Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reading Klarke Between the Crooked Lines - The Three Scenarios

It seems obvious that the EU is following behind the American shadow. The US is the ultimate super power. The apparent principled stand of the EU that even came and leaked a report to Embasies in Addis suggesting that its polls taken in 700 or so voting stations indicates that the Opposition had won. The EU representative lady was called by Meles to his palace and dressed down with strong language. She went back home and Clarke cam over. With Clarke came the US policy. The US, as some of us were suggesting for months, is concerned that the opposition would go to war with Eritrea and revoke aarticle 39, thereby creating instability in the horn. The opposition failed to take a prudent political action to assure the west that it would not do any thing that will create instability in the region.

Reading bewteen lines, Clarke seems to give the government to EPRDF, but wants them to compromise. As you can read from his interview, scenario three is the only relevant scenario. The other two are not realistic scenarios.

The third scenario has it that "the opposition not only boycott the next Parliament, but the 40-45 percent of the population that did not vote for the government starts protesting through violence or non-violent means. Mr. Clarke spoke of his fear that if the majority do not address some of the problems of the opposition "then Ethiopia would be in trouble for some time ahead, with very unpredictable consequences". In this he seems to put the government responsible for any unpredictable consequenses.

Now the decision is that of the Ethiopian people and their elected officials.

Mamo Qilo

Speaking of his current involvement in the post election negotiations Mr. Clarke noted that one of his tasks was to see what formula could be agreed upon between all the parties to ensure that any future government adequately addresses the views of society correctly, so that there is no "dislinkage" between government and society.

He explained that, at the moment, it was difficult to guess "whether the government is going to seek some sort of reconciliation with the opposition parties or assert its right to govern, whichever way it prefers, since it's [been] given the mandate by the people. That is the 64,000 dollars question."

Re: Reading Klarke Between the Crooked Lines - The Three Scenarios

The way to the palace is not only through Washington but also through the disintegration of EPDRF as an institution the way Derge/WPE lost the support of its own members. That should be our goal. That is why mamo is right about the attitude of CUD and article 39. When that happens I am sure that people like Gebremeles will daily post about the true nature of EPDRF. Then we can say that is the end of Meles. One of the reasons I like UEDF is because one of their member organization is TAND which is Tigrayan Alliance for National Democracy which includes previous leader of TPLF Aregawi Berhe. He is doing a good job exposing the iron rule of Meles in Tigray.

Mr. Clark is a diplomat and he will change position if the opposition stands their ground and keep on insisting that

1. EPDRF rigged the vote and the methods that they used are …..
2. They prevented peaceful student from holding non violent demonstration,
3. They took extreme measure to stop demonstration
4. The Election Board is not independent and is entangled with the EPRDF
5. The NEBE has disregarded majority of the opposition claims with forceful intimidation and unlawful means going outbound of their mandate and involving in illegal scheme
6. The international community should investigate NEBE itself
7. The Prime Minister is harassing and intimidating opposition officials to carry out his will with out Consulting their members.

..... and so forth, unfortunately the burden of proof is on the opposition shoulder.

VJ,

I sometimes wish that you were leading the opposition. I would have followed the lead of Ibrahim and voted for you. I am totally with you. The opposition needs to stand its ground. It also needs to assure both the international and national communities that it is a viable force and not a distabilizing force as the EPRDF paints them. Unfortunately CUD has failed to take a prudent and pragmatic action to this effect. I am sure UEDF would have no problem to announce that they will not mess up with Article 39 and the Eritrean issue.

This Ethiopia is never colonized and is a beacon of freedom and independence in Africa thing is getting in our head more than it should. I think that is what makes it difficult to CUD and company to accept the fact of life that you cannot ignore the interests of the West and take and sustain power.

Mamo Qiilo

Ibrahim,

Why do you always attack people rather than their views. I though your accusation of VJ to be a clone of Mamo is uncalled for. It shows your tendency to run away from a learned discussion. We expect you to be rational and to the point.

regards,

Sophia Ahmed

Mamo Qilo,
I totally agree with you on what you said:

“…. The opposition needs to stand its ground. It also needs to assure both the international and national communities that it is a viable force and not a destabilizing force as the EPRDF paints them….”

This should have been done from the get go. The opposition leaders need to strengthen their PR. Hopefully it is not too late to persuade the EU leaders and US their capability of ruling Ethiopia. I say the opposition leaders need three things---PR, PR and PR.

Selam Yehun,

That is what I have been saying from the get go. Look at what I posted under Two things CUD and UEDF need to do immediately. Look also what I posted under Governing is different from winning votes. Read also what I have posted on What Hailu Should have said during his interview. The opposition lost the opportunity to get the confidenc of the international public because it did not have a savy PR strategy. Their supporters in the US and Europe are out of their leagues. I was constantly attacked for suggesting this. I wish you were as vocal then. Now do you dispute that I am leading this forum when it comes to enlightened discussion?

Mamo Qilo

I hate to say shoulda, coulda, woulda , but it is common sence how important PR is for any country let alone for the opposition leaders.

Three days ago I read this on Sudan Tribune and it has been bothering me ever since. Now Meles has seen how the majority Ethiopians abroad are against him, I wonder Meles is trying to close the borders between Ethiopia and Sudan so that more Ethiopians won't get out after Meles stolen the election.

What do you think this PR with the Sudan leader?

Here the article:
KHARTOUM, July 27, 2005 (SUNA) — The Higher Joint Sudanese-Ethiopian Committee is to meet in Khartoum on August 5-6, co-chaired by President of the Republic Omer Al-Bashir and Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Mustafa Osman Ismail said in a press statement that it had been agreed during an earlier visit by President Al-Bashir to Addis Ababa to upgrade the joint ministerial committee between the two countries to a higher committee.

He added that the meeting of the higher joint committee would be preceded by the ministerial committee.