Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Article 39 and CUD

Dear Ethiopian:
I do think that there is really no need for all this high noon stuff that is coming from CUD foot soldies, but to face the reality and come up with a good programme that will make a reliable opposition group. In other words, if only the CUD would take a step back and try, for a change, to look realistically at Ethiopian objective reality and understand Ethiopia in its own terms. They seems very busy not to pay attention and afraid their supporter who live in the Western World and locked in the mindset of old Ethiopia will not financially help them.However, we, the southern, will interpret the Ethiopian that they aim at creating backward, injustice and undemocratic country.
Moreover, Ethiopia was faced with this question for century and EPRDF has proposed this solution:
Ethiopian Constitution Article 39
Rights of Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples Every Nation, Nationality and people in Ethiopia has an unconditional right to self-determination, including the right to secession. Every Nation, Nationality and people in Ethiopia has the right to speak, to write and to develop its own language; to express, to develop and to promote its culture; and to preserve its history.
Every Nation, Nationality and people in Ethiopia has the right to full measure of self-government which includes the right to establish institutions of government in the territory that inhabits and to equitable representation in state and federal governments.
The right to self-determination, including secession, of every Nation, Nationality and people shall come in to effect: (a) When a demand for secession has been approved by two-thirds majority of the members of the Legislative Council of the Nation, Nationality or people concerned; (b) When the Federal Government has organized a referendum which must take place within three years from the time it received the concerned council’s decision for secession; (c) When the demand for secession is supported by majority vote in the referendum; (d) When the Federal Government will have transferred its powers to the council of the Nation, Nationality or People who has voted to secede; and (e) When the division of assets is effected in a manner prescribed by law. A “Nation, Nationality or People” for the purpose of this Constitution, is a group of people who have or share large measure of common culture or similar custom, mutual intelligibility of language, belief in a common or related identities, a common psychological make-up, and who inhabit an identifiable, predominantly contiguous territory.

What is the solution of CUD for this problem ?
That is the million dollar quotion; otherwise do not blame us to support EPRDF and Meles Zenawi.

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

Re: Article 39 and CUD

Ibrahim,

I am afraid the CUD is willing to discuss on the issue let alone answer your one million question.

For your information, the CUD leader Hailu shawel(who misinformed the BBC),was a miniter of the Dergue between 1971-1975E.C(1979-1983).On hard talk, he told as that he tried to help the dictator mengistu staighten things right and finally opposed the regime.

The truth is, he joined the regime immediately after butcherig tens of thousands in the red terror campaign.He also left the regime due to medical case(a real medical problem not a pretext).Don't forget Dr.hailu served the Dergue.

Then, how can we expect Dergue officials to respect the peoples' right enshrind under Art. 39 of the Constitution.

Ali

Email: alimodi_akrimodi@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

That is why every sane person in Ethiopia
supports EPRDF regardless of EPRDF's short comings

thanks Dr Shirdoon
dani waa seeto

YeEtyopyan hge mengst,Ankh'ets'39 yedenegegut lelawn hzb iyekefafelu inesu iyegezu lemenor asbew yaderegut saera new.Lezih seytt'anawi tegbar tebabari mehon yelebnm.
Kefafayoch' irasach'ew ykefafwlu.Amen.

Email: zghiwet@yahoo.ca

City: Toronto

Under Article 39 of the Constitution,the whole of Ethiopia should secede from Tigray and then sort out their problems later.How is that?

City: Toronto

Under Article 39 of the Constitution,the whole of Ethiopia should secede from Gonder and then sort out their problems later.How is that?

Shiradan and the lot Talking rubbish as usual

Art(39) is supported by warlords to enrich themselves at the expense of their own people. look at OPDO, a disgrace to the oromo nation!

Art(39) is not supported by the nations of ethiopia.
for the past 14 years, the ethnic federalism (ye kebt beret) that came as a result proved to be a pain to all nations. Freedom of movement, nil! mobility of capital, zilch! great obstacle to progress and human freedom.

Either u dont know what u r talking about or you are one the fat belly warlords!

Email: fklstd@aol.com

City: Washington

Ibrahim,

Are you man enough to comment of UEDF. And what your differece is with UEDF. Why are you refsing to answer this simple question. How do you compare the difference between UEDF and EPRDF.

You have failed yourself and your mentor.
Ankasa Doro

Dear Mamo and his Footsoldiers:
The difference between EPRDF and UEDF is that EPRDF is the party that routed Mengestu and established a regime where all Ethiopian felt to be part of it.
UEDF has to work under the rule of EPRDF and accepts its role while abiding by the law and ackowledging the result of the election that EPRDF is the winner again for the next five years.

Ibrahim,
How about respecting the people’s choice. EPRDF had fourteen years of leadership. Ethiopian people have spoken in millions—Fourteen years is ENOUGH!!

Ibrahim,

The more you write the more you sound like gebremenamin and Ezana, like a broken record saying the same thing over and over regardless of the question at hand. The question is not who ousted Derge. The question I posed was in substance your views square with UEDF and it is only in rhetorics that you are married with gebrelekuskus.

UEDF stands for all you stand for and it is a principled party and led by people with integrity. EPRDF and you master, Meles, have their hands dirty with the blood of many innocent people, includingin your region. You told us earlier that Meles attackes and kills Somali people to get credit from the west for fighting terrorism. You admited (although indirectly) that Meles has forbade the Musli community from building a Mosque in Axum. So the thug is a *****ror and also denies Ethiopian people from practicing their right to establish a place of worship where they choose and close to their living quarters. So the question is why are you bending over to Meles and company when in principle your views are more aligned with UEDF.

Ankasa Doro aka
Mamo Qilo

Dear Mamo:
The majority of Ethiopian people did not want to see the window dressing of UEDF and CUD and its theoric fits nicely Somali saying " One can not throw a fruit in his hand to the ones that are on the tree".
In addition, when Mamo and his footsoldiers are saying that the majority of Ethiopian have spoken whom are they talkling about? the one that were oppressed and enslaved and killed for hundred years or the ones who are enjoying their lives and doing better and contructing road, school and clinic to name a few.
Brother and sisters get a life and tell to your beloved organizations to reform or go through the EPRDF training that will help them to wash their brain from the past and wrong history :They were told that only one Ethiopia exists and that Ethiopia should be ruled by the Northern. Meles reverses that ideology and thank Mr. Meles. Forget about human being the camel of Somali Region is supporting your regime since you guarded her from the roaming and trigger-happy soldiers who did not know you values in the eyes of Somali Ethiopian Society.
In addition, the praxis war of propaganda does not fly alone crosses a duck Maskel square that your beloved Mengestu used to break bottles so as to terroirize innocent and poor people.

Why did Amhras failed to bring Justice and Democracy to Ethiopia and Ethiopians for the last 200 years of Amhras domination of Ethiopia ? ? ?

http://www.yara.com

Email: Demeke@Hotmail.com

City: CO

Dear Ethiopian:
It is not Amhara ethnic that brought injustice and domination in Ethiopia. On the other hand, they were and still ar a few elitist including other ethnic group who put Ethiopia at the bottom of the world. So do not blame the poor and innocent Amahra who do not benefit from the system. I am talking about the farmers and working labor forces. In addition, the majority of Ethiopian students who died were Amhara, the majority of EPRP members who massacred were Amhara and Wallelin was Amhara who died while he was championing the cause of all Ethiopia. Might God Almight rest his soul in Heaven.
In 1977, when the bloody regime of Siad Barre hijacked the struggle of Somali Ethiopian and killed more than 80 officiers. We, EPRP and WSLF membes, sat down with the official of Ziad Barre and requested to not to enter his troops in Ethiopia. However, he did not accpet our request. When the unjust war brought, it was the Amahra ethnic group who saved many Somali skins included myself. When the fighting arrived at Dire Dawa, Amahra person, Solomon, who used to play football with us and worked in the military came to our house and took all my family to his house.
Therefore, let us call the spade the spade and do not get a big brush and paint all Amahra ethnic group.
Let us differenciate the likes of Negede and Derg fascist cadre including the moron MEISON and the majority of innocent and poor Amaha who do kill a person let alone a fly.

Demeke,
I told your brain was decayed. If you don't believe me, read what our Somali brother wrote to you.

Demeke,
I told you your brain was decayed. If you don't believe me, read what our Somali brother wrote to you.

Ibrahim,you claimed you a Somali region born Ethiopian right?lets here you type in Somali if you really are.

Email: DillingerJ1@aol.com

City: DC

Moderator,let him write.

Email: DillingerJ1@aol.com

City: DC

Dear DillingerJ1:
I know who is your advicer and the people of Somali Region are caught between two evil the settlers and the narrow nationalsit who misued the rights of Somali Ethiopian. A certain who advised you on this question do not understand the politic of Ethiopia and you are lost man who did not want to hear EPRP healthy political process and democratic system.
Therefore, EPRP, Ethiopian Somali Democratic Council and progessive Oromos and other peaceloving will work hard to help Ethiopia to move to the 21 century.

Ibrahim,

Thanks a lot for defending our people. These moron Amhara will never understand our situation. All they want is to dominate other poeple. Why I am here in the states? Because of derg. I had enough torture and suffering from Amhara. I hope Amhara will never rule ethiopia again. They are backward people.

Email: hvison@yahoo.com

City: San Jose

Waberi,

i don't think we need to blame others for our short comings but work towards learning from our past mistakes and mobilize to strengthning our base.look at Zenawi and its TPLF...look at where they at....
If Ziyaad Bere wouldn't have entered ethiopia in 1977 and let the Brave brothers and sisters under the umbrella of the mighty WSLF , i wonder where we would be as people today......have you imagined that.....Tell us how we could re-unite our people, give us a roadmap.........stop the rethoric and hate and blaming others.

nabad wanagsaan walaleyal
Samal

Email: samal@scu.edu

Dear Ibrahim Shirdons,

Somali Ethiopian saved by RASSIA and Cuba help... Amhara never win a war without the help of other... if you know one tell me.

Waberi:
Who told you the Derg was Amhara regime. We know you are Woyane trying to blame Amharas for Meles’s crime. You are out of your mind; Menegestu’s regime killed thousands regardless of ethnicity. I have lost a lot of family member from my Amhara Side and Oromo side during Menegestu. As usual, you Woyanes don’t know what you are talking about. Unlike Meles, at least Menegestu believed in one Ethiopia.

Mogegnet ask Who told you the Derg was Amhara regime

What Menegestu does is what Amhara want
Menegestu believed in one Ethiopia by force. One lanuage by force. one religon by force that is what Amhara want that is what Menegestu does.. therefoe by defult Derg = Amhara.

Menegestu want sea port by force that is what Amhara want sea port by force... Menegestu hate TPLF Amhara hate TPLF gut... you see what i mean now

Dear Members:
This week a good joke was circulating that will fit nicely the murder Derg and its associate who are still thinking to go back to the power seat:
A joke circulated during the height of the Irish “troubles” coinciding with the first Palestinian intifada. A man was walking through Ulster late one evening, when a hand reached out of the shadows and grabbed him by the neck, and a voice with a deep Irish accent demanded, “So what be your religion?” The man hurriedly thought, “If I say I’m Catholic, this guy could be Protestant and kill me. And if I say I’m Protestant, he could be Catholic, and kill me.” So the man shouted, “I’m Jewish!” And the voice replied, “And I’m the luckiest Arab in all of Ireland!”
In other words, the question is not to be Amhara or Somali or Oromo, but the murder who want to get back to the power while they are playing exercise with ethnic, religion and region.

tulu,
Sorry tulu, I haven’t been able to understand you at all. You always come up with strange logics. God knows, I’ve tried to get some sense out of it but not able to. And please don’t try because I’ve given up to understand you. I have no respect for any one who brings ethnicity in every issue to create chaos and division and to some people who don’t recognize evil when they see one. I know you don’t care if I respect you or not but I don’t care, either but that is how I feel. Good ridden!!

Dear Mogegnet=Tulu=Mamo:
You can play the game of undermining and pretending to have a good command of English while we all know that you have acquired this education when the rest of Ethiopia were forced to live in misery and did not allow to go school.
The key of the issue is that you will never rule Ethiopia as long as you want to repeat the history of Rwanda although you have tried and did not work and claimed the dieth of 36 innocent and poor people.

Dear Ibrahim,
Are you in or out? I can't detemine your stand.In your contribution above you wrote as a real Ethiopian for justice of the oppressed and downtrodden.Thank you for that.However,in the same article,you wrote "you will never rule Ethiopia." Doesn't that stand bother you because in this day and era civilized people are governed by the will of the people as long as minority rights respected? If you accept that any political party voted in by the people should form a government.What is wrong with that,my friend?

Ibrulekuskus,

Why are you attacking Tulu?

MAmo Qilo

Mamo:
You are very busy day in and out to mislead Ethiopian and you only trained to work within a society that will not express freely its opinion and uphold dialogue. Do not you get tired to see that you are doing the same mistake again and again? Having had many screen names and thinking that you can mislead other Ethiopian will not help you to secure power and the resource of Ethiopian people let alone assist to cross a duck a14 street.
To come back to the serious point, CUD's stance on the article 39 should be public; otherwise, Somali Ethiopian will not have a dialogue except a few misguided people such as Harar.

Ibrahim,
I support that no ethnic group should live under different countries. I had that position for a long time.Based on that Somalis should be allowed to join Somalia, Gambela with southern Sudan and Eritrean Afars with Ethiopia.

Dear ibrahim and all:

Please read election manifestos about a party's political agenda, rather than asking us on this discussion forum. I hope you will find all you want over the election manifesto.

If your intention is about analysing the manifesto, well, you can still approach the party and, I believe they will be willing to explain every article for you. I think that is the way to find a genuine answer about your question.

Dear Amdae

I know Ethiopia want Afar but did you ask Afar want Ethiopia? To join or not to Join is should be left to both party if one party not want unity for any reason the unity should not take place... In this case both the Afar and Ethiopia should vote for unity... Just becasuse Ethiopia want they unity should not take place... this logic apply to any of the country in Africa or in Western GB did not join EU... EU didn't force GB to join EU saying unity is good for them and for GB...

Tulu,
What makes you think the Afars do not want to join Ethiopia? Is it not to their benefit also if they join Ethiopia? Weren't they the ones that EPLF and TPLF elegantly for a long time to remain part of Ethiopia? It just shows how sinister you are by nature,always questioning well-meant ideas and making devils out of innocent Ethiopians.
I know your motive but that is not the way to go about it.

Amdae,
Tulu never makes sense.

Dear Amdae,

I know for sure the Afar doesn't want Ethiopia. If that was the case Djibouti Afar would have joined Ethipia long time ago.

No one in right mind want to join the old Ethiopia. Yes the new Ethiopia under Meles may be the whole Easter region may want to join... Ethiopa under CUD forget it no one want to join. let alone joining even the oromo want their seperate way...

Mark may word under CUD WE WILL HAVE MANY MORE WAR with Sudan, Egypt, the whole Arab, Djibouti, Eritrea, Oromo, Somilia, Tigria, and even Kenya too... that is the reason no one want to join Ethiopia under CUD.

The reason is simple one ethiopia by force, one lanugage by force, one nation by force and one religon by force is the moto of CUD now ask yourself would you want to join CUD if you are not Amhara.

Tulu,
I am certain CUD is not an exclusive party to Amharas .It is an open party to every Ethiopian.People from all nationalities subscribe to it and that is why they won seats all over the country,albeit many seats were stolen from them.I would like to remind you that Dr Birhanu Nega is a Guraghe and Dr araya is a Tigrayan,just to mention a few.
There was injustice in the land holding system in Haile Selassie's time and I am proud I was a part of the struggle at that time.I categorically say that was the only problem at that time.
As for cultural domination,to my knowledge,it was not an issue.It was never raised as an issue in the university and hence it was out of question.The norm at that time, with regards to culture, was to fit in the culture of the area you live in.In short,nobody was aware of culture at that time.
In answer to your question "Would I live under CUD rule if I were not an Amhara?" My answer is most definitely because the leadership is composed of all ethnic groups.That is how people should be represented,not be ruled by an ethnicist group calling all the shots in a country of 80 ethnic groups.Remember you can be a member of CUD but not TPLF.
In the 100 years the Amharas were dominant they did not rob any region and develop the Amharas homeland.To the contrary,Tigrayans did a lot for their region.For example,they built two textile factories,cement factory,state of the art pharmaceutical factory,university,international airport,their own bank,etc.Who robbed who?
Even the nefttegnas settled and toiled the land like the local people.If they were colonialists,as you would like to call them,they would have had large estates with big mansions as white colonialists have done.
The Amhara people,excepting some greedy ones, lived by the word of God and did not commit the crimes that are attributed to them by ungodly people with different motives to achieve their objectives.

City: York

Tulu,

Why should we ask afars to join us depart us? These are people who came long time ago in search of water for their camels. if they want to go, they can pack and go. Infact they are efficient at it.We the cultured people are good at hospitality, but, but if people with zelan culture want to abuse our hosptiality, Emeyen beyalew merem almerew!