Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
If, as they claim, NEBE is not acting in a neutral capacity, why is it all right for them to accept

Our yo yo and moaning Opposition must yield to reason

By Mulugeta Aserate Kassa

London 31st July 2005.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing consistent about Ethiopia’s main Opposition parties has, unfortunately, been their inconsistency. Although the lion’s share of the blame rests with CUD, attempt should be made to understand the whys and the wherefores of its seemingly never ending yo yoing and moaning during the electoral process. CUD has, unfortunately, become the victim, as it were, of its meteoric rise to fame which in turn had prevented it from counting its blessings. In short, CUD has been inflicted for sometime by a grasp all lose all syndromes.

Here in Great Britain a migratory bird – the swallow – visits us in April and leaves for warmer climes in September. Many are fooled when they conclude that winter is necessarily over just because we have seen a swallow. The English proverb “one swallow does not make a summer,” by extension reminds us, therefore, that any single piece of evidence is not enough to prove anything. It may even be the exception. Addis Ababa’s mix of people may be regarded a microcosm of Ethiopia, but it would be wrong to conclude that the melt down of EPDRF’s vote in the metropolis has been repeated the length and breadth of Ethiopia. It is this perception, coupled, of course, with that incredible CUD exit poll which claimed 26 million, out of 29 million voters, voted CUD which is ultimately responsible for the continued shilly-shallying action of CUD.

As the electoral process edges to completion with NEBE’s announcement of the outcome of the transparent investigation, we not only see political developments that one dares not witness in any democracy, but actions that defy common sense are being unraveled. Understanding the two major Opposition parties had been problematic throughout the course of the electoral process precisely because they themselves do not seem to know what it is that they themselves want. This has been echoed by none other than the Head of the EU Ambassadors Tim Clarke when he is quoted as having said: “…but the Opposition, themselves have to be clear in their minds of what they want.” Now we know – courtesy of EFTIN – that what is dogma with CUD on Monday becomes a heresy on Tuesday, expect to see more twists and turns, as well as gobbledygook from the coalition of the ideologically disparate.

On Wednesday 27th July, CUD/UDEF issued a joint statement rejecting the outcome of NEBE’s investigation and calling re-election in the near 300 constituencies for which the Opposition had filed – what turned out to be - veracity deficient allegations. In the first instance the joint statement, itself, is flawed. If, as they claim, NEBE is not acting in a neutral capacity, why is it all right for them to accept the landslide victory in Addis Ababa and other cities, and reject losses? Hardly had the ink on the joint statement dried than we were made to witness, yet again, a volte-face on the part of the Opposition parties. Why meet the Prime Minister of Ethiopia, in the first place, if ones intention is to reject the will of the electorate. The pre planned meeting, on the very morrow of the rejection of the Election Results, between Prime Minister Meles Zenawi, Dr Berhanu Nega of CUD and Dr Beyene Petros of UDEF was certainly a delightful scene, but a far cry from a break-through that the nation has been yearning.

EPDRF’s current flirtation with realpolitik may be a badge of competence, but unless it manages to extricate the nation out from the prolonged political stalemate that it finds itself in, precious little can come out from trying to tame the untamable. Already the effect of the prolonged political stalemate has hit hard on businesses and the flow of tourists has been ebbing. Inward investment, too, is unthinkable under such politically unsavory atmosphere. And, then, we are reminded of the current state of belligerency that exists between Ethiopia and the voracious State of Eritrea. All these indices point to the fact that Homeland Ethiopians would be forgiven for reaching the end of their thether with the machinations and Fabian tactics of the Opposition. The Opposition now finds itself on the cross-roads. The democratically noble course of action for the Opposition would be to accept deferred success now and continue to build on its remarkable success by becoming a proactive loyal Opposition of the Ethiopian people. All Ethiopians are equal, and all votes cast are also equal. No nation can, therefore, be expected to stand and stare when a vote is mugged by another vote.

Re: If, as they claim, NEBE is not acting in a neutral capacity, why is it all right for them to acc

Gebreselassie,

Thanks for introducing one of your desperate friend-Aserate Kassa.

Shame on you-Aserate for denying facts. Are you trying to tell us NEBE is not biased at all? Think about and let me know.

Nestanet

Email: ymoges@msn.com

City: Atlanta

Re: If, as they claim, NEBE is not acting in a neutral capacity, why is it all right for them to acc

Netsanet!

It is not fair to say one is desperate when he/she expresses his/her mind.

Having reminding this, I want to ask you the same
question that he raised and try to answer to the best of your knowldge. His question is, "If, as they claim, NEBE is not acting in a neutral capacity, why is it all right for them to accept the landslide victory in Addis Ababa and other cities, and reject losses?"

His question is logic and should be our question too.

Netsanet! I hope your response will be positive and leads us into constructive discussion.

Thank you,

I wonder why the moderator removed two long articles that shows who Mulugeta is. His criminal record and tendency to steal from elderly Ethiopians that has been known for yers was clearly documented and shown in th two articles. Mulugeta is a public figure and his dirty laundry is a subject of public scrutiny. Moderatro should put is back on.

Mulugeta has become the spokesperson for the looting establishment. Small wonder!

Even Mulugeta Lebo wrote that "Addis Ababa’s mix of people may be regarded a microcosm of Ethiopia, but it would be wrong to conclude that the melt down of EPDRF’s vote in the metropolis has been repeated the length and breadth of Ethiopia." It is good that he admited that Addis is a mix of people including Tigray, Oromo, Amhara, Welayeta, Gurage, Kembata, etc and the 100% swipe by CUD negates the argument advanced by some (Gebremenamen and Ibrahim) that CUD is a one ethnic group establishment.

But no one used this as the main reason why the opposition had won nationally. This is Mulugeta's stupid twist. What has been established is that the votes were rigged all over the country.

Mamo Qilo

Mamoians!

In the first place, ER is not a place of entertaining for character assassination and your request will be in vain as usual.

Secondly, You need to answer in a positive way the logic question he raised should you know it. If not, stay off from twisting the subject by bringing immoral issues.

Thirdly, You said, "argument advanced by some (Gebremenamen and Ibrahim) that CUD is a one ethnic group establishment." Regardless of your reason thank you for giving me a name. And if you do not fell ashamed to yourself, you are welcome to give me million names. With respect to the issue, eventhough, I disagree with the so called CUD with the way it played games in Ethiopian politics, I have never said it is one ethinic group in this forum as far as, I could remember. If you meant to tell me that it is an establishment of one ethnic group, it is good to know. Other than that you can prove it by re-posting anything, I said about UCD. Failure to do so in your part showes that you are nothing but born to be a big lier.

I, think this is enough for now.

Thank you,

Correction:---

Read CUD instead of UCD

Gebremenamen,

No one is engaged in character assasination. No one denies any of the allegations about Mulugeta. Even you did not say it is false allegation. What you said is that ER is not the place. He is known for his flaw in his character. He has made himself a public figure by becoming a self appointed spokes person for EPRDF. Therefore, his story is a public story. It is a small wonder that he has become a sopeks person for the looting establishment.

Mamo Qilo

MAMOMIAN!

I KNEW FROM THE START THAT YOU WON'T BE WILLING TO ANSWER QUESTIONS POSED BY MULUGETA OR ME. THIS MEANS YOU ARE BEING DECAPITATED.

Gebremenamen,

I have never seen you ask or answer any question. All you do is cut and paste. Mulugeta is a known Leba who steals from the elderly. He is working on your master to get money and for that Mulugeta will say and do any thing. So he is not asking any question. He is making assertions. For example he said the opposition does not know what it wanted. Stupid. The opposition wanted to take office as charged by the people. What is so difficult to understand.

Gebremenamen. What is your question? And What was Mulugeta's (I mean MuluLeba's) question?

Mamo Qilo

Gebreselassie,

You know what happened. Since you ask, I will tell you the difference between the election in Addis Ababa and the rest of the country. Addis, being the capital city of the country,is the home for many international organizations and embassies.As usual, International news outlet were also stationed more in Addis than the country side.Under this situation, it was very challenging for NEBE to act irresponsibly in stealing people's vote. Woyane and its child NEBE are always scared of WESTERNERS than the native people. That is why in Addis even if they were tempted to steal our vote, they didn't do it.

But in the country side, there were no one to be scared to-NO EMBASSY, NO INTERNATIONAL MEDIA, ONLY THE LOCAL PEOPLE WHOM WOYANE HAS BEEN KILLING,ARESTING,KIDNAPPING,AND ARRESTING FOR THE LAST 14 YEARS.TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH, THERE WAS NO ONE THAT SCARES THEM. SO IT WAS EASY TO STEAL THE VOTE. NEBE DID WHAT ITS FATHER WOYANE TOLD HIM TO DO. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM NEBE WHILE BEING ON THE PAYROLL OF WOYANE. REASONABLE PERSON UNDERSTANDS THIS.

NESTANET

Email: ymoges@msn.com

City: Atlanta

Netsanet!

Are you telling me that you participated in last May 15th, 2005 election? or is it a slip a pen when you said, "our vote"?

I would appreciate if you can answer me with out reservation.

Asrate and Gebreselassie,
You and your bosses (Meles and Co.) remind me the old amharic saying "Yeleba Ayne Derek Meliso Lib Yaderik".

If Meles believes that he has the support of the Ethiopian people:
(1) Why is he afraid of the oppostion talking to the people? What can the oppostion parties tell the public if they are given media access? Meles and Co. have stolen your votes and you should not let that happen! Is that right? If, as Meles and you guys argue, the public has indeed voted for Meles and Co., the public will laugh at the opposition and reassert its support for the "beloved leader"! Do not you agree? What is it that the "wise leader" knows that we the average people do not, which made him to choose to block the communciation between the people and the opposition? May you enlighten me? Please do not give me the "Big Brother" talk : as the public does not know what it is doing,it is the duty of "his highness" to protect the masses from themseves! I do not buy that and it might also anger the people.

(2) The opposition claims NEBE is not independent. Do not you think they have a point given that the members of NEBE are appointed by "his highness" and NEBE is chaired by Kemal Bedri, (handi-picked by the Prime Minister), the president of the highest court in the country. Unfortunately, for the opposition that is the court they will have to go to if they do not accept NEBE's decisions. It is implausible that Bedri, the judge, will reverse the decision of Bedri, the NEBE. It is really very hard for Bedri the judge to be what Bedri the NEBE is not: INDEPENDENT! That means there is no way to conclusively disprove the oppostion's allegations under the current system.

The "beloved leader" tell us that people at
large have voted for the ruling party out of love and respect. Hard to refute that because NEBE has affirmed it. It is clear for those of you who are smarter than most of us to figure out who is telling the truth. We, the average Ethiopians, unfortunately are not sure. Do not you think it would be better to decisively prove the opposition wrong by rerunning the election with an INDEPENDENT election board at the helm, with INDEPENDENT observers (domestic as well as foreign) in all polling stations and guns, soldiers and cadres out of the way? Why would not the "beloved leader" let his "loyal subjects" (the Ethiopian people) show where their loyalty is: with the "Beloved leader" or the opposition parties! Where I grew up, we say "Balebetuan Yamenech Beg Latuan Wich Tasadiralech"!

Mr. Asrate Kassa, if I were you I will not put too much trust on EFTIN. It is prepared by (or under the supervision) of a man who has no sense of right and wrong; a man who would sell his soul to the highest bidder (high=food, Cigarettes,Chat and drink)! How can you blame me if I do not trust this man who used to make a living in the USA accusing Meles and Co. (in the asylum cases he used to write) as the worst enemies of humanity, now telling us the "beloved leader" is our only savior? Either he lied when he used to accuse Meles or he is lying now when he praises him like a god. All the same, he is a LIAR!
It is really sad that money the government gets begging in the name of starving Ethiopians is wasted on "Duriyes" like Zerihun and Andiras!
Thank you.