Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Negotiate Like Ariel Sharon

I am concerned about the on going negotiations between the government and the opposition leaders. Some of the leaders are now elected representatives of the people with full delgation and power to speak for the people. I am not in any way undermining their authority and independence.However it is not clear to me what they are trying to achieve from the negotiations. I don't think they have set a clear cut goal on the basis of principle.I am not against negotiations but it should be based on firm stand. The opposition donot have guns but they have the full support of the Ethiopian people.The Government knows that very well.That is a very good leverage.They need to think about the consequences of their actions and must think at least few steps ahead.I am not a lawyer but it is not to their disadvantage to sign binding agreements. Lets learn from the process of the probe to the voting fraud.The negotiation should have been on making the Election Board a neutral body in the first place.If that is not achieved the goal is already bound to fail and I donot see any advantage of being indulged in that kind of process. Also Tim clark did not show neutrality and the opposition have the right to refuse his mediation.At least let it be a matter of public record. Currently it is mentioned that they are talking on the use of mass media.However the negotiation should be on complete free press including the right to establish there own free media with out any government interference etc...If you negotiate on issues you can be manipulated easly.If no agreement can be reached on certain issues,it is OK.Let it stand that way.I deepley believe they are doing an excellent job.I am just voicing my concern.I may also be ill informed.

Email: tl@yahoo.com