Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
US to deport torture suspect to Ethiopia

US to deport torture suspect to Ethiopia
Sunday 31 July 2005

ADDIS ABABA, July 30, 2005 (Xinhua) — Kelbessa Negewo, suspected mastermind of the infamous tortures of dissidents during the 1970’s in Ethiopia, has been ordered deportation by a US federal immigration judge to his home country, state media reported Saturday.

Kelbessa is on the top list of Ethiopia’s most wanted extraditables for committing numerous acts of torture during the then military dictatorship rule in Ethiopia in the 1970’s, according to the Ethiopian news agency.

The report quoted US immigration judge William A. Cassidy as saying that Kelbessa was responsible for arresting, torturing and killing perceived political opponents in Ethiopia during the 1970’s as part of the military dictatorship led by Mengistu Haile Mariam.

Court records show that Kelbessa served as chairman of what was called the "Higher 9," one of several specialized units in Addis Ababa that employed a campaign of torture, arbitrary imprisonment and summary executions against perceived enemies of the government.

The report also quoted US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) spokeswoman Sue Brown as saying that Kelbessa came to the United States on a student visa in August 1987.

A year later, she said, he applied for and ultimately obtained immigration benefits in the United States, where he later adjusted to a permanent resident and became a citizen.

An investigation by ICE agents into Kelbessa, who was living and working in the Atlanta area, began after several of his reputed torture victims who had relocated from Ethiopia to Atlanta encountered him in the city by chance.

The ICE investigation showed that Kelbessa made false statements about his past human rights violations to obtain his US citizenship, which led to a revocation of it in October 2004.

Kelbessa was arrested under provisions of the intelligence reform act in January and put in detention to await an immigration hearing, which took place on Tuesday.

US judge Cassidy, after two days of testimony, denied all relief and ordered Kelbessa removed from the United States.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email: shirdons@yahoo.com

City: Washington DC

Re: US to deport torture suspect to Ethiopia

Yes!! This individual deserves not only to be deported but also to get the maximum punishment, which he will.

Ibrahim, how about Meles, don’t you think he should be punished for the all the crimes he has committed for the last 14 years? Don’t you think Ethiopian people deserve justice? For those families who lost their loved ones and for those thousands of students who are being tortured as we speak, what do you think it needs to be done to get justice?

HILMNESH!

YOU ARE NOT MISTAKEN IF YOU ARE USING NEGEDITES EYE. WHEN NEGEDITES STAND ON FOOT FROM CREEPING INTO POWER, YOU WILL DISCLOSE YOUR REAL NAME.

Mamomian!

First and for most, it is my high regard to Mr. Mulugeta Asrate Kassa who gave the name "Negedite" to group of people who caused misery and shames to the Ethiopian people during the Mengistu era. Those group of people are not still decapitated to their end. As all we know they are voicing their voices individually, collectivly, or in any other forms. Declaring as if this is not true is not only defying the reality but, it proves that the defier is comforter of Negedites.

Having said this, it amazed me why Mr. Lidetu had denied when he was asked by the reporter, "Are you a Negedite?"

Mr. Lidetu's response, "Sorry, I haven't read Dr. Negede Gobeze's book, so I can't say anything about its contents. Nor can I say anything about the person since he is not a CUD but a UEDF member. And I don't know him."

Mr. Lidetu comforter of Negedite was decapitated by reporter as BBC did to Mr. Hailu who is a member of Negedite.

THUMPS DOWN TO ALL SHAMERS WHO CAUSED SHAME TO ETHIOPIA AND WHO ARE IN MARATHON TO MEAN THAT!!