Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Meles calls on opposition political parties to conduct business in legal, peaceful manner

Meles calls on opposition political parties to conduct business in legal, peaceful manner

Addis Ababa, - Prime Minister Meles Zenawi said opposition political parties must officially resolve to conduct their businesses only in a legal and peaceful manner.

In a press statement he gave on Wednesday, Prime Minister Meles said it is impossible to allow problems associated with the election to continue posing fear on the public and instability in the economy.

The Prime Minister said in many parts of the country, particularly in Addis Ababa, there is a growing sense of fear that violence could suddenly erupt and the peace of the nation could be in jeopardy.

The Prime Minister also pointed out that such fear is being reflected in weakening business activities and even in development activities.

Meles added that it is by no means acceptable to allow the deterioration of business and development activities in a country of acute poverty.

Speaking of the electoral process, the Prime Minister said issues related to complaints were handled in a unique way of investigation process that involved contesting political parties and even international observers with a view to make the process transparent for the public and to build confidence among the parties.

The daunting task of complaints investigation has been well conducted, and is still being conducted, Meles said, adding, "We have gone extra miles to put in place such a system of investigation with the conviction that it would be of help for the building up of democracy in the country."

He said the effort to go extra miles to accommodate the situation has created such problems such as delaying the official announcement of the election.

However, Meles said, whatever was done for the sake of making the investigation process transparent is worthwhile.

Currently, Meles said, the process is being finalized as the electoral board is winding up the investigation process and preparing to enter into the next phase of the process.

Now that the electoral process is being wrapped up, there is no need to continue going extra miles as has been the case so far.

Accordingly, the Prime Minister said, it has become necessary to strictly go by the word and spirit of the law.

The state of uncertainty and fear of violence will not be allowed to continue, Meles said, adding the situation must swiftly be resolved.

The path of violence and peace must clearly be distinguished, and now is the time to make that distinction, Meles said.

Meles said at this point in time leaders of opposition parties and their members must reach at some decision.

Their decisions must involve abandoning of illegal activities which they have been doing so far and, while maintaining their rights to criticize the decisions of legal institutions, they have to observe their duties to respect the legal authority of the institutions and continue their business in a legal and peaceful manner.

There is no other way between peace and violence, Meles said, adding one should either accept without any preconditions the path of peace or declare open war against the constitutional order.

The Prime Minister called on the parties to make a peaceful and democratic decision that would be of use for the nation and its people.

Re: Meles calls on opposition political parties to conduct business in legal, peaceful manner

I refuse to read it.

Re: Meles calls on opposition political parties to conduct business in legal, peaceful manner

"Abiyotachin ketekalayinet wodeatkinet teshegagere"
Lt. Col. Meles H/Mariam.

Isn't this what your boss is implying?
We shall see !!!!

Email: jaduethio@yahoo.com

City: DC area

Wow!
"You have the right to legimize my dictatorial rule".
"Do as I say and I will spare you. Dare to stand against my rule, and my Stalinist stick is ready to srike"! Democracy al a Meles.

Visitor,

You said it beautifully. But the opposition's proposal sems to have sniffed the wind out of Meles's sail. Mr. Prime Minister seems to forget 2005 is a new world.

Mamo Qilo