Ethiopian Review Readers Forum

Ethiopian Review Readers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Survey: Do you believe EU & USA contributed to outcome of the Election Results?

SURVEY:

1. Do you believe the EU and US contributed to the
outcome of the Election results?

2. Do you believe the investigation process was free
from tampering by NEB and the ruling party rigging?

3. Do you believe that EU and US observers were aware
of NEB's bad faith and ongoing cheating in the
investigation process?

4. Do you believe the EU and US observes could have
intervened to make the process fair and ransparent?

5. Do you believe EU and US went along knowing that
the process was not fair?

6. What could or should the opposition party have one?

7. Do you believe that the opposition did all that
they could possibly do?

8. Do you believe the people in Ethiopia will
reluctantly accept the unfair results?

9. Do you believe Anna Gomez who is believed to have
witnessed NEB’s bias and the violence against the
opposition party’s supporters, was censured by Tim
Clark?

Re: Survey: Do you believe EU & USA contributed to outcome of the Election Results?

Beheg,

Your survey is timely and appropriate. As far as I concerned EU and USA observers including Tim Clarke and the USA ambassador handily contributed to the biased results favoring the ruling party. They effectively allowed the NEB and ruling party to subvert the investigation process to circumvent the will of the people. They did nothing to correct the improprieties taking place including the government's violence and killings against the opposition representatives as well as the elected officials.

I am rationally outraged!!!

I am sure any decent and fair minded, democarticaly inclined true Ethiopian would be livid and outraged at such travesty of justice and fair play!

Marcos

Re: Survey: Do you believe EU & USA contributed to outcome of the Election Results?

Bheg Amilack

I was convinced from the start that EU and USA mediators were setting up the opposition with the signing of the agreement. Was it not strange that the so called mediators did not intervene with the ruling party for the release of the imprisoned members of the oposition party?

That peculiar lack of intervention was what convinced me that (a)the oppositions was being set-up, (b) The so called EU &USA mediators were providing legitimacy (cover) for NEB & the ruling party to subvert the electoral and investigation process, while concurrently the ruling party was imprisoning, beating, and killing elected opposition MPs, members of the opposition's election process, and citizens supporters.

We Ethiopians once again tragically find ourselves at the threshold of national calamity that will dwarf the previous 14 years of purgatory.

Rahel
Long Live Ethiopia!

Rahel:

You took the words right out of my mind. Thank you for speaking my mind. I will just add that I am extremely disappointed that the opposition put its total trust in the EU and USA mediation to mitigate the disputed ballots and election results. How naive could they be, not to reject the entire process and call for new elections in all the disputed election regions. Did we give them more credit than they really deserved? Is this the result of their collective blunder and lack of a common objective against a common enemy of Ethiopia?

Tank you Rahel and Beheg

Who from every corner of Ethiopia does not believe that this election was rigged and doomed to failure from the start? Nevertheless, the people demonstrated their democratic will by overwhelmingly voting against the ruling party.

Among the supporters of the ruling party a majority of so called EPRDF/TPLF coalition and TPLF supporters secretly voted for the opposition. Except for Mels’ henchmen and NEB, everyone else voted for the opposition. OH, I beg your pardon, now we know that EU and USA are among the supporters of TPLF/Meles who ruled against the will of the Ethiopian people.

Yemane

Ethiopia shall rise once again and see her Glory

Mr. Clarke,

What in the world are you thinking? Where is your sense of morality, ethics and justice? How could you capitulate to such egregious and unjust ruling that betrays the hopes and democratic aspirations of 77 million Ethiopians?

Do not believe that Ethiopians are civilized enough to merit democracy in the same way as 4 million Ukrainians?

Is democracy for the western society only?

How can you live with your conscience knowing what you truthfully know to be wrong?

Where is your courage to stand up for what is is fair, just, and ethical?

We Ethiopians belive in our old adage that says, "An honest person would choose to render the truth and lose than to lie and win"

The proper thing for you to do is to declare the entire election defective and uncertifiable, and call for a new election. If that verdict was good enough in the case of Ukraine, it should be good enough for Ethiopians.

We Ethiopians like Ukrainians chose Democracy over tyrany and dictatorship. Why is that impossible for EU to accept?

May your conscience prevail upon you!

Guys and girls,

Let us not jump to conclusion. The leaders of opposition did an excellent job. Their decision to sign the agreement was a sign of maturity not a sign lack of resolve or naivite. It is a protracted struggle. They are in Ethiopia paying the ultimate sacrifice and fighting a very tenatious enemy which enjoys the power of the sate machinery and the support of the international public.

So please spae them your lecture from 12000 miles away from it all. Support them right or wrong, theyhave moved the opposition movemnt that we never thoguth possible. Let us remember that we were criticizing them when they agreed to participate i the election. In hindsight we know that was the right decision. Again let us give them the support they need. We have the likes of Gebreselassie and Ibrahim who are working 24 hours a day trying to discredit the opposition leaders. Let us not be their foot soldiers. In short if we cannot contribute to the strugle, let us shut up. Any question?

Mamo Qilo

For the greedy west their choice is always a person who doesnt challenge their authority. The following is Meles Zenawi's first assignment fourteen years ago.
"A policy framework paper (PFP) stipulating the precise changes to be carried out in Ethiopia had been carefully drafted in Washington by IMF and The world bank officials on behalf of the transitional government, and was forwarded to Addis Ababa for the signature of the mnister of finance.The enforcemnt of sever austerity measures virtually foreclosed the possiblity of a meaningful post-war reconstration and the rebuilding of the country's shattered infratructure. The creditors demanded trade libralzition and the full-scale privatization of public utilities, financial institutions, state farms and factories. Civil servants including teachers and health workers were fired, wages were frozen and the labor laws were rescinated to enable state enterprises "to shed their surplus workers". Meanwhile, corruption became rampant. State assets were auctioned off to foreign capital at bargain prices and PRICE WATER HOUSE COOPER was entrusted with the task of coordinating the sale of state property".
The coming assignment to Meles Zenawi is to change our nation's flag by a corporate logos of the west.

Demanding revote would be the right avenue for the opposition. However, how sure we are whether we get enough international observers for thousands polling station if EU and USA have already decided the out come in favor of ruling party.

Email: helina1967

Abide by legal principles
Ø In the previous regimes political power was an instrument in the hands of few gathered around Haile Sellassie and Mengistu. The vast majority, the oppressed people of nations and nationalities were absolutely condemned to lack of free and equal rights. They were forced to sing about the infallibility of the rulers. When appropriate, political power was applied for suppressing the resistance of the people struggle for democracy. In this respect political power in the hands of EPRDF has proved to be different in essence form that of the Imperial and derge regimes. Citizens including functionaries of those regimes enjoy free and equal rights at full scale . As a result all citizens participate in deciding the destiny of the country. We have a federal system of government practiced by electing representatives of the citizens by the citizens. This is what is called indirect participation. When a representative is found guilty of serious weaknesses of expectations citizens have the right and power to pull him out of the parliament seat and replace him by a representative who is considered to be reliable. This is what is called direct participation in the political system of government established in the context of the constitution.
Ø The political system we are in demands every body to respect democratic principles practiced in civilized world. As there are free and equal rights any opinion be it positive in encouraging democratic way of life or negative in causing the political system to appear evil in the eyes of citizens inside the country or the international community provided it is legal is respected. Diversification of opinions is in line with the system. Political groupings are permissible on the basis of political point of view one could possibly uphold. As far as it is in the context of the constitution political parties and individual citizens have full right to run for any level of political power. And citizens can cast votes for any party or individual whom they consider represent their wills and wishes. Competing forces are obliged to accept election results. If a force comes up with any alleged injustice can present its case for the electoral board for investigation. If the decision of the investigation is considered unacceptable the road to the legal court is wide open.

Ø The said principles are currently put in practice. As this is the case there is no ground for any fraud. Any effort to call on the electoral board to stop working in line with democratic principles would be farcical and characteristic of those beasts in the forest. Real human beings have human values Any effort to cling to power despite being rejected by the majority vote does not contribute to strengthen democracy in this country. Any act guided by destructive ego will not pay off , rather it may result in permanent disappearance from the democratically and legally constructed political arena of the country. The peaceful and democratic forum does not attract those who commit to any form of violence. Linkage with a chorus of ISEPA and MEISON type of complaints does not smell of democracy which the civilized world appreciates. Therefore we expect of the opposition parties especially CUD and UEDF to exhibit determination and firmness of purpose which should be guided by the democratic principles. Even if you have inflated opinion of yourselves, what one expects from you is nothing but to be abided by the legal principles stipulated in the constitution.

Yidenkal,

Who is the beast? The party that orders the murder of innocent and unarmed demonstrators or CUD who is peaccefully demanding that EPRDF should respect the voice of the people? Before lecturing others about the principles of democracy, it would not hurt you to refresh yourself with basic text books on democracy.

You come across not as an eductaed person, but a moron and a tribal bandit.

Mamo Qilo

Because you are foolish (gilu), you can not graspe what is said.I did not say you are beasts.Atleast you speak,listen , read and write.These in general put you in human category.What I tried to tell is,your acts are characteristic of those beasts in forests.You are human beings resembling wild beasts in acts.In particular your intelligence is not fulfledged to put you among human beings proper.Read the following as reading is among you capabilities.
Investigation into alleged fraud continued in line you agreed ,signed and accepted.When you realized things could not progress in line with your design,the outcome would fully expose your fraudulent efforts,started barking and beating with words everybody on earth including AU,EU,USA,TIME CLARK,US AMBASSADOR to ETHIOPIA.What can I say when faced with such act? Is it not the irrational and aggressive feature of your character I am comfronted with? This justifies that you are not developed to a stag where you enjoy human qualities.As far as you are not lucky enough to show basic human features at full scale you are not able to understand and respect in practice what you say democracy.Your level of thinking tells you are still in the kingdom of BEASTS.The fact that you read ,listen and write only can not be the basis to consider you FULFLEDGED.

Suppression of opposing ideas is the democracy you want to exercise.BULSREETS

Yibekal,

I saw your first message. I was ignoring you on purpose. You do not have to keep responding to yourself. You are in my "to ignore" list. Sorry.

Mamo Qilo

SURVEY:

1. Do you believe the EU and US contributed to the
outcome of the Election results?

Yes. On balance their contribution has been very negative when it comes to Ethiopians asserting their democratic rights. The tried to turn victory to defeat to the people of Ethiopia and the opposition parties.

2. Do you believe the investigation process was free
from tampering by NEB and the ruling party rigging?

Absolutely no. Nobody, whether favouring TPLF or the opposition, expected NEB to be neutral. Tampering is too weak a term to describe what NEB did. What NEB did goes beyond tampering.

3. Do you believe that EU and US observers were aware
of NEB's bad faith and ongoing cheating in the
investigation process?

Yes. It will be insulting EU and US observers' intelligence to even contemplate that they were oblivious to how NEB was conducting its business. What NEB was doing before, during and after the election was too obvious for anyone not to notice.

4. Do you believe the EU and US observes could have
intervened to make the process fair and ransparent?

Absolutely, if they wanted to. They did change outcomes of elections in other places. What stops them in Ethiopia if they wished the election to be fair?

5. Do you believe EU and US went along knowing that
the process was not fair?

Yes. The true outcome of the election is not difficult for the EU and the US to know. I think they even projected a victory for the opposition. they overlooked and suppressed the truth perhaps because they think the truth does not serve their immediate interest. And unfortunately often these decisions are based on a short-term interest.

6. What could or should the opposition party have one?

Difficult to say. All they should be, and I believe they are, doing is to submit their concerns to the people of Ethiopia. Then with some good leadership the people can secure the true result of their vote.

7. Do you believe that the opposition did all that
they could possibly do?

Not sure. I have heard Dr Taye Woldesemaiat appealing to the opposition to work with civic organization and also not to negotiate people's vote. How closely civic organizations and opposition parties are working together is still not clear. Ultimately it should be the people who should decide what is acceptable.

Leaders of the opposition are under undue pressure from the powerful governments to accept a negotiated settlement which in reality means the coronation of Meles. If we consider how much change has been lately introduced to paralyse the parliament and the opposition parties, accepting what Meles is offering will be a defeat to the people of Ethiopia.

One thing the opposition is not heard demanding enough is the release of unlawfully detained Ethiopians, including newly elected member(s) of parliament and supporters of the opposition.

8. Do you believe the people in Ethiopia will
reluctantly accept the unfair results?

My guess is Yes and No. If leaders of the opposition suggest acceptance of the unfair result, the people will accept the result. But they will not be happy about it. If on the other hand, if leaders of the opposition reject the outcome, then the same people who shook TPLF from its core through their determined vote against TPLF dominance will free themselves from the yoke of TPLF. Peacefully, I hope.

9. Do you believe Anna Gomez who is believed to have
witnessed NEB’s bias and the violence against the
opposition party’s supporters, was censured by Tim
Clark?

Yes, she has been censured but not by Tim Clark. The US will be the biggest force in silencing her. She does not report to the US but the US has its ways of pulling the strings.

Survey,

Of course EU, UK, USA, US Congress, NEB Tim Clarke, Anna Gomez unequivocally contributed in the mockery of the so-called electoral kangaroo theater of the Ethiopian Election. Anyone who believed the election process would start and end in a democratic process is not in touch with reality.

For those of you who put your faith in the west for the salvation of Ethiopia, I am sorry for you to be disappointed and betrayed. It serves you right!for trusting ferenjis with a forked tongues

Ethiopians and the opposition leaders should have from the start relied on the people's power and resolve instead of the benevolence of the west.

The west always preference to aly with tyrants and dictators to control the third world people. The west does not believe that democracy is suitable for Africa. Democracy is a rule of governance exclusivey suited for western societies. The West believes that the best way to govern Africans is through dictators and tyrants.

The West is not ready to allow African to be in the same political league with the west. According to the West, Africans should not be equal partners with the west. The west also considers it an insult to their civilization to be on par with Africans.

When you consider the above and all of the other western idiosyncrasies, it goes to reason not to promote and install democracy in Ethiopia.

I truly believe that Ethiopia’s urgent struggle ought to be getting rid of the dictator TPLF/Woyane. The opposition and all freedom yearning Ethiopians should struggle to overthrow the fascist regime by any means necessary, instead of lamenting over a failed democratic process. It is never late to win freedom. The antidote for the evil dictator TPLF/Meles is people power and their determination to oust the dictator at any cost, peacefully or otherwise, but certainly not through the electoral process.

Remember, TPLF/Woyane did not assume power through democratic process and they have no benevolent inclination to give it up democratically.

So, my fellow Ethiopians, unless we ready for the ultimate sacrifice, stop the rhetoric and the self-delusion, and go about your daily lamentation while waiting for an illusive miracle.

Me.com

Andinet,

Thank you for your precise and factual response to the survey. I could not have answer it better, you speak for many Ethiopians loudly and truthfully.

I also, moved by Me.com and his comment. I think Me.com makes a very realistic and pragmatic comment that we all need to come to terms with. This is perhaps the ultimate test for all Ethiopians. How badly do Ethiopians want freedom?

Personally, I am and willing to pay the ultimate price, as I know many Ethiopians are. Melse know it and we need to call his bluff about that he has the military at his disposal to crush any struggle for freedom. Melse and the ruling TPLF elites know secretly that they are not certain about the loyalty of the armed forces. I truly believe this is the time to put the military to the test, given the fact that the air force has declared its non-allegiance to Meles. I am confident that the rest of the armed service will follow suit. And that, I believe will be the first defeat and the end for Meles and his murderous thugs.

Beheg-Amlack

What Western powers and Meles are now imposing on Ethiopians is as unjust as what they did during and after the war with Isayas Afeworki over Badem. They favoured the unjust invader. Even after his devastating defeat in the battlefield they wanted Isayas to appear justified and victorious by awarding him Badem the very territory which gave reason for the battle.

And now, the people of Ethiopia have defeated Meles through their vote. But Meles with his Western supporters are giving Ethiopians ultimatum to submit to the wishes of Meles, leader of the defeated party. This is again an attempt to turn a well-earned victory into defeat for the people of Ethiopia. Very sad!