Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yara regrets decision to award Meles Zenawi

By Dr. Rakel Ingvar
August 1, 2005

After a series of pressure campaigns and bad publicity following the decision of the Yara Foundation to award “the first African Green Revolution Prize” to Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi, known more for his brutality than his commitment to development, the parent company is considering to revise the award criteria.

A senior executive at one of Norway’s biggest international companies, Yara International ASA, who spoke on condition of anonymity, admitted: “ We regret this has happened. There was a mistake somewhere in the selection process. It is embarrassing the board ended up awarding a despot who has been killing and torturing his own people. That was never the intention of the award.

“I understand there was a successful bid on the part of pro-Zenawi lobbyists, who went at a greater length to influence the selection committee. In the future a thorough examination of records of nominees should be put in place to prevent tyrants, who are obstacles for human development, from being considered for the prize,” he said.

However, he dismissed as unfounded an allegation that linked the African Green Revolution Yara Prize to commercial bribery aimed at luring corrupt African leaders to award multi-million dollar contracts to the company in the lucrative fertilizer business.

It was announced two weeks ago that the Board of the Yara Foundation had chosen to award the first African Green Revolution Yara Prize, to the Prime Minister Meles Zenawi for his contribution to improve food security and human nutrition in ways that also protect the environment.

According to the executive, the decision caused a lot of disquiet among many Norwegians and the Ethiopian Community in Norway who inundated the company with emails, letters and phone calls to express their anger. “It is a really awkward situation that we never anticipated. I personally found it seriously damaging for the reputation of the company. In the future, we should never associate ourselves with any tyrants who have blood on their hands,” he admitted.

A refugee from Ethiopia, Yared Tesfaye, who showed me a letter he wrote to Yara International ASA, said: “It is a great shame that the company decided to award Meles Zenawi, who has been killing, injuring, torturing and jailing thousands of Ethiopians. Millions of Ethiopians are facing starvation and hundreds of thousands of others die of hunger each year.

“I am sure the people who have decided to give him an award have no idea of what a green revolution look like. Are they awarding him for his crimes against humanity?” he asked.

Tesfaye wrote to Yara that the company should make an official apology not only to Ethiopians but also to the whole of Africa for insulting their dignity by awarding one of Africa’s murderous tyrants who condemn their people to endless cycles of suffering and oppression.

A Norwegian human rights campaigner, Erika Birger, suggested the award money, worth $200,000, be given to a charity that is truly committed to improving the fate of Ethiopians. “Norwegians are decent people. We are equally offended and insulted by the ridiculous decision to award an African dictator as a ‘green revolutionary,” she said.

According to Mr. Tesfaye, Ethiopian immigrants in Norway have already formed an anti-Yara prize campaign group to oppose the company’s wrong decision to give this year’s prize to Zenawi. “The award to Meles must be called Yara’s Green Revulsion Award,” he said.

Re: Yara regrets decision to award Meles Zenawi

Thank lord.

Yara foundation may find it difficult to revoke what it has already announced. But this is their indication to suggest to Meles to withdraw his name and decline his prize. A respected person would do so. I do not count on Meles to do so. If he went for it, I would wonder what the award speech would be. If Meles rejects this, it is a big win to the organizers of the campaign and a humiliation to Meles. It is an awkward situation.
He may send gebremenamen to accept the award. He is one soul who does not know shame.

Mamo Qilo aka
Yejib Tila

Thank GOD!

A concerted effort always brings such a wonderful result! Congratulations to all who have made a relentless effort
to expose the atrocities of the Meles regime and who have camapigned against the decision of the Yara Board. Let's
continue to stand and voice together. Thank God.

United, we can achieve anything. Keep up the good work, I will keep up from my side.

the blood of inocent civiliance has already started to speak. This is realy shame for meles. Meles will face jucetice from the almighty God! great job! continue to expose him by any means possible.

Email: absam20032001@yahoo.com

City: Tromsø

We need to continue the pressure. What is awarded can always be revoked, or as a justure the Yada foundation can offer $10,000 for each families of the recent 39 victims. That is equivalent to what they are giving the tyrant. The pressure should be to force them to withdraw their nomination. We should keep writing to the board members and the CEO of the parent company. We have done effective campain. Let us not stop until the day this award is cancelled or shamefully bestowed on the Tyrant. Now gebremenamen must regret having cut and pasted this story on this forum.

Mamo Qilo

Sometimes when it seems everything is going in the wrong direction and loosing hope there comes wonderful news twice in arrow for the peace loving Ethiopians. The pilots being free and now, I am so proud of my entire fellow Ethiopians for working so hard to stop this undeserved award to be given to Meles. Thanks to all of you and may God Bless all of us and may God give justice to all the families who lost their loved ones on the hands of Woyanes.

It is too good to be true! I can't imagine, how encourgaing, heart warming and enjoyable news it must be for all of us in general and for those who deal with this matter in particular. It is indeed one of the successful stories of the Ethiopian diaspora in years! Congratulations!

Email: akaluma@yahoo.com

City: Pristina

it looks meles is losing. i hope they give that money
to charity instade.

Email: solomon@yahoo.com

We should never stop flooding Yara with Emails, Faxes etc. The Meles lobbists never sleep. We've pushed him to the edge, but need to put more pressure than before.

Selam

Email: bdemissachew@juno.com

City: boston

Ethiopians in Norway should keep the pressure on Yara. What about organizing a one-day demo infront of Yara's headquarters in the presence of the media? It will cause a great difference.

Bravo my friends in Norway,

This is a major victory for us and a loss for Meles and Tara. Keep it up the good work.

Nestanet

City: Atlanta

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED TO DO.
FIGHT FIGHT AND FIGHT.

WE HAVE TO PRESSURE GOVERMENTS AND ORGANIZTIONS TO STOP
SUPPORTING THESE SHAMELESS ...SO CALLED LEADERS.

ETHIOPIANS WORKING TOGETHER.
THE RESULT IS ALWAYS GREAT.

NEVER STOP DEFENDING OURSELVES AND OUR PEOPLE.
WE SHALL WIN.

Email: chombe@hotmail.com

City: alexandria

THIS IS HOPE IN THIN AIR.

DEAR FORUM PARTICIPANTS!

I AM HUNDRED PLUS PERCENT DO BELIEVE THE STORY HERE GIVEN IS WELL FABRICATED BY SOMEONE WHO FELT VERY JEALOUS ABOUT HIS HIGHNESS PRIME MINSTER'S PERFORNANCE. THE ONE THING THAT BOTHERS ME IS WHEN, I SEE YOU FORUM PARTICIPANTS APPOINTED YOURSELF TO ECHO TO BASELESS LIE AND HOPE.

GO AND SEE THE YARA WEB-SITE FOR YOURSELF

HTTP://WWW.YARA.COM

Gebremenamen,

I checked the website. It read Yada's market share is increasing. Cannot you find a better site to direct us to? This is what is bad with cutting and pasting without reading and understanding.

Mamo Qilo aka
Yejib Tila

It is a tremendous effort by Ethiopians both in Norway and other parts of the world to come this far. The fascist dictator, Zenawi must be exposed to the world and the campaign for fairness and justice to the Ethiopian people must continue.

Mamomian!

Did you see anything about "REGRET"? NO!

IF YARA REGRETS, PM'S PICTURE COULD HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE SITE.

Gebremenamen,

It is 3:00am go to sleep. You have been at this since yesterday morning. You have posted every hour since then. I just came to drink water and saw your posting. I am going back to sleep. Go back to sleep. "It is Good that Your Higness, Saint, International Hero, Brave fighter of TPLF, Leading Expert in Law and World Reknowned Economist, International Health Scientist and creator of vacin for Aids epedimic, PM Melels is rewarded the Yada award". Now can you go to sleep.

Mamo Qilo

Whether the so called weyane's supporter like it or not, Meles will not get the award. ETV was fast enough to air Meles's nomination for the award. Will ETV be now dare enough to air this withdrawal (regret by Yara)? ...kikikikikiki....

Personally I am very much happy that Yara regrets decision to award Meles. The money should goes to the charity. We (Ethiopians) love the charities better than the senseless & inhumane Meles. I am now happy and praise the Lord for that.

It's really time for Meles and his supporters to bend their neck in shame and the other Ethiopians to lean backward and laugh in proud.... hahahahahahah.....

Email: endrias2005@hotmail.com

City: Addis Ababa

ENDRIAS HAILU

GO AND CHECK YOUR E-MAIL.

I was very much delighted to hear Yara regretted and revised its decision to award the MONSTER Meles Zenawi. I visited the site HTTP://WWW.YARA.COM. I saw nothing about "regret" or "withdrawal". Can anyone here tell me more about it?

Email: astuka@yahoo.com

City: Addis

Please ask Yara foundation how many people should a leader kill to get this award. Shame! Shame! Yara for even thinking aboutit. History will judge you for awarding this shameless child killer. This is like awarding Apartheid for Soweto massacre.

Shame! Shame!

Email: biniwts@yahoo.co.uk

City: AA

Aster, Unfortunately once a decision has been made they cannot revoke the award. They are legally obliged to hand over the prize whatever the opposition. Had there be no official announcement thry could have pulled back the award. However, we should continue the pressure on the company to make an official statement on this matter.

First and for most I deeply congratulate the weak and poor Ethiopian people that there are millions of Ethiopians in the country and around the world who are very determined, brave and competent working day and night to protect their citizens right. Ethiopians in Norwegian deserve appreciation for their remarkable work to this matter. I hope Ethiopians in the US will follow their brothers’ and sisters’ footstep in Norwegian to persuade the US govt, Senate, congress and mainly the people to award the people's vote back that is stolen by NEB and TPLF joint conspiracy.
Regarding the yara foundation shows us that if we are unite and work with our heart and soul together, there is nothing we couldn't achieve. In my understanding a half grown human look like creature, evil meles, is still as the winner to this foundation prize. If it is, as I understood, that means so far we have successfully finalized only the test but not the final examine. The final examine has to be that this evil who have lots of crimes on him will never take this award in the name of the Ethiopian people at the moment he has stolen their vote, terrorises, harasses, imprisons and kills them. The yara foundation has regretted about their decision for rewarding this evil man is a good sign but not enough. They have to reverse their decision with apology to the innocent and believer Ethiopian people who are feeling hostage in own country and home by the TPLF criminal members and their without human soul militia come only from one small Ethnic group to commit interhmwee against the rest.
Brothers and sisters, we have to continue working closely with the Norwegian human right org, Sir Bob Geldof( it is his big test to his stand towards Ethiopia), with Oxfam head quarter in London and its branches around the world, with USAID and other human right and aid organization to inform the truth about Ethiopia. I’m not sure about US but the EU is trying to restore their criminal agent for the last 14 years (meles) cheating the 73 Ethiopian people in daylight. This shows how they didn’t care about us and they disrespect the Ethiopian people. Not the people in the EU but politicians and diplomats such as T.Clark must understand that the Ethiopian people ancestors are the oldest ancestors to humanity. Don’t portray Ethiopia about what is going on for the last 20 or 30 years. If you want to know the truth about Ethiopia go back thousands years and then if you don’t understand ask the Ethiopian about their history rather than writing your garbage about us. You know the reason why Ethiopia is as she is right now. It is only because of the leadership failure. When you are talking about us you are saying that we have no rain. Is Ethiopia has no rain? Ask your---T. Clark. Your genetic modification maize, your trashes such as useless cloth, equipment, dangerous medicine or the like will never identify the true character of the Ethiopian people. The dignity of the Ethiopian people is not translated by human made goods, but it is totally related to nature and God. Your over consumption will never impose the inferiority feeling on the Ethiopian people. The Ethiopian people respect everyone equally as a human being not as most of you are doing with the amount of property or money. Go to Ethiopian churches and observe how they are for real. They love God as deep as they totally commit their life if God asks them. EU ----T. Clark activities towards Ethiopia at this time which are against the wish and interest of the poor and weak rural Ethiopian people is not acceptable either by the people or by God they deeply believe on. So, with God’s help, the Ethiopia people will fight the fight to protect the people’s choice.
The vast majority of the EU people are very generous, honest and hard working. But many of them know very little about the truth of African reality. They also know almost nothing about the current situation in Ethiopia. They believe completely their representatives. Many of their journalists also give them wrong and false ideas if it comes about Africa. It the time which the Ethiopian people and Africa as a whole have to approach directly the ordinary European citizens to tell them the truth about their representatives’ bad decisions in Africa as they are intending to do right now in Ethiopia. They know the regime has completely lost the election in all cities and towns on the country. They also know the regime did get only some gain in rural areas because of there were not observers, the ruling cadres, officials and the militia were intimidating the voters. They also know that The NEBE is hand picked puppet to little meles. Yet they want to impose a totally rejected regime on the Ethiopian people. This is the western democracy when it comes to Africa. Africa must stay poor and the trouble zone to give them an emotional and economical boost. But when they are busy working hard to benefit from Africa with proxy appointing criminals in Africa to work for them, China is approaching Africa with win- win agreement. If the EU is not changing its unfair approach towards Africa, the next few years, China, India, south east and far east nations will get the total access to the African market. As US is the nation of Immigrants, and every one has equal right to live and work, US relationship in Africa going to be better no matter what is US right now doing in Black Africa politics.
There are good media workers, human right org, and different kinds of org in Europe and we have to work with them closely. We have to make clear our stand towards Aid organizations such as Oxfam international concerning our country. If they have right about the reason way their organization is created, they have to reassess their work in our country rather than becoming another instrument between governments and companies to worsen the situation among the population. Despite they knew for the last 14 years that the current govt came in power by force, its polices were very devastating and the hunger situation in Ethiopia worsening year after year, they were giving assistance directly to the unelected govt. They also know the situation around the 15 may election, yet they are giving the so called aid to the proxy leader to them in the name of the Ethiopian people. If they have really right about their organization, they would fight in order the people’s vote to be respected. But I think they prefer Ethiopia or Africa continue having bad leaders in order they could have job in the name of hungry, weak, sick and dead people.

You can approach Oxfam international: www.oxfam.org/eng/oxfam_sites.htm

Oxfam Affiliates:
Australia, Belgium, Canada, Germany, Great Britain (head office), Hong Kong, Ireland, Netherlands, New Zeeland, Quebec, Spain, United States

Oxfam Observer Members:
France, Mexico

Email: Ghion@hotmail.com

Gojjame

You put it correctly, but let's please be focused. Our history, bravery and spirituality has nothing to do with what we are looking for right now. Come back to the main point: Yara should reverse its dicision to give an award to PM Zenawi and apologize the Ethiopian people, period.

Selam

Email: bdemissachew@juno.com

City: boston

I want to point out two points very briefly. (1) The first point being that the Ethiopian group in Norway is conducting an effective campaign against the dictator and that we should try to score a similar success where ever we live.

2) I also suggest that the Norweggian bureaucrat from Yara International ASA should escape unchallenged.If he had realized that he had made a mistake what is wrong with correcting it. You should be made to know that he has to go beyond apology and choose between Melese's regime (dictatorial rule) and the people of Ethiopia who would like to end that dictatorship. By giving award to Melese his agency is erring on the side of dictatorship.

City: Paris

Dear Haben,
It is not actually a bluff. It is one of the remarkable achievements of the Ethiopian diaspora. And remember that only very few members of TPLF were actually participated in the armed struggle. Many who seat now at ministerial posts were in diaspora raising both funds and the cause of their struggle. The most difficult job is getting the support of others. Didn't you read Karter's trip report, where he described how often he met with Meles in Europe? Arafat and others were outside the middleast raising the cause of Palestine. I never heard of such incredible achievements of Ethiopians living in diaspora. By the way do you know that it is here in diaspora all political movements have been started? It is by the resources of citizens living abroad the economy of many developing nations is based on. If we realy want to see real changes we have to encourage each other and at least aplaud for wonderful achievements.

Email: akaluma@yahoo.com

City: Pristina

I want to extend my appreciation to all Ethiopians who had mounting pressure to awarding body. Our unity and well orchastrated effort can make a diffrence, let this be one of the shining examples for our future and present endavours in the same lines.

Email: hassabu_1@yahoo.co.uk

We should still bear in mind that their official position is still awarding the tyrant. The news shows division among Yara executives. I am sure there are some others who would like to dance with Meles during the awarding cermony. We should keep on putting pressure on Yara until it issues an official apology.

Ethiomedia fabricated the story about Yara regretting its decision on Meles's Award

By NEWETHIOPIA

Someone sent this to me anonymously and seems very credible.

****************************************************************************************************

hey buddy, the following email shows the story that says "Yara regrets decision to award Meles Zenawi" is fabricated by someone who calls himself "Dr. Rakel Ingvar" from Arizona. Look at the folowing email and see Dr. Rakel's ip address.

=========================

X-Apparently-To: ; Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:11:35 -0700
X-Originating-IP: [208.50.6.13]
Return-Path:
Authentication-Results: mta108.biz.mail.re2.yahoo.com from=inbox.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 208.50.6.13 (HELO WM13.inbox.com) (208.50.6.13) by mta108.biz.mail.re2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:11:35 -0700
Received: from inbox.com (127.0.0.1:25) by inbox.com with [inbox.com smtp server] id <508010050222.WM13> for <> from ; Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:10:59 AM -0800
Mime-Version: 1.0
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:10:58 -0800
Message-ID: <498720DC75A.000004FDrakel.invar@inbox.com>
Subject: story correction
To: "E M"
In-Reply-To:

Dear Editor, Thank for posting the story. Please accept my apologies for some spelling mistakes which appeared. Can please you correct with the following?
Regards
Rakel Ingvar

Yara regrets decision to award Meles Zenawi
By Dr. Rakel Ingvar

After a series of pressure campaigns and bad publicity following the decision of the Yara Foundation to award “the first African Green Revolution Prize” to Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi, known more for his brutality than his commitment to development, the parent company is considering to revise the award criteria.

A senior executive at one of Norway’s biggest international companies, Yara International ASA, who spoke on condition of anonymity, admitted: “ We regret this has happened. There was a mistake somewhere in the selection process. It is embarrassing the board ended up awarding a despot who has been killing and torturing his own people. That was never the intention of the award.

“I understand there was a successful bid on the part of pro-Zenawi lobbyists, who went at a greater length to influence the selection committee. In the future a thorough examination of records of nominees should be put in place to prevent tyrants, who are obstacles for human development, from being considered for the prize,” he said.

However, he dismissed as unfounded an allegation that linked the African Green Revolution Yara Prize to commercial bribery aimed at luring corrupt African leaders to award multi-million dollar contracts to the company in the lucrative fertilizer business.

It was announced two weeks ago that the Board of the Yara Foundation had chosen to award the first African Green Revolution Yara Prize, to the Prime Minister Meles Zenawi for his contribution to improve food security and human nutrition in ways that also protect the environment.

According to the executive, the decision caused a lot of disquiet among many Norwegians and the Ethiopian Community in Norway who inundated the company with emails, letters and phone calls to express their anger. “It is a really awkward situation that we never anticipated. I personally found it seriously damaging for the reputation of the company. In the future, we should never associate ourselves with any tyrants who have blood on their hands,” he admitted.

A refugee from Ethiopia, Yared Tesfaye, who showed me a letter he wrote to Yara International ASA, said: “It is a great shame that the company decided to award Meles Zenawi, who has been killing, injuring, torturing and jailing thousands of Ethiopians. Millions of Ethiopians are facing starvation and hundreds of thousands of others die of hunger each year.

“I am sure the people who have decided to give him an award have no idea of what a green revolution look like. Are they awarding him for his crimes against humanity?” he asked.

Tesfaye wrote to Yara that the company should make an official apology not only to Ethiopians but also to the whole of Africa for insulting their dignity by awarding one of Africa’s murderous tyrants who condemn their people to endless cycles of suffering and oppression.

A Norwegian human rights campaigner, Erika Birger, suggested the award money, worth $200,000, be given to a charity that is truly committed to improving the fate of Ethiopians. “Norwegians are decent people. We are equally offended and insulted by the ridiculous decision to award an African dictator as a ‘green revolutionary,” she said.

According to Mr. Tesfaye, Ethiopian immigrants in Norway have already formed an anti-Yara prize campaign group to oppose the company’s wrong decision to give this year’s prize to Zenawi. “The award to Meles must be called Yara’s Green Revulsion Award,” he said.

YARA DID TO DICTATOR PM MELSE ZENAWI WAS VERY SHAME FULL. THEY ARE PLAYING BIG GAME. THAT MONEY CAME FORM OUR POOR FARMERS. BUT I'M PROUD OF ETHIOPIAN PEOPLE, THEY FIGHT FOR THEIR RIGHT, ETHIOPIAN PEOPLE LIVING IN NORWAY AND ALL OVER THE WORLD THAK YOU FOR YOU STAND FOR TIRELESSLY, THAT MONEY MUST GO FOR CHARITY TO HELP ETHIOPIAN NOT FOR KELLER NAZIE GROUP,,,,

Email: ALM@ YAHOO.COM

City: SAN JOSE, CA

Check this site:

http://www.sudantribune.com/article.php3?id_article=10909

The author is Norweigian human right activist.

Melaku, I think this Weyane agents are fooling you. It is Inbox which is in Arizona not Dr. Rakel who could be anywhere in the world. Basically, there is no need of fabricating such a story as it isn't based on Yara's official position.

Re: Re: Yara regrets decision to award Meles Zenawi

DEAR KEWLE :
DO YOU READ HISTORY ,YOU MAY NOT NEED TO BE A HISTORIAN BUT YOU NEED TO READ IT SO THAT YOU COULD BE MODERATE AND UNDERSTANDING.
I UNDERSTAND THAT THE ETHIOPIAN DIASPORA HAVE SOMETHING TO CONTRIBUT BUT NOT THE PIVOTAL!!! NEVER FORGET THAT ETHIOPIAN STUDENTS CAME FROM EUROPE AND THE US TO FIGHT IN ASSIMBA TIGRAY FOR THE CAUSE OF THE ETHIOPIAN PEASANTS WITH EPRP.AND OFFCOURSE THE ANDM CAME FROM THE WOMB OF THE EPRP TO JOIN THE TPLF AND PROGRESSED WITH THE PEASNTS OF WOLLO ,GONDER AND SHOWA AND LATER WITH GOJAM AND NOW MANY MORE. I BELIEVE THE MAJORITY OF AMHARAS ARE MODERATE WHO DO WANT TO LIVE PEACEFULLY BUT SOME RADICALS.
THE DIASPORA WHEREVER THEY COME FROM DON'T HAVE ENOUGH INFO AND THINK THE PAST. IF THEY REALLY WANT TO CHANGE THEY HAVE TO COME AND CHECK WHETHER THERE IS A CHANGE OR NOT. THEY DON'T HAV TO WHINE THE FEW NEGEDES DO. NEGEDE AND HIS ACCOMPLICES ARE CRYING BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT THEY ARE A ONE TIME SINNERS
PLEASE KEWLE READ WORLD HISTORY AND ETHIOPIAN HISTORY IN PARTICULAR.