Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WHEN WILL THE CRY STOP?

The Race Is To Form a Government Not By Vote But By Force.

CUD and UEDF, Joint Press Release.

Addis Ababa , July 27, 2005

The race is to form a government not by vote but by force Much was said by EPRDF and by the National Electoral Board (NEB) about the May 15/2005 election being just, democratic and flawless. On the other hand, opposition parties and the people had struggled and even died to expose the lack of neutrality on the part of NEB and to ensure that political power emanated from the will of the people. Unfortunately, anti-democratic forces bent on frustrating this effort have succeeded in thwarting the desired outcome. They have succeeded in doing so through the barrel of the gun and through the grossly prejudiced decision of the National Electoral Board. As a result of the unjust decisions of the National Electoral Board, the people have been robbed of their voice. In some places, they have been prevented from voting or forced to vote for the ruling party. Now these anti-democratic forces are busy in their determination to form a government by force.

CUD and UEDF had made it clear in their joint press statement of July 19, 2005, that the investigation process was not designed to do justice to the people's voice but to give EPRDF an additional chance to be able to take away more voice from the people. In the July 19 joint statement, the following points have been made clear:

1. In almost all of the panels the representatives of the Electoral Board were blatantly biased. The representatives not only had acted outside of the agreed upon guidelines, but have also ignored their impartiality by denying established truths, disregarding documentary evidence and arguing openly against UEDF and CUD representatives.

2. UEDF and CUD representatives and witnesses have been harassed, threatened, and were openly reminded of harsh days ahead of them unless they behaved properly. In some places they have been barred from appearing as witnesses and in still some instances beaten or killed.

3. It was observed that some of the panelists and presenters of cases on behalf of EPRDF were public prosecutors, justices and security officers.

4. Although it is clearly stipulated in the investigation guidelines that each complainant would be allowed to have 5 witnesses per a contested constituency. NEB panelists and EPRDF representative have, in complete disregard of the guideline, chosen to proceed with their own interpretation.

5. Documents compiled by the Electoral Board and sent to the investigating panels were incomplete thus being a cause for serious misunderstandings.

6. It is to be recalled that NEB had developed a list of items that the complainants could lodge for investigation by the panels. Accordingly, the types of complaints were marked in advance in the format of NEB had prepared for the purpose. Only these were to be used during the investigation. Instead, NEB representatives in the panels identified new complaint types that were petty and thus confusing and not strong and good enough for the panels to arrive at credible decisions.

7. International observers were not allowed to observe the decision making process in full and clearly follow the whole investigation. In addition, presentations of cases were conducted in the absence of international observers and opposition representatives.

Not only this, it is to be recalled that the June 10 tripartite declaration and the June 14 additional version to the same document was signed in order to create a conducive environment of the peaceful investigation of the election irregularities. Article 4 of the additional document of the joint declaration has been fully abrogated in complete disregard of the serious complaints lodged by CUD and UEDF, and the anti-democratic forces are set on forming a government by force. Article 4 of the additional joint declaration says:

"The signatories confirm that they stand ready to implement their 10 June 2005 declaration in an open, constructive, inclusive, and consensual manner. The signatories agree to discuss the precise modalities for implementing their declaration in a conducive environment."

The above provision was meant to enable the people to give their witnesses without fear and to move about freely without the intimidating presence of the armed militia. It was also meant to prevent the cajoling of people on the one hand, and the imprisoning, beating and harassing them, on the other. But all this effort has been made to go down the drain. We, on our part, have done our best to play the pacifying and stabilizing role while the ruling party was fully engaged in creating tension among the people. The tension has turn seriously affected the investigation process. Consequently, the investigation process has failed. The objective was to give victory to EPRDF and this has been successfully achieved.

In their July 26 statement, NEB officials had said that representatives of opposition parties had not lodged their complaints on the spot. They said that the representatives made their complaints after they returned from the investigation places. The truth is that the representatives had lodged their complaints to the investigating committee on the spot. It was only when their complaints were rejected by the team there that they came to Addis Ababa. Some of the representatives had handed their complaints to the investigating teams in writing. Whether the complaints were lodged on the spot or at the center, the NEB has done nothing about them.

In short, the investigation process has been conducted outside the agreed declaration. It is true that during the investigation process, homes of witnesses have been burned down. Witnesses have been killed. Families of witnesses have been harassed. On July 16, 2005, Ato Wuddu Delelegn had reported to the investigation panel and complained that the local militia had threatened to kill him if he did not leave the area by July 22, the day when the investigating committee would have finished its work. He was told that the investigating committee would come to his place and that he should go there and wait. He was assured that he would not be harmed. But he was killed on July 16. Our representatives had asked to go to where Ato Wuddu was killed, together with other witnesses. Their request was denied. Instead, a team of journalists went alone to the place and came up with the drama that was presented on television yesterday and before yesterday.

Ato Belete Ejigu from Awangi Zone, Killage Constituency, was killed on July 16, 2005. The killers are Yibeyin Ayalew and Abbayneh Birara. The organizer of the criminal act is the kebele chairman.

In Arsi Negelle, the killers of member of parliament-elect have not been detained according to the law, and the Jeldu wereda murders have been rewarded.

Another murder has been committed in Gindeberet wereda. Along with the killings, innocent citizens have been beaten, imprisoned and displaced.

The ruling party is busy disseminating false propaganda through its monopolized government media against the opposition parties and pressuring them to accept the outcome of the election, whatever it may be, with grace. What does this mean? It means that they should accept the result regardless of however it is obtained.

The NEB and EPRDF have gone to the extent of discrediting decision made by conscientious election executives and judges. Some NEB officials said that final decisions can be made only at the main office. Other NEB officials said decisions can be made on the spot in the field. It is the decisions made in this state of confusion that we are being forced to accept.

During the investigation, in constituencies where EPRDF had lodged complaints to save its high level officials who were ignominiously defeated, it was decided that there should be a rerun of the election. In areas where the opposition parties had lodged complaints, their requests were rejected, with few exceptions, by a majority decision on grounds of insufficient evidence.

What does it mean when EPRDF says that the opposition parties have taken votes away from it? The security forces, the weapons, the prisons, the administration, the police are all in its own hands. How can it accuse the opposition parties when on the contrary, it is the one that rigged the election and robbed the people's vote? The NEB, which is created by EPRDF, is sitting as a judge and making sure that its creator wins the election.

The voice of the people cannot be protected while the NEB stands as a loyal agent of EPRDF. If the people's voice is to be respected and peace and stability to prevail, the contested constituencies must be re-examined by a neutral body or there should be a reelection in the 299 contested constituencies in an atmosphere free from beatings, imprisonment and harassment. We call upon domestic and international observers to contribute their share in participating actively and observing the reelection as they have done in the past. We issue this call in the name of the Ethiopian people who have been robbed of their voice.

Re: WHEN WILL THE CRY STOP?

Mr Gebreselassie,

Why do you post an article realsed two days ago? It is found in Ethiopianreview home page. I think it took you two days to read it. Afterall you are Gebreselassie.

City: Addis

It was a relief not to hear from GebreMeles for a couple of days. I don’t understand why the Moderator is very lenient towards him. G/S has tried different times to intimidate or belittle people.

LEMLEM!

IF I WERE YOU, I WOULD SHUT MY MOUTH AND DO MY OWN BUSINESS. HAVING SAID THIS, IT IS NOT MY PROBLEM IF YOU CONSIDER IT AS INTIMIDATION WHEN I ASKED YOU FOR CLARIFICATION ON YOUR REPORT.

YOUR FAILED TO ANSWER PROVED ME YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A SILLY ONE.

GebreMeles-
You are not my master and neither is Meles. You are nauseating. Why don’t you shut up? After all, YOU are the one who spews hateful garbage. You called me silly—well, sir, you are the best example of a moron if ever there was one—all day long you post senseless garbage—you are the silliest in all the land. Now, leave me alone.

I suggest Gebereselasie Zemariam be banned from this forum. This is so he can work more in Colorado and come across the people who roughed him up. They did such a bad job at him. It would be nice if they get a second chance ta him.

Mamo Qilo

MAMO QILO!

HANG YOURSELF IF YOU WISH.

I think ,you are the one, who shoud be baned from Hear . i read all ur Garbage till today . you are n`t make any sense at all.i wonder if you have a Life To lead , a JOB to work, a place To live , a BED to sleep, a friend to talk to ? it breaks My heart to see such desprate Ethiopians In Diaspora.
with full of hate & zero alternative or tolerance, they oppose like the so-called opposition (CUD)every think Under the sky.
Dear mamo qilo , your daddy , the Other BIG Qilo-CUD`s are now Cornerd they have Only one option left , tell then this time to be smart enough to use this Golden Oppertunity before its to late ,
The era Of Mis-information decite & lie has to End there,there crying baby style is not Gone work this Time either, they have been proved wrong by the International Community again & again , No more lie , No more fabrication of stories-like the One they mentioned In there silly-joint statement about Wedu Delelegn was killed in Meragna Constituency in Mida Woremu Woreda.Which was very much Untrue m, such kind of blatant lie has to stop.
Family of the deceased said Wedu was not a witness of CUD. They added, he rather had served as a team leader in development activities undertaken by the government.

Chief Sergeant Yesuf Legesse told journalists that the suspect has given his word that his motive to kill Wedu was vengeance.

Chief Sergeant Yesuf said CUD?s allegation that Wedu was killed in ambush while he was coming to testify in favour of CUD?s election complaints is simply baseless.

Do we NEED more lies? not me- may be Mamo qilo & Others, they are addicted to lies , like there BOSS

let me put those words from Tim clark about the investigation , to which the so-called Oppostion party has rejected , this is another blow to there sinister motive.
"[NEBE] is conducting the contested result investigation in a good manner and [with] professionalism under difficult circumstances," he said. "I myself participated in one investigation in one area to see how it worked. It was a fascinating and unique process as no other country in the world has gone through the same process like here.
SO NOMORE CRYING BABY----case is closed .

MAMO QILO!

YOU ARE TOLD ENOUGH. IF YOU HAVE THE MORAL TO LISTEN TO THE BEST ADVISE ONE CAN OFFER, PLEASE DO AND GUIDE YOUR LIFE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.