Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CUD and UEDF want to join Woyanne!

CUD and UEDF proposal to share power with EPRDF

http://kestedemena.org/documents/proposal080505eng.pdf

Re: CUD and UEDF want to join Woyanne!

This is great news for every one! Very wise!

Mr. Moderator,

I am sorry, but you have totally misread the proposal. First, they are not asking for a joint government for five years. It is a joint intrim government toprepare us for a new election. It does not give EPRDF five years, alone or as part of the joint government.

What they are doing is dismantling the way you and I know EPRDF to be. It shows that UEDF and CUD are much more mature and sophisticated than we are giving them credit. I do not think that EPRDF will accept this. In any case, they have provided a way out of the impasse, while standing firm on principles. It really shows maturity, sophistication and political savvy. It is upto EPRDF to take this chance and avert confrontation. That is exactly what the proposal suggests.

This will give them (UEDF and CUD) credibility both at the national and international forums. It is an open letter addressed to all the stakeholders, including the Ethiopian people, the Diaspora Community, EPRDF, the G8, and the international community.

As I see it, this is a work of a savvy political operators and the beginning of the end of EPRDF.
Go read iave srewdly taken EPRDF to a corner that it would rather not be. I am very very happy with the proposal.

The Mamo Qilo

PS: Gebremenamen seems to bask in joy. It shows his horizon out side of cutting and pasting business is limited. He either lacks the depth to understand what is in play here or is simply happy that EPRDF may be spared another year or so.

Correction again, CUD and UEDF want to join EPRDF not Woyanne

They pushed out real activists like Lidetu so that they can negotiate away the people's vote for government position. Shame on them!!

Moderator,

I agree with Mamo on this one. It is a call for an interim government until a re-election is held. It even specifies that a clear cut date must be set.It is a win win situation for CUD and EUDF becuase, if EPRDF accepts it, in a way it will be admitting that the election is actually rigged; and it will oose the next election by far( than the few seats it managed to gain now, like in Tigray region). If EPRDF regects the proposition ( Meles has already done that on his televised interview last night), then it will give the edge to CUD and EUDF and they can blame the government for not going for peace and stability. The timing can never be better, as a US senator is about to visit Ethiopia and NEB is on the corners of releasing the rest of the results.

However, the fate of the country is in the hands of Ethiopians, and am afraid the opposition party are in a bit of a shaby position to lead the civil movement. I count on civic organisations.

Moderator, you might want to prepare a letter of 'request' ( or whatever it is called) to civic leaders of the country so we can all second it and you can send it to them.

Excellent idea. I hope Gebreselassie would agree too.

Nestanet

A right move by the opposition.

Most likely Melese will not accept the preposition as it practically means he has to give up power or pave the way for a new transitional government.

That is the way to go for the opposition. Let him turn down this preposition as he did on the investigation process and the request of a re-run election. The ball is in his court.

The next step is the legal process, that too will be handled improperly by the Melese government.

Then the last and the best weapons of the opposition will be not to sit in parlament until all the irreguralities are resolved.

Let the struggle take its own course. Uprise is like a time bomb it will detonate when the time is right. No dictator including Melese will be able to stop it.

Email: demekelul65@yahoo.ca

Yea this is a real catastrophy to the people. We know it is the leaders in any movement thatz the trouble maker, being loyal to them selves , and to external agents instead of the people and in the mean time they expose the people for further torture and harrassment on his own land .For that matter most of the executive officers in the opposition party are Ph.D holders but they are unable to dissect the strings they signed a month ago, or is it a conspiracy against the people? Anyway trust me when the people is at a point where it can't tolerate, I pray not to be in their position.It is devastating and they r guarranting us that they love their life morethan anything else.God Where r u?

Email: merson@yahoo.com

City: wcc

Kinijit,

EPRDF is no fool. There will be no reelecton now or never, even in five years. The proposal is an indirect acceptance of defeat, and begging frifari from EPRDF. Berhanu and Beyene may get some insignificant ministreal position such as minister of cultre for facilitating defeat for the opposition.

Moderator,

There is nothing as damaging as "all or none" approach in politics, Worse, in a country like Ethiopia. As far as I am concerned, this is the best viable recommendation one may consider at this juncture. I see the opposition taking the morale upper ground in addressing the current empasse which every one of us want them to. It is worth to note that this is the time that Meles is declaring the Megistu's "Abiyotachin ketekelakayinet wodeatkinet teshegagere" kind of declaration: See the other G/minamins posting. I think we should applaud them for their prudent and courageous approach. I am so thrilled to see that the two parties are working glove and hand at this critical time.

Moderator, don't take it at its face value. It implies a lot. I am reasonably certain that this reflects lidetu's views too.

Good Job UEDF and CUD. United you are stronger than you might have thought you are.

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

I too agree that the proposal is fairly articulated and comprehenisve in scope.

However, I do have reservaton in the proposed powersharing modality.

where it says

"the new government shall be structured in such a way that the cabinet posts and portifolios are shared equitabily among the three major parties in accordance to the proportion of the votes they received at the May 15 election.

Serious questions can be raised from both sides of the aile

1) if we say the election is overwhelmingly flaud and rigged then how can we posiibily accept this same result for powersharing?

2) If the opposion is suggesting powersharing based on the result of the election then does not this imply to EPRDF and the diplomatic community that results were fair and acceptable. At all election is not neccessarily power monopolization it is mainly powersharing, then why not accept the electon results and join the next parlament?

As to me this powersharing modality should have been left for negotiation between the parties instead of implicating them selves for playing double standard.

Email: shenkute@yahoo.com

City: Nashville, TN

Jadu:

Are you saying that since "all or nothing" is damaging, the opposition should share power with EPRDF?

How about the choice the people made? Before coming up with the power sharing proposal they didn't even consult with their wider membership, let alone the people.

Hello reader of this aricle

CUD and UFED can join EPRDF , but you know
PM Zenawi is not a fool ,may be he will say
it is good and go ahead .After some days every thing
will be changed .So the members of these two opposition they should think about this , EPRDF is EPRDF......., it not a new party......
you have to remember , Hayelom, Seye , Aergawi Berehe
etc ......., oppositions are not more than these heros for PM zenawi as far as I know .
Just stop everything and let him to everything , GOD will do a miracle for Ethiopians .......

Love and Peace for Ethiopians
thanks

Email: frankknut@yahoo.com

City: Bergene

Selam to all

I think CUD and UEDF did what they had to do: come up with a face saving mechanism to face off the current confrontation and get ready for the next election while being part of the parliamentary institution. Unlike Mamo, I am not sure if it is a brilliant move; in fact, it is the only move left on their table though it is unlikely the PM would accept their offer. My guess is that the PM will go it alone, perhaps rightfully so. A few weeks back, he outsmarted his opponents though many did not notice. He now has the diplomatic upper hand, and he has no reason to form coalition government. If he won majority, he has every right to form his own government.

The three major parties are duty bound to talk, and work together when they can. This is their chance to show statesmanship, and now the jury is out and watching. Ethiopia’s problem would not be solved overnight. Those who are desperate for a quick fix will be disappointed.

With love to all!

I wonder if somebody can tell me whether the docuement is the making of Birhanu and beyene or the entire leadership of bothe the CUD and UEDF ?

Those who are trying to create rift between and within the opposition, please go read lidetu's interview. Those who are smart enough to read the nuances inhis interview would realize that he was avoiding to be pinned down in a corner. He was leaving more than ample room for a negotiated settlement.

I am one of those who has been saying no compromise on the people's vote. Reading of the proposal both in its debth and breadth (as well as in its complexities and simplicities) suggest that the opposition has not compromised on any principle. It took the moral uppper hand and the initiative to get the country out of a potential viloent confrontation. It is no small feat to do so without endorsing EPRDF's criminal vote rigging. It gives a way out of a difficult situation.

I do no believe Meles would accept this. The proposal also puts the international community in general and the G8 in particular in a very difficult situation. Go back ad read. The proposal calls up on the international community to play a constructive role. My prediction is that the international community would take this as a very encouraging step forward and pressure Meles to swallow a bitter pill.

Ethiopian politics has crossed a point of no return. This is a critical first step to institutionalize the May 15 victory to the people in a structured and fundamental way. It is a win win situatio. Let us line up behind the UEDF and CUD proposal.

Ankasa Doro aka
Yejib Tila

This is time of rh

GREAT PROPOSAL!!

Dear Mamo Qilo! I agree with you 100%. It is brilliantly thought proposal!! It is a type of proposal, that shows how eduction matters and how it plays great role in creating sophisticated yet earnest thoughts. strong academic background that goes along with a God-fearing attitude is the greatest asset and qualification a leader can acquire, to lead his/her country, rightly and fairly. Ethiopia, is a country where people of all faith are enormously religous, and people of all faith are so intensively devoted to their religious traditions. According to the great Ethiopians' friend, Professor Donald Levin (Professor of Socilogy, University of Chicago), the core issue behind the political divisiveness in Ethiopia is: partly because of the ethnic controversy and is partly because of his (PM Meles Zenawi's) Leninist position, which includes his atheism stand. Although, as an individual he has a right to be an atheist, in a country where people of all faith are so intensively devoted to their religious traditions, one can't be wrong to make a conclusion that Ethiopian people deserve to see a leader with a God-fearing attitude.

In my view, the discussion that began last week with some prominent Ethiopians was a good start and I thought that would continue rapidly within the time frame the ruling party unduly gave the opposition parties. I would expect discussions with civic organizations such as the Ethiopian Teachers' Association and others alike that represent the voice of the people before coming up with such a proposal. Furthermore, we were told that CUD's regional represenatives and its top leadership would convene Saturday August 6 in Addis. So the question is: why did CUD and UEDF issue this proposal one day before the planned meeting??? In my view, issuing this proposal at this time was pre-emptive before holding the anticipated meetings with the public and civic organizaitons in general and CUD's regional representatives in particular.

One of the big questionable and suspicious thing in the proposal is the element on "cabinet post and portfolio" sharing to be based on the "results of the May 15 election" that the opposition parties have so far proclaimed to have been rigged and the peoples' vote stolen. I think that is absolutely wrong and does not represent the interests of the Ethiopian people. I also think that the people have not mandated the opposition parties to make such a declaration on their behalf. Rather, what the Ethiopian people have been expecting from the leadership of the two parties was to ensure their votes counted and not to make such a back-door arrangement! I urge the opposition parties to take an expeditious corrective measure on this, if at all possible, and explain to the public why they put such a proposal on the table before consulting the very people that voted for them!

May God bless our beloved country Ethiopia!

Moderator,
What I am saying is that, here is a scenario where Meles is poised to exclude the oppsoition completely and take the whole country in to anarchy or pre 1993 era. The international community unfortunately is also leaning towards Meles while hinting joint government as a viablle option. The choice then is to spark the "revolution" which would have an uncertain outcome or do what they did now. I have been saying even earlier that the opposition should have a place to work with EPRDF. See my recommendations about the "pseudo cabinet". Total exclusion of EPRDF at this stage is something unrealistic . Any way, as some one indicated above, it isn't difficult to predict what the response of EPRDF is going to be. This therefore only strengthens opposition's effort to expose what EPRDF is all about. It will further expose the lack of will by EPRDF to share power or reconcile to the international community and the Ethiopian people at large paviing the way for what is to come next.

Well done again.

Re:IF ACCEPTED GREAT CHANCE FOR OUR POOR PEOPLE

This is a very good proposal not only for the short term but also for the generation to come for our childrens and grand childrens. Mr Melese/EPRDF you know you AND I OR ANYONE lives for a short time but that country and its childrens live for ever. please let's not be selfish and mess up this poor country for our grand childrens please please please find a way out and help your people like you supposed to

WE LOVE YOU ALL. WE LOVE EPRDF WE LOVE UEDF WE LOVE CUD. THEY ARE ALL TRYING TO HELP OUR PEOPLE. WE SIT HERE IN THE DIASPORA AND TALK TALK TALK TALK AND TALK THAT IS ALL WE DO PLS LET US HELP THEM REACH AGREEMENT.

City: ORLANDO, FL

Elohe,

You askd interesting questios:

1. Why did CUD issue this proposal one day before the planned meeting with its regional represenatives and its top leadership that is scheduled to meet on Saturday August 6 in Addis.

Those in leadership position leading UEDF and CUD have
responsibility and mandate to articulate their respective regions. I see at least one reason why they are calling the meeting after they have taken a position. The meeting wold give them an opportunity to discuss different scenarios of actions to be taken. What should we do if EPRDF regects the proposal?

I agree with you, in that the proposal is not very clear on the element of "cabinet post and portfolio" sharing to be based on the "results of the May 15 election" that the opposition parties have so far proclaimed to have been rigged and the peoples' vote stolen. But in grad scheme of things (including establishing an independent NEB and preparing for a new election and respecting the rule of law and freeing the media), who is taking the ministryof finance and foreign affiars is not too critical at this stage. This is not to say the opposition should not negotiate on cabinet portfolio.

For Lema, I think you are reading too much in the promosal. The Opposition never called for to join EPRDF. That is a wishful thinking on your part. The opposition is standing firm on its ground. If EPRDF accepts this it would be a major blow to dicatorship. This will usher in a new era in Ethiopia. You have UEDF and CUD to thank for that. Let us see how the political situation will play it self out. My prediction is the proposal will recieve endorsement or at least encouragement from the international king makers.

Ankasa Doro

Connecting the dots.

It is fair to assume that the proposal is not something that just sprang out of no where. It must have been in the making for some time. The opposition has been in close contact with EU deligates and it is fair to assume that Ambassador Clarke must have been consulted or briefed.

His recent letter that dressed down Berket has implanted a sentence that suggested a new agreement needs to be agreed upon. Could it be that the Ambassador was back pedalling to pull back the tacit endorsement to EPRDF? Again my take is that the international community will welcome this.

Ankasa Doro aka
Mamo Qilo

This is the best move that any politician can make in this kind of situation. Those of you who were supporting CUD and UEDF shouldn't continue to support your parties. You elected them to lead. therefor, let them lead because they know the hills and the valleys of politics. I congradulate the leaders not the narrow minded supporters...

Email: yasunglass@yahoo.com

City: USA

CUD and UEDF joining woyane?what's this a sell out?

Email: DillingerJ1@aol.com

City: DC

CUD/UEDF,THIS'S NOT A TIME TO NEGOTIATE WITH WOYANE WHOSE IDEA AND MANIFESTO TO BREAK ETHIOPIA LIKE A GLASS NO WAT TO RETURN TO FIX IT.

DillingerJ1,

No, it is not a sell out. It is smart politics. Please go back and read no where did it say UEDF and CUD to join Weyane or EPRDF. It is a sxi page solid analysis. Do not try to strike it down with a one sentence. If you have constructive suggestion or even criticism, share your views so we cn learn. Otherwise, we should resist the temptation a truncated one liner deviod of any message

Ankasa Doro aka
Mamo Qilo

Moderator,

You are becoming too accusative and I should say irresponsible. Before you even dare to blame the two leaders, you should have the descency to get their part of the story.

Don't be too emotional. It doesn't serve any purpose at all. Don't try to depict as if the two have changed ovenight from being the leaders of the people to servants of Meles. If you happen to know, Dr Beyene is a man who declined a ministrial position by EPRDF and opted to fight from with in.
You are going too far. Watch it out my Bro.

hi jadu and other pro-....
Do u guys think this two guys Dr. Beyene , who is "kemokew gar zefani" as has been in the past in his parliamentary membership in the 1993 or 1994 whatever and Dr. Birhanu Nega of FBE can beat EPRDF using this proposal except it is a selling out of the people's mandate.Moderator yea I doubt this has been issued under the UEDF and CUD because how come the top leaders of the too parties not signing the proposal and what is the motive of the top leaders being held behind the scene?Do u think clarke is GOD that he has shared this idea? thatz the problem u guys have no confidence on your self.Believe it or not james or clarke never worked to alleviate the problem.Oh God we r expecting from u

Email: merson@yahoo.com

City: wcc

As it stands, the Ethiopian politics is very complex. No form of a mathematical model can be devised to solve our problems. It is also my personal belief that this document is not carved on a piece of stone. I also found the writing its self, to be very sophisticated and each sentence or paragraphs could be interpreted in many different ways. However, this does not at all mean any betrayal from the cause of the Ethiopian people.

During a political process, strategies in particular tactics will change to a greater length. It is possible that the opposition parties did not disclose the reasons, facts or other changes in the political land escape; might be for good reasons.

Joining the Wonyane government is a diametrically opposite to forming a provisional joint government that will pave the way for a democratically elected government within the next two to three years. I have faith in the opposition leaders that they DO NOT AT ALL mean to serve the interest of EPRDF/TPLF/Meles.

I will like to take this opportunity to ask every one to stand behind the opposition parties, and at the same time suggest making any corrections.

I am an independent native of Ethiopia and do not have a membership in any parties. To avoid any emotion we may have, to be patient and attempt to look at each piece of information objectively, we do not need to be seasoned politicians.

We ought to know better; our focus is the vote of the Ethiopian people. The path may change, but at the end of the day, THE ETHOPIAN PEOPLE VOTE must be accounted.

Thanks.

ben

Email: b159jit@sbcglobal.net

City: east bay, N. CA

If you have positive thinking stop considering one party as an Ethiopian and another as enemy. This will not get as anywhere. Having said this, I want to mention that each supporter of CUD or EUDF should refrain from dictating the leaders. Rather let them go their own way. These people cannot satisfy the desire of all their supporters. Particulry those who want things to be their way or not at all should realize that they are following dangeorous way.

Sisu the Addis Ababa

Email: sisu@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

moderator,
What Sisu telling you is stop playing the "big bro"

CUD/UEDF,have not tasted in 21th century poletics,EPRDF financed by CIA,EU,Even Egyptyian left over.

RESPECT THE PEOPLE'S VOICE (This is my only agenda)

May God continues to watch over Ethiopia and its people!! Respecting people's voice and choice is an act of obeying God's words. Again, the proposal seems to be guided by wisdom and knowledge. It is a proposal that shows to the international community, that the moral grounds of the opposition parties, is in good stand, they are willing to work with the ruling party in order to avoid further bloodshed. At the same time, it sends message to the Ethiopian people (diasporan community as well), that they will remain to be loyal to their voices, by promissing national re-election. It is a well thought proposal!! Not only the content of the proposal, but its tone reflects great sincerity and loyalty. And also,not dictatorial at all!!! Well, let God be with all of us!!

Everything what we do concerning our country must not reflect each of us personal interest but the mass that have no voice to speak for itself. Our country is facing with the enemy deciding to destroy Ethiopia with the Slogan “Ethiopia is there as long as I rule her people with crime.” We have to look alternatives which some of them wouldn't be our first choices but could be necessary to the sake of the people. Something is better than nothing. Water that is not doing something to reach the sea or have no shadow will dray out soon. There is no way out if we just sit and wait some one like woyane to come to the Ethiopian people and agrees according to the people interest. Their respect towards Ethiopia diminished when they decided to fight against the people in a gorilla war some 30 years a go. Their respect towards Ethiopia totally gone, when they made the country landlocked and they celebrated about. Their Ethnic policy, their division of territory while taking the vast land illegally and added to their province, when they took all the high leadership positions and when they used the parliament to ratify their crime policies against Ethiopia to announce as far as internationally as legitimate and there are many reasons why we have to conclude that TPLF cadres have no respect to Ethiopia and her people. They also have no respect the tigrian when they denied them their election right and took the election with force.
Until 15 may 2005 EPRDF was Woyane. The smallest so called coalition members with 37 seats were holding all high position posts in the country and abroad. All important country matters were like their own properties. They have done what they wanted. Their puppet parliament was there only to legitimate their crime against Ethiopia.
Now the Puppet parliament that was full of weak, foolish and kehadi members is gone. One day the Ethiopian people will ask each members of the parliament about their banda works serving the TPLF cadres Meles, Bereket, Arkebe,--- to hurt Ethiopia started ratifying to landlocked their country. Their relationship with TPLF members was like slaves and masters. Their relationship with these few cadres was very important than their integrity and commitment to their country and people. Those disappeared after 15 may election TPLF members and their slave parliament members are the worst Enemies in our history. They will be questioned for their crime legally by the coming Ethiopian govt and unofficially by people where they are living around.
The EPRDF coalition after 15 may 2005 will not be the same as it was before. Those bad members of the EPRDF have been voted out by the people. Bereket Simon, Genet Zewdie, Dawit Yohannes, Addisu Legese, Arkebe, Defense minister who was a foot Soldger during the derg era, and the rest will not be in the parliament. Despite little meles who is one of the unelected parliament members as all of the tigrian parliament members are will try to have the above mentioned criminal x ministers and high position post criminals to have them around for his benefit, the Ethiopian people will never accept them neither in the cabinet nor in any country matter. So, as TPLF is the smallest coalition member in the EPRDF, they will never have voices as they did in the past. There will no any reason some one like meles from the smallest coalition to become a prime minister or defence minister or foreign Minister or interior minister or the likes. As he is from the smallest coalition member, his position going to be limited to the assistance level. The new EPRDF Members will never afraid the TPLF members as the x parliament members did. Even if the coalition continues existing as meles created for his benefit, EPRDF will not be woyane but new EPRDF. Except Cruel, the enemy of Ethiopia and criminal members of the TPLF in the EPRDF, the rest are the confused, sick, foolish, selfish and incompetent Ethiopians. As the Ethiopian people whish them to take the EPRDF matter on their hands rather than those few TPLF cadres, they will be part of Ethiopia.
I think the CDU and UEDF approach towards our country crisis because of the TPLF members, is one of the many roads to save the country. If members of the CUD and UEDF agreed after they discussed this matter, we have to give them support. If there is big disagreements between them, we have to oppose fiercely. But opposition with out having other alternatives to our country is not enough and good. Our country is in a critical point. My personal opinion to this matter is positive to take the first step forward. Believe me, EPRDF after 15 may election will not be the property of those few criminal TPLF cadres. Before people were afraid of them as they were engaging with killing and destruction. But now, nobody afraid them. All the Ethiopian people know who really the TPLF members are. They are criminals not leaders. The new EPRDF members will never allow some one like meles from the smallest coalition to become their leader, as they know he created EPRDF first of all to serve him. The old time is gone. It is the new time. The time towards the truth. The good time to all Ethiopians.
People, Most of us are supporters not politicians. Leave this responsibility to those who are competent and given faith by the Ethiopian people. Dr Birhanu Nega is one of the few my favourites have abilities to become the prime minister along side with Dr Beyene Petros. If when I hear something negative about Dr Beyen’s stand towards Ethiopia, I don't believe any body. There is nobody in the country who suffered a lot from cloth range shots with words, hate faces and body languages in the country parliament by criminal cadres and their slaves and servants that Dr , hero, good person Beyene Petros. When most of us were in hiding, run away and became servant to meles, he was the only person boldly stood face to face against the bloodthirsty TPLF members to defend his country including the border issue. Dr Beyene Petros is a hero all Ethiopians have to accept, admire and be proud of having him. Imagine him as a lonely good man in a parliament with 550 parliament members which the vast majority of them were uncivilized, incompetent, had no integrity, they didn't know what the real politic must be, they had no idea about the consequences to their decision, just acted like a group of herd moving the way the Hyenas, foxes, snakes (TPLF members) asked them to do and created for negative purposes. So, people we have to know how to support and oppose. our leaders from CUD and UEDF need support and constructive criticisms with solution from us. It is easy writing about anything we want. But it is difficult to play the game with criminals such as TPLF members and score points to satisfy all Ethiopians that have deep hate against the TPLF members.
Here I would like to point out that no mater what their differences are, members of CUD and UEDF must stand together. Their unity is the strength of the Ethiopian people. They have to know how to work together with differences concentrating only at the big picture, the Ethiopian people. The tactic and technique to play games are depending on the opponent’s side too. It could be easy to play our games. But don't forget our opponent is not ready to play a fair game but playing with life using bullets, thanks and planes. Our opponents (enemies) are very sick the look like humans because of they are still breathing. They have no soul any more. They are suffering with high quantity of hate doses with no reason at all. They seem preferred not to live but to die after committing additional crimes. So we have to have another tactics and techniques to play and win the people’s game with out affecting the Ethiopian people no matter how long it takes. It is the country matter not a personal matter and we have to learn and teach frankly with each other. Don’t be emotional. Members of CUD and UEDF need appreciations and supports that would motivate them to continue with their contribution for the sake of the country. Before we know what is going on for real, we don’t need to react differently. We can’t solve something negative with negative approach. We need to be long, wide and deep range heart and mind sited.

Email: Ghion@hotmail.com

ow - look how sofesticated & articulate we are collectively!! If we can just take the 'winner take all mentality' out of it, only sky is th elimit for Ethiopia. It is one thing to battle hard during electoral process. But it is unwise to to continue to foament negative rethoric afterwords. One thing we haven't learn over the years is that, who ever is in charge see no value in listening to the oppositions, and the opposition see the only solution for all ills is if they 'get rid-off', not compromise with - the ruling party. It is good sign CUD/EUDF are willing to compromise, it shows thier maturity and they care for thier country. It is now incumbent on the EPRDF to also extned its hand and not dectate EVERY single thing. Face saving is VERY important in our culture, so lest see pass some of the things avode we told you so - or relish in embaressing others. We have a lot of important work, let us please not loose site of that. Here is an opportunity for EPRDF to change the course of history in Ethiopia. Here is time to step up and be statesman like. Millions of poor Ethiopians live is dependent on how each of the parties behave now. Ignore the hate mongers, the only thing that will serve Ethiopia for genrations to come is PEACE amongs ALL her children. Disagremenbt is ok as long as it is done in disagreable manner. Lets not get obssed on making our point - as we tend to. It is time we take one giant step - the rest will fall in place.

If either side doesn't want to work together, it will only get ugly for all. EPRDF will go down sooner later in a very ugly way (history has proven this time and again). It is just a matter of time. And, the opposition will become absolite and will loose all credibility if it will not Ethiopians best interest at hear and continue to hold the country hostage.

Email: mamo@yahoo.com

I would add that all political prisoners languishing in Woyane prisons up and down the country should be released with out any pre-conditions.

I am astonished that the letter has not made any mention of this important issue as one of the confidence building measures that the regime should undertake immediately.

There can be no negotiation with a regime that has not shown any willingness to do so. The regime will not disarm itself willingly to leave itself without and any protection. Will it really remove from the streets the army and police which are the main instruments of its repression? Will it agree to the restructuring of the judiciary so that it remains outside its direct control.
Expecting the regime to agree to these proposals is political naivity or delibertae attempt to mislead the public. The political operators in the opposition should know better than this. A regime which relies on violent force and a corrupt court system for its rule will not yield to any of the proposals.

Over all my assessment is that, the proposal gives the benefit of the doubt to the regime, which is better known for its brutality and tyranny than the promotion of democracy, peace and stability in the country. The record speaks for itself, divide and rule and ethnic/tribal politics is at the heart of the regime's politics. The regime is anti-Ethiopia, repressive and presenting it as a patrioitic force that will work for the benefit of the country as a whole is far fetched. That is where giving the benefit of the doubt comes in.

Where are the real CUD REPRESENTATIVE LIKE ATO HAILU SHAWEL AND ATO LEDETU
BERHANU NEGA IS RENBO, HE CAN NOT REPRESENT CUD.IT IS REAL BETTRAID OF ETIOPIAN PEOPELE BY SAING THE WORD COLITION. We have to find a way to fight EPRDF IN AN OTHER WAY
ANY WAY I WANT TO HEAR ANY WORDS FROM MY HERO Ato HAILU SHAWEL AND LEDETU
Is there any body ho can explain me, to agree with EPRDF WHY UNIVERSITY STUDENTS LOST THERE LIFE? WAS IT NESSARY TO STAND 11 HOURS TO CAST THERE VOT?
From the beginning EPRDF SEGESTED WHAT HE OFFER NOW, BEFOR THE DEASE OF THOSE YOUNG STUDENTS. Please explain to me. Is there any thing I could not see?

Email: Mmettiye@aol.com

City: Seatt;e

The propsal is excellent by what it left out rather than by what it has put down as a propositions.If it has the backing of EU and USA,which i strongly suspect,it is certin of positive out come.
Oppossions,you are simpily Brillant!Keep your compose,and fight myopism!Our prayers is with you all.
Ethiopia is God's country!!!!!

Email: messayewossen@yahoo.com

City: los angels

Dear brothers!
Are we concious on what we try to dialogue? Let be smart and think on something very important for our people. This is not a matter of win-win competition. This is about future existance of our country and its people. First attempt to realize this and ensure our existance then we can claim each other.

Stop exchange ideas irrelevant for the parties as well as the so called supports. Share concstructuve ideas that help the parties and the people.

Thanks!

Email: endashawmekonen

City: Trondehiem

what a shame?

lets wait and see brothers .Lets wait ansd see.
I think it a wise proposal.

tedla

Email: tedla_tege@yahoo.com

City: a.a.

Let us wait and find out exactly what all our beloved leaders are thinking. Why did they release this document a day before the meeting? In any case Ethiopians have said enough to a party which hate Ethiopia, our Flag, and have build its life on the hate for Ethiopia. Honestly we all know this regeme's primary goal is to dismantel Ethiopia. We need to understand what is at stake. Our leaders understnatd, they also know what the limitations and the possibilities are. Let us support our leaders, demand that they stand together. Let us refrain from disrespectful tone. It is understandable that our leaders can have different view on how to solve the current deadlock. Please go with a majority stating your view, never break the the unity you have fordged. Dir biaber anbessa yasser. This is true now and for ever. The joureny is very long, God knows we need each other. I now that none of you are doing this to gain power, you are suffereing for justice. History will see your sacrifice as you gave your life for the future generation. God beless you and give you the strength!!!!! I feel your pain. I have a great respect for all of you. My children and children's children will know who you are. I pray for your family too. Yor mother's, wives, children, sisters and all your loved ones are paying a price. God bless you!

Email: Mmettiye@aol.com

City: seattle

PLEASE TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SAY.
DR BERHANU THE ONLY AND ABLE INDIVIDUAL WHO CAN DEFEND EPRDF POLITICS. WHAT EVER HE SAYS IS FOR THE BENEFIT OF ETHIOPIA. HE IS THE LEADER OF ETHIOPIANS. WE TRUST IN HIM. DO NOT TRY TO SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT HIM. HE DESERVE TO BE RESPECTED. WE HAVE SEEN SO MANY PEOPLE AND NONE OF THEM ARE HIGHLY POLISHED AND STRATEJIC POLITICIAN LIKE HIM. HE KNOWS THE POLITICAL THERMOMETER OF THE COUNTRY. HE IS THE SURGEON AND HE KNOWS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS.

GIRMA

Email: girmabelay@yahoo.com

City: London

Dear Ethiopians,

I mean the true Ethiopians, It is okay to speculate and discuss issues of this nature at an early stage as it is. However, to come to conclussion on the issue my lead to a fatal injury to the people or to the opposition. While it is healthy to air views, let us not be so sure about things before they are confirmed by the opposition leadrership.

Let us encourage the brave Ethiopians facing the dictators on the daily basis and be sensitive on what we say about them before we hear from them - as this my weaken the people cause.

ta!

SA

Email: Semachewa@yahoo.co.uk

Re: PLEASE STOP WRITING RUBBISH.

HELLO GUYS, PLEASE STOP WRITING RUBBISH ABOUT DR BERHANU AND OTHER LEADERS. DR BERHANU HAS GOT EVERYTHING IF IT WAS NOT HIS INTENTION TO HELP HIS COUNTRY,HE GOT EVERYTHING. EDUCATED,WEALTHY,CULTUREDAND ABLE. HE HAS NO PROBLEM OF ANYTHING. PLEASE TRY TO UNDERSTAND. THE VERY TIME HE DECIDE TO QUIT POLITICS EVRYTHING WILL END IN SMOKE. I HAVE BEEN IN ETHIOPIA DURING EASTER AND I SAW HIM IN THE DIALOGUE. HE IS SO SHARP,DISPLINED,FOCUSED,ORATOR,TECHNICAL AND POLISHED POLITICIAN. I AM ORIGINALLY FROM AMHARA REGION. PLEASE LET US NOT MISS THIS MAN AND RALLY BEHIND HIM. POLITICS IS NOT LIKE SAYING SOMETHING EMOTIONALLY AND QUIT EVERTHING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD.
PLEASE LET US STAND TOGETHER LISSON TO HIM . HE IS THE ARCHITECT OF THE POLITICS THIS TIME.
GOD BLESS HIM AND ETHIOPIA.

Email: girmabelay@yahoo.com

DEAR BROTHERS AND SISTERS I REALIZE SOME OF YOU ARE REALLY HAVE A DEEP ROOTED PROBLEMS TO UNDERSTAND WHAT IS THE REAL PROBLEM OF OUR COUNTRY, IT SEEMS LIKE YOU ARE DREAMING IN THE NIGHT AND COME UP TO WRITE USELESS MESSAGE TO AGGRAVATE THE PAIN WE HAD RATHER FIND A SOLUTION.

FIRST OF ALL THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH IN THE MODERATOR WHO IS RESPONSIBLE TO DISPLAY A TITLE WHICH NEVER REPRESENT PARTY INTEREST, SOLOGAN OR WHAT EVER. PLEASE CORRECT THE NAME WOYANNE, NOT FOR THE SEEK OF ME BUT FOR THE SEEK OF ALL ETHIOPIANS. GO BACK READ SOME ON WHAT IT MEANS.

DON'T POST SUCH TITLE IN THE FUTURE. REFRESH YOUR MIND FIRST WITH SOME FREINDS BEFORE YOU WRITE EVEN IF YOU HAVE ACCES TO THIS PUBLIC MEDIA.

I FEEL SHAME TO SEE SUCH ETHIOPIAN IN THE FUTURE.

EM

Email: endashawmekonen@yahoo.com

Dr. Berhanu have just shown his true colors. He is just doing what he has done over and over again and that is betraying the Ethiopian people. His mission in the CUD is to be on the inside , take over and elimenate the hard liner Ethiopians like Lidetu and Hailu and betray the Ethiopian people for persaonl and foreign entitites gain. Shame on you Dr. Berhanu. You are a sell out. You will be judged by the Ethiopian people soon along with TPLF your friends. CUD leadership should take action on Dr. Berhanu before he does more damage. How on earth he can sign the letter when we have a president and vice president of the coalition. Incidently Dr. Berhanu's anti-Ethiopian activties didn't just started month's ago its was years ago when he was in the U.S. Like TPLF he used the Ethiopian song and crept like a sheep in our midst to achieve his foreign agenda/masters. I can assure you he won't get off easily. Betrayal of the Ethiopian people is punishable. Shame on you Dr. Berhanu the sell out.

City: Washington DC

Guys,

Let me be the first to say that the opposition has outsmarted and outwitted EPRDF and flipped the table on them. People here were tellin us that it is time for the opposition to surrender and the time has passed and they have been in effect rendered lifeless by the opposition. Reember the tide was suposedly running against them, or so we were told. Meles was to have suppsed packed, packaged, signed and put UEDF and CUD in the corner.

If any one of you think that this is a surrender on the part of the opposition, your understanding of politics is at the level of gebremenamen. Those of you who have been telling us that the opposition is not ready and immature and unseasoned. You have been delivered!

Those of you who are trying to divide the opposition by saying were are Ledetu and Hailu and why is Berhanu selling us, you must have forgotten what Hailu said in the interview. He said he would be ready to accept a re run of the election nation wide at a drop of a hat. Meles also agreed. Now the issue is who is going to be caught lying and changing his story. Meles or Hailu? Who would say no to a new election. The point I am making is there is no difference between Hailu, Ledetu and Berhanu. They are reading from the same page. Meles wishes they did not.

By the way I may have already won $1000. I ask the person to send the $1000 to the young heroin.

Read this: The opposition has outsmarted and outwitted the suppsed political master.

Mamo Qilo aka
Yejib Tila

I think this is the right step towards attaining what all of has been dreaming for our country, Democratic and prosporous Ethiopia. Let us show our support for this novel idea. Some are worried about the fate of few individuals in opposition camp forgetting where the people of Ethiopia are at the moment.

Email: bunab@yahoo.com

Participants,

I strongly support political dialogue. But,it is difficult to comprehend the proposal. We all know that the EPRDF has requested them to declare whether or not they will stay in the constitutional frame work.But, this proposal don't address such issue. In fact, it is confusing.

If they respect the constitutional order, the constitution don't provide, in any of its provisions, for the establshment of a Governemt of National Unity. Besides, this proposal contradicts their previous position of respecting the peoples' vote.The proposal fully disregards the public vote.

If they are looking for a new constitutional reform, why did they participated in the election process. Of course, the UEDF has been call for such arrangement for sometime. But, the CUD had already rejected this( and it is confusing to such arrangement.

Hence, the propasal lacks clarity.If they are negotiating for government positions, one will be forced to accept the EPRDF version of the story.

Then, who can help participants get clarity on the issue?

Email: alimodi_akrimodi@yahoo.com

Dear Moderator,

I agree with the compatriot who advises us to avoid using the word "Woyanne". This is a feeling shared by many friends from Tigray, including Aregawi Berhe. In fact, he has suggested calling Meles "Legesse" because he doesn't deserve the name of a true son of Ethiopia. He also advises against using the word Woyanne.

Now, this rubbish about Dr Berhanu Nega. A person with the right mind would never say what "Truth" is saying. Or s/he doesn't understand anything!

The proposal is brilliant. In simple terms it is saying (1) we have shown to the world that truly free and fair elections cannot be held with Mr Kemal Bedri's nest and Bereket's fortress in place (2) if Meles and Co. want the best face saving formula ["ye-wond berr"], this is their chance.(3) If EPRDF don't accept this proosal, CUD-UEDF can decide to boycott parliament and watch the next moves of Meles and Bereket.

So, please stop wasting energy in the wrong direction. We better work for a united opposition.

Email: addisumaferia@yahoo.com

Woyane is the correct name of EPRDF. Woyane stands for tribalism and enemy of Ethiopia. EPRDF is a camouflage; their correct name is Woyane. This is the name they gave themselves; we did not give it to them. Whatever shame or fame is attributed to Woyane, it is theirs to wear forever and ever!
Gobez!

Email: kassaa@juno.com

So long as it helps a peaceful way towards repecting the people's vote, it is not a bad idea.

Initially, I was a bit shocked when I read the proposal thiking that it is an indication that the Opposition are bending to the continued diplomatic and repressive pressure of the foreigners and the government. However, after going thoroughly, I can see that it contains a good alternative, though it is not the 'best'. I understood from the proposal that:

1. The Opposition is not still divided on the issue of respecting the voice of the people as some say. We heard the 'advice' from corners of the International Community and the threats from TPLF___ telling the Opposition to subdue: 'What you got is more than enough for now, you should live with it, join the parliament, etc. The proposal is a clear rejection of this option, as one can see the conditions in it.

2. Some compromise would be necessary to avert further turmoil and possibility of bloodshed. Remember that we are dealing with a group which worships its gun more than anything. We may have to for go a bit from the gains of our hard won victory so long as it paves the way to the big goal

Above all, however, I am pretty sure that the TPLF will reject this propoal without giving it a second thought. Negotiation, public opinion, national interest, reconciliation, etc., are not defined anwhere in the vocabulary of the TPLF. The response is a clear NO. Why should we then argue on the air, say that it is a betrayal, this or that....

PLEASE DO NOT MISINTERPRETE the Opposition's stand or the individuals that have taken part in preparation of this proposal. ALl we should do at this moment is, air our concerns and fears that things may go wrong, and if possible SUGGEST ALTERNATIVES to break the deadlock. Otherwise, by following a divisive path and developing mutual mistrust, the only thing we achieve is only PLAYINGO INTO THE HANDS OF THE TPLF.

Email: nebiyouda@yahoo.com

Mr. Mamo,

To me this is good because it clearly shows the true color of the so-called opposition. Please don't try to cover for them. We all read the same statement. They are not judged not only by trying to beg for power on this so-called proposal. We don't need any explanation the election and its aftermath. The missteps the so-called opposition made are evidences.

I haven't heard the outcry for the massacred and brutally beatten innocent people from the coward, so-opposition leaders. To the contrary, they haven't even maintained about the killing on their last time meeting with Meles when they went to beg for power via Clarke. Refer to the VOA's interiew. Please don't tell me that is a savvy political move!! Who are you kidding? These people don't deserve to represent that courageous people.

Thanks,

Alemayehu

Email: ab@aol.com

There is nothing bad in the name WOYANE. a friend of told me that its literal meaning is REVOLUTION.So, why will any body will be offend. There is no bad message in it and members of the party and its supporters are happy to be identified as woyanes.

Don't waste your time on such irrevalent issues.

MAMOMIAN!

AS YOU CAN SEE, "ALEMAYEHU" RAISED VERY INTERESTING ISSUE THAT HAVE NEVER COME INTO OUR MIND THE FAILURE OF OPPOSTION PARTIES TO RAISE ABOUT THE PAST KILLING. ANXIOUSLY, WAITING TO HEAR YOUR RESPONSE.

I think it is a wise move they have taken.What else is there to do? What would each of us has done if we were in their place? That is what peace-loving mature leaders should do.I applaud them for that.

Email: zghiwet@yahoo.ca

City: York

First of all how do you dream that EPRDF will be ready to form a natioal unity government proposed by CUD and UEDF which were advocating Ukrne/Georgia like revolutions.It has to bear in mind that the tally of the election is not finalized.All parties respect the rule of the game and accept the verdict of the public.

The oppositions are pertaing a new strategy i,e if you don't beat them,join them,which is mission impossible . The leaders of oppositions should read the constituion ,a party that has won majority seat has got the mandate to form a government,not a coalition or natonal . With all their difference onn the land policy, Federalism,selfdetermination or what have you ,it is unthinkable evenif it is possible.

CUD and its shadow UEDF are also suggesting peace and reconsilation.Why? Who will be reconcilling with whom?Reconcilation is defined in Websters Universal college Dictionary as"To bring into agreement ,to set quarrel etc."In our case there is difference of programme not despute.Besides ,differnce of idea is respected in the constitution and that is what democracy is.

Ethiopia can't afford investigation or election after election.We have to welcome the new year with new democratic EPRDF-led government. And the wolves could cry as usual .

Email: Abebe_D

City: Addis

FORUM PARTICIPANT!

YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME BY DISCUSSING THAT HAS NO PLACE IN ETHIOPIA BECASUSE THE CALL MADE BY CUD & UEDF TO FORM UNITY GOVERNMENT HAS ALREADY IN VAIN.

SO DO YOUR HOPE IS IN VAIN.

I think it is not Ethiopian people’s vote wish but it is the only option left to the opposition party. The way Woyane/EPDRF was and is behaving did and does not look Ethiopian. Since Wayane sold Ethiopian integrity and did damage Ethiopian people interest by leaving the country without port and dividing us by tribe/ethnic group. But Wayane is still full of Ethiopian people who doesn't care selling its own country's interest. However, Wayane is Ethiopian, therefore CUD and UEDF interest and proposal of working with Woyane must be one of the options.

If CUD and UEDF can't face and fight Woyanne regime then it is better to be friend of Woyane/EPDRF and work together for the interest of Ethiopian people. I think CUD and UEDF don’t have option other than joining to the call it Woyane or EPDRF regime, because woyane or/and EPRDF are also Ethiopian. IF YOU CAN'T WITH YOUR ENEMY/ADVERSARY THEN BE A FRIEND OF YOUR ENEMY.

Email: akje31@hotmail.com

City: Bombay

I think, this is the last option proposed by the opposition to avoid any confrontation. If EPRDF rejects this proposal, the next step seems very obvious. Only God knows the final outcome! Those who are proud of their military advantage might get surprised!

Email: walta@yahoo.com

City: addis

Momo Qilo, well said.

Glancing through the posts apparently opposed to this move, including the moderator's initial comments, one finds:

1. Alubalta and character assassination, the moderator implying Berhanu and Beyene did this alone, while there is no concrete evidence of this, and saying they are reckless, which their record shows they are not.

2. More character assassination and questioning of motives, with Jacky, Efrem, and others saying Berhanu and Beyene are simply after government positions.

3. Implications that those who formed this proposal are not courageous!!! As if human courage should be measured in the same terms as courage in the animal kingdom, where peaceful and TACTFUL courage are unknown.

And so on.

How can the opposition or Ethiopia as a whole develop while we engage in such backward behaviours? It's fine to question the substance of the proposal, but it's neanderthal to get into gossip and character assassination.

If there is a real rift in the opposition, then if one is loyal to the opposition's greater goals, one should wait until such a rift is confirmed in fact and then play it down and try to repair it rather than exaggerating and trumpeting it.

Finally, I believe we should not overestimate the power of the opposition. The opposition does not have the capacity to carry out a people's revolution. It can cause disruptions and chaos, but with very little certainty of the outcome. Knowing this, they are doing their best to play the strategy game with the other players, the donor community and EPRDF.

Let us give the opposition leadership the benefit of the doubt. Let them function like any successful organization here in the West, without the constant questioning and infighting at inappropriate times.

To the substance of the issue, it seems to me that this is clearly a trial balloon floated for the EPRDF to puncture. The opposition leadership seems to think it's a good move, and they know the state of the variables better than we do, so let's see how it plays out.

Email: a@b.com

I agree with the author "gojjame". Let's wait for the final decision of the partties. And he is right, we cannot solve negative dicision with negative critism. Party memebers already know that they cannot work any work under dictatorial rule of the Black Nazi, Legesse Zenawi(Ato Abebe). I don't think they will take the seat for their own personal benefits. Let's stay strong, persistent and determined until Ethiopia is librated from destrucion by its on cursed children.

Thank you!

Email: fekaduteshale@yahoo.com

Selam Mamo and Hirna

Mamo,

I wish I can share your enthusiasm. The document I read is a prelude for a “white flag”. The proposal tacitly acknowledges that the opposition lost the election. One does not need to read between the lines to understand this; it is all over the document. In fact it went further and singled out NEB as the sole perpetrator for all the vices manifested during the investigation process.

Though the Moderator’s accusation seems unfounded, and perhaps without merit, he, however, captured the essence of what is to come: EPRDF will form the next government, CUD and its junior partner UEDF would constitute the opposition block. It is that simple Ato. MAMO. (Every time Mamo uses Ankassa Doro as alternate name, he gets short sighted.)

As I have been saying for the last few days, the opposition has very limited options, and it is within its domain to measure the next move. In my opinion, the opposition leadership made a wise budge not because it proposed to form a “coalition government” rather it is using it to set the stage to accept defeat and cap the current impasse until five years from now.

Hirna,

You made constructive suggestions. Hi Five to you.

With love

Oppositions confused

I think the oppositions are so confused and hopeless,they do not know what they are doing.First of all,there is no body in the opposition who can match the smartest son of AFRICA H.E Meles Zenawi.In fact here in north america people do the IQ test to know their degree of intelligence,but in my view all ethiopians should not do IQ test to know how intelligent they are.Just by answering one simple questions ethiopians can know their degree of intelligence and the question should be `Do you support the government of H.E Meles Zenawi?.If the persons answer is yes,then his IQ is very high and If the persons anwer is NO then his IQ is below average or the person is mentally retarded.In my view Ethiopia is so lucky for having Meles Zenawi.I do not even imagine Ethiopia can get in the 23th century smart people like Meles Zenawi.We have to thank GOD for giving us Meles Znawi in 21st century.

Email: wedizenawi@yahoo.ca

City: Vancouver

Dear all,

The proposal is the last alternative. If the regime never accepts this proposal, then every Ethiopian shall be ready to eradicate the TPLF regime from the surface of the land, Ethiopia. All of us should pay sucrifice for our freedom. No more time to TPLF here after. This is the right time, which will never come again in short period of time to fight against the colonialist regime. No mercy to TPLF, historical enemy of Ethiopia.

Email: btworkie2003@yahoo.com

City: Stuttgart

Living in fear is to die million times. Every Ethiopian should ask him/herslef now the reason for living. One will die any time for any reason. Let's get ready to die for a cause rather than live shievering from fear through out our lives. The number one historical enenemy in Ethiopian history are TPLF and its supporters. The life of its enemies is up to the Ethiopian people not the opposition parties.

Wake up Ethiopians! Either chose libration or repression.

The life of wayen

Email: demelash@yahoo.com

City: Bahir Dar

Berhanu,

Why such a contradictary view? If EPRDF is your enemy, why are you beging them to share you power. If you realy mean it, sharing power with an enemy is sucidal.

Think twice before you rush to write such self-defeating opinion.

Ali

The proposal by CUD and UEDF is a well thought a priori move that needed to be encourged by all right minded Ethiopians. The problem that engulfs the diaspora is lack of tolerance and total misunderstanding of the situation in the country at present. The reality is that EPRDF is in power for the last 14 years, assuming that it will give up power based solely on the result of poll's is a naive assumption. The proposal in my views (if accepted bg Meles) will have a big impact on EPRDF's monopoly of power in the Federal Government. However, just Yesterday Meles got on TV and promised to his supporters that there will "never be coalition government" win or lose for EPRDF. Meles tried to emphasize that there is no "common ground" for the parties to work together, and re-emphasized that EPRDF is clear winner of the election which he already knows even though his hand picked Board haven't totally reveals the results yet. The opposition needs to squeeze into the Federal Government and share power that will give them greater exposure and power base within the Ministrial or the government agency which they will be in charge.
Ethiopians in the Diaspora worries me to death, because most of the time they are on the side of extreme right, tolerance of different view is void. We all want to see a vibrant, democratic Ethiopia, Most of us agree that Meles and his ethnic politics is sick and will have to be changed without stripeing the right of nations and nationalitys. Most of us respect and support the right of different ethnics to exericise and develope their culture and language, I do not think there will be any majority support for monolingua or dominantion of any ethnic group in the country. The Federal system has to be emplimented and power has to be structured closer to the people, I don't think there will be a majority support for centeral government anymore in this country either. The liberal voice of the opposition is working for the majority of Ethiopians, power sharing is viewed as victory for most of us who still choose to live in the country. Most in the diaspora has these wrong view of that TPLF/EPRDF will abandon power if it pressured by the International body, specially "U.S & U.K.", I think this also is a wishful dream. Some in The Diaspora with their comfort intacted also heared preaching for Yellow, Orange, Green, you name it revolution, while they are seating on their comfortable sofa and fleeping chanal to chanal on their TV screen while our kids in the country being executed by loyal special forces to the TPLF/Meles. The move to fight these eveil within it's structure and deafet it by playing it's own game takes a lot of courage and brain power, which I believe the likes of Drs. Berhanu nega, Beyene Peteros capable of doing it. Most in the diaspora view EPRDF as Un-Ethiopian, as if they are more Ethiopian than the rest of us. EPRDF is a party and the people within it's leadership are ETHIOPIANS, political differeces can only be viewed as it is name calling and labeling opposite view point is uncivilised and undemocratic in my views. I think most in the diaspora need to look beyound their comfort zone, entertening and listening different views will lead to tolerance and thus a UNITED ONE ETHIOPIA.

Email: yohnse@yahoo.com

Re: Wonderful idea but if only it is a lasting and binding one!!

Very constructive and to be welcomed idea and may be the last and credible way of respecting people vote. From what is stated in their proposal, it is cristal clear that the CUD-UEDF coalition are showing the international community that they are committed to lasting peace in the country and peacfull resolution of the May 15 election related conflict. This is particulary very important to get the hearts and minds of the international community which are skeptical of the opposition parties in their ability to lead a nation and stabilize the horn of Africa rather than being an emotional elite with no credible stand and expertise.

But one thing do matter, will the opposition parties stick to what is stated in their proposal or just come up with another compromised idea in case the EPRDF rejects it(which is most likely the case)? I blieve what the diaspora and the civic organizations should stress is that for the opposition to stick to their current proposal. For those who are not comfortable with the power sharing and bla bla, as far as the to be Unity Government is only transitional i dont think it does matter much.

Lets stress that all the party members abstain from emotional driven response but involve in a constructive dialogue and back what is proposed by Dr Brhanu and Dr Beyene.

Positive thinking is the foundation for the way forward to wining!

God Bless U all,

Email: kkebero@yohoo.com

City: Delft, Netherlands

I think Woyane and CUD,etc.., are the two faces of the same coin.When the opposition met last week with Meles neither of them asked Meles about the the massive killings of the innocent Ethiopians.Every one of them are fighting for authority under the expense of the poor Ethiopians.

Let me address some of what the “unconditionally yours community members" are saying. These are people who wish the opposition succumb to the threat by EPRDF. The opposition has shown political mastery. It is only 8 months since its inception, but for the last 4 months or so, the opposition has outsmarted and outwitted Meles.

Let me first dress down Ali in public. Ali tries to shoot down the strategic proposal as constitutional. I wonder if he understands what constitution means. I wonder if this Moron has ever read any constitution or consulted any lawyer. Pretending to be a scholar Ali writes: “the constitution don't provide, in any of its provisions, for the establshment of a Governemt of National Unity.” Who told this moron a national unity government is unconstitutional. Better yet, the constituion quoting moron seems to miss one obvious point: The constitution does not allow vote rigging? The moron further says “The proposal fully disregards the public vote.” No it does not. Mr. Moron, ask your younger sister to interpret the proposal for you.

Alemayehu

I believe you are confusing strategic policy and day to day politics. The proposal is a strategic document. It is not even a negotiation instrument. That is yet to follow, depending the reaction of EPRDF. You cannot expect the opposition to raise imprisoned CUD members and killed and wounded demonstrators in a strategic framework designed to establish a way out of an impasse. The imprisoned CUD members and the innocent victims are not ignored, but evry thing has a place and time. Those are issues and matters of elements for future discussion. Remember EPRDF has sold Assab, has killed many more people than the 40 in the latest demonstration, it has robbed and pillaged the country. Yet, the focus at this stage is how to build democratic institution and structure. The opposition never said that it acknowledges EPRDF is winning. It is simply providing a way out of the impasse without surrendering one single element of principle. You wish Meles was happy to see the proposal. Only misguided political morons would take this as a betrayal of the people’s will. It is a political marvel. Sit and watch. Give it time and you would see what is savvy about this.

Hirna,

I agree wit you on a number of issues, except when you write: “Finally, I believe we should not overestimate the power of the opposition. The opposition does not have the capacity to carry out a people's revolution.” This is underestimating not only the resolve and savvy of the opposition, but also the will of the people. Remember the people are waiting for its leaders to make the call. The opposition has the capacity and the resolve to take the streets.

Yilma,

I understand and respect your wish to see a quick resolution to the current saga. You have made it clear that your view is a moderate version of the misguided view expressed by Ethiopian. You both suggest the opposition should surrender and join as a minority government. The only difference between the two of you is that he attacks the opposition leaders, particularly Hailu. He has very little respect for the opposition. Your reading that the proposal is nothing short of a “white flag” is both misguided and misleading. You further wrote: “The proposal tacitly acknowledges that the opposition lost the election.” Where did you read that? Tell us exactly which lines and paragraphs you are talking about. Saying “One does not need to read between the lines to understand this; it is all over the document.” Is not enough. Where is the beef, brother? What is interesting is that your next line refutes your own assertion. You wrote immediately after the above line: “In fact it went further and singled out NEB as the sole perpetrator for all the vices manifested during the investigation process.”

You went further to say: “EPRDF will form the next government, CUD and its junior partner UEDF would constitute the opposition block.” Did you read this from the proposal? Or it is your interpretation? May be even a wishful thinking.

Meles is unlikely to accept this. I am of the opinion that the opposition knew fully well that he would not accept it. If you read the last two press releases
and the proposal under discussion, they are building a momentum for the eventuality. Go back and read the three aforementioned documents. See if it gets weaker, or firmer. Yilma, you are misreading the world.

Mamo Qilo

WHEN YOU LOVE ETHIOPIA NOT ONLY THE LAND BUT ALSO THE PEOPLE OF NATIONALITIES AND ETHINIC. LET ME SHARE ONE IDEA IN MY EXPERIENCE. SOME YEARS AGO ONE ETHIOPIAN FELLOW, IT IS AFREIND OF MINE ARGUE WITH ME ABOUT THE WAR IN ETHIOPIA AND POLITICAL ORGANIZATION REPRSENT OROMO, SOTHEREN PEOPLE, TIGRIAN, AFAR, ETC.

THEN HE FORWARD SUDDENLY AN IDEA BY SAYING IF THEY DON'T WANT TO BE ETHIOPIAN, THEY CAN GO. WE NEED THE LAND BUT NOT THE PEOPLE.

IMAGINE WHAT IT MEANS.

STILL SIMILAR ADVOCAT PEOPLE ARE PARTICIPATING NOW. SOME START TP PREACH ON BERHANU, LIDETU, ETC. IT IS OK FOR ME BUT WE KNOW THEM VERY WELL AS SOME TRY TO FEUL US. THEY ARE RICH, EDUCATED, GOOD POLITICIAN, SO ON. DON'T MAKE YOURSELF SO AFFILIATED WHEN THE WIND BLOW HERE AND THERE AND WITH INDIVIDUALS LIKE THIS.

MAKE YOUR POINT OUTSIDE OF INDIVIDUAL AGGETATION ON BERHANU, ETC BUT DEPEND ON THE PARTIES AS WHOLE. I WANT TELL ON THIS LINE I HAVE A GOOD RESPECTION FOR THEM LIKE OTHERS, I KNOW EHO THEY ARE. MEANWHILE MY WORRY IS NOT TO SUPPORT THEM OR NOT, IT IS MORE THAN THAT. TO THINK ABOUT MY COUNTRY AND ITS PEOPLE ON HOW THEY LIVE TOGETHER FOREVER IN THE FUTURE.

EM

CUD and UEDF have two options. Sit in the parliament as the loyal opposition or call for mass unrest to tople the democratically elected government. There is nothing in between. If they choose the first option, The Ethiopian people and the international community will applaud them. If they choose the second option, they will be crushed.

Hi all,

I myself is not against the proposal. It is a very well thought action taken by the opposition at this right moment.As I, and many of ethiopian review readers for that matter, expected it EPRDF said 'NO' to it.(read:http://www.cyberethiopia.net/news.php)

It,however, is a disappointment for me to learn that this proposal wasn't the idea of the majority of the CUD and UEDF leadership but of the two Drs.For me I would rather prefer a well discussed relatively bad proposal than a perfect one by an individual or very few individuals. Deciding on such big national agendas without the consent of other members is not a good sign for the democratic Ethiopia we would like to see in the coming years. So I suggest it is high time to invite this two people-Drs Birhanu and Beyene-to the tele conference and ask them about it.

Ibrahim

Email: kebret4@aol.com

City: san francisco,ca

Does the proposal techinecaly put the colition out of the election process or not?

BESIDES TO SEE A DEVELOPED ETHIOPIA. A FREE PEOPLE WHO SPEAK, WORK, LIVE FREELY EVERYWHERE. LET ME ASK SOME OF YOU IF CUD HAS WIDE PERSPECTIVE ON DEMOCRATIC ETHIOPIA WHY IS NOT INITIATED TO CALL ALL CONCERNED NATIONALITIES AND NATIONS OF ETHIOPIA TO BE MEMEBERS OR THE SO CALLED KENJIT GROUPS.

I NEVER OPPOSE THE PARTY IN GENERAL IT IS PART OF THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS BUT TO REMIAN YOU ON POINT WHY CUD ARE NOT INTEREST AND WILLING TO ENGULF OROMO, AFAR, GAMBELLA, ETC ORGANIZATIONS, ETC. THIS MEANS STILL THERE IS SOME PROBLEM BUT WE HOPE OR I HOPE WE WILL CHANGE IT THROUGH TIME. IT IS PART OF THE STRUGGLE TO BRING DEMOCRATIC ETHIUOPIA.

OTHERWISE THE SEBSEQUENT EFFCET OF ATTEMPTING TO BE ANOTHER DECTATOR IS DESTRUCTION IN THE COUNTRY. BRAIN WASH YOUR MINE WITH NEW THEORY AND IDEA THAN LOCKED OFF WITH LONGTIME THINKING AND INTEREST.

DON'T THINK ONE IS SEMART THAN THE OTHER. EVERY BODY IS SEMART IN ETHIOPIA EXCEPT THEY HAVE TOLERANCE AND PATIENT AMONG EACH OTHER THAN EXPOSE THEMSELVES TO EXTERNAL ENEMIES.

DON'T ALLOW TO BE A VICTIM TO OUR ENEMY AND ENTERTAIN THEM.

EM

Mamo Qilo,

Let me give you the main reason why I believe that the opposition cannot carry out people power.

Much of the opposition, in its current form, is new. CUD and OFDM are months old, and UEDF in its current form is also less than a couple of years old. What does this tell us? It tells me that in spite of years of at best incompetent EPRDF rule, the people of Ethiopia, elites and masses together, in-country and diaspora, and opposition politicians could not organize themselves properly until recently. It further implies that all these stakeholders in Ethiopia have not managed to raise their collective consciousness to a level that would produce stable, functional, and efficient organizations. If they had, they would have formed strong organizations years ago, would have plenty of funding, and would have an efficient organization.

Now, I believe all the opposition parties as well as the people of Ethiopia, and even the diaspora to some extent, have made great strides during this election process.

But there is still a long way to go. The people of Ethiopia have heeded CUD's message of social development, civic duty, fraternity, and such basic but necessary social values, and have demonstrated their understanding by setting aside their fears voting for the opposition. However, how deep is this understanding? Can they sustain the effort beyond voting? I don't think so. Cultural change does not occur this quickly.

If the opposition parties gain strength over the next months and years, then we will know that real change is happening. If they continue to improve on their transparency, and are free from infighting and other manifestations of low collective consciousness, then they will be ready for a people power movement.

Having said all this, I don't rule out massive (legal, by the way) peaceful demonstrations. If the EPRDF continues in its current belligerence and antagonism instead of conciliation, it could leave the opposition no choice.

Email: a@b.com

BASED ON THIS I NEED TO PROPOSE FOR CUD/UEDF TO JOIN EPRDF & WORK DEMOCRATICALLY TO BRING PEACE, FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY FOR ALL ETHIOPIANS. DR. BEYEN HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE ON THIS TO SHARE FOR CUD TO ADJUST THEIR MINE AND PROGRAM ON THIS LINE.

BOYCOTTE IS NOT AN OPTION AT THIS TIME CONSIDERING THE CHALLENGES WE HAVE INTERNALLY AND EXTERNALLY. WE DON'T NEED TO BE GREEDY AND SEE ONLY THE POWER IN FRONT OF US.

EM

My follow ethiopians, Meles Zenawi HAS WON .... how ?

1. He managed to win the public relation in the internation forum. He put by his side all international observers particularly Mr Timothy Clark.

2. The Oppositions have become unbelievably WEAK. It seems they are on the path to betray their promises. What did they sau before ? Haven't they said that the vote needed to be counted ? Haven't they said they wouldn't accept any verdict by any party that trash dowen the will of the people ? Haven't they said there will time to LEAD the people for peaceful struggle ? WHERE IS IT ??????

The CUD leadership are in the campaign of meeting the people ? Are they talking now with University Students who were beaten down and emprisoned for weeks ? Are they now talking with the families of the the 36 and more ethiopians who were killed ? Are they talking now with the taxi drivers of Addis Ababa ? Are they talking with more than 5000 ethiopians emprisoned ? Who are they currently consulting to make decisions ?
The People gave the verdcit on May the 15th. The People said "NO" to the Prime Minister. SO WHAT THE CUD LEADERSHIPm IS TRYING TO DO IS collaborate with the powers rejected by the people. SHAME ON YOU CUD LEADERS ????
Here is my final message. You may try to work with the Meles Regime. You may be ministers here and there. ( please keep note Dr Beyene used to be a minister). HOWEVER THE ONLY THING YOU ARE DOING IS LEGITIMIZING this government. You might claim as if you know and you are the ones who are educated. You might try to be a peace lover like Nelson Mandella. That's good; however Mandella DID NOT SACRIFICE THE WILL AND RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE.

Should you join the EPRDF, please be aware THAT WE WILL NEVER FORGET AND WILL CONSIDER YOU AS ONE OF THE WEYANES. As a due paying member of the KesteDemena , I will DEFINITIVELY quit the party and lay my support elsewhere.

Email: tazabi@yahoo.com

If this is not a betrayal of our people what else can be? As the leader of the opposition party they did not even want to suffer for a single day in Weyane's person, but people have paid very heavy price for the freedom of there country, sailing out there cause is treason. If you do not resist the heat do not enter to the kitchen, we do not want to hear any more lecture from any of those opposition party leaders who betrays their people when the time demands their sacrifices. Weyane knows that we have very weak opposition leader who do not go much and difficult journey.

Email: yilmagirma@yahoo.com

City: Denver

Moderator,

I ohnestly don't think, the Drs. would dare take this kind of action publicly. I beleive they are smarter than that.

Anyways, that could be one of the questions for Ato Lidetu on the teleconference.

Dear Mamo Kilo,

I like what you wrote as a reply to some of my friends. It seems you support the current proposal. You think this a strategic move. I would like to believe and agree to what you are writting. However, I don't think that's the case. I think the current leadership of CUD is trying to appease the Meles Regime.
For now Meles is having the upper hand. He seems very confident and bold. The CUD is being labeled as a group that is "not willing to accept the people's verdict". The CUD leadership has failed ..... Their legitimacy and respect is being eroded. That's by itself is a danger.

Sir, you see the CUD :

1. is not cummunicating with the people as needed.
2. seems to have big differences among themselves.
3. is to much accomodating to the regime
4. is being labeled as a group of few elytists .(Dr and engineers who themselves have not suffered in prior regimes.)
5. is lacking decisiveness and is not involving the people in the struggle. CUD's power is the PEOPLE. They are not using the people's power.

For instance the ban on demonstration is banned. Why don't they ear from the people and call a rally ? YOU SEE THE CUD IS ****LY FAILING !!!!!

Support for the CUD and trust on it need to be reexamined.

Email: tazabi@yahoo.com

Ali,
Believe it or not the current regime is number one enemy of the country. It never hesitates to jeopardise the country.But one day it will get its due wnen 'tsiwa gets full'.

Berhanu

Email: btworkie2003@yahoo.com

City: Stuttgart

THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST CONSTRUCTIVE ALTERNATIVE, AND THE LEADERSHIP OF CUD AND UEDF MUST BE CONGRATULATED AND SUPPORTED.

THE TPLF REGIME HAS A LOT OF GUNS AND THE OPPOSITION HAVE THE PEOPLE BEHIND THEM. THERE WILL NOT BE A PEACEFUL TRANSITION AND THEREFORE THE ONLY ALTERNATIVE IS A COALITION GOVERNMENT. I AM SURE THE EUROPEAN UNION AND THE USA ADMINISTRATION WILL FULLY SUPPORT IT IF THE DIASPORA ETHIOPIANS BEHIND THE LEADERSHIP OF THE OPPOSITION. THE ALTERANTIVE IS GOING TO BE WAR. WAR IS VERY EASTY TO START BUT DIFFICULT TO FINISH IT. IT IS A LOSE/LOSE ALTERNATIVE.

INSTEAD OF LIVING LIKE A COW FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, LIVE LIKE A LION FOR ONE DAY AND DIE, CAUSE YOU ARE GOING TO DIE AS A COW ANY WAY.

If there is ging to be a fresh election, as proposed, who is going to form the election board. If you call for a fresh election and do not be part of an interim gov't it is just like asking for a reply of the current episode.

Ohoo yea U see how failing the proposal was in the first place, what can u expect from the brutal secessionist regime.The people with the help of GOD knows what to do anyways regardless of the opposition parties

Email: jacos@yahoo.com

Tazabi,

You wrote that "the current leadership of CUD is trying to appease the Meles Regime." I can think of 1000 different way of appeasing meles. What the opposition proposed is 1000 miles away from appeasing Meles. The proposal dissolves the foundation upon which Meles's regime hangs upon. Meles, whome some of your friends are suggesting to be a political master would have known thir proposal. Nothing can be further from the truth.

Meles can lable the oposition anything he wanted. Ethiopian on this forum has labeled them or at least the leader of the opposition a remenant of Dergue. So, Tazabi, do not pay too much attention if Meles and his footsoldiers sugFor now Meles is having the upper hand. He seemgest that CUD is "not willing to accept the people's verdict".

I also find you mes amuzing in that you did not even mention UEDF, a party that some of you have written off. This is a party that will lead Ethiopia as a major coalition partner.

You wrote that the CUD is not communicating with the people. CUD is part and arcel of the people. Your remark is bh unfair and misinformed. CUD has shown mastery of political art. It is not by accident it reached where it reached in just 8 months. Such a growth requires not only consulting with the people, but also understanding and articulating the peoples need.

Your assertion that the leadership of CUD seems to have big differences among themselves is unfounded. What we are seeing is consistent with Ledetu's recent interview and Hailu's earlier interview with BBC.

In what wy do you think the leadership of CUD is "too much accomodating to the regime" I am not convinced that CUD lacks decisiveness, unless we are confusing decisiveness with taking a hard liner stand.

You can say what you may, but the proposal has put EPRDF in a very difficult position. It is a strike of a political genius. Only novice political observers would fail to see this.

Ankasa Doro

Selam Every one:

Just stop and think for a moment. Did you come to this world just to EAT and DIE like animals? Forget opposition leaders they are at least doing something. What will be your contribution to destroy TPLF (malignant disease of Ethiopia) from the surface of the earth. Do something, sooner or later woyane, the killer of innocent citizens, has to be eardicated and monuments of fallen heros like YESHIBIR has to be established. God bless savers of Ethiopia.

Email: demis@yahoo.com

Why our country is always in trouble? Is Ethiopia troublemaker land for its own people? When all of this social, political and economical mess is going to finish? CUD and UEDF are faced with an abrupt impossible change in lifestyle for their electorate people when their former and initial brave attitude takes off for very light adventures, leaving them to care for their own safety and their electorate. It seems that the days of brave attitude is over, and it becomes nearly impossible to get together with their adversary NEB. Both CUD and UEDF supporter are fearing their personal safety. For example Lidetu Ayalew and others learn to rediscover their life as a family with meles's secret security force. So, what is the option available for the opposition party? just CUD and UEDF must join Woyanne to open Woyane's eyes and show the right direction for Ethiopian people interest. CUD and UEDF need to convince to Woyane that dismantling Ethiopia is not good option.

Email: akje31@hotmail.com

City: Bombay

Dear Moderator,

It would have been better if you have started this discussion in a more nutral tone. From the discusion so far, I have the feeling that most people, including myself, are ok with the proposal and trust the judgement of the two opposition leaders who are on the line of fire unlike you and me who are airing our opinion with out consequence.

Don't forget that whenever you question the integrity of the oposition leadership, you are giving one more amunition to the EPRDF.

God bless Ethiopia

It's very sad to see Ethiopian Review playing a destructive role by trying to undermine the peaceful struggle of the oppositions. It's also very sad to see ER attacking two of opposition leaders with its unfounded claims [what a shame!]. I wouldn't have cared if I saw this "WERAE" on AIGA forum.
It seems ER is advocating "All or Nothing" policy. Let the leaders do their job; don't try to create cracks between the leaders. That's not helpful.
If you an alternative idea, put it on your website. Not only criticisms.
Unity is Power!!!

Unity :
do u know that in our history that leaders are the trouble makers? alwayz putting aside the people's interest for their internal gratification?I dont think u considered all the risk factors that are involved in the matter?

Have you watched the movie "The Incredibles"? Have you seen how the main character was assigned to destroying a robot in a wilderness? The robot fights people and kills anything that comes its way. It quickly learns how the person is fighting with it, adopts to it and comes up with another way of destroying the person. So, what Mr. Incredible managed to do was get inside the belly of the robot. Then the robot started hitting itself and finally destroyed itself. Thats how EPRDF can be destroyed. Someone has gotta go sit where the EPRDF is (the parliament) and manage the destruction from the INSIDE.

-------------------------------------

I think the view people have towards Dr. Birhanu Nega and this proposal can be used to measure their political maturity.

All of you calling this proposal a sell-out, including the MODERATOR, what the hell are you suggesting the opposition should do? Are you suggesting they start armed struggle? Are you suggesting they should end up dying after a confrontation? And what the hell is Ethiopia going to get out of their death or anybody's death? Should we be left with all the educated leaders murdered like the Menge era and have uneducated hooligans continue to lead over us? What the hell are you sugesting they should do, huh?! Do you think the money you send from here is good enough to pay for the life of a single Ethiopian? Do you think you are a hero for sitting here on your azz in your comfortable apartments and suggest the Ethiopian people should die in a confrontation with a tyrant? Oh, why don't you get your azzes down, go back there and lead us with the armed struggle, huh?!

And Ethiopian review was doing a good job supporting the opposition and now it resorts to dividing and engaging in character assassinations of respected leaders?!

I think the proposal is all that is left the opposition could do. And its calling for nothing, but peace. They have struggled enough for the votes of the people to be respected with all odds, including the international community, against them. They got no guns for God sakes. And EPRDF has shown that it is not the kind of government that is committed to peace. It has resorted to using guns and nothing will stop it from continuing to do so. So, just standing at one corner and repeating the same line over and over is not gonna be productive for the opposition. I don't think they have surrendered by providing this proposal. However, somethings are going to be given up in the process for the sake of peace.

All this is if the proposal is really written by the opposition parties. Is it consistent with their planned meetings with civic organizations and the public? Are we sure its not something like the fake "Yara Story"?

I think the oppositions are in a real danger , they don’t even know what they are doing , they don’t know what they want , they don’t know why they came to this position. They missed their plan and target. . They know they cant deal with EPRDF, but they insist to do so. That is funny , they know very well EPRDF is a dictator and they what to sign a deal with him. They want understanding between parties , knowing that EPRDF don’t understand them. They ask a win win condition knowing, EPRDF wants only victory.

Dear moderator ;

You have no right to tell us weather this is right or wrong. I appreciate you for providing the news and information, but I don’t want you to comment on it or guide me. I have a mind to do that.
Del le ethiopians
eskeww

Email: ashu_jz@yahoo.com

City: Amsterdam

Hi,
Again I would say please remove the irresponsible divisie news you have posted about the cud and uedf which is a premature conclusion.
Thank you

Email: mokbezt@yahoo.co,

City: Kitchner

For those of us who never participate in the democratization process, it is alway easy to criticize Melese or opposition groups. It is easy to criticize. The most amaizining fact is people who criticize or curse others are those who never contribute a peny to their country.

I like the proposal for so many reasons. The leaders believe that this is one of the many tactics to provide to the regim and if this does'nt work they will plan the next one. We are not the leaders but we can provide them positive suggestions - solutions. Cursing, insulting, belittling their idea can not be the solution.

It is easy to tell the people of Ethiopia to go for demonistration, hunger strick ... but we must ask ourselves if we can do these if we were in their place. I can say a lot but it is useless because I can not convince people who like themselves....

Email: seifu@charter.net

MY GREATEST DISAPOINTEMENT IS AT ETHIOPIAN REVIEW IN DIVIDING THE OPPOSITION BY ACCUSING DRS. BERHANU AND BEYENE AS IF THEY HAVE DONE SOMETHING TERRIBLE. THEY ARE DOING THEIR BEST IN AVOIDING WAR AND CONFLICT AT ANY COST. THEY SHOULD BE THANKED

Selam everyone

Mamo,

I read your reply to my posting. Rest assured that it was not “a wishful thinking”. That said, if you really believe the things you said in your reply,I think one of us is from a different planet, and I hope it is not me.

For now though, I just want to re write a couple of sentences from the proposal you so admiringly considered a brilliant work of political genius. I will leave the judgment to you.

1, “The most recent attempt to clear the election irregularities through CIPs have clearly faltered …. Because of lack of neutrality... by NEB” Mamo, what ever happened to “the massive vote rigging” allegations against EPRDF? Election irregularities happen all the time, even in places where you live. If the opposition’s claim is only “irregularities”, then the process had to be fair and there fore it has no case to invite international mediators.

2. Page 2 reads … “the first and probably key task is to develop trust on the basis of mutual respect”. One does not need a portfolio in a cabinet to develop trust. A very twisted argument, I might add.

3. As you read page 4, the mystery thickens, and it reads” according to the overall result of May 15 elections, it is EPRDF, CUD, and UEDF that are the chief political forces”. In addition, the paragraph below talks about cabinet post distributions, which would be “in accordance to the proportion of the votes they received at the May 15 election”. Further reading of this proposal reveals even more contradictions.

The more I read this political “magnum opus”, the more I am becoming skeptical about its rationale. It sounds like the old “Peoples’ Transitional Government” that once caused the death of several thousand Ethiopians. I am beginning to see why UEDF is the “pallbearer” of this proposal. CUD needs to disassociate itself and go back to the real issues before it is too late. The issues are Fair and Transparent count of the peoples vote. If EPRDF wins under a transparent process, I have no problem to tip my hat and accept it for the next 5 years. Mamo should do the same too.

With love, to all

Re: CUD and UEDF want to join Woyanne! Did you mean an interim gov.?

Hi all.

I re-read the document for at least three times. This is my second posting. My first understanding and impression of the suggestion for a "Provisional Unity Government" is highly true than joining Meles's régime to promote his program.

Given the circumstances, this is probably the best response CUD and UEDF could have come up with.

Enormous postings on this issue were generated, because of the way the document was posted on this website. The head line news on this website reads, " ...CUD and UEDF want to become Meles Zenawi's loyal servants, instead of people's...." The opening line of the news might have misdirected many of our readers. As a result, instead of focusing on the actual contents of the document, many of us defaulted to the Moderator's statement.

I do not want to blame the Moderator. After all, he is one of the most contributing members of our society. We have a responsibility to read, understand, interpret, analyze, and conclude in way we think is appropriate. The opposition parties may want to comment/explain on joining EPRDF vs a provisional unity government. This may clear a lot of the cloud.

I encourage all readers to go back, read, and analyze the document rather than grabbing a line to conclude, “Hey, we are sold.” You should give yourself a chance to read the document and share your thoughts. You do not have to go-by any one's interpretations. For that matter, I am not an exception.

Tks.

Email: b159jit@sbcglobal.net

City: east bay, N. CA

Hi,
You don't seem to respond or post my idea about the wrong impression given to the opposition approach. I believe everything has to be given a try and should not be considered a slander. We have to be witty and reserve our agressive style of politics until such a time the situation demands it. If you have the option at hand and it is an easy way out let us do it and we don't have to expect from those who have different strategy to achieve the success desired. kindly request you to remove the piece you have posted about the parties.

Thank you,
Moktar

Email: mokbezt@yahoo.ca

City: Kitchner

I think the Moderator is expressing the view held by those who voted for the oppostion: "our vote must count NOW!". What is being proposed by the oppostion is not consistent with the expressed wishes of those who voted for them. I'm at loss at the views being expressed in this thread by those who profess support for respecting the will of the people.

Email: nmengistu1@aol.com

City: la

I think time is up for opposition rancor
they either abide by the law or face the consequences
it's here plain and simple
http://64.27.65.90:8080/ramgen/waltainfo/etv/Meles_Intv2.rm

Ethiopian review is one of the few news and opinion outlets Ethiopians turn to to get information. As such this sights and it,s moderators should set a higher professional standard if they want to serve the people "truthfully". (And I believe they have done an acceptable job until now).

But the story and opinion presented by the moderator under this subject is made so to unduly influence the opposition leaders and to unfairly advance the moderators will. This should be unacceptable however the moderator or others think the moderators opinion is the right one. Using once position (in this case being moderator) to unduly advance once op pinion and tarnish the reputation of others has no other name but corruption. Corruption of the truth. It is bad journalism that will not advance the cause of the Ethiopian people and tarnishes the credibility of this fantastic web page. But the most damaging aspect of the moderators behavior is that it saws mistrust among Ethiopians, opposition politicians and the media. Mistrust among Ethiopians is the single most effective source of woyanes power.

It is only when we know that we would never take advantage of our position to defeat our opponents that we will be able to trust each other. It is only when we know each other to be just and judicious that we will be able to trust each other. It is only when we use our position only to provide a level playing field that we will be able to trust those who are in position. And most of all only when we trust each other that we will be able to defeat woyane.

NB: (big NB)
This writer has known the moderator of this sight to be a true Ethiopian visionary and one of a kind that provided a level playing field for many years for Ethiopians of every oppinion. It is only human to err. And the obove oppinion is expressed with the intention of improving that wonderfull quality.

HEY DO YOU THINK EPRDF IS SO IGNORANT, WE THE PEOPLE IN THE DIASPORA DO THE SAME. WE KNOW THAT CUD PLAY A DPUBLE STANDARD. HE TRY TO PUT ONE HAND IN THE PEACE PROCESS AND THE OTHER IN ILLIGAL ACTIVITIES TO LOBBY MEMEBRS. THEY ARE FEELING BECAUSE ALOT OF PEOPLE COME UP TO THE STREETS OF ADDIS. THE POWER IS ALREADY IN HIS HAND.

ALTHOUGH THE LEADERS SEEMS SMART EXCEPT FEW THE MAJORITY HAS STILL A PROBLEM OF POWER. NOT THE PEOPLE INTEREST SO ON.

TAKE MY ADVISE IT IS NOT EASY ON BOTH ALTERNATIVE TO TAKE THE POWER AND BRING PEACE, AND DEMOCARCY IN ETHIOPIA.

STOP FOR WHILE AND THINK FIRST BEFORE YOU EXCARBET OUR PROBLEM LIKE EPRDF. AS SOME PEOPLE ADMIRE DERG Vs EPRDF. WE NEED TO BE CAREFUL NOW NOT TO ADMIRE EPRDF Vs CUD.

IF WE ARE PASSSIVE TO SEE THE SITUATION WE WILL BE VICTIMS OF THE CONSEQUENCE WHICH IS DIFFICULT TO REWIND BACK AND UNBREABLE AT THAT TIME.

EM

I had been to one of the consultation fora CUD organized this week. There were 29 people representing different media organizations and civic associations. Most of the participants strongly advised CUD leaders that they should use the narrow political space available, be part of the next parliament as strong opposition and participate again in the election and try changing the present government then.I don't contend that these are the real voices of the people. Yet there is no doubt that a strong view is emerging in ethiopia: a view which, considering the poisened athomosphere of ethiopian politics at the moment, prefers gradual transformation to democracy to blood-curdling confrontation. I am of the opinion that compared to what most people were suggesting at the consultation i participated, the proposal to form national unity government is less compromising.

Email: netsi_76@yahoo.com

Forming Transitional Government
Let us make no mistake the situation where we find our country is as good as being on the shore of an ocean that has to be hit by a massive wave any time with the devastating effect. Hence any effort that enable us to avert or for that matter to avoid this catastrophe is highly commendable, the initiative, which has been taken by the opposition ought to be seen in this perspective. Moreover, this is the position that is taken not solely by their own occurred it is resulted from the consultation of high profile Ethiopians (by the way the consultation processes is still in the process) as this mammoth task needs to reflect the wish and the desire of our people.

By taking this position the oppositions makes the Melese government in the spot light once again, as the futile election and all the related mockery of investigation process that has and had been not only instrumental to intimidate and derailed the whole process but also makes it impossible for the oppositions to assert their position positively. One has to make a real distinction between BOWING for EPDRF THREAT and requesting being partner in a level field to form TRASITION GOVERNMENT. This action makes the ball in Melese side of the pitch and the action taken by Melese’s government is so detrimental both for the future of his government and for the action that is going to be taken by the oppositions in the near future. One shouldn’t forget the positive effect of this exercise for the oppositions both in Ethiopia and abroad,too.

Email: hassabu_1@yahoo.co.uk

Selam Ato Yilma:

Let us first agree on the premise of our discussion. Your latest posting dwells on the form and presentation of the proposal than on its substance. For example, you try to establish a case by making a pint that the proposal uses the term “election irregularities” rather than “vote rigging?” Ato Yilma, when you are writing a proposal to break an impasse, you do not use strong word. You avoid such words, with out compromising o the principles. For example, if there were minor irregularities, the proposal would not have asked for re-election. It is massive vote rigging that justifies re-election. So Ato Yilma, let us not focus on the form or presentation of the proposal let us see the substance and the objective it is trying to achieve.

What is wrong with the line that reads … “the first and probably key task is to develop trust on the basis of mutual respect”

Your next line that suggests “One does not need a portfolio in a cabinet to develop trust, is a distortion and deliberate misrepresentation of the proposal. In general an interim government is to ensure that the preparation for the next election is designed and carried out in an impartial manner. Do you see, anything wrong with this?

The proposal is designed and well developed to correct what went wrong, without compromising on principal positions and in the meantime giving peace a chance. I really do not understand why people fail to understand the problem that some of the supporters of CUD and UEDF are having. It is an excellent proposal that gives the opposition an upper hand in providing a meaningful way out of the crisis caused by the government’s vote rigging and by NEB’s failure to correct the wrong. Time of negotiation. If EPRDF agrees to the general framework, the details of the matter is to be hammered out by a committee representing EPRDF, CUD, and UEDF.

You were also right in pointing that UEDF seems to be the one spearheading this proposal. I would not use Pallbearer. You need to realize that CUD cannot form a government without the support and participation of UEDF. If UED goes to form a government with EPRD that would be the beginning of the end of CUD, not only for this election, but for the next election. The Coalition of UEDF (with moderate and pragmatic position on the question of nations and nationalities) and CUD (with strong centralist tendency is a winning combination for Ethiopia. We need to be careful not to disturb this chemistry. And CUD supporters cannot attack UEDF. Remember UEDF is an independent party with its own objectives and goals. Its constituencies are different from CUD’s constituencies. So the proposal is a strike of a genius both in terms of keeping the balance between CUD’s and UEDF’s positions, again without giving in any of the principal positions. Your suggestion or recommendation to CUD to leave UEDF aside and stick to CUD’s previous position fails to understand that CUD without UEDF is a minority party and cannot form a majority government. This is bad both in the short and long term.

I agree with you on one more point. If EPRDF wins under a transparent process, I will be among the first to accept the wishes of the people and recognize it as a legitimate government.

Mamo Qilo aka
Ankassa Doro

I like it, it is a sign of civilaization
Ray

Email: yonasbaheretibeb@yahoo.com

City: AA

Friends and foes don't waste your time ,there is no intent of forming a coalition government by EPRDF.After all the election was carried out not to form national unity government,rather to give voters the right to elect their representatives.It is good for the oppositions to be loyal rivals.Therefore the winner form government period.The minirity have to work for 2010.

Email: Abebe_D

City: Addis

Dear Members:
As the author of Satanic Verses put eleloquently when he was criticized the tradtionalist. I will borrow his line of thinking and say that:
Broad-mindedness is related to tolerance; open-mindedness is the sibling of peace. This is how to take up the "profound challenge" of the Ethiopian backwardness. Will Haile Shawal and his ilk agree that Ethiopia must be modernized? That would make them part of the solution. Otherwise, they're just the "traditional" part of the problem.
Meles will rule forever.
The writer is a novelist and essayist whose works include "The Satanic Verses."

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

Ethiopia is multi-ethnic society and the sharing of power by all those concerned could be a source of stability and good governance. A good example of a successful powersharing is ANC government of South Africa which decidely accepted its arch enemies, the whites South Africans, in the government, immediately after the end of Apartheid government.

Power sharing however would fail when power is concentrated in the hands of one ethnic group that becomes the responsible agency for managing national resource. EPRDF is the glaring example of failure.

In power sharing there are number of critical questions that the opposition should ask before it makes its mind. It should ask who is forming the government and who is asked to join the government? If the Melese government is forming the government with the opposition an extension the outcome would be EPRDF with another face.

The opposition should go on to ask who would be in charge of the military and security? Who is in charge of ministries of Finance and Education? How independent are the parliament and the judiciary?

Presently all the power arising from the above resides in the hands of Melese regime. The reason why we have a wide spread injustice and alienation is because of the concentration of state power in one ethnic group.

Do n't oppose power sharing. Ask the questions who would be in charge of key government agencies particularly Security, Jusice, Finance and major economic sectors.

City: Paris

Ibrahim,

You come across as a moron than as intellectual. What is the purpose of quoting satanic verses? Is this to tell us that you are a liberated muslim? What kind of STUPID question is to ask if Hailu Shaul is ready to see a modern Ethiopia. Mr. Mororn, grow up.

Mamo Qilo

the moderator is here in US and wants to unseat the government by remote control from here . and hence oppose the brillant proposals of the two seasoned political gurus of the country . both Dr Berhanu and Dr Beyene are smart enough to understand how to systematically evade the political trap set by the woyanes. most of us far from where the heat is raging say the opposition has to do this or that ...we try to be the Aristotle of Ethopian politics even when we barely understand the reality on the ground.don't forget that for the time being woyanes have guns and some constituencies who support them , do u think they will give up power the way some fools in this forum think? never. so you have to be wise and prudent to achieve the ultimate goal. u don't have to ride on your emotions . hysterical ambitions won't help u one iota. politics is a complex process and delicate and if it is mishandled it may lead to a big disaster. do you know in the current world there is nothing u can do without the support of the international community especially in a country of ours where most of its income are generated one way or another from the hand-outs of the westereners. moderator it seems that you are here in support of the woyanes not the ethopian people. you are doing everything u can to divide the opposition and using this website to rally opposition behind the opposition . please set aside if you have any ulterior motive or hidden agenda to weaken the opposition . don't try to shroud yourself in wolf hide and pretend u are concerned for the well being of this country . i am sure that both DR beyene and Berhanu have so many things u don't , they are there only for the sake of the people . if u believe this is a wrong idea you can convey your message to them. but don't try to influence people using this website . we are reading this website not to tell us what you are thinking . your sole duty has to be only to provide the information unslanted and unbiased .don't put your spin on the information . that isn't objectivism. otherwise you are just like a propaganda machine like Bereket . ya, that is it .

Email: toklaw@hotmail.com

City: wa

Please help!!!

Are there 2 CUDs? One who proposed government of national unity and the other who says we have no idea about the proposal.

Teshale

Email: concerned_222@hotmail.com

City: Quebec city

hej
I have a feeling that this tow members of cud(berhanu and beyene) may work with Epredf with out the knowlagge of cud members. ohhh God may be they are
the one give order for the meles regim so that the polis continues to harass and violate the civil rights of opposition leader Ato Lidetu let us stand together and find out who is behind this evil work.
cud and uedf must make sure their leaders are not workning with the goverment .if so this leaders must be removed from their position now. I wont like many Ethiopians the meles regim to step down . if not cud
and the Etiopian must fight to make them go. that is the only way for cud to fix the current problem.

Email: solomon@yahoo.com

DR BEYENE IS IN UEDF and DR BERHANU IS IN CUD. If these two people alone did. Why CUD did not offically denounce it?

There is no Ethiopians For Ethiopia. I heard it all from Radio Fana interview with some of CIP panlist. There is nothing but only that CUD/UEDF are the one who created the whole trouble. All of their reasons for re-investgation of the vote count was baseless. The fight even in the first place was designed wrong. How can anyone think that to win EPRDF with peoples vote? I let it go as it is. I think it is better to join EPRDF and work with them and see what will happen for next 5-years. One thing I can say before too late is, There will be no pace with Ertrea. The innocent young people will go to war again and again...poor young people,,,,,I feel sorry for them.

Again, Atetrugn-Abate-Alelem,

thx

GREAT IDEA

BRAVO BERHANU AND BEYENE. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU. TPLF DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ETHIOPIA. THEY ARE THERE TO LOOT THE COUNTRY DRY. THEY DO NOT CARE FOR A SECOND IF THE STREETS OF ADDIS WERE WASHED WITH BLOOD. AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT REMAIN IN POWER THEY WOULD DO A LOT OF HARM.

NOW YOU,THE CUD AND UEDF ARE PUTTING THE BALL RIGHT INTO THE TPLF'S LEADERSHIP COURT. NOW INTERNATIONAL POWERS WOULD NOT BLAME THE OPPOSITION FOR NOT WORKING TOWARDS RECONCILATION IN ETHIOPIA. THE EUROPEAN UNION AND USA SHOULD FORCE THE TPLF REGIME TO ACCEPT THIS ALTERNATIVE BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

THE MODERATOR IS VERY ILL ADVISED TO CRITISIZE BERHANU AND BEYENE, BERHANU AND BEYENE ARE BY FAR VERY SMART. ANY ONE WHO WATCHED LIVE DEBATE ON ETV AGAINST WEYANE MINISTERS BY DRS, BERHANU NEGA AND BEYENE PETROS WOULD NOT QUESTION THEIR STRONG STAND AGAINST THE TPLF REGIME THAT IS BENT ON DESTROYING OUR COUNTRY.

THE BLAME IS OUTRIGHT MISPLACED. IT IS VERY SAD INDEED.

dear ethiopian
The jockeying of power and accessing of resource are
in its full gear of exercising within the Northern people while the southern leading opposition group namely OLF, ONLF and AFL are warming up the palace of l'homme malade du Corne de L'Afrique, Isays. That is to say, the southern opposition group are in the wrong palace at the wrong time and they should not be with the man who is considered in Horn Africa as the wreath of earth and watching unfolding in from of them the power sharing of Northern people.
Somali saying goes" Truth will not kill you, but it will scare you". I am sure that many of you are in the state of surprise that your opposition group are warming up the palace of Ethiopia with Meles in order to get a power seat. In the past, we have said that when the dust settles and emotion disappears, the truth will rise its beautiful head and face you and your kind with facts and evidences.
Today, CUD/UEDF expressed publicly that they are after power and do not have any clear and inclusive programme that will address the need of Ethiopian people.
Moreover, we are appealing to all Ethiopian namely the majority of Ethiopian people Oromo, Somali, Afar and Kambelas to name a few and work with Meles and other opposition group camp from the northern who are in the first place work on how to share your resources. They have done in the past and are repeating the same historical game again and again. This is the time we, southern people, need VJ to hire as lobbyist and ask to implement his approach to bargain the power sharing; otherwise, three scenario will be foretell.
First, a coalition of EPRDF and CUD/UEDF will be making and govern the country. This is disastrous for the majority of Ethiopian people. Meles will replace the former Dawit, Genet and the mayor of Addis with Betroys, Haile Shawal, and Merrara. He will rule the next five years.
Second, EPRDF will dominate and CUD/UEDF will confine in Addis Abeba and one by one will be eliminated while EPRDF beat the drum that Amhara ghost with Ali Goshu is coming back and Ethiopia will be heading to doomsday.
Third, the EU, USA, Arab League and AU will force Meles to include OLF, ONLF , KLF and ALF. Mr. Meles who is very good at selling its achievement to the international community of being the man who introduce democratic system, multi parties and rule of Law will go to the storage of strategy and tactic of 1995 and bring the rosy window dressing that will allow economic power to the southern and keep the political power in the hand of EPRDF. In addition, Meles will govern, widening the difference gap and pit the CUD/UEDF with OLF/ONLF/KLF/ALF in order to pass bills in the parliament.
. This will help him to overcome the current crisis and also allow him to rule Ethiopia in the next five. In retrospect, he will prepare him to field his EPRDF candidate in the next coming election.
All in all the same broken CD will be played which has the following songs: the song of the week will be that EPRDF is the savior and guard Ethiopia from the invisible hand of opposition group, the second one will be CUD/UEDF will steal Article 39, the third one will be OLF and ONLF will be painted as usual with big brush that these organizations are in the path of terrorism ( which is not true, but will help Melees to gain the money from Bush ) and the fourth song will be Ethiopia embarks on democratic system, rule of law and multi parties( this will be only target as consumer to the Western World) Gebre and Ibrahim will entertain this song.

Email: jamaloc@cox.net

City: washington

We're gonna have a God-fearing government soon regardless of who said what.
God bless Ethiopia.

Email: bre6000@yahoo.com

Lets CUD and UDEF handle the crisis, It is not our job to decide what needs to be done. Our job is to support them regardless of our reservation on some issues, otherwise they cannot be effective in dealing with EPRDF. Please, in God's name, we in the diaspora lets not contribute to break these opposition groups. If they are gone you better know Ethiopia is gone for good.

I don't think the question is whether or not it was a good proposal. It may well be. And in fact this can be one of the many ways to surmount the current political impasse. As a matter of fact it was a well thought out proposal.

What concerns me and disturbs me is whether or not the proposal has the blessings of the majority of CUD/UEDF leadership and members.

United we stand, divided we fall (ABREW YEFESUT AYGEMAM)

Besides we are all aware of the divide-and-rule strategy of you know who...

Bad performance is better that disunity...any day.

Ajirea

The CUD and UEDF are betraying all ethiopians at home and abroad. We, the Diaspora, have been giving them our hard won money so that they will over throw the Weyane, not to help them to be aprt of it. Now, after milking us, they are trying to get a place in the government. This must be the doing of Berhannu Nega and Beyene. I have never trusted them. My trust was with the true Ethiopins like Hailu, Lidetu, Pr.Mesfin and dr. Hailu. I hoe they will not let us down.

Email: sisu@yahoo.com

Dear Belachew

What do you mean when you say you did not trust Drs.Beyene and Berhanu? Is it because of their ethinic background? The persons you mentioned as trustworthy answer my question. How sad it is!

Email: Leli@yahoo.com

Guys,

The role of he Diaspora is to support and NOT to Lead the struggle in Ethiopia. The people there are on the ground, the have full information and are better suited to make decisions, some times i is the right decision, some times it is a wrong decision, but on the balance no one would deny they have made bad decisions so far. Let us not forget how many in the Diaspora criticized them when they decided to run for election.

Nothing in the proposal suggests that they are surrendering or waving a white flag as some have suggested. It is a well thought out proposal that provides a way out of the impasse without allowing Meles o keep the vote he has stolen.

What we are doing now is spkitting the opposition. Some are creating a rift between CUD and UEDF, Others are creating division within CUD.

Ankasa Doro

Our country is facing the worst enemies ever has happened to her. We all know how the 15 may election conducted. It was brutally high jacked by TPLF cadres (meles, Bereket, Arkebe---) and group of kehady, hodam, foolish and animals called NEB (handpicked by an x president-meles who took power with gun). Because of the sake of the country, the visionary and very much aware off the country, the opposition parties who have mandates and supports from the Ethiopian people requested the TPLF created EPRDF regime to form a National Unity Govt in order the situation peacefully be solved.
Those who have no idea about peace and freedom blatantly rejected this very important proposal, disrespecting the oppositions and mainly the Ethiopian people. It is now clear to all Ethiopians about the TPLF stand towards Ethiopia when this proposal simply, quickly and angrily ignored by those few TPLF criminal friends rather than the so called coalition members, EPRDF. The 14 year relationship between TPLF and the rest of the coalition members in the EPRDF comes clear to the Ethiopian people when every decision concerning the country maters especially the important ones are deciding only by the TPLF members (Meles, Bereket, Arkebe) and kehadi Addisu legese and sometimes the x- taxi chauffeur (Dawit Yohannes) who is very much affecting his own people while helping the TPLF criminals.
Now the first option to save our country is rejected by criminals who are relaying on harassment, terror, prison and killing. Now it is clear to us that as long as the TPLF are not in power, they don't care about the country and people. It seems to me that they are looking forward in order law and order disappeared from Ethiopia hoping to prolong their resident in our palaces. It seems to me that they are more than ready to do anything only to benefit themselves.
The question now is, what the oppositions and the Ethiopian people have to do next? War, hate, destruction, division, hunger, poverty, diseases, terror and the likes are the best ways the TPLF cadres are looking for in our people. They are champions this way leading the 72 million people since they appeared in picture with their negative actions.
TPLF is created not for the sake of the Ethiopian people but we all know the answer the reason why. The oppositions’ vision and approach to the situation in our country must be very different that the TPLF cadres are. If we approach them the way they want us to be that way (hate, war, disagreement, disunity, weak---) they will stay over our head and shoulders until all of us disappeared because of causes they are creating for this purposes.
The oppositions must stay uniting and clean from personal interests. If there is no country, there exist no people even to call. If there are no people, there is no way to satisfy personal interests. So, we all first have to secure the well being of our country rather than looking to implement personal visions. We have to understand that as an individual each of us are different. But as people we have to have common grounds. We have to know how to give and take. We have to develop a win- win or win –loss behaviour not because of individual or group sakes but the sake of the majority. We need also to understand the implication of important choices we are making towards the majority. To carry responsibilities concerning the nations matter is not a joke. It is the highest responsibility, achievement and sometimes punishment against personal interests. Especially in the case of our country, to be a good politician is not easy. But live a hard life committing oneself for good cause worth much more than any body in life wants to achieve. Look the situation in our country. Why is it the way as it is? It is because of human error. The different between countries is based on development activities. Look America, Europe, Asia, Middle east, the different between them and us is created by human. By nature our country have more gifts than cold Europe or desert middle east. The point is, the reason why we became known as beggars, poor, under developed , etc is not by nature but by ourselves. So, it is the interest of each of us from now on to work hard towards development and prosperity. We have to give first priority to the first choice looking the situations from many angles.
Now TPLF cadres are rejected the NUG. They acted as if the leadership position is given to them to spread hunger, misery, destruction, division and hate among the peace loving Ethiopian people. Right here, I will be happy if I hear their ideas concerning this issue from the 3 biggest coalition members of EPRDF. Are they the new EPRDF members that going to use democratic process inside the party first rather than bluffing against the people through media? How is it possible the smallest coalition members in the EPRDF (TPLF) still are using the best properties, positions, and anything the country has while the 3 biggest coalition represents which are more than 80% of the party and 90% of the population. Wake up the new EPRDF. You have to remember the name NEW EPRDF is give by Gojjame who is I, the one that his people vote in East Gojjam is stolen by TPLF and NEB joint conspiracy. Because of your service to the TPLF cadres against the interest of the Ethiopian people, you will never reach to paradise but to hell. If you are healthy and full grown human being, you would be mad with yourself because of the action you are doing, serving the criminal cadres of the TPLF. Do you know what they did to our country and our solders when they were Gorillas? Don't you understand what they are doing to us since they took power 14 years a go? Don't you ashamed off yourself when you give respect and follow criminals who have no right to become leaders after committing so many crimes and looking very much to continue with their atrocity? I know soon rather than latter am going to see practical reactions from members of the EPRDF against the TPLF members if they have not lose completely their human conscious when their country is abducted by the smallest coalition (TPLF) members.

We, as one nation have to give unlimited support to the oppositions. We have to understand that they are facing the worst creatures (TPLF) cadres and it is not easy to them to score points we all are looking for to the sake of our country. They are facing the worst enemies than those known wild animals who are killing to eat for their survival like tigers and lions. I think sometimes it could be easy if the oppositions approach those naturally wild animals to make the domestics rather than to meet face to face with TPLF inhuman creatures for the sake of the country. They are living in people's palaces and villas. They are using people's property. All of them came with nothing and now they are the richest people in the country and in Africa. They are using us to the maximum. Yet in place of appreciation, they are determined to kill us with weapons bought with public money. If they are human, they would do anything for the sake of the country long a go when poverty took charge in every body’s life. But as I said we are facing the look like humans with empty soul and direction towards God's way.
The oppositions have to continue with their peaceful resolution the crisis with the so called govt. For the sake of the country we have to prepare to the maximum doing anything even we personally don't believe with. But we have to draw lines to cross and not to cross. The people vote must be respected. It has to be the main duty to all opposition parties. There shouldn't be any compromise against the people’s interest. The NEB is proven to be part of the TPLF. The oppositions have to end their active relationship with this proxy bad Ethiopians serving the TPLF interest.
The oppositions need to intensify their diplomatic mission with practical approaches. For example they have to explain with written documents about the whole Election process, the constitutions, about the nature of the Govt from its beginning, about the danger of its policies, about the chronic poverty situation in the country, about the harassment, killing, imprisonment etc and especially about the relationship between NEB and the Govt. The govt also has to be charged with its crime against humanity especially about the killing of youths and mothers in front of their house in daylight. The pictures have been seen by the international community. So, the diplomatic war against criminal TPLF cadres and NEB has to be intensify by the oppositions and by Ethiopians everywhere we are. The oppositions have to have close contacts with civic organizations. The Ethiopian teacher association, students organizations, Media groups, women organizations, Business people, religion organizations and with every Ethiopian. They have to understand that they are heroes to the Ethiopian people. They also have to understand that the Ethiopian people totally relying on them. Because of their big responsibility, they have to have very healthy, clean, clear tie relationship with the Ethiopian people. They have to know that they are leaders to the 72 million Ethiopian people. Every one is on the line actively supporting them and if anything happens to them there are millions to carry on the struggle. Woyane have no ability to kill, imprison or do whatever bad things to silent the determined mass Ethiopians. The nanny to unwanted and unblessed Baby meles (Legese) Tony Blaire, the manager to the childcare centre, Bush and those who are looking to take care the after school parentless meles will never stand against the Ethiopian people. If they know the Ethiopian people are determined to topple these few TPLF cadres, without additional explanation, they will be with us.
We are the first responsible to our matters. But don't forget we are living in the global world. TPLF also made our people to be totally dependent on the west as worst as to save our life. It is shame but this is the reality. We have to do anything to solve the situation without major crises. But if it comes about the people choice, there would be no any compromise. I personally will never forgive to myself if the stolen people's vote from East gojjam is not given back to the hard working, innocent, determine, hero, believer and Ethiopian lover residents with millions. My families, neighbours, relatives, friends and people in East Gojjam will never accept the cheat by those from Tigry who committed many crimes against the good and true Tigrian people, too. Many people from east Gojjam as it was happened from the whole Ethiopia didn't die in Adwa or in any battle to save the Tigrian people in order those saying from Tigry to cheat them with their vote in daylight. Here I’m not just talking behind my compute but it is my deeply internal feeling, I already determined since 15 may election that if the people vote is not respected peacefully, I would fight the fight never happened before against TPLF members and Kehadi NEB until I passed away. I will not enjoy the life after I knew TPLF cadres have stolen my people’s vote and as the result they are again the rulers, illegally. I and they we all born the same way. Their right and my right to my people is the same in the right way. They have no right to live life at the expense of the Ethiopian people. I give them time. If they don't listen. We the children of Belay Zeleke know how to fight the enemy. Do they know Bamlaku? Do they know Wobale? Do they know the people of Bichena, Motta, Debre Markos, Enesse, Basso, Machakel, Debre Elias, Wament---. They have no idea about the people of Gojjam. All of Gojjam are the same. There is no East or west Gojjam. If they admitted west Gojjam voted the opposition, that means without further explanation east Gojjam also voted the opposition. As they did among the Ethiopian people, they are trying to divide the homogeny, proud, hard working and one family residents living in the whole Gojjam. We are living in one big and beautiful home protecting by God, (abay). No Gojjame, No Ethiopian will accept living under difficult life caused by people so called leaders. Except God, no one has the right to determine anyone’s life, especially those criminal TPLF cadres not, period.

I also very much want to see the Tigrian stand concerning the current situation in Ethiopia. Although all tigrians have got no even a little respect by TPLF cadres as they denied their right to vote, their brothers and sisters from the rest of Ethiopia and worldwide are thinking of them. Behalf them the rest of the Ethiopian people have got at least the right to vote although the TPLF took the result illegally to become again illegal leaders. When the majority of the Ethiopian people are fighting to get the stolen vote back, people in Tigry who have got no right even to gather, discuss and vote seems are happy about the current situation in the country. When the rest of the Ethiopian people are dying and suffering by TPLF cadres who are saying came from Tigry, the tigrians are not showing their sympathy to the suffering Ethiopian people and their objection against the TPLF cadres. We all know if TPLF members get even a little practical opposition in Tigry, the situation in the country would be better in the mater of days. If they continue being silent and turn their face while their brothers and sisters are suffering and dying by few cadres using the people of Tigray illegally as their backers, then it would become clear the Tigrian stand towards their Ethiopian brothers and sisters on one side and their open and secret positions towards the TPLF, on the other.
As they are part of the Ethiopian people, their relationship with the Ethiopian people is the best interest to them rather than with those handful criminal Eritrean blood TPLF cadres. Despite People in Adwa and the rest of Tigry know meles’s father and his grandfather from Tigry and another grand father from Eritrea (his mother side) were bandas and the hate feeling towards Ethiopia including Tigry in the Meles family is a generations old and deep rooted, brave and faithful tigrians are still accepting him to do what ever he wants against Ethiopia. First he made our country landlocked, then Eritrea became the biggest coffee export country in Africa while there was/ is no a single coffee tree there, then he created war in order to kill our young people with thousands. Meles jailed, killed and forced them to exile the true Ethiopian, born in Tigry because of their stand towards Ethiopia. Do you know the relationship between Iseye Abraha who is languishing in prison because of his stand to his country port situatin, and Arkebe Equbay? Do you know who is Arkebe with his billions of birr worth Cash and property? Yet the Tigrian people are listing and accepting what these few cadres are saying and asking them.
Ethiopians living in Tigry are God loving people. We all know we have many things in common starting from religion and other traditions. We are the same people living together since existence. We have the same face, we have the same tradition, we have the same forefathers etc. In Gods name, way do you believe when the TPLF cadres saying to you “if TPLF is not staying in power, the rest of the Ethiopian people will kill you?” We know they have no respect to you too as they completely lost respect towards Ethiopia. But it is difficult to think off even for a while the so called leaders on one side saying to the rest of Ethiopia “the Tigrian people are backing us and we are working for Tigry.” On the other side they are wishing in order people in Tigry became antagonist with their brothers and sisters in the rest of Ethiopia. They are so sick thinking bad for you. They are undermining you as such without these criminal cadres, you have no ability to live by yourself. They are very negative cadres terrorising you saying “The Amhara, Oromo or else will kill you “while their secret is having you to back them to stay in power. They perfectly know if they get opposition in Tigry, they will not be leaders even for more than one day.
So, as these criminals are saying “we have support by the people in Tigry”, anything happening against the rest of the Ethiopian people by these criminal few cadres, will be seen directly linked with innocent tigrians, too. It may not be the right move. But as long as they used the Tigrian people as their cover and the tigrian people also do nothing about, then who are they? The wish of the Ethiopian people from Tigrian is not tomorrow, not after many damaged have been made, not after many hostilities created but today they must join actively with the fight against the enemies of the Ethiopian people. You have got no right to vote at all. But when you became silent concerning the 15 may election, it is difficult to ignore your neutrality with the TPLF cadres who are terrorising and committing unreversed crimes against our common country and people. Your brother and sister relationship with all Ethiopians is facing a very big test. You can’t ignore without showing your stand. If you continue keeping silent as if there is nothing happing while the future to our country lays in big question, then it is easy to conclude about you stand towards Ethiopia.
Since 15 may all Ethiopians in the country and Diaspora are expressing their objection against the TPLF cadres’ activity towards the Ethiopian people. We are looking all Tigrians in the country and abroad to join their brothers and sisters for the sake of our country. We all have to admit that it is the matter of time. TPLF dominating regime in Ethiopia is over. Soon or latter the Ethiopian people will take power in hands. The Tigrian contribution to this matter is very essential as the TPLF cadres are using them as their covers. But with or without them the Ethiopian people will win the battle. Before it is too late and created mistrust between us, Tigrians must join now for the sake of our common people and country and have very bright future together.

Email: Ghion@hotmail.com

HOW COULD THIS BE PRACTICAL!!!????
PARTIES WITH UNREIABLE STAND AND A PARTY WHICH CARRIES THE STAND OF THE LAN TO TILLER!!!!

Email: deleted

City: deleted

Dear Gojame,

May Alah save our country from those who nshare your racist view.

How did you know that EPRDF rejected the proposal? I am in Addis and I have no information.There is no official statement.If you are speaking about the Meles interview it was done two days before such proposal.

So, try to base your argument on facts. I am not saying the EPRDF will accept the proposal but you have to get from them before rushing to a conclusion.Hatred don't help you bring about change.

Ali

For ever CUD will not get any chance to join Woyane.
Woyane will continue to fight against the dictators.
If you try any violence the punishment will be doubled!

Email: hawelttariku@yahoo.com

Dear Ethio-review,
It is one hell of stupid and flawed peace of journalism in your part. Please don’t make up stories to make it fit into your own short sited prospectus. These two are great men of Ethiopia and they will remain so. You can not take them out of hearts and out the hearts of the Ethiopian people. Ay Ethiopia! What a shame!

Email: aomolo@fhi.net

Dear CUD members,
I personally admire your proposal.It is well thought.I feel that you are the true Ethiopians.For those who blame the EPRDF for murdering the innocent Ethiopians,I feel ashamed.This is because many don't seem to understand what a demoracy is.I would like to show them the democrat looking African leaders,who have slaughtered hundreds of innocent citizens in their own dewelling.Yet this was labelled democracy.

I don't really support the blood thristy agazi millitias nor would I support their commander Meles.
I still believe that he is the only Ethiopian leader to show us a democratic election.We should admit that he is one oe the rearest intelligent leaders on earth.But He is aperson who used his inteligence imrpoerly.We should also remember that democracy with out sucrifice....

I love you all for your efforts up to now.CUD is supposed to represent Ethiopians not a single Ethnic group.That is what Dr Berhanu and Dr Beyene did.
Please think of the future generation.

Lets be realistic in which regime did we have such a democratic election.

One fnal remark I would like to add is that if CUD does not accept this proposal it would be its demise.If the purpose of CUD is to revert to Amhara domination,as prof.Mesfin claims,that will end with vail.I tell you just donot try it!
wondimagegn
Atrue Ethiopian lover

Email: wondimme@yahoo.com

City: Amst

This makes a big victory to EPRDF ,thanks to Berhanu and Beyene

Email: kalla90@yahoo.com

Mr./Ms Belachew it is confirmed you are an EPRDF's cadre. You are one of the editors of RadioFana. Please, have a fear of God. You need Christ in your life.

Email: hhaile@gmail.com

City: MS

In politics COMPROMISE is a form of struggle to advance the cause of the people. Those who advocate violent confrontation and polarization of the situation to descend into CHAOS -lack political maturity. At this critical juncture, in the struggle for DEMOCRACY in Ethiopia, the proposal presented by CUD and UEDF is the best strategy to further islate and e xpose the Meles clique.

Email: miketica53@msn

City: Silver Spring, Md. 20902