Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another Appeal to Prime Minister Meles Zenawi By: Asegedech Mekonnen

Another Appeal to Prime Minister Meles Zenawi
By: Asegedech Mekonnen

July 26, 2005
The optimist in me begs me to, yet once again, appeal to you and the whole leadership to pose for a moment and reminisce the past and envision the future of the country. Imagine your future where and when you would sit alone and regret the one decision you wished you didn't make in your distant past. And imagine that you have been able to reverse the hands of time, and the time is now where you have all the chances to make all the wrongs that have been made in the past right. It is in this light; while you put yourself in this sober state of mind that I wish you and the rest of your party leadership listen to my appeal.
In my message to the leaders of the opposition, I mentioned the characteristics that I thought were your deficiencies. Many letters were written to you to reconsider some of the actions you took in the past. Pleas were prepared and delivered to you asking you not to take actions that could hurt the process of democratization in the country. While supporting the move to address the question of nationalities, we shared our concerns in the way things were executed on the ground. While supporting the wishes and the aspirations of the Eritrean people to be on their own, we shared our fear, sometimes in a very vocal and sentimental manner, that the interest of Ethiopia should not be undermined in the process. While backing the overall political, economic and administrative policies in principle we highlighted the negative side of ethnic administration and cautioned that an all-inclusive body be formed to oversee this process. While we uphold the need to protect the territorial integrity of Ethiopia we cautioned that a war with Eritrea should be avoided and elders of the country be empowered to resolve the problems between the two people. We rejected the Algiers Agreement on the ground that it will not bring a long-lasting peace between the two countries and it does not address the legitimate quest for sea outlet for Ethiopia, it denies the Afar people their ancestral right.
These and others that I might have failed to enlist did not get a fair hearing from you. In fact in most cases they were ridiculed and viewed with contempt by your spokespersons and many of the outlets that support you. It is my sincere hope that you reconsider your position on some of these issues, particularly the policy towards Eritrea and work for a consensus on resolving the Eritrean issue peacefully.
Reasonable people want bygones to be bygones. History is useless unless it is used as a tool to learn from the past. What is of importance to Ethiopians is their current state of affair and their future. Blaming each other does not bring food to the table for Ethiopians. Working together, listening to a political opponent and deciding what is best in the spirit of compromise, above all submitting oneself to the rule of law will help us inch forward to make the wish of the people of Ethiopia a reality.
Our country as it is faces huge problems. It is difficult to address all the social and economic issues even under the best political climate, and unity of policy makers and legislators let alone divided and fractured. The work ethics that I observed in the country in my short visits reveals that we have a long way to go in changing attitudes. The real common fight against poverty, disease and backwardness has not yet begun. But here we are engulfed with in-fightings and trivializing the issues that matter to Ethiopians most.
As I said earlier my issue is not with the overall policies of your government but mainly with the way they are administered and effectuated. I know many people including those that are reasonable disagree with my assessment of your policies. But the facts on the ground, the economic progress in terms of infrastructure development, the relative democratic atmosphere that I saw in the country, the foreign policy of your government, save the policy towards Eritrea, the empowerment of the different nationalities of Ethiopia in terms of their language and culture ? all these factors have made me conclude that Ethiopia is better than it were yesterday.
The practice in the Ethiopian politics so far has been to concentrate on the negative and prepare a fertile ground for ill-fillings, accusations, condemnations ?for all destructive characteristics one can think of. We have to drastically change our attitude and start appreciating what is good in each one of us. Constructive is the enabling word that each one of us need to learn and appreciate. It will help us construct a country that we could collectively be proud of.
Thus, your government needs to be given the due credit in this respect. I do not see the need to deny what I glaringly see as an objective positive development in order to be critical of your administration. Certainly I will be contributing negatively towards the stability, peace and development if I were to deny realities and condemn your government for all the problems that we have in our country. Our problems are age-long and deep-rooted. The rule of fairness dictates that we be objective in our judgment.
However, despite all these positive developments, there seems to be a sense of gloom and doom in the atmosphere. Many people, including some reasonable ones, have found it hard to see the positive. The overall perception is that your administration is not democratic, pro development, for unity and for equality. And in politics PERCEPTION matters very much.
In my view this negative perception is a result of the insensitivity and a rejection to criticism and advice that you displayed many times in the past. Processes are as important as the end results, as the final outcomes. People who believe that they have a stake in the way politics is run in the country should be given the opportunity and the means to exercise their rights. A consultative process must precede all decisions that could have a long-lasting effect on the community at-large. People in the opposition have to feel that they have as much to contribute to the progress of the country as the ruling party.
It is my contention that the government has to prepare a conducive environment for the opposition to grow and be a truly national force. I am aware that this has been your declared objective but I am not sure how far you have succeeded. To some, this 'naﶥ' advice may not sound logical at the first hearing. Parties compete to assume political power, and the western-style democrat may ask, why then assist an opponent to grow? My view is that our country is at a crossroad, in a unique situation with unique problems. The western-style democracy, a democracy developed under completely different social environment, economic realities, under one nation-state and after hundreds of years of destructive wars, and experiments cannot be expected to work in our Ethiopia. If there is any lesson that is worthy of emulating from the western democracy it is the respect and the willingness to be governed by the rule of law.
We are in a state of building a real democratic country that needs to be equally shared by its inhabitants. Democratic practice in our country means going beyond party politics and accommodating those that have different views in the state building process. We do not have the luxury of engaging in trivial issues as is the practice in the western parliaments.
This parliament should not mimic the west. In our case the parliament is more than a legislative body. I say this because the institutions of democracy, judiciary system, executive etc... are not yet developed to guarantee the rule of law in our country. They are at their infancy and need to get every support they can muster in order to stand on their own. The Ethiopian parliament, therefore, has a very heavy responsibility compared to any of its counterparts in many parts of the western world. We do not want it to be a parliament where members physically fight with each other, engage in trivial and unnecessary bickering, and become a disgrace instead of a model to the nation.
PM Meles: You are an intelligent man. I have been very much impressed by the way you represent Ethiopia to the Western powers. You have an impeccable record in winning arguments that you believe in. You are articulate in your delivery and swift in your thinking. You are firm in your beliefs. You have excellent qualities that can be exploited for the good of the country under the right political environment. Ethiopia has benefited from your leadership. You definitely are a resource that can be used in any capacity in the future.
However, the limitations on your part that I have mentioned and the current 'confrontational' atmosphere with the opposition forces have made the progress that has been made so far look bleak. As one of your local media put it, this is the time for statesmanship and visionary leadership. Hence, I urge you to bow your head, swallow your pride and make the first move for a compromise. In my opinion, what are needed are small steps to show that you mean business; your priority is building democracy, eradicating disease and hunger from your country.
The following good gestures could go a great length in stabilizing the political atmosphere of the country:
We hear that the administrative and financial power of Addis Ababa is being eroded in anticipation of the opposition party running the city. I urge you and other policy makers to stop this process and guarantee that Addis Ababa has at least the same amount of resources as it has now.
Ensure that all contested sits in the parliament are investigated thoroughly and be abided by the ruling of the Election Committee.
Invite all opposition party leadership, and if need be invite local elders of the country who can be endorsed by the opposition elements, and declare that you are ready to work with the opposition, in a constructive manner.
Direct your party, your government and the media to cease from statements that create further division and enmity with the opposition groups.
Declare that the parliament will not take major policy decisions without the consent of the majority of the opposition party members.
Create the process where the public media would be free from the influence of one political party: form an agency that works at arms-length with the government.
Assuming that the lection result is accepted and your party remains in power, I would like you to consider giving important parliamentary committees leadership to opposition party members. This will help build confidence and create the atmosphere for exercising responsible leadership.
I believe that these reasonable steps on your part will help the country move forward. These gestures will help to strengthen the unity of Ethiopians of all walks of life. It will encourage the Diaspora to take part in the country's development wholeheartedly and with out much reservation.
A person who carries the responsibility of leading a country as complex as ours needs to be very accommodating. The opposition as well as the ruling party leaders need to understand that the responsibility of solving the current impasse rests on both of them.
In many ways the country is on the right track. The empowerment of nationalities is now deep-rooted and irreversible. But you have the task of making this change palatable to all citizens of the country and help them understand that this is in the best interest of Ethiopia. I applaud your desire to engage the Ogadeni opposition elements in dialogue and find ways to include them in the democratic process. A similar gesture towards OLF, I believe, will make the process more complete, thereby creating a conducive atmosphere for unity, development and democratization in Ethiopia.
Prime Minister Meles: It is my sincere hope that this time around, you will heed to the voices of reason that are reverberating from near and far and consider the advices before making your final decisions. Think hard and find ways to reverse the negative perception that is clouding the political atmosphere in our country. Consult with ordinary Ethiopians and the opposition political forces to bring unity of purpose in the country. Together, eradicate this artificial divide between 'pure' (nitsuh) Ethiopian and the 'not so pure' Ethiopian. It is then that we all feel Ethiopians of equal value and begin to contribute to the greatness of these great people of Ethiopia.
The challenges ahead are not easy. Working with an opposition in a parliament may prove to be hard in the beginning. Could be carried away and lose sight of the nation's business and use the house of the representatives for other matters. More alarmingly the opposition forces, if thy do not wish to represent the interests of those who successfully elected them, could refuse to join your parliament. Some could be confrontational. People may want to show their dissatisfaction through mass rallies and demonstrations. Some could be violent and unruly. It could be a time that taxes one's patience. But I urge you to act with the maximum patience and restraint. I believe that despite temporary upsets, patience will bear fruit. 'Yerega wotet qibe yiwotawal'.
Thank you for your anticipated attention to this matter.
I wish you all the best.
A Note to my appeal to Oppositions members: First, I would like to clarify why I did not include Ato Hailu Shawel and Dr Merera in my list. It is because these gentlemen are not known to me and I found it hard to write definitive statements about their character. However, hind sight being twenty-twenty, I acknowledge that I should have included them in the list. Irrespective of what their personal characteristic is, one cannot ignore leaders who boast millions of members in their party structure. My principle is any force that represents significant constituents be part of the political process. For that I apologize. I sincerely hope that they accept my apology.
Others have commented that I am undermining the differences when I limited my criticism of the EPRDF and the PM to character deficiencies, and execution. I appreciate the fact that others see more fundamental issues in terms of policies, but after so much thought and pondering I have concluded that I do not have fundamental differences with EPRDF on policies except the policy on Eritrea. That, however, does not mean that actions and processes are less important than policies. The plan or policy or strategy could be sound, but if the execution is faulty the end result could equally be disastrous. In all cases one needs to peacefully, respectfully and constructively try to influence change.
Some have seen my 'strong' criticism of the vocal Diaspora as too generalizing. I guess I was trying to be a bit discriminating when I included the word 'vocal'. My criticism is directed towards those who create further division and hatred, and not towards those who show their political differences in a constructive manner.

Re: Another Appeal to Prime Minister Meles Zenawi By: Asegedech Mekonnen

I know that I have done right to respond with respect to this lady previously. I found this from aiga forum and am thinking Meles must read this from a very Pro-EPDRF website or at least he will be briefed about the existence of the letter.

Madam Asegedech said "Thus, your government needs to be given the due credit in this respect. I do not see the need to deny what I glaringly see as an objective positive development in order to be critical of your administration. Certainly I will be contributing negatively towards the stability, peace and development if I were to deny realities and condemn your government for all the problems that we have in our country. Our problems are age-long and deep-rooted. The rule of fairness dictates that we be objective in our judgment."
I disagree with her again respecting her idea that our problem age-long and deep-rooted but something that needs a solution reached by building consensus and not by chasing away opponents. Maybe she is being cordial because she is making an appeal.

Madam Asegedech also said "However, despite all these positive developments, there seems to be a sense of gloom and doom in the atmosphere. Many people, including some reasonable ones, have found it hard to see the positive. The overall perception is that your administration is not democratic, pro development, for unity and for equality. And in politics PERCEPTION matters very much..." and listed out her appeal for Meles.
I agree, support and respect this lady's appeal to the prime minister even if I disagree with some of her point of view.

Thank you Madam Asegedech for being fair and appealing to the government as well.

A comment on Asegedech Mekonnen's appeal to the Prime Minister
By B Amare
July 29, 2005
http://www.dekialula.com/articles/b_amare_july_29_2005.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After having carefully read Asegedech's appeal to the PM and in earlier piece to the leaders of the opposition, I have concluded that this good sister seems very sincere and have no ulterior motive except the well being of our country. I applaud her. Having said that let me directly proceed to my comments on her latest appeal.

I firmly believe that the time Ethiopia finds itself in today is a critical one by any standard. It is a turning point to either to good times to come or worse times to come, God forbid. How it turns out largely depends on the actions, reactions and omissions of both the ruling party and the opposition.

I fully agree with some of Asegedech's points of plea to the PM and I disagree with some of the points based on, if nothing else, their impracticality. In life in general and in politics in particular there are times simply conceding points of differences to avoid confrontation or to appease an offended person(s) does not always work and would certainly fail to bring a lasting solution.

Points of plea I hope the PM would reconsider:

Deliberately making changes to the existing local and national laws whose implementation gravely under cut the meaningful participation of the opposition parties is destructive and must be reversed if there is a genuine intention to nourish the democratic culture in Ethiopia. I am not questioning the legality of such actions. Barred any provision to the contrary, such actions may well be legal. But when such actions are carried out, as is reported, with an outcome that certainly is aimed at rendering the opposition impotent, its mere legality does not make a sage and prudent course of action.

Continued to ensure that all contested sits in the parliament are investigated thoroughly leaving no room as much as possible for any fabricated complaint. And this requires transparency that can be attested to by independent observers.

Be determined to show maximum patience and restraint in using deadly force in the wake of any violence that might ensue in the future so long as such violence are not threatening to the order of governance.

"Create the process where the public media would be free from the influence of one political party: form an agency that works at arms-length with the government." I can only add that this idea is past due.

Points of plea I respectfully disagree with Asegedech:

Declare that the parliament will not take major policy decisions without the consent of the majority of the opposition party members.

If the PM would heed to this appeal, I would for one hail him as a 'Saint'. Assuming the PM's party remains in power with the majority of the seats, I argue it is beneficial to his party and to the democratic future of the country if he were to consult in good faith with the members of the opposition parties on all legislative matters and policy decisions. But declaring, as my good sister advocates, '... that the parliament will not take major policy decisions without the consent of the majority of the opposition party members' seems impractical. Let me pose this question: If the PM's party won the election and formed the government as prescribed by the constitution, why should (they could if they want to) they declare such declarations to render themselves ineffectual whenever the opposition decides not to give their consent? Will not this make the parliament a debating forum with no end in sight? I suspect this Asegedech's plea has as its rationale a good intention to appease the loser of the election and thereby avoid a probable fall out. Asegedech's plea would be an excellent compromise if no clear winner of this election were to emerge. Rather it might be in Ethiopia's long term interest if the Parliamentary rules were to require a two-third majority for passing major legislations that fundamentally affects the fabric of the society and the territorial integrity of the country.

Asegedech forwarded the suggestion that PM considers giving important parliamentary committees leadership positions to opposition party members. I would like to believe as Asegedech does such gesture might help build confidence and create the atmosphere for exercising responsible leadership. If the PM would heed to this appeal, I would again for one hail him as a 'Saint'. But I doubt the practicality of such a proposal. Why should (they could if they want) a winning party gives leadership positions of important parliamentary committees to a losing party if not to appease them? Is it not to hold such positions and chart a political course and pass legislations all in tune to one's party goals that a political party enters into election in the first place? My disagreement does not in any way diminish the value of the noble ideas Asegedech has raised. It is just I question their acceptability.

VJ,

I read the long letter of appeal. I was surprised to read your reaction. You seem to have failed to understand that governments are governed by incentives and constraints. The constraints are legal, moral and ethical. TPLF is devoid of moral and ethical values. How else can you explain its looting establishment? There is no legal constraint that the government of Ethiopia is accountable to. There is no moral or ethical value it lives by. Yet the incentive, the economic booty, is growing by the day both from international aid and also from the business enterprises that TPLF is running illegally, including in contraband and tax free status. There is a major disconnect between the incentive which has grown to be lucrative and the constraint which is totally absent from the equation.

When this happens armed looters entrench themselves both in the economic and political systems. This is the modus oprendi of government in Ethiopia. They control the economy to loot and they monopolize the political system to legitimize and enforce the looting. It is in this backdrop that I see the misguided appeal. My conclusion is it was an absolute waste of time. You cannot appeal to a government that is demonstrably devoid of moral values. Here I see even a seasoned political observer as VJ failing to understand the situation we are in. Sending appeal letters wrapped with flowers and inserted in chocolate boxes would do nothing. Again Gebremenamen is my case study. Try to appeal to him to be objective and come let me know if you succeed.

If the purpose of the letter was to convince the world that we have trieed every thig, including appealing to the PM, that would be one thing. In that case, both the tone and the substance of the letter would be different. It would be addressed to the PM, but it would address tself to the international community.

Mamo Qilo

why I disagree with Mr Amare's comment,

Mr. Amare,

When Ms. Asegedech said "Declare that the parliament will not take major policy decisions without the consent of the majority of the opposition party members" she is trying to propose a conciliatory idea that would be acceptable by opposition as some sort of concession. Let us be reminded that the PM's party will not be a legitimate winner since EPDRF want to extend mandate with a dependent electoral commission and the slaughtering of innocent peaceful students to say the least. It is neither beneficial to his party nor to the democratic future if the country if EPDRF is continue their unilateral legislation. This makes the parliament a debating forum unlike Mr Amares opinion because
-the opposition will be empowered with such gestures and also start to focus on work and the improvement of the election process
-the prime minister can blame the opposition for failing to work on any compromise.

This can not be called an appeasement because the opposition has a legitimate and undeniable grievance that the government stole the mandate by force. The losers and winner can not been determined by the election outcome and we are not going in the right direction therefore the point of appeal is to come up with a workable formula and avoid a probable fall out. Asegedech's plea is a compromise because there is not a clear and legitimate winner on this election.

Finally, I could say Mr. Amare could have been right if the election process is fair and free of intimidation with independent electoral commission and that had few parliament seats contested.

Mamo,
I disagree mamo, Meles is desperately trying to botch up the next parliament, let somebody close to his idea appeal to him and let him say no. That would serve as another reason for the opposition to go for boycott and start peaceful struggle.

VJ,

Not only he is trying to botch up the election, but he is also putting i place changes to undermine the rule of the CUD in Addis. It would be interesting to see how the TPLF economic enterprises would function in Addis under CUD. Meles has given 10% tax deduction to evrybody in Addis. This is to undermine the economic or tax base of CUD led adminstration. You are undermining the beast we are dealing with.

Mamo Qilo aka
Bula Geberdin aka
Beruktawit Balcha aka
Cyber Bully aka
Selemon Tessema aka
etc

I read both articles and I think Asegedech is as sincere as one can come. The question is would she find a receptive ear?

Bravo Asegedech!

With love!

VJ and Mamo Qilo,

I have been following your short convesations.In her long appeal letter to Meles, she wrote:

"As I said earlier my issue is not with the overall policies of your government but mainly with the way they are administered and effectuated. I know many people including those that are reasonable disagree with my assessment of your policies. But the facts on the ground, the economic progress in terms of infrastructure development, the relative democratic atmosphere that I saw in the country, the foreign policy of your government, save the policy towards Eritrea, the empowerment of the different nationalities of Ethiopia in terms of their language and culture ? all these factors have made me conclude that Ethiopia is better than it were yesterday."

FACT: Most Ethiopians do not support their economic,political policies. They consider it as a threat to their country.They are demanding democracy as reflected by the vote of the people. They want their vote to be counted.

Nestanet

Email: ymoges@msn.com

City: Atlanta

Selam Nestanet

There are significant positive changes in the country. The question is whether or not the changes made so far are in par with the wishes and aspirations of Ethiopians. In that regard, Asegedech’s assessment of the “facts on the ground” may be a little generous in favor of EPRDF. Be that as it may, there are significant changes and some of these changes are for the good of the nation. Comparing the current changes in economics, infrastructure, and freedom of mobility with that of the previous regime has nothing to do with demanding an accurate and transparent vote counts of the May 15 election.

With Love.

Yilma,

I agree there might be some positive changes in the country.What about the negative changes? For me the negative changes outways the positive ones.One good example will be ethnic division and conflict since Woyane took office.

One issue I occassionally hear especially from the so called developed countries and now from you is that the "The country is better in this administration than the previous regime". Who made the "The dergue regime" a standard?

Nestanet

Email: ymoges@msn.com

City: Atlanta

Yilma,

From were we were during Derge, there are some positive changes. It is next to imposible not to have a positive change. Do not forget the billions of dollars that have been given to Ethiopia during the last 14 years. The US helped the downfall of Mengistu by starving it of foreign echange. Despite the increase in coffee price since the fall of Mengistu, and despite the billions of dollars given to Ethiopia from foreign countries and international organizations, our GDP per capita stands at $110 dollars, $10 dollars less than what it was during Mengistu's time. Check the figure from World Bank publications.

But the issue is not wether there is positive change or not. You can have a very significant and super positive change. This is no excuse to rig the people's vote. The problem with the appeal letter is that appeal letters are often addressed to people with molar values. TPLF and Meles are devoid of moral and ethical values. You have no chance of seeing any change. Change goes contrary to the interests of their looting establishments. You need to understand this to understand the mode of operation of this government.

Mamo Qilo

Hello Mamo,

Your saying, “TPLF and Meles are devoid of moral and ethical values”, makes me question if they are actually aware of it. As time goes, being stubborn seems to generate nothing but their own graveyard.

When a man becomes too muscular, the woman in him is not appreciated. He forgets that she is like a precious gem. One doesn't leave her unattended. One protects her because she is the sources of intelligent. Without her role, the muscles of men are like nuclear heads built out of fear while his inner society is exploding with biological time bombs.

It doesn’t have to be this way for them to realize that they are making grave errors. They should realize that they could never govern by thinking alone. Thinking is only a material process and human beings are species with greater values than just material.

Human

Human,

Welcome back. It is possible that they may not be aware of it. But that is unlikely. It is like to say Mengistu was not actually aware of his brutal dictatorship. They are intoxicated with the corrupting power of political office. The woman in them (with them/around them) is (are) equally intoxicated with the booty of political power in Africa. She is enjoying life and does not mind to stay on the shoulder of the people.

Mamo Qilo

Mamo,

I was actually referring to a woman within man to symbolize an accommodating/cooperative character in common. Why do you want to picture the wives of bunch of criminals? I think Mengistu was actually not aware of the consequences of his actions. He was simply blinded and obsessed by ideologies and emotions. It is very difficult to be aware of one’s doing especially when one is blinded with power, ideology, and wrong sense of ego.

H

Human,

I understood that you were talking about the women within the man, that is why I said "The woman in them (with them/around them) is (are) equally intoxicated with the booty of political power in Africa." This is to cover not only the women within the man but also with him and around him. I was taking your argument a couple of levels higher. Mengistu may be blineded by ideology. Meles is intoxicated with loot and booty.

Mamo Qilo

The more I think about it, the more I get so upset for the people of Ethiopia. Especially,
I feel for those families who lost a family member by Meles. The killer of their children, Meles, instead of to be in jail for at least 50 years for his criminal act, now he is going to be rewarded to be a leader again for 5 more years. What a justice? It is one thing for Meles and his cronies to take the leadership by force, but what I don’t understand is how some of you are trying to forget and excuse all the crime he has committed and give him a free ride by saying the opposition leaders need to move aside and shut up. Where is the justice for those families who lost family members and for all those who are still being tortured in different prisons all over Ethiopia? What a slap on the face?

Selam Netsanet and Mamo

Your points are well made and well considered here.

I did not mean to lower the standard to account EPRDF for its misguided and mismanaged policies. Though Assegedech’s primary focus was mostly on political culture, she also outlined a number of areas where EPRDF failed to deliver its promises. As I understood it, her “silver bullet” argument was such that finding some positive things upon which to mutually celebrate should be the starting marker for conflict resolution. In that respect, her approach is civil, if not the way to move forward.