense of utter loss. For this, Dr. Birhanu and Dr. Beyene should take their fair share of the blame like any other democratic leaders do, but how about Eng Hailu and the rest of the executive members? What did the other leaders do to reverse this sure recipe for failure? Off course, I will clean Lidetu form this, who was astute and daring enough to excuse himself

If CUD has to continue as a viable and vibrant opposition, not only Dr. Birhanu and Dr. Beyene Petros might be requested to go but CUD as a whole need to overhaul and re invent itself. It is incumbent up on all members of CUD, rank and file, to see inward within themselves and outwards for the people. The members of CUD have to critically evaluate the performance of their leaders. Those who have shown weakness and wavering have to be replaced with strong personalities who have the will and the traits to lead this movement towards victory. After all CUDs’ commitment for democracy has to first shine within itself.

Finally, “What I call a champion is not one who does not fail but he who rises up from his failures and becomes the champ”

Yohannes S.

Email: shyohannes@yahoo.com

City: nashville

Printable version
CUD does not approve proposal on formation of unity government: Lidetu
Addis Ababa, 8/8/2005

Central Committee member of the Coalition for Unity and Democracy (CUD), Lidetu Ayalew said CUD knows nothing about the so-called new proposal CUD and the United Ethiopian Democratic Forces (UEDF) forwarded to Prime Minister Meles Zenawi calling for the formation of a coalition government in Ethiopia.

Lidetu made the remark on a Tele-conference conducted by the Ethiopian Review and Tensae Radio on Sunday.

Lidetu said he had no idea about how the UEDF forwarded a proposal calling for the formation of a coalition government with the Ethiopian Peoples Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF). "But, Lidetu said, as far as CUD is concerned, no such idea has been forwarded.

Lidetu said he learnt about the so-called proposal from newspapers, adding the said proposal was not endorsed by the leadership of CUD, rather it was forwarded by Dr. Berhanu Nega.

Responding to a question on whether the proposal document bear the name and logo of CUD, Lidetu said he had enquired to know if a decision of such nature were made in his absence, but in the presence of other UEDP-Medhin representatives, adding, he found out that no decision was made at any time concerning the issue.

Lidetu said corrective measures should be immediately taken as such procedures could invite problem within the rank of CUD.

Lidetu said it is not appropriate to demand the formation of a national unity government at a time when the overall results of the election are not yet known.

Lidetu said, so far the Council of CUD has not passed a decision to propose the formation of a national unity government as a way out of the present stalemate.

Lidetu said he believes such unilateral action is potentially problematic and inappropriate and that it should immediately be corrected. Currently, efforts are being exerted on the part of UEDP-Medhin to correct such acts.

Concerning the recent call made by Prime Minister Meles Zenawi for the leadership of CUD and UEDF to pursue only a peaceful and legal path, Lidetu said CUD should not in any way react [to such call].

That is because, Lidetu added, the Prime Minister has made such a call in his capacity as Chairman of the EPRDF.

The call was forwarded only for Dr. Berhanu Nega and Dr. Beyene Petros, who are executive committee members of CUD and UEDF, respectively, and not officially presented to the CUD.

The CUD executive committee member said if opposition parties felt threatened by the Prime Minister's demand and opt to decide against the interest of the people, they would make a historic blunder, that would pull the popular struggle over a decade backward.

Accordingly, Lidetu said, no one is going to give weight to the Prime Minister's demand. "The decision-maker in our strategy is none but ourselves; and it is time for us to get stronger than ever to coordinate the struggle."

Asked how far his position is acceptable on the part of CUD leadership, Lidetu said he is very much certain that it is the position of UEDP-Medhin, and that he do not believe that CUD's position would be any different.

"As this position is very much important to the people, the CUD and to the current struggle, I do not believe that CUD will pass decisions other than this," Lidetu said.

"I think, anything short of this decision will in the short time help decide on the who-is-who of the people in the struggle," Lidetu said.

Asked if CUD, after official declaration of final election results by NEBE, will take the case to the court, Lidetu said he personally believes that taking the case to court will bring more political bankruptcy, and thus is unnecessary.

Taking the case to the court while the outcome could certainly be anticipated will be another round of bankruptcy, he added.

Source: ENA

CUD is handling a very complex situation carefully, and we should let them do it themselves. Mr. Moderator I would like to disagree with you this time. If CUD finds out a party rule is violated, they will take care of it accordingly. Diaspora supporter and editors need to stop interfering with task of the opposition leadership. We all lack a political party discipline and it is going to hurt the struggle for freedom and democracy. I strongly beleive it is premature to discus and pass a verdict on this matter. Diaspora supporters of CUD should discourage this kind of public discussion on administrative and strategic task of the party.

Email: hhaile@gmail.com

City: MS

Please, let us all refrain from making judgement one way or the other.

Let CUD and UEDF handle their own internal affairs. As concerned citizens, we should be free to air our feelings and discuss the merits and demerits of the decisions and acts of the parties. It is not, however, right for us to try to make decisions for them.

Let us wait and hear what the CUD and UEDF have to say. So far, what I read is that Lidetu has confirmed the ER report. But Lidetu is one individual in the CUD leadership. We should wait to hear from the other leaders before we rush to conclusions.

May god give us patience!

How dare Dr Berhanu proposes that CUD form a joint government with EPRDF? If he wants a position in the woyanne government, he can go to Meles and ask him for himself, not in the name of CUD, a party that has been elected by the people of Ethiopia on May 15 to lead the country out of the woyanne extreme poverty to unity and economic prosperity. I fully support Ethiopian Review's call for the ouster of Berhanu. Berhanu's supporters (woyanne appeasers) are ganging up on ER. I say to ER, a job well done for calling a spade a spade. Berhanu is a failure, and you called him on it.

I believe that the Moderator has taken the right decission to question Dr. Berhanu's unilateral move. As expected of any news outlet the moderator initiated a timely and legitimate issue for public discussion. What's wrong with critizing leaders? Isn't that what we are struggling for? The leaders should be open to the public and be ready to face any criticsm. Thats the way to build trust and have confidence on them. We need to support our leaders and challenge them as well.

getahun

Email: getahun35@yaqhoo.com

City: Hyattsville

Dear All,

I just heard, on German Radio, that leaders of CUD are battling it out over the recent release of the request for a coalition government. The radio qouted Lidetu as saying thats just personal and not institutionalised while Dr. Berhanu refuted.

On another, but related news, the radio said that EUDF on its general assembly not only endorsed the request but also asked the EPRDF to accept the proposal.

I would like to hear Dr. Berhanu and/or any other CUD higher official to make the process clear. ( Those of us who participated the teleconference yesterday knows what the stand of Ato Lidetu is)

In anycase, I beleive the proposal was a good one ( now that the EPRDF has turned it down, it gives the oppositions a political/diplomatic victory w/out having to actually going through forming a government with EPRDF).

I also beleive that, both Ato Lidetu and Dr. Berhanu are prominent leaders of the opposition and none of them have to be reminded to close the door on their way out. Personaly, I beleive, though Dr. Berhanu's stand is strategically good, it is Ato Lidetu's way that will finaly get the people's vote respected.

But most of all, a drift within is the last thing CUD can have and is the last thing the public wants to hear.

What makes ER stands out as a uniqe medium is its aggressive reporting as well as its activisim for cause it believes in. Even those of you who disagree with the stand ER took regarding the proposal forwarded by Dr Beyene and Dr Berhanu should appreciate the fact the ER has provided you the forum to throughly discuss the proposal. This should be encouraged, because open discussion and transparency in our political parties will help, not hurt. ER has become a watch dog, instead of a mouth piece for any party. This should be appreciated.

I just listened to VOA and it seems that the proposal passed thruogh the legitmate procedures, according to Dr. Berhanu.

The proposal is posted on Kestedemena website and it hasn't been taken back.

I suggest elders committee get in between Dr. Berhanu and Ato Lidetu to try to reconcile their differences.

How come Lidetu is the only person to talk about the proposal assuming CUD, has he not resigned from a CUD's spokes person.. For me this person (Lidetu) is messing things, he has to shut his mouth. At this moment he is good for nothing. The problem at hand is beyond his capacity. He might have been good during post elction in opposing EPRDF, but now he and the likes are aggravating the situation.

The name of the game must be non-violent struggle by respected people who are ready to sacrifice themselves for Ethiopia as there is no other choice left.Do not forget the West supported EPLF and TPLF for no other reason than Mengistu was a Communist and they were on a mission to destroy Communism.If we think they do anything for the sake of justice,we are fooling ourselves.After all,they did nothing when 800, 000 Rwandans perished in the hands of murderous Hutu militias.So please think before you advocate armed struggle.I wonder where you expect to get the arms to fight with.

Email: zghiwet@yahoo.ca

Getahun wrote:

I believe that the Moderator has taken the right decission to question Dr. Berhanu's unilateral move.

First, no one is questioning anyone's moral right and obligation to question the leadership's actions. What the moderator did was question motive and character, and that's uncivilized.

Second, we don't know that Berhanu's 'move' was unilateral. We have only heard from Lidetu.

A reasonable statement from the moderator would be: If Berhanu has taken this step unilaterally, then he is wrong. This is not what the moderator said.

Finally, where is the rational discussion of CUD's actions until now and their future course of action? The moderator does not describe precisely why the proposal is a wrong move. He simply engages in some rhetoric about martyrs for the cause.

Email: a@b.com

There is a solution to the disagreement: why not dr berhanu join dr beyene in UEDF? CUD is not the right place for opportunists and office seekers.

dear ER i like ur site and appreciate how up-dated you keep it. But the comment you are posting about the proposal and Dr. Berhanu is immature and unethical. As a journalist you should be just providing information, not posting what you feel about every single situation.Dr. has proved time and again that he cares about our country and the people. And he has been working so hard to bring about changes. The very proposal he has delivered is one of his great deeds we have seen over the years. I don't really get what you are so mad about.Is it that the proposal is not good or that it has not been approved by the leaders?
If you think it is not good enough to solve the mounting problems in our country, then you didn't really understand it or you don't know Ethiopia and its people or the current situation. If you think it has not been approved by the leaders: do you think the stamp is kept in Dr. Berhanu's bed room? do you think he has the right to use the stamp whenever and however he wasnts it? if he can do that, then CUD has a lot to do before struggling for the people. Do you think a party with such organisation can lead a country? i think Dr. Berhanu is a good leader and CUD a good party with able leaders. I think u should change the way you see things.

Email: anbessaw_2000@yahoo.com

City: addis ababa

Thanks ER for providing us the forum to openly discuss Ethiopian issues. You are vigorously exposing a well-coordinated conspiracy by some opposition politicians to hand over victory to EPRDF, while trying to secure government posts for themselves. They are lashing out at you and Lidetu b/c you exposed them. You are a genuine unpaid public servant, and I want to thank you. My message to Berhanu is: the people's vote is not for sale!

Based on democratic principle, CUD members do have the right to share their personal opinion. Because it is not run by a dictator, unlike TPLF, you see differences of opinions. However, if Dr. Birhanu wrote that letter with no consunsses it is a mistake. Having said that I don't support throwing out somebody because he makes one mistake. No one is perfect. Don't get frustrated because there is differences of opinions. That gives strength if you handle it properly. Woyane is breaks it legs on the way because it is run by one individual. There rest just repeat what is said like micraphone. Don't expect CUD to be like that. Support CUD and UEDF as usual. Let god have mercy for the destitute people of Ethiopia.

Email: demelash@yahoo.com

City: Bahir Dar

Whether Dr. Berhanu has consulted the council or not I still want to comment on the contents of the proposal.
1.Meles has made it clear that he will not accept any coalition with CUD and UEDF. So, their proposal does not look genuine.
2.Even if the idea was good it should not have been proposed by CUD/UEDF. It should have been proposed by a mediator. It was a humiliation on the part of the opposition.
3.Proposing a unity government compromises the principle of respecting the people’s vote. It was mentioned in the proposal that the cabinet will be formed based on the May 15 election results. Have the results been released and have they been accepted?

4.The document was signed by the two people. As far as I know, they do not have a formal delegation of their respective parties. Besides, during his interview with VOA on Monday, Dr. Berhanu said he has consulted the council. I really doubt that. Who chaired the meeting? Has there been any minutes written?
5.The PM gave CUD/UEDF a ten 10 to 15 days deadline to respond and CUD had started meeting with people in Addis. There was also a CUD meeting a day after the proposal was written. Why were they in a hurry?

6.The two guys could have told the PM politely that it was not procedural for him to give them a warning because at the moment it is the NEBE who is chairing the process. Meles is just a contender who has not been told yet if he has won.

7.DIPLOMATIC EFFORTS ARE OVERDOSED. The international community would have reacted much earlier. But for them CUD and UEDF were too soft. They would not like to see too much softness. But still the likes of Dr. Berhanu are obsessed with diplomacy. They are expecting Bush or Blair to call Meles and to tell him to step down. I think Berhanu and Beyene have lost a bit of the meaning of power. As teachers, they have taken it as easy as shifting between courses lectured by two friends in a college. They also think that they can convince Meles to step down by begging him. They don’t have sufficient appreciation of leaders’ desire to stay in power. They think that in a democratic system leaders step down without pain. They forget that it is because leaders are afraid of the public that they step down when they lose elections. The only way we have is to pressurize the westerners and Meles to reconsider their decisions is to pressurize them. The only weapon we have is the people. Use it. And do not ever forget that the strength of the people’s power is diminishing with time. So, we should not give time to them. The proposed unity government will only give time to EPRDF to reorganize itself. CUD should call upon the Ethiopian people to start a peaceful struggle. By doing so they will even gain diplomatic support from the international community who need to see a convincing strength in the opposition. Remember, politicians are not fathers. They do not respond to begging and softness. They respond to public pressure!

Yazew.

Email: alemayehumek@yahoo.com

City: London

the Ethiopian TV and radio was broadcasting a shocking news, The source was Ledetu and ER. I know both they are true alliance of the struggle with The EPRDF. I believed the news was the usual fabrication of the Ethiopian TV.
I read a shocking news Berhanu should be out and I heard the interview with ledetu.
First of all you mess interpreted the proposal It is not a power share proposal permanently, they asked a transitional government to arrange the election.

Second how could you say that even it is wright opinion? how could the main architect of the the CUD be out and the struggle continues? don't you think this could be a total disaster?

Third Ledetu you have done a lot for years I don't want to criticize you in public but with out you also CUD cant be full but what you are saying is totally wrong how could you insist you ware wright how could you proof it? AND THE BIGEST PROBLEM OF YOURS IS THAT YOU ARE A PUPLIC FIGURE NOW WHAT EVER YOU ARE SAING COUNTS DONT GIVE DAMEGING STATMENT SAYING IT IS YOUR PRIVATE OPINEAN.
WHAT YOU SAIED IN PUBLIC SHOWS SOME THING WRONG TODAY THE EPRDF USED TO SHOW EVEN YOU PEOPLE DO NOT AGREE. TOO BAD

Email: milli@hotmail.com

All those of you who are lining up behind Berhanu Nega and his attempt to sell out the people's vote for government position should be ashamed of yourself. Thanks to the heroic sons of Ethiopia like Lidetu, Taye and others, sell outs like Berhanu will be exposed. People's vote is NOT negotiable. Any politician who attempts to do that behind the scene will be rejected by the people. The attempt to sneak in any proposal under the pretext that "Bush and Tony Blair want us to work with Meles" will not work. Ethiopia is not the colony of American and British. CUD has been committing too many misteps after Lidetu was pushed aside by the Berhanu cabal inside the CUD leadership. I'm glad to see that Lidetu is re-emerging and taking a leading rule. I second ER's recommendation. Berhanu must be fired.

ER,

'Show him the door,' any one who tries to compromise the interests of Ethiopia must be exposed. Great job ER

First of all, I am utterly surprised by Ethiopianreview as an opposition supporter/Democracy supporter organization to quickly jump to conclusion about what is happening by their own admission with little factual information let alone talking with Dr. Berhanu Nega?? Or did Ethiopianreview asked in public for CUD to show him the door after talking/confirming with the doctor about his stances of power sharing proposal?!?!?!?

Again, I am really disappointed by ER's move to quickly JUDGE, that's right...JUDGE! the situation without all or most of the facts? I think this speaks something of individuals and organizations that come to quickly judge; However, I support ER and have supported and will continue to support them but I don't have to agree with them all the time...and yes, I am still disappointed cause the job that CUD has is NOT EASY, my God! People are dying and to say to the top leadership to SHOW HIM THE DOOR, is really DISAPPOINTING, especially coming from ER!

If we knew all the fact, It would be a different story but just cause other leadership members (beneath the position of Berhanu Nega mind you) are not aware of something, it does not mean that they have been undemocratic or betrayed the people as EthiopianReview wrongly suggests!! I have the following questions for EthipianReview Publisher Mr. Elias Kifle:

1) What specific Information do you have to want your readers of whom some are CUD supporters to want Dr. Berhanu to show him the door??

2) Have you talked and confirmed with Dr. Berhanu wether the document is a hoax as EPRDF are well known to put hoax in the name of CUD??? (Example: Hoax that EPRDF wanted the BBC interviewer to ask Hailu Shawel and it turned out that they never put such documents?)

3) Is it news to ER that EPRDF never EVER put out hoaxes? If it's not, why not confirm it first? Why jump on the man without confirming this with him?

4) As you suggest in your statements against Dr. Berhanu, how did you know that his talks with multiple governments was a "total failure" as you once again so judgementally state?!?!? Where do you get your information that it is totally a failure?

5) IF, Dr. Berhanu bows to your demands and asks Meles to resign...do you REALLY, REALLY think Meles will INDEED resign??? I mean, are you serious???

6) Do you have any idea that in a democratic system or a growing democratic system that the opposition as well as the incumbents can share power? What is wrong with cooperation and proposing it, given the very sensitive and ethnic and potentially worst case scnario of civil war and unrest that Meles wants in Ethiopia??? Would you honest have done different?? AFter all, the opposition must prove it'self a peaceful and cooperating entity in the eyes of the internationa community and not just the people that voted for it for God's sake!! The people should come first, dont get me wrong but the international community is right up there my friends...they are the one supporting the country from becoming an economic Somalia after all...this is fact.

7) As someone who hates Meles with a passion and would love to see him killed even...that's right, I said it, and as much as I support ER still, I think Mr. Elias, you were wrong...you could have worded your "shock" in a mature and responsible manner as oppossed in a manner (inflamitory) for the purposes of propaganda Sir! I mean this...I still support you...but why did you present the letter to your supporters/readers like myself the way you did???

Good day and I please ask you to be responsible and know that this is a difficult time for all of us, mostly the opposition, you could present your views in a constructive manner and be an example in this sensitive political circimstance in which we all find ourselves!

Selam!
Ethipia zelalem tinoralech, period.

Dear Ethiopians,

Thanks for Ethiopian Review for giving us the opportunity to comment on the subject.

Having said that, I respectfully disagree with your harsh assessment regarding Dr Berhanu's(CUD) position on the matter. In my opinion if we want Dr Berhanu and Dr Beyene to play a critical role at this very time, where political stalmate is the order of the day, I think we need to give them a chance about what they are doing. I also believe that the majority of the CUD and UEDF leadership need to be behind these two fellows as they are currently playing a major role as being a bridge among the major political stakehoders and the International community.

Remember, the paper which happens to be posted both on the Kestedemena and the UEDF Web site is a proposal and it's a frame work document where every one can comment about it. I think we need to encourage them for bringing about an idea perhaps that might take us out of this deadlock.

Please let us not be provocative and do not try to create unnecessary tension among the leadership of the CUD. From what I have been witnessing, CUD has always been trying to accommodate every ones ideas even in its own circle. This is something that we have to encourage to grow among the Ethiopian politicians. I also believe that the leadership posts documents when it thinks that it merits the collective interset of its party but not to satisy individuals interst as what appears to be the case according to the the Ethiopian Review's assessment. When we are in a crisis of such magnitude, I think we need to rally behind the CUD and UEDF so that they can achieve their common objective, which is to pave the way for a NEW beginning.

To conclude, suggesting Dr Berhanu and Dr Beyene have to be accused for what they think is a better alternative to the current crisis is Absolutely RUBBISH!!

City: Edmonton, Canada

You guys,
The proposal seems " Woyane's Tenkol". I don't believe that Dr. Berehanu will make such a blunder mistake. It must be woyane who did that propal in order to create a rift in CDU leadership.
It will be good to wait and see what is going to happen.

Email: paulos21@yahoo.com

Dr. Merera & Dr. Birhanu confirm proposal well debated

Dr Merera Gudina, Chair of UEDF and Dr. Birhanu Nega of CUD told the VOA that the propsal for an interim government and the re-establishment of NEBE, as an independent body until a fresh election is held, is well debated and considered is well debated and considered by both parties. Please let us not rush to condemn party leaders and their decisions as they are engaged in the real struggle.Meles has already rejected the proposal and that gives them the moral high ground.
Listen to the VOA.
http://www.voanews.com/horn/amharic_audio.cfm

City: TN

I have read the hue and cry over the alledged proposal for a Coalition government with Meles Zenawi. I have one question and acooment: Do you people who live miles away from the real danger have the moral authority to denounce such a proposal. If you were on the ground facing the hardship and feeling the responsibility, I would have admired your hardline and courage. But you are not, and you are denouncing people who decided to fight and risk everything theu have and hoped.

Some foreigners who studied Ethiopia and watched Ethiopians have concluded we are a people eager and readt to have our heads cut off. The Italians did it; General Mengistu Neway and Mengistu Hailemariam did it:RERPR and Meison did it, and you are crying for the blood of these courageous people as usual. We never admired any Ethiopian leader alive, and conspired with the enemies of Ethiopia to have our leaders killed and betrayed. I wonder what type of people you are.

Email: whailu12@12

City: Arlington

Hailu,

In case you missed the point, it is the opposition leaders inside the country who rejected the two Drs proposal. You can all us all kinds of names, but will not change the fact on the ground.

Selam all,

The Meles regime, once again, has failed the test with its outright rejection of a face saving -win win-- proposal for all political actors .

This is a diplomatic and political victory for CUD and UEDF to show to the international community, once again, that the regime is not for compromise and is determined to continue an illegitimate tenure through the barrel of the gun.

Now, the Ethiopian people can steadfastly and persistently struggle peacefully and non-violently to oust the Meles Regime. Now , there is no backing out for the leaders.

They have to lead the Ethiopian people to wage peaceful struggle in the form of civil disobedience, economic boycott, political defiance, non-cooperation, general strikes, and peaceful non-violent means and ways etc. Enough is Enough! Every gain has its attendant sacrifice. The leaders have to have the resolve to sacrifice. They can't be hiding behind rationales like the Woayne will "unleash violence" . "that people may get killed" etc. How many of us can they kill? These are the Sentiments of Ethiopians as I hear from all directions coming from inside the country. The people are ready to struggle for their rights and freedom peacefully! Are the leaders up to the challenge?

-------------------------------

Ethiopian opposition calls for national unity government, ruling party rejects
Sat Aug 6

ADDIS ABABA (AFP) - Ethiopia's two main opposition groups have called for the formation of a national unity government to overcome outstanding bitter disagreements over May polls that sparked deadly violence in the capital.

But the appeal to Prime Minister Meles Zenawi on Saturday was quickly rejected by his ruling Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF), which insists it won the May 15 elections fairly despite opposition claims of widespread ballot fraud.

In letter to Meles, the opposition Coalition for Unity and Democracy (CUD) and United Ethiopian Democratic Forces (UEDF) proposed a three-way meeting facilitated by "a third party" to consider forming a unity government.

"Our proposal is to suggest a way out of the current political impasse," they said in the letter that also asked for the assistance of the international donor community to assist in resolving the deadlock.

"At this meeting/conference, the parties will hammer out their differences and set up a National Unity Government together with other political groups that would make a critical contribution to the process," it said.

It said the unity government would be a temporary measure but one that would end "political harassment and violence" and return the country to normalcy.

Ethiopian Information Minister Berekat Simon immediately denounced the opposition proposal, accusing the CUD and UEDF of attempting to bypass the will of the people, who he maintained supported the EPRDF.

"This is another attempt to derail the democratic process in which the winner is becoming clear to the public at-large within the process (the opposition) themselves have accepted and participated in," he told AFP.

"It is an open declaration of non-acceptance of majority rule," Berekat said. "It is saying 'we are not going to accept a legitimate government formed by the majority'."

Ethiopia has been mired in political stalemate since the polls nearly three months ago, with the opposition claiming massive ruling party vote fraud and complaining of inaction on its allegations by election authorities.

Late Friday, the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) announced that partial or total re-votes would take place in 29 of the 523 constituencies contested on May 15, well below the number demanded by the opposition.

The re-votes will take place on August 21, the same day as residents of Ethiopia's remote Somali state will cast ballots for the first time for the remaining 23 seats in parliament under the country's split election cycle.

The board has still not released definitive results from the May 15 elections but partial official returns show the EPRDF and its allies with 263 seats in parliament and opposition groups with 172 seats.

The board's release of preliminary results showing an absolute EPRF majority in parliament set off protests in June that led to clashes between police and crowds in Addis Ababa in which at least 36 people and possibly as many as 40 were killed.

In their appeal to Meles, the opposition parties said they feared the violence and an ensuing government crackdown might herald a return to the repressive tactics of the Soviet-backed "Derg" regime that ruled from 1974 until 1991.

"There is a clear and distinct danger that the country may return to the dark days of the Derg regime, where the use of force becomes the chosen means of suppressing political dissent or expressing political opposition," they said.

Ethiopian officials have roundly rejected as scaremongering such comparisons in the past and defended the actions of the security forces as necessary to prevent "hooligans" from rampaging through the capital.

Email: Neaminz@aol.com

I read the document twice, and now I'm convinced that it's a woyanne hoax. ER should have done some investigation before telling us that this document has been presented by CUD. I have heard Dr Berhanu Negga video tapes debating woyanne. He has a very strong position. He would never propose a joint government with them. No way. The document has woyanne finger print all over it.

I am shocked with this idea "Show Dr Berhanu out of CDU".He worked very hard to bring a peceful solution to Ethiopian people. I don't think it's helping set down and say show Dr Berhanu the door out of CDU. CDU needs Dr Berhanu more than anytime now. I don't want to see any more bloodshed for Ethiopian people We need mature Politician Like Dr Berhanu.

Peace to Ethiopian People

Email: alemteke@hotmail.com

It is going to be alright. Keep up and be firm. The people are behind you. What are the tactic and strategy, the workable plan of action for freedom and justice? Did you make some researches to buck up you plan of action? Make sure you have all of them straitened before everything.

Email: fakalu51@hotmail.com

Neamin, thank you for the information. You are truely the son of Ethiopia.

ER, I don't have words to express my disappointment in you. What you just suggested is a disservice to Ethiopian people. Why are you rushing anyway? Don't you work 24/7 to bring change in your country? Then why are blowing it like that man? I am really sorry to tell you that see with same eyes any more.

Patience..Patience..please.

Frankly speaking Berhanu Negga should have never been allowed to join CUD. In his political thinking he is more in tune with Beyene Petros than with Lidetu. He is a woyanne appologist, and he doesn't have fundamental ideological differences with Meles. He is an elitist who has no respect for the people of Ethiopia. He is more comfortable rubbing elbows with ambassadors and foreign officials than mixing with the average Ethiopian people. He is in politics purely for selfish reason--political power--without paying the required sacrifices. He want to piggy back to power on the sacrifices of genuine populist leaders like Lidetu Ayalew. Meles has no respect for people like Berhanu because he knows that they are too timid to lead popular struggle, and that they don't have popular base. Their base of power and influcence is western ambassadors. I'm delignted to see that ER is calling for the ouster of Berhanu, b/c that's the only way CUD can regain its popular support that has been erodded by the incomptent leadership of Berhanu who has brought humiliation and PR disaster by begging Meles Zenawi to share power. What a loser.

ER: You have worked hard successfully to help to organize the ethio-diaspora protest activities abroad. For this you deserve CUDOS But now you are loosing your credibility with these politically immature remarks.Your remarks have been a welcom gift for the eprdf’s divisive propaganda against the opposion.

Dr Berhanu belongs to a few visionary brave Ethiopian leaders who are trying to show us how to break away from our infectious disease of hatred and character assassination and focus on the idea and the politics of our adversaries not on the person per se. Our intolerance and hatred towards our adversaries led us to where we are today.

Your political terms reminds me of those days of EPRP. Every mind who was not dogmatic was BANDA.
This is the politics of NO TOLERANCE and IGNORANCE.

Is this not the reason why we are struggling against the tplf/eprdf hate based politics to bring change and create an atmosphere of national harmony to give the country and the people of Ethiopia a hope?

In a way it also reminds me of the days of the revolution in 1966 when ENDALKACHEW was begging by saying FATA SETUUGN.

I am sure the course of history would have had taken a different path if we were open minded, tolerant and pragmatists guys those days. As the result of our blindness and radical approach we have successfully destroyed a historical chance and hope of the Ethiopian people. It is the people of Ethiopia who is facing all the problems and consequences of such an unbalanced emotional and non-visionary radical defamatory politics. We in the Diaspora have abandoned our people and country and are waging a ZERAF YAZUGN LEKEKUGN struggle from a safe heaven.

I think we also have to learn to take responsibility for our words & deeds. Remember if things go wrong it is not we in the Diaspora who will face the consequences .

Let your web site be a facility where opposing ideas can be accommodated in such a way that they can be melted to a compromising idea that can lead us to a better understanding of each other and a better future.

Make PEACE Not WAR!

Mechal

City: kitchener

ER and Al Amoudi,

Sheik Alamudi did a lot to our country Ethiopia but lost all the respect in one short mistake, He was so crazy to do that mistake.

Now ER after serving all this time, they are doing the very bad mistake of "egna yalgagernew yaral" idea and lost their trust by readers. But they can save themselves by saying sorry for their silly remark, especially once Dr. Birhanu announced that it was the CUD's stand, in VOA.

May be Ato Ledetu may not know about that, but that doesn't mean it is not CUD's stand. Please let us be out of emotion, and let them do what they plan. The only thing they need from us (those in Diaspora) is our Money, let's give them. The rest is their job.

Sorry for ER

Email: ethiopia_tinur@yahoo.com

City: USA

One of the serious problems that I notice on the part of the position parties is their inability to continually communicate to the people on what they are doing, particularly when there are such major issues. We have read the "proposal" that was issued in the name of CUD, but on the other hand one of the top officials of the CUD itself, Ato Lidetu, has confirmed that the "proposal" was not discussed and issued by CUD as a party. It is indeed extremely sad to find our country in such a situation at this critical juncture of our histoy.

In all this drama, I think we Ethiopians deserve an immediate explanation from the opposition parties through a press release or press conference on the following: Who issued the so called "proposal", the opposition parties or the two individuals, deputies of the opposition parties? If by the individuals, why? Why was such a devisive "proposal" issued before consulting the Ethiopian people? Why was it issued pre-emptively one day before the CUD regional representatives meeting was held on Saturday? Why was the letter submitted to the ruling party signed by the deputies of the two parties whereas the heads of the two parites were in town and functioning politically? In my view, the two opposition parties do not have the luxury of wasting any more minute at this critical time and, therefore, they need to come out public and explain the situation to the Ethiopian people immediately. I call upon the VOA and Deutch Welle Amharic services and Tinsae radio to contact the leadership of the two parties to give their explanation without any delay. Silence on the part of the opposition parties could only be more devisive and confusing. The VOA Amharic service was able to interview Dr. Beyene on their meeting with Ato Meles but we were told that VOA did not interview Dr. Berhanu due to "a problem in telephone connection." In my view that was not a satisfactory reason. In any case, the parties must clear this confusion via presse release/conference and interviews as well as through other media broadcast and take appopropriate corrective measure AS EXPEDITIOUSLY AS POSSIBLE.

May God bless Ethiopia!

They did

They did, Dear Alohe,

Listen to VOA, the two officials of the parties said it was discussed in the committee. May be Ato ledetu was not their. How many times Defense Minster Rumsfield complain on president Bush and vice versa, because of miscommunication? many times! But they cover each other. We don't have to talk everything in public, by covering it saying it is my personal idea. OH! please who is going to believe Bush if he say something and say it is my personal idea??? , Let's be wise Ato ledetu!!

Last thing, ER and Tinsae, please, you need to stop inviting opposition party officials for teleconfernce and talk about your emotions and feelings, when you know that it is always recorded by Woyane!! You can't give them command here, you guys are just individuals like any of us!

Don't post your persnal feelings in your website, just because you are the webmaster!! you can participate as an individual in this kind of forums.

Trust me, CUD is getting strong and strong. If we realy want to help its cause, let's send our money, not our emotions and personal feelings. We are trying to throw water on their struggle.

Time for ER to say sorry

Email: ethiopia_tinur@yahoo.com

City: USA

EPRDF,a lost campainers from start.Ethiopian people shut all avenue to current regime there fore Melese should resign not in a position to negotiate.

Email: DillingerJ1@aol.com

Dear ER,
I have noticed inconsistencies in your view in the chat room yesterday. I think the majority of the loggers in that chat room was supporters of Ato Lidetu Ayalew. That is completely OK. Most let show their emotions and their emotion- filled decisions about CUD's leadership. Some were calling Ato Lidetu a "hero", "living legend", etc and calling the other leaders to be expelled. Today, you shared the same ill-thought view. Now I know that you are no better than those people. Finally, please summarize and present the proposal and let the readers see your point. Becareful when you do that!

Dear Ethiopians,

If Dr, Berhanu approached TPLF cadres to form a NUG without the knowledge of the CUD, it is a grave mistake. I can expect this kind of action from people in the TPLF not from CUD especially from Dr. Berehanu. Right now we have to leave this matter to the CUD members if there is any big disagreements to solve by themselves.
My disagreement with some Ethiopians is that when I see them accepting EPRDF as a Coalition govt or a party. EPRDF was/ is another name to TPLF. Like by birth Legese, as a gorilla fighter Meles and as a politician Abebe. All these three names are the same. The three biggest coalition members in the EPRDF except TPLF are there in the form of some as walls, others as roof and the rest are carpet and furniture to give a comfortable house to TPLF cadres. For the last 14 years TPLF criminal cadres are using EPRDF many through doors and the rest through Windows for their benefit. TPLF cadres are doing anything they want in the name of EPRDF undermining members of the 3 biggest coalition members as if they are there as slaves to serve them.
If there is equal relationship between the 4 coalition members in the EPRDF, at this moment, Who is the Prime minister? who is the foreign minister? who is the interior minister? who is the joint chief? who is the capacity building minister? who is the federal affairs minister? who is the information minister (an Eritrean)? who is the justice minister? who is the Defence minister (a foot solder during derg era and captured by EPLF militias)? who is the manager, director, president or boss in every big govt institution, industry, office or other places, example Gumruk-Azeb's Mesfin Brother? . So, EPRDF as a party is not existed. How is it possible the very smallest coalition with 37 seats in the parliament became able to occupy all high positions? Again take the ambassadors; almost all them are TPLF members. Who is the ambassador in Brussels where EU head quarter is?
As long as there come no new EPRDF acting with democratic principles, I can't see the current EPRDF as a Coalition party but another criminal and cheating name of TPLF.

August 9 tabloids in Addis revealed the fact that the decision is not only Dr Berhanu's they said that it is a well thought idea by the CUD Executive members. Hailu Shawl and Hailu Araya were interviewed and confirmed this fact by saying that Lidetu is wrong in passing that type of message. They even siad that Lidetu didn't attend meetings with them in the past few weeks.

So realx it is not only the decision of Berhanu, he will not do such a blind mistake. Dr Berhanu and CUD in general is mature enough - more than we think about them.

People who have been blaming Dr Berhanu for this act should owe an apology.

Dear Ethiopians,
If Dr, Berhanu approached TPLF cadres to form a NUG without the knowledge of the CUD, it is a grave mistake. I can expect this kind of action from criminals in the TPLF not from CUD especially from Dr. Berehanu. Right now we have to leave this matter to the CUD members if there is any big disagreements inside the party to solve by themselves.

My disagreement with some Ethiopians is that when I see them accepting EPRDF as a Coalition govt or a party. EPRDF was/ is the another name to TPLF. Like by birth Legese, as a gorilla fighter Meles and as a politic debate, Abebe. All these three names are the same, for one individual. The three biggest coalition members in the EPRDF except TPLF are there in the form of some as walls, others as roof and the rest are carpet and furniture to give a comfortable house to TPLF cadres. For the last 14 years TPLF criminal cadres are using EPRDF many through doors and the rest through Windows for their benefit. TPLF cadres are doing anything they want in the name of EPRDF undermining members of the 3 biggest coalition members as if they are there as slaves to serve them.
If there is equal relationship between the 4 coalition members in the EPRDF, at this moment, Who is the Prime minister? who is the foreign minister? who is the interior minister? who is the joint chief? who is the capacity building minister? who is the federal affairs minister? who is the information minister (an Eritrean)? who is the justice minister? who is the Defence minister (a foot solder during derg era and captured by EPLF militias)? who is the manager, director, president or boss in every big govt institution, industry, office or other places, example Gumruk-Azeb's Mesfin Brother? . So, EPRDF as a party is not existed. How is it possible the very smallest coalition with 37 seats in the parliament became able to occupy all high positions? Again take the ambassadors; almost all of them are TPLF members. Who is the ambassador in Brussels where EU head quarter is? Prominent TPLF member.
As long as there come no new EPRDF acting with democratic principles, I can't see the current EPRDF as a Coalition party but as another criminal and cheating name of TPLF.

Re: Have you read the joint CUD-UEDF proposal?

According the proposal the transitional government will be given a short time frame and will form a new independent Electoral Board and conduct a new election in the 299 disputed constituencies.

So Guys it's not a government for the next five years.

Let's not be emotional.

The move was very smart. It helps to show the true nature of woyane for the nth time.

I have full confidence and trust on the leadership of CUD.

God Bless HAILU SHAWUL, BERHANU NEGA, HAILU ARAYA, LIDETU AYALEW and all of them

GOD BLESS ETHIOPIA

Email: beruhtesfa@yahoo.com

The effort of Dr Birhanu should be seen as dangerous.What he is committed to is to make division in CUD so that he could creat a situation to control everything making people like Hailu Shawel,Lidetu,and others his subordinates.He is no interested in being a Mayer,while others take seats in federal parliament to decideon major issues.Hence it is high time to expel him from CUD.

When I heard about the oppositions approaching the TPLF leaders to form a NUG, I supported them. At this moment this is one of the few options the oppositions have to try to save our country from those criminal TPLF Gorilla fighters. When I heard their request was quickly, simply and angrily rejected by those the look like humans, I expressed my disappointments and gave my idea what to do next. When I heard about Dr. Berhanu Nega acting alone without consulting the CUD, I didn't believe. I know he is the man of integrity and competent to become a good leader to our country.
Appreciating his/ her work in the past and present, I’m not blaming the moderator posting wrong topic concerning our beloved leader Dr. Berehanu. But I’m very disappointed and disbelieved when many of the participants at this site reacted emotionally. Before responding to any matter especially the important one, we have to see from many angles to verify and have the right response. Dr Berehanu, as the rest of the opposition members gave his life to the poor and weak Ethiopian people. I know the oppositions are getting love and belonging from the majority of the Ethiopian people. It wouldn't be nice to some of us who are the talking group without practical action to give some respect to our leaders. Do you have any idea how Dr. Berehanu feels when he read those wrong and irresponsible comments about him? I know he is more than all of us together. Nobody comment will stop him from being good to the Ethiopian people that have nobody to speak for them. He is a well educated man. He is a man who have chosen his country and people over US where most of us feel proud by just being there.
The moderator is giving high contribution to all Ethiopians through this site. He/she made mistakes concerning Dr. Berehanu. We have to understand that. But it could be very useful if they admitted their mistake and give apology to our beloved Dr.Berehanu Nega the one who can appreciate and accept the apology for the sake of his poor mother, Ethiopia.
The Participants to this or other sites have to learn from this big mistake. They have to know when, why and how to respond to any story. They have to learn to solve their problem with positive approaches. Don't be emotional and simple minded. Personal matters are not the same as country matters. We have to know how to solve our differences when there appear disagreements. Quarel, hate, leaving or other negative approaches are from bad and dictatorial individuals. We have to know solving our differences through talk, our shortage through work and our freedom through determination clear and clean vision.

I'm very proud of the CUD and UEDF members. I whish them all the best with working together against the TPLF cadres to free our country.

Hi Gojo,

I think you are in love with the name called EPRDF while it is just there as symbol to serve the TPLF agenda. I said many times before and in this topic too, EPRDF, as a coalition of 4 parties with equal right and responsibility never existed. Only the smallest party (TPLF) with its 37 parliament seats, was/ is using EPRDF for personal agenda starting since they were in a gorilla war. Who occupy high positions in the country and diplomatic posts in abroad? Read upstairs I have posted to this matter.
Moderator is serving us with outstanding efforts. You have no reason to complain about while you are giving nothing in return to cover even their costs. Moderator knows very well that there are few out there blackmailing good people in order the discussion about Ethiopia doesn’t successfully happening.
EPRDF as a coalition based on democratic principles was/is not existed. It was/is one of the many names TPLF cadres have. Dear Gojo you and the 3 biggest coalition members have to ask about the reality inside the EPRDF. I advise them to continue with New EPRDF that would be equal right and obligation to all coalition members or withdraw from the coalition and join with the oppositions who have respect to Ethiopia, who have no criminal records as TPLF have started 30 years after joining EPLF, who are educated and have understanding about leadership through democratic principles, who have no weapons but knowledge and ability to use their knowledge on the right time, direction and at the right place. The 3 biggest EPRDF coalition members would benefit their country and themselves, too, if they withdraw from their slave and master relationship TPLF cadres and join with the oppositions or have own coalition of three without TPLF. They have to see the current Ethiopian situation deeply and they must keep themselves in order they again not become servants to TPLF while the political landscape in the country since 15 may election dramatically changed. Here I ask the Meles created NEB members to consider their relation with TPLF cadres, too. So, Gojo I think it would be wise, if you evaluate your stand towards EPRDF which was/ is not existed as it has to be.

Moderator,

Please show some restraint from propagating extreme ideas that might divide the opposition. You should know that you are helping EPRDF's attempt to dismantle and weaken the opposition. How can you ask for Dr.Birhanu's dismissal without having all the facts? The call for his dismissal would be warranted only if he had put forth the proposal to share power unilaterally without consulting with the rank and file of CUD. It is your journalistic duty to find out what really happened. It is irresponsible of you to let your imagination run wild and ask for dismissal of one of the respected leaders in the opposition without knowing what really happened?

Email: agere_et@yahoo.com

Dear Moderater,

I am still in shock by your last two comments concerning the proposals.even though you are entitled to your personal view on any issue as many of as do, your quick judgemental conclusion on this dividing issue was not helpful. i personally see you with higher moral ground in helping the oppostion achevive their goal which is bringing true democracy to the ethiopian people.To me there is no concreate evidence that shows that the letter was written by DR. Berhanu or Dr.Beyene. Let the leadeship of CUD and UDEF clear up the matter once and for all. We have waited for long, and I think we can wait for few more days to find out the truth.The moderater should have handled the matter this way.Wait and see. thre are some people who Adovcate that the oppostion should accept the 40% seat and work with meles regime because the other one and only alternative is war.that is not true.first,you struggle through civil disobidence,demonstration and strike with out resort to other means Second,you can struggle through disobisence,strike, demonstration inconjunction with armed struggle, the third and the last form of struggle is an armed struggle.If choice has to be made among the above forms of struggle, the ethiopian people will decide. No one knows how long the struggle would take.But these are the many options we ethiopians will face in days and years to come.some argue we are so close to winning and five years from now it will be a sure thing.WE know EPRDF to well!! we say thanks but no thanks. the struggle will continue untill the every vote is counted.time should not a factor when you fight for principle.

We shall over come !!!!!

Email: FELEGUHE_8@HOTMAIL.COM

City: ALEXANDRIA ,VA

4 people made the decision

The proposal of NUG was not accepted at the CUD meeting. But it was later suggested that the matter be left to 4 people to decide and act. That was what happened. So, as Lidetu said it was not the decision of the CUD. Anyway, it has been rejected now and the next move should be to mobilize the Ethiopian people for a peacefeul protest. Going to Woyane's court is just wastage of time.
Yazew

Email: alemayehumek@yahoo.com

City: London

Re: Show Dr Berhanu the door out of CUD""Moderator"

Moderator of Er
I would like to say something’s for the moderator of this room and the owner of Ethiopian review.
At this moment Ethiopia is on a cross road , every single news and information can swip the view movement of every Ethiopian . You have been updating us on what was going on at the right time, but at the moment you are making more confusion rather than informing. Please calm down and think twice before you post any thing, it might be a devastating move. It can help EPRDF.

Please think twice before you post message and also please don’t give your comment!
eskeatnaf

Email: eskeww@yahoo.com

If CUD has to continue as a viable and vibrant opposition, not only Dr. Birhanu and Dr. Beyene Petros might be requested to go but CUD as such need to overhaul and re invent itself.
It is incumbent up on all members of CUD, rank and file, to see inward within themselves and outwards for the people. The members of CUD have to critically evaluate the performance of their leaders. Those who have shown weakness and wavering have to be replaced with strong personalities who have the will and the traits to lead this movement towards victory. After all the commitment for democracy has to be strongly displayed in-house.

Email: shyohannes@yahoo.com

City: nashville

I suggest to most of you to continue to do what you are best at. There isn't one sole in the Diaspora that has the moral ground to make an action call for the opposition in Ethiopia. The call to take an appropriate action at the right time is the job of the opposition and civic leaders. We are impatient because we probably have nothing to do in our spare time. The opp. leaders in Ethiopia are working day and night on strategizing their action to come. So lets be patient. Some of you are trying to create an impression that all the CUD leaders are dam and Dr. Berhanu someway has hijacked the leadership and is doing whatever he wants. You guys are either EPRDF's cadres or unskilled politicians. Believe it or not a lot of discussion is happening in CUD and Dr. Berhanu is executing the majority decisions of the CUD council.

City: TN

The difference between Lidetu and others is NOT antagonistic and irreconcilable contradiction. The difference a tactical one, not a strategic difference. The difference need to be handled with care, creativity and flexibility. CUD is already handling it excellently. You guys here seem interested to let it go out of hand. That wont happen. CUD wont be an easy prey to Weyane. You better talk about something else. It is well taken care of. My advise to the MODERATOR is that he/she should NOT at this juncture encourage unnecessarily confrontational type of debate. In 1975 (GC), we have seen how many creams of Ethiopia died just because of poor handling of differences and misreading of objective conditions. It wont be repeated this time. Please Moderator shut down this topic.

Email: hagere_ethiopia@yahoo.com

City: Addis

The moderator is standing by his irresponsible remark despite he's proven wrong time and again. This shows he personal antagonism with Dr. Berhanu, our leader and has nothing to with our national issue. Case closed.

Since Dr Berhanu's sycophantic supporters want to keep the issue alive, we oblige.

Ze Abesenia.

egzihar yisteh,

I have no idea how these people's mind work. In an amazing showing, the people of Ethiopia voted CUD into office. The people gave them a kind of voice oppositions never had in our country. Was the election rigged? and were some votes stolen? May be. In fact, I believe there were. CUD and the oppositions made that point thorughly by holding up the process, since May. Now, since they made their point, instead of talking boycoting the parliment, they should continue their fight in it. Try it Berhanu's way. Stop Bura kereyu!!!

Email: howsleepy@yahoo.com

City: Denver

Moderator, Ok I will take that back , yes it matters. It is in our best interest not to ridicule each other. I apologize If I went over board. I must tell you that I admire your courage too. You are doing excellent work. Please don't discourage and continue to do what you do best, organizing and informing us.

Respectfully,

Moderator,
I really enjoy this site. Please keep up the good work. Specially, I enjoy the teleconference. Thank you

Email: nftiruneh@yahoo.com

City: Portland, OR

The difference between Lidetu and others is NOT antagonistic and irreconcilable contradiction. The difference a tactical one, not a strategic difference. The difference need to be handled with care, creativity and flexibility. CUD is already handling it excellently. You guys here seem interested to let it go out of hand. That wont happen. CUD wont be an easy prey to Weyane. You better talk about something else. It is well taken care of. My advise to the MODERATOR is that he/she should NOT at this juncture encourage unnecessarily confrontational type of debate. In 1975 (GC), we have seen how many creams of Ethiopia died just because of poor handling of differences and misreading of objective conditions. It wont be repeated this time. Please Moderator shut down this topic.

Email: hagere_ethiopia@yahoo.com

City: Addis

The subject is sufficiently discussed. Let us not spend our time on this issue. The moderator should close this subject.

Email: mamushababa@yahoo.com

obviously, Ato Lidetu should calm down!and Dr Birhanu should focus on the struggle in ethiopia.

Moderator, talk about tactics and strategy of the peaceful movement. say wat tactic is right or wrong and let us discuss these.

Stop dwelling on personal recriminations!!!

Email: fklstd@aol.com

City: Washington

Mekki,

Thanks a million. I happen to know the Moderator and I did not want to jump on him in public for what he is doing these days. He knows that Dr. Berhanu will prove him wrong. Elias needs to be calm and responsible. Berhanu is a known quantity. As you have so correctly noted, let us discuss options, strategies, choices, tactics of the resistance. I also beg Ethiopian Reviews to get back to its positive mission of focusing on the enemies of democracy. Berhanu is not the cause of our suffering. I also like to trust my leaders and take risk on their integrity.

DR.BREHNUE AND HIS CUD MEMBERS ARE PROBABLY MISLEADING
US.DR BREHANE IS FOR SURE A POWER THRIST SELFISH PERSON.HOW DID HE SURVIVE THE PERSCUTION OF EPRP.NOW HE IS SOMEBODY TO LEAD US TO FREEDOM.

Email: GIZA1435@AOL.COM

City: ATLANTA

Dear Moderator:-
I must say that you have managed to paint a much distorted image of the brilliant economist Dr. Berhanu Nega. What you failed to comprehend is that Dr.Berhanu Nega is neither trying to be famous nor is he trying to be a hero. Unlike you and I however, he is not afraid to die at least for his own freedom. What makes him unique even further is the respect he shows and the value he gives for the lives of the Ethiopian people. You see someone still cares! Because he cares he thinks before he acts. I believe you could learn a great deal from geat leaders like Dr. Berhanu Nega.
With respect for the love of the Ethiopian people!!

Email: Masebealeben@msn.com

City: Maryland

ANY ONE SITS AND NEGOTIATES WITH WOYANES I SWEAR THEY'RE TRUE ENEMY OF ETHIOPIA.PERIOD.

Email: DillingerJ1@aol.com

Hello Do you want to show the very person who has given you the most votes for a coalition of 6 months?

Resignation of ER moderator

I demand the resignation of the ER moderator who has proposed the removal of Dr Birhanu.Dr Birhanu is a hero who is a great job for his people abandoning the comfort of the West like your are doing.He is the one who is being detained and harassed.Unlike you who is sitting behind your desk ,scavenging on the innocence and the struggle of others.Let me give you one example an English saying: "no right to speak before investigation" check your facts before you ever insult prominent personalities.
Who benefits from your insult? Only the EPRDF and only the EPRDF You should be the wisest fool in christendom.For God 's sake ; I had a great respect for Ethiopian review.Now i consider your website as a garbage .
Yours

Resignation of ER moderator

I want the resignation of the ER moderator who through his blunder serves the interest of the EPRDF in dividing the oppossition and its supporters.
We need to investigate facts before we utter statements.
Dr Birhanu Nega is a hero ,the greatest Ethiopian alive and an accomplished economist.
Dr Birhanu is an Ethiopian hero.
Yours

Dear Members:
EPRP former members such as Berhanu Nega are still the iconic and charismatic leaders that will embark Ethiopia into democratic path and economic transparency. The rest of brouhaha that is coming from Negede likes and his foot soldeirs former Meison cadres , who are good in abstract and digging theories a la Western style, will not lead Ethiopia let alone to help a duck to cross a road.
EPRP's struggle should be commemorated as principle and guiding history aim at liberating all Ethiopian of walk of life and its message was and is still very clear. To MEISON cadres, and in particular to the former Derg, we are saying: Let us put yesterday’s differences behind us and face today’s more pressing issues in unity and understanding; althouhg, we will not forgive your crimes and you will face the rule of law. To CUD and UEDF the message is: Let us engage in constructive and open dialogue to resolve our problems and to chart our country’s future and put yourhouse in order so as to govern Ethiopia in democratic way and non-violence. To extremists and dissenters of all colors we are saying: We accept constructive dissent, but we will not accept violence, intolerance or dissension.
This is an exceptionally bold and politically astute message on the part of the former member of EPRP.
Moreover, last night, I was listening one of the poem that remonded the good old days of Asinba and I will assure you that its substance are still true, loud and clear to Ethiopian of all ethnic group. In other words, its substantive dialogue, a great clarity of message and of intentions, and the striving for sincere national and Ethiopian unity will be achieved through EPRP; therefore, CUD is very lucky to have Berhanu and do not spoil him and push him to join Meles'camp. He is a man of principle unlike the ones you are upholding with genetic association, who are contradicting by calling others ethnic politic champions while they are stand for one and only ethnic hegemony.

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC