Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clarke Blasts Bereket for Making Story UP

Ambasador Clarke lambasted Bereket Simon in an official letter with a letter head and all, for misquoting him and misleading the public. It is a very strong language with a copy to Meles, Hailu, Merara and the US Ambassador in Ethiopia.

It is a shame that shuch a strong letter is sent to Him with a copy to a head of state. It is an insult for a Prime Minister to be copied in such a personal attack to one of his designated liers. This is an official letter. It is no hoax.

Ankasa Doro aka
Yejib Tila aka
The Mamo Qilo

Re: Clarke Blasts Bereket for Making Story UP

Moderator Can you Please Post this letter.

Ankasa Doro

Selam Mamo

I think you got this one wrong: Mr. Clarke was begging for understanding to salvage his credibility. Supposedly, he was the non-partisan intermediary to a joint agreement, which later became irrelevant by government media. As his letter indicated, the agreement was rendered toothless with in one hour after the joint agreement was signed. For a career diplomat, this was a slap, perhaps a big one. I think the PM got him on the "hook" on this one.

My guess is that he was simply frightened to address the letter to the PM, who was actually the real participant of the joint declaration. If I have to speculate, I think Mr. Clarke may have already burnt his bridge with the PM; hence, trying to prevent another salvo while trying to salvage his standing with the opposition camp.

Just an observation: there is undercurrent on this forum that ignores the sophistication of the PM when political questions are debated.

Why do you think Mamo?

With love!

As we have seen it in the letter, it seems that Mr Clarke is coming to his senses. This is not because he heard the agonies of Ethiopians but because he himself has observed how EPRDF is capable of distorting his message let alone the members of opposition parties.

Disaster for Bereket and Meles above all!!

"Ewenetena negat eyader yegeletal". So we should not lose hope. If we stand united and supporting each other we will achieve what we wanted - end to Meles' regime.

Email: tarike@yahoo.com

City: Addis Ababa

T.Clark? Who is he? Is he an election observer or a diplomat? Where is A. Gomez who is a woman and has natural understandings with all women in Ethiopia and she would stand for them when their voice is stolen by a tyranny regime? Where is A. Gomez who is the true reflection of the majority of the European people and she has no race sickness games against black people as some rightwing politicians are? Who is T.Clark for real when he fired A. Gomez and took her post illegally to act as a diplomat and an election observer the same time to cheat the Ethiopian people on day light pressurising the oppositions to accept the legal vote with illegal results? Is he one of those few in our time acting towards Africa as his predecessors did for the past 500 years? What is wrong when the Ethiopian people overwhelmingly gave their vote to the oppositions who are very educated (most of them in the west), who have clear and clean vision to the future of Ethiopia, who are from all ethnic groups, who have no any crime record against individuals or the nation, who are willing to work to the right direction to eradicate poverty and other underdevelopment related weaknesses, who have love to the country and people and became ready to live not their life but the life of the majority? Any healthy human being will be happy and support the outcome when the long-suffering Ethiopians because of leadership failure became able to take their matter on hands to get out of their troubles. But people like T.Clark seams have big problem with people's choice that going be the grass root and trend in Africa giving the leadership position to those who are capable to bring positive change in the country and the continent as a whole.
I can just assume from the past experience EU representatives and business people have done and still is doing. But T. Clark knows what is in his mind when a tyranny who is leading Ethiopia with hunger for the last 14 years, who took power by force, who has very bad policies, who has a world record holder with crime against humanity and, who has yet more devastating plans against the nation for the next 5 years. Is T. Clark has a wife, children or relatives who are part of the world innocent people? If he has, why? why? why? in Gods name and the name of people he related or love, he is pressurising the oppositions to ignore the Ethiopian poor but innocent, weak in mind but strong in hart, look like dirty from outside but clean and clear from inside, look like have nothing from outside but have everything from inside, God loving and optimistic people in order the little, half grown, evil (meles) who have many crimes record on him, who is leading the country towards total darkness and a man with no human soul at all to become the leader of the over 70 million Ethiopian.
People, as long as the people’s vote is not respected, we have to continue with our struggle as far as to AU, UN and most importantly in front of the people everywhere. The majority in EU countries are thinking the same way our people are. We have to approach those international and true journalists, left wing politicians, human right organizations, religion organizations, only some aid organizations while most of them are working with governments instead of with the people as we witnessed the past 14 years in our country and still is going on. They gave the so called aid to a tyranny that was a gorilla and committed crimes against the Ethiopian people on the way to reach Addis Ababa. The one who is hiding in the country palace for 14 years, having contact with the people only through radio or TV while is giving his warning and intimidation instead of hope and leadership vision. The relationship between aid agencies and the TPLF cadres will be the topic of the time for the next coming weeks, months and years. Those who can write have to write about this story to tell the Ethiopian people and the world, how western leaders and business people affecting the people supporting dictators and tyrannies in the name of aid as they are doing with Meles in Ethiopia. According to credible news, some 15 members of the Meles regime have the total amount of almost 300 million dollar in US, EU, Canada and Malaysia banks. Out of it, meles has 41 million dollar. According to other sources, the already discovered stolen money by meles reached 141 million dollar. There is more out there yet to be discovered. His cadres such as Arkebe, Sbhat, Benelux ambasador, Abaye, Bereket and the rest have similar amount of money. For example Arkebe have more than 10 big companies in his name in Tigray and Addis Ababa. The point is all these property came through Aid agencies in the name of the Ethiopian people and wrong international business agreements. The meles regime made many agreements with companies to buy wrong and good products in the name of the Ethiopian people. The Ethiopian people have to pay unfair high prices for right products or fair price for wrong products. There are many examples to these. The Ethiopian people know about it. Take the situation around fertilizer, which is a very important issue to the country while 85% the population depends on it. First most fertilizers were not the exact ones to our soil, temperature and way of cultivation and harvest. Second the price was reached up to 300 birr per quintal, which is half of the money equals to the farmer, can buy or sell an ox. Who is profiting here? The fertilizer companies and meles who is selling his people to profit hungry foreigners. This is the reason why Yara foundation from Norway, which is financing by a big fertilizer company blatantly and publicly declared to the world to award a criminal regime for his contribution to their business lucrative profit. We know, meles knows, they also know, they gave him secretly millions of dollars in the past. Finally they jumped so high disrespecting the 72 million Ethiopian people under their feet and decided to award a Tyranny in front of the world in order the Tyranny regime in our country and elsewhere especially in Africa continue and the same time inviting these tyrannies to buy fertilizers from them with the deal they did and still are doing with Meles.
People we have few but fierce enemies. But don’t forget, we have the majority of the people in the EU and elsewhere. As long as he is not taking the people side, don't give any respect or time the EU representative in Addis, T.Clark. If he is choosing the people side, his legacy would be part of the Ethiopian history while this time is the worst time in our history. People, tell him the truth. The Truth is he will never impose a tyranny illegally on the Ethiopian people anymore. If he decides to do by force, we have the right and ability to defend and bring him to justice in international courts. He has to understand that his decision going to affect the 72 million Ethiopian people. What he is doing with Bereket is not interesting to us. May be it could a conflict based on personal interests rather than about the Ethiopian people. If he has interest about Ethiopia he has to contact the oppositions. No matter what he or EU are thinking or doing, the oppositions are the legitimate leaders of Ethiopia since 15 may 2005. What he is doing with the Ethiopian people is our strong matter. Not with Meles or Bereket under the shadow of the Ethiopian people. I’m very curious about the EU stand to the current Ethiopian Election. Is T. Clark doing according to EU policy in our country or according to his personal interest? I hope his is acting according to his personal interest. If not, our country is in deep crises while the 72 million Ethiopian people are already determined as far as life sacrifices for the truth and the handful tyranny cadres and soulless, savage, deaf and blind militia mainly from Tigray province are more than ready to die for power. We all know if EU take the Ethiopian people choice, there will no death or injury even a single Ethiopian from gun shoot. For anything going to happen in our country concerning the election, EU will be accountable for. History will judge them. At last the Ethiopian people will win. Their bad policy towards not only Ethiopia but also Africa will face fierce oppositions from the public. That times the slogan going to be EU out of Africa. Well come China, India, South East Asia, Far East and US, as the nation is created based on immigrants all over the world including from Africa. The African origin in US will never watch from distance anymore when the Africans treated badly.

God bless Ethiopia and Africa. God bless the international people everywhere.

Email: Ghion@hotmail.com

Yilma,

No, I did not get it wrong. This was a big slap on the face to Meles. This poor guy lost his standing at international level. Onle a few months ago, he was rubbing shoulders with the likes of Tony Blair. Today he is being dressed down in a public letter by a lowly Ambassador.

This is unpresedented in international diplomacy. The letter suggests that EU has not made up its mind and negotiation is underway to resolve this issue. Let us take our blessing when they come our way. We cannot always be critical. This was really an Insult to the Prime Minister to be copied in a public letter where his Minister is assulted and he himself is silently implicated as the source of misinformation. The Ambassador is calling them liers in public, literally.

And Your Question: "There is undercurrent on this forum that ignores the sophistication of the PM when political questions are debated. Why do you think Mamo?" It is not Meles who is smart or sophisticated. It is the opposition that has allowed him to shine. Theopposition is soemtime so stupid, anyone by comparison looks good. You remember how Clinton beat Gingritch? He stole all his agenda, flip it around and made it his won. If I were the opposition I would have stolen Article 39, flip it around, make it look like even more practical than Meles and render him lifeless. If I was handling the opposition I would have rendered Meles lifeless in a NY second. Trust me on this.

The Mamo Qilo aka
etc

Dear Mamo

you are realy man. Thank U

Email: agegnehub@yahoo.com

City: A.A

Selam Mamo,

Point well made though I still disagree with your conclusion. In fact, in my humble opinion, the PM has outsmarted the opposition at every corner, so much so that CUD is now holding town whole meetings presumably looking for providence.

The fact was that CUD scored stunning victory by any measurement, and even to the surprise of the PM himself, and two months later it is gasping for its life. The PM used brute force on the streets and tough diplomacy inside the power corridors. UEDF is reduced to an almost bystander status, while CUD is reconsidering its strategy. I think that is why Mr. Clarke who in the early post election days suggested CUD majority is now clueless what to expect.

Still my take is that Mr. Clarke had to write that letter, and he did it in a way a junior partner within EPRDF would be the fall guy.

With Love.

PS. My information is that Ato Bereket attended the said meeting.

Selam Yilma,

You wrote: "In fact, in my humble opinion, the PM has outsmarted the opposition at every corner, so much so that CUD is now holding town whole meetings presumably looking for providence."

Yilma, you totally lost me here. I do not agree with you that Meles has outsmarted the opposition at every corner. CUD and UEDF are very shrewed political entities. They have rendered Meles close to lifeless in a matter of 8 months. Did you think this happened by accident or by design? They have helped to deconstruct Meles's international image. They have reduced Meles to a confused and combative dictator. Before the emergenceof UEDF and CUD meles set the agenda and put everyone on the defensive. Have you seen his interview? He looked beaten, combative and defensibe. Did you see his face. He looked anxious to end it. He looked relieve when the interviewer told him it was over. This is the guy who used to love to talk. Please do not tell us Meles is in control of the agend. Yes, the opposition has not capitalized on this weakness and has failed to take advantage of the international king makers. But this is not to say Meles is beating them.

Your statement that "CUD is now holding town whole meetings presumably looking for providence." is comical. That is strength and not waekness. They need to consult their constituencies. They need to bring them together because the news media is monopolized by force. I did not get your point.

You wrote: "UEDF is reduced to an almost bystander status, while CUD is reconsidering its strategy." This is a gross misreading of the reality at best, or pure fabrication at worst. First of all UEDF is an equal partner with CUD. In all decision making juncture UEDF is there making substantial contribution. For your info it is the coalition of UEDF and CUD that has created a headache to Meles. There would be nothing Meles would not do to get UEDF in his column. Who told you CUD is REconsidering its strategy. Reconsidering suggests it is contemplating to change its strategy. That is misinformation. Where did you get that?

You said, you information is that Bereket attended the meeting with Meles and Clarke and CUD/UEDF. My information is he did not. The bigger point, however, is that Clarke's letter was a slap inthe fact to Meles.

The Mamo Qilo aka
Ankasa Doro aka
Yejib Tila

Selam Mamo

You expressed your point of view with amazing clarity while keeping it short and clear-cut. I dont promise the same, though I will try.

Let me first rewind backward for just a moment, “NY minute” that is, and outline the genesis for my commentary.

1. I tip my hut to CUD and its leaders for staying on course for a peaceful struggle despite their detractors’ skepticism. I am for a peaceful struggle notwithstanding the limits and constraints. Though I would not call my self as one of their aficionado, I support the methods of struggle they employed over the years. Their achievement is stunning in light of the fact that they did it in less than 8 months of campaigning and organizational work. It is a lesson others should learn, including UEDF and EPRDF.

2. Since the 15 of May, the only issue that remained unresolved is the fair accounting of votes. In that regard, nothing has been done to even remotely satisfy CUD and its membership.

3. In spite of early reservations and doubts of potential “vote rigging” by the government forces, EU and US are now MIAs. Go figure!

That said as a backdrop, I don’t see any need for town whole meetings at this time. The only one issue that needs to be front and center is accurate and transparent count of votes. If the vote count process is satisfactory, they say as such, accept the result and move on to the next chapter. From democratic perspective, town whole meetings are noble things to do. Forgive my skepticism, but I smell disarray.

In my previous posting, I said, "CUD is now holding town whole meetings presumably looking for providence." This statement is not comical rather a reflection of the reality on the ground. Politics is a rough business. My guess is that CUD is under tremendous pressure from the EU and US, which I can understand. Regarding UEDF, I think it is what it is: a bystander. Without CUD, UEDF is irrelevant.

Dear Mamo… I think sometimes the truth stings. In my least-informed opinion, the PM has the diplomatic upper hand at this moment. Indeed, he may be wounded but he checkmated his opponents. I think it is time to look five years into the future.

With Love!

Dear Mamo:
I am sorry to tell you that you are reading between the two lines. How on earth you missed the bombardement of CUD foot soldeirs on the Ambassador, Clark and singled out a fabricrated letter made a la CUD propaganda that Simon is lambasted.
Mr. Clark told to South Africa channel afrique and English program of Radio France international that the guiding principle of any election in Africa is through peaceful means and dialogue and process of rule of law. In other words, he implied that the seizure of power through a force and violence is illegitimate and Africa will not accept. For example, he cited Togo coup d'etat and how UN and AU did not endorse and illegitimized the act of military junta. In other words, to attempt to change government other than through constitutional means is illegitimate. Your beloved party, CUD, should follow the rule of law and achieving its verdict through constitutonalism means and not Negede style of violence. Negede thought that he will come to power by massive popular support and overthrow the constitutionally legitimate government in Ethiopia. Although, what has occurred in the case of Georgia was an expression, albeit crude, was popular one and they were not lead by criminal soaked with blood in their hand such as Negede. To come to power by force is a feeble argument that misled and undermiend the organization of CUD and it has to reorganize and change its tactic in the next election. This one is gone and Meles will be ruling.

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

Dear Yilma,

Your analysis would be excellent, except for one minor point that seems to elude you. You start with the assumption that CUD has no choice but to accept the verdict rendered by NEB. The silent position impleied by your line is this should be so regardless of its fairness or lack of transparency of NEB's mode of operation. From here follows your assertion: "I don’t see any need for town whole meetings at this time. The only one issue that needs to be front and center is accurate and transparent count of votes. If the vote count process is satisfactory, they say as such, accept the result and move on to the next chapter. From democratic perspective, town whole meetings are noble things to do. Forgive my skepticism, but I smell disarray."

Your analysis falters if (a) NEB's decisions are clearly and grossly flawed, and (b) if CUD's intention is to challenge NEB and refuse to accept its verdict. If the town whole meeting results into accepting the verdict, your assertion will be right, without validating your analysis. Their acceptance could be the very result of the meeting. Town whole meetings are a way of gathering your constituencies and reaching consensus.

One more serious analytical mistake you seem to have made is the relative position of UEDF. You wrote: "Without CUD, UEDF is irrelevant." I think this is a typo. You meant to say with out UEDF, CUD is irrelevant. This is so for two reasons. First, if UEDF chooses to join EPRDF, CUD is a permanent minority party with a status of a lame duck. It will be irrelevant for the next five years. Second, the poisin that is dissolving EPRDF from within is UEDF. UEDF's political stand provides an antithesis for EPRDF. EPDRF would know how to deal eith CUD it is UEDF that is complicating life for it. I think your analysis is disconnected form your own assertion.

Finaly I must say I am prepared to accept the decision CUD and UEDF are making, either way. I hope and remain confident that they would not comromise the vote of the people.

The Mamo Qilo

Just one point since I followed the dicussion closely. Out of 299 contested seats EPDRF claimed victory on are located in some Amhara and most Southern and Oromo regions which could show unless you do not want to admit that UEDF supporting regions has been robbed more votes than CUD.

Good morning Mamo, VJ, and Ibrahim

Mamo said “I hope and remain confident that they would not compromise the vote of the people.” I too hope that all parties in this election listen to the voices of the people. The nation we love and call ETHIPIA needs all of us to work for a common good. I don’t have a “dog” in this fight. All I care is to see this nation on route to prosperity through democracy and rule of law. This would remain an illusive dream if we don’t build a new democratic political culture. Perhaps the May 15 election is the beginning of a new direction.

Love you all!

The Ibex hotel gathering was intended to seek public opion wheather it is to be in or out. According to the consesus the majorty favored to challenge Meles in the parlament. Meaning allowing Meles to form EPRDF government.The Coming days, regional representatives will come to Addis and is expected to endores the consesus what has been reached at the Ibex gathering.Forget Ambasador Clarke letter to Berket. It is chewata! after every thing done behind doors.

VJ,

I agreed with you completely when you first suggested some time ago that UEDF is the antithesis of EPRDF. In that lightI am not surprised to see that there was more vote rigging than in the north.

I think UEDF is going to be the party of the future Ethiopia. Any one who thinks that UEDF is irrelevant is misreading the political painting on the wall.

Yilma:

The only problem I have with your argument is that you are willing to allow EPRDF to keep the votes it has rigged. I am also not in agreement with you when you said Meles outsmarted the opposition.

Meles can act and react. Let us make a few points clear. First, in almost all cases, the West sides with incumbants when there is a close call between opposition parties and a sitting government. Second, Meles has been a loyal "yes man" to the US, UK and Eu, so it shold not come as a surprise if they try to side with him. It is a stretch for you to say Meles outsmarted the opposition tw weeks or so ago. Third, the opposition has not compromised on any principled position. I think your call that the opposition should join a new government under EPRDF is premature. Saying so does not make it so.

Ankasa Doro ka
Yejib Tila